Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grandicap
Feb 8, 2006

I decided to go back to my origins and go for a simple jewish dumpling, the potato knish. The problem with that is that most of them use schmaltz and butter and cream and all sorts of non-vegan things. So we'll just wing it!

Start with the filling. A potato based thing, and since there is no butter or cream, let's add in some extra flavors from parsley, rosemary and spinach along with the usual sauteed onion and garlic.

Dicing up the greens and the aliums, then let that spinach wilt away into a much smaller volume.

While that's happening peel your taters and cut into smaller chunks so they cook faster. Then chuck in some boiling, salted water. Ignore the veg bits floating in the water, it isn't important.

When they yeild easily to the prodding of a fork, drain, add to the green stuff with some salt and mash with a fork. Or the back of a spoon. Or a potato masher. Add salt and pepper to taste. Whatever you use, try not to overwork it as it will become gummy.

This needs to cool completely so you have some time to work on your dough. It's a pretty simple dough.

Mix two an a half cup flour with 3/4ths cup of water, 1 TSP vinegar, 1 TSP baking powder and 1/2 TSP salt. Bring it together in a mixer, then stream in a half cup of vegetable oil. Don't overmix.

Let rest for at least an hour. Divide your dough and then think you have an awesome idea and send 1 of your dough lumps through your pasta sheeter instead of using a rolling pin.

This was not a good idea, the dough was more elastic than a pasta dough and it kept springing back and it just wasn't much fun. Also the one resource I saw for shaping knish was to do a long sheet, do a line down the middle of filling, cover with a second sheet, then just cut them out into squares. This was not good and leaked filling. I only used this method for a quarter of the dough.

The rest, I just put down a small blob of dough, flattened it into a circle, put the filling in the center, then very poorly pulled the dough up around the filling to the center, twist a little, then do the same. Like a stuffed bao. But I am terrible at the pleats, but at least it kept the filling in the middle, and the dough was reasonably thin without it busting out. Apparently I didn't take a picture of the lined up knish after filling, but here are 4 in the basked of a deep fryer.

Speaking of which. I felt bad that I only had 1 dish for this ICSA so I decided to cook it 3 ways to fake having 3 dishes. I Baked some (the sheeted ones since I wasn't sure if they would just leak all over the fryer), Fried some, and Steamed some.

Cross section.

Now for dips. A good Knish needs only some spicy brown mustard. A bad Knish can be saved by a spicy brown mustard. So that's what I did. I won't say which category my knish fell into.

Who am I kidding, of course I will say. They were fine. My biggest problem was that I used too much rosemary so they were very strongly rosemary-y. I could have easily halved the rosemary I used. But it and the parsley were from my garden so I had loads. I also thought cooking it down that much would lessen the flavor, I was wrong.
But with enough spicy brown mustard, even the most rosemary of sins is covered up.
As far as the different cooking methods goes. The fried and the baked tasted remarkably similar except that fried, as always, was better. The steamed knish had an entirely different dough texture. Gummy, but not in a bad way, it was a pleasant chew. I would still go with the fried version if making them again, but it was a fun experiment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
don't think i've ever had a knish and now i want to try one

especially as someone who loves rosemary these look great!

Griddle of Love
May 14, 2020

Apparently the leaking filling is a feature sometimes?

In any case, these look delicious and together with the wonton make me genuinely think having a deep fryer would be nice (in truth, it would very likely be devastating for my eating habits).

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Those are some tasty looking knish, I might have to try making the non-vegan version

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Stupendous! I love knishes. One of my favorite foods. Potato knishes are the best because potatoes are the best. Never heard of making them in a long sheet/log style. Maybe it would work better if you did it ravioli style and put blobs of filling. But I think rolling out individual knishes is the way to go.

Grandicap
Feb 8, 2006

TychoCelchuuu posted:

Stupendous! I love knishes. One of my favorite foods. Potato knishes are the best because potatoes are the best. Never heard of making them in a long sheet/log style. Maybe it would work better if you did it ravioli style and put blobs of filling. But I think rolling out individual knishes is the way to go.

Once I started doing individual it was so easy, I don't know how many I would have to be making for the log style to be more efficient.

Ulillinguist
Dec 17, 2011

It's not easy being 40C000
Parallaxing to the Xtreme
This looks like perfect comfort food. I would definitely make these, especially with the mustard dip!

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty
These seem like a satisfying bite.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

digitalist
Nov 17, 2000

journey into Kirk's unknown

I love potatoes and combining them with parsley, rosemary, onions, garlic, and spinach looks delicious. I'm wondering what adding vegan butter would do, and I think I'll have to find out :) Looks amazing!