Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Problem description: Just installed a new graphics card (NVIDIA 4070), and now, regardless of what audio source I select in windows (the default audio out from my motherboard or the two NVIDIA audio paths to my two monitors) none of them are sending any sound to my extremely basic computer speakers. My first instinct is to contact somebody's customer support, but whose? NVIDIA? Gigabyte, who made the motherboard? (technically, it's also a gigabyte video card as well, but I'm having trouble finding where I can actually attempt to contact them on their website, it keeps sending me to enterprise support and I am obviously not a business) microsoft, because it's their OS that's making GBS threads the bed in this process? I just want to be able to watch a video and hear the poo poo that's happening.

Attempted fixes: So obviously the first step is to see what's out there on the googles and reddits. Lots of people complaining about similar issues, no solid guaranteed fixes - a lot of "oh, I just restarted and it was fine" or "I did XY and Z, and that fixed it" followed immediately by "XYZ didn't work for me, I had to do ABC" followed immediately by "only an idiot would do either of those, I did both and it still doesn't work" etc. Plenty of classic tech support thread nonsense.

My first step was obviously to check and recheck my connections, I'd just been down under the desk unplugging and replugging all my poo poo, best to make sure I was in the right port, etc. I was.
Next was ensuring that windows had the correct audio device selected as default. It was.
Third was to just go with the flow and instead plug my speakers into the headphone jacks on my monitors and to try flipping the default sound output in windows to both NVIDIA options, to make sure that I was trying both. (the monitors only have a headphone jack for a TRS plug, not a line out.) No dice.
Seeing other people suggest this in various support threads, I tried going to device manager and disabling both the NVIDIA High Definition Audio and NVIDIA Virtual Audio Device, in an attempt to get the default realtek audio going again. Nada.
I considered uninstalling them entirely, but saw people arguing in those same threads that that can cause problems and thus have not.
I've gone ahead and reinstalled the audio drivers for my motherboard's audio device. still nothing.
probably going to go and try reinstalling my video drivers in a moment, because I'm at the point where I just shrug and hate my computer

ETA: reinstalled graphics drivers, uninstalled nvidia audio factors, no dice. windows clearly recognizes that there are sound sources playing over the selected output device, the digital VU meters are bouncing, but the sound doesn't appear to be coming out the appropriate port for that output device. Going to bed.

ETA2: would sidestepping both devices by buying an actual sound card work? or would I just be adding another sound source that won't do poo poo?

ETA3: I think the thing that really galls me is that windows recognizes when speakers are plugged into and unplugged from the motherboard's audio-out jack, and will disable the device if the speakers aren't plugged in. The speakers still work, i just plugged them into my phone and that outputs fine. but for whatever reason, there's no signal coming out of the audio-out jack. I don't think it's physically damaged in some way, because otherwise it wouldn't be recognizing that the speakers are plugged in.

Recent changes: The aforementioned graphics card and a fresh pair of monitors.

--

Operating system: Win10 Pro 64-bit

System specs: Home-built. X570 Aorus Elite Wifi motherboard, Ryzen 7 3700X, NVIDIA 4070, 32 GB RAM (forget what brand), 2x LG 27GR93U monitors, some dirt-basic logitech speakers

Location: USA, but I sleep days and work evenings, so my available hours are more like somebody living in eastern Australia

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes

hexwren fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Mar 29, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Make sure W10 is fully updated and then run DDU: https://www.wagnardsoft.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=4884 and then reinstall the latest GPU drivers.

If that doesn't work then I'd make sure you're using the latest motherboard BIOS.

hexwren posted:

I considered uninstalling them entirely, but saw people arguing in those same threads that that can cause problems and thus have not.

That would be another option.

hexwren posted:

ETA2: would sidestepping both devices by buying an actual sound card work? or would I just be adding another sound source that won't do poo poo?

It could but that wouldn't be the optimal solution.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

A thousand apologies for not getting back to this thread immediately, I absolutely appreciate the time taken to respond. This weekend's been a mess.

I already had uninstalled the nvidia audio components from the device manager, to no avail. No change to the overall situation.

I actually went in reverse order from your suggestions and updated my bios first, and then went ahead and used DDU and then reinstalled the graphics drivers from scratch. Still nothing.

Eventually I gave up and bought a HDMI->TRS dongle and am now running audio out through the video card, which is good enough I guess for right now. Still might get a proper sound card, if just so I don't have the additional couple of wires here and can just keep these two separate processes separate.