Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate
Is the game early access enough that they will wipe progress at some point?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Unlikely, while clearly being early access they're acting like this is the 1.0 retail release lol

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Hyper Inferno posted:

The biggest difference I found was when I sat down and just did the pillar+generators build to really amp up my core output. I dislike that build aesthetically but it truly is effective at boosting core output.

Something else that helped me bootstrap my way into bigger City runs was by sending recovered blueprints back by drones. This meant that even if I lost the run at the end, I'd at least be able to start researching the next tier of upgrades.

I'll probably have an hour or so free tonight if you want to do co-op at that point at around 8:00 PM pacific. We can try a max extract on City 1 and see how that goes. With multiple people, looting should go a lot faster. Steam profile name is: hyper.inferno.

I added you, thanks. I dont have enough to build a drone yet, and i've been playing coop so it would suck to send back a BP only I get.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Oh, one important thing that I did miss until just now is that the trader actually offers quite a few of the base resources you need for a lot of intermediary materials and certain components (particularly lumber and scrap metal). I've been constantly low on a few of those, and now that I could just buy a decent supply I was able to just pile boatloads of utility walls and small generators into my interior that just about doubled my core output.

That said, I still can't find a turret nexus for the life of me. I got bases and barrels out the rear end but can't do anything with them :negative:

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
Another source of low rarity goods are the dispatch missions. They're a small but steady source of additional goods. Most notably they can also give you 10+ research points which is actually pretty good. As long as you don't take the hazard bonus, you won't risk losing your recruits either.

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
Anyone else interested in joining tonight? Probably will be starting closer to 830 or so.

Now seems like a good time to ask as well, what's the hotkey to type? Still haven't figured that out.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Hyper Inferno posted:

Anyone else interested in joining tonight? Probably will be starting closer to 830 or so.

Now seems like a good time to ask as well, what's the hotkey to type? Still haven't figured that out.

I'll be around all weekend, had d&d last night.

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

I haven't seen it posted yet but make sure you explore the base, there is a fairly large number of paint schemes hidden all over the place.

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
Largely inspired by Runa's design (mostly the launch runways for the mechs), this is the progression of my base:

I didn't have enough materials for a second mech at this point and didn't realize that even though the mechs take off at a pretty high speed the ramps don't actually give much height to clear how tall the CIWS turrets are. The guardian fabricator in the rear of the base was cute, popping guardians out from the roof.

I decided I needed more artillery instead of a second mech hanger, so I converted the second runway into artillery space. Also moved the guardian fabricators up front since I was tired of having to path my guardians around from the back of the base each time they spawned. The random MG turrets on the upper levels were so I could take Nebula cards when farming Snow 4 without worrying too much.

I'm trying my best not to use the first level engine room design that's popular on the Discord where the entire first floor is boxed in, filled with pillars/battery packs/material storage, with an ammo loop circling the entire base. I kind of like the hectic nature of grabbing ammo and funneling it into an autoloader. Anyway, I got enough materials for the second tier mech and with ATC level 10 had enough space to build extra height for more guns. The big empty space on top is for a cruiser cannon when I get the materials for it and the two frontal outposts will probably replaced with Hellfires once I get enough materials for those.

Although thinking about it some more, I know another design I want to build eventually.

The extraction tower is even already there!

Too bad I won't be able to make it transform.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

That's a darn fine design! I kinda wish I had set out a specific platform for a cruiser cannon because now I have one on top of one of my hangars and it's really unbalanced compared to the twin 105mm on the other side lmao

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i wish i could find the snow factory. i've done multiple full loops on difficulty 4, but it just won't spawn for me. i've done some coop in city, and i don't want to take my base there without bigger guns.

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
Up to this point, the things that have been the biggest threats to me that I've changed how I play the game are:

• Forgetting to reload ammo
  • EMI Tanks card (the ones that spawn the glowy orange shields)
  • Envoy spawn card
  • Nebula spawn card

Forgetting to reload ammo is such a silent killer. Early on, there'd be times where I was doing fine during the extraction and then all of a sudden I get run over. Keeping track of manual reloads on a lot of guns is really hard without wasting ammo and it takes a bit to get a second ammo maker, let alone the auto-loader. If you're still hurting on finding materials for an auto reloader, I would highly recommend boosting core output instead of putting more guns down because the micromanagement in reloading guns is seriously hard unless you have excellent base design.

The EMI tank card was the next big killer for me. Even if you've got your ammo reloading figured out, the EMI tanks hang so far back from the other enemies that your turrets won't be able to reach them unless you have artillery do it for you. If you're focused on refilling ammo, you might not even notice that those tanks are just making you waste significant amounts of ammo as your turrets hit the shielded enemies. I resolved this by slotting in some mid-long range XENs so I could snipe the EMIs ASAP. This also helped with dealing with high priority apostle targets (re: Railgun Apostle).

The Envoy spawn card was surprising compared to how much of a chump those enemies are on nodes. They're pretty easy to kill on tour mission maps and their only real gimmick is that they don't have a mini-map ping. Turns out, that mini-map ping is really really important when you're multitasking during extraction. If you're staring at command mode all the time shuffling guardians/knights around, checking ammo on turrets, upgrading turrets, firing artillery at the giant enemy spawners, it's really easy to miss that a group of 5 Envoy enemies spawned next to your building and are starting to tear it apart. They also like to spam grenades as soon as they spawn so they can really seriously damage your base if you don't address them quick enough. Thankfully, they seem to spawn in a pretty set position, so as long as you know where they're going to be, it's worth setting up some deployable turrets around their spawn to just spawn camp them. Gotta keep track of it though, even if you kill them nearly ASAP they can still whittle down whatever you place.

Lastly, the Nebula air drop. I had heard horror stories about this one but was thinking just how bad could it be if I was easily able to hold the forward most outpost in Snow 3? Turns out, really bad. If you have all your turrets facing forward and only artillery or long range turrets on your top most level, those Nebulas are going to drop in right on your blindspot. I end up skipping the Nebula card most of the time now unless I really really think I can handle it.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
getting a long range xen is a huge change. there are so many jerks that need to be sniped and you just can't do so until you get a lucky drop of heavy (or inferno, surprisingly). there are far more special attack morphs with long cooldowns than there are ones that can function as a normal gun.

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

getting a long range xen is a huge change. there are so many jerks that need to be sniped and you just can't do so until you get a lucky drop of heavy (or inferno, surprisingly). there are far more special attack morphs with long cooldowns than there are ones that can function as a normal gun.

Inferno is honestly amazing with Fae. Pop that skill at almost ANYTHING is dead before it goes on cooldown.

I've got 2 main gun variants I've been running lately:

A Inferno+(laser wall or whatever it's called that mulches waves)+a fun 3rd. It's flashy in the best way.

A Heavy+Shotgun+Missile that is pure point and shoot death to anything you point it at.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Sometimes I go to edit my base and a bunch of my machine guns are red and it says I have insufficient of them, why?

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
Some items take items that already exist. Like I think CIWS requires MG turrets to craft. The crafting takes into account ones you have deployed to see if you can craft it, so unless you have a surplus it will take them off of your outpost.

Blast Arrow or whatever the default secondary is on the basic gun is pretty good at sniping priority targets as long as you can get used to the firing arc. It's not nearly as strong as the best late game options but it definitely still chunks the enemy for a pretty decent amount.

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

Ok, people weren't kidding about the Recovery Day ramp up of City Ruins vs ANYTHING else.

I thought I was ready.

I was nowhere near ready.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Yeah it happens to literally everyone

It's great

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

Runa posted:

Yeah it happens to literally everyone

It's great

I don't even want to elaborate more, it was such a system shock I don't want to deprive others of it.

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
The new ramps in testing in the PTR have some fun applications.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Hyper Inferno posted:

The new ramps in testing in the PTR have some fun applications.

lmao

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i went with a pretty basic square building with platforms sticking out of it. any time i get tempted to get more creative with my layout i remember how onerous is it to actually use the building interface.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

I don't mind outpost building when it comes to actual layout and placing guns (though I still usually end up with a plain box with guns on top :v:), but drat putting the dozens of utility walls, generators, and batteries in there every time does get old. Same with placing the platforms as floors and ceilings, those could really benefit from a hold-and-drag quick placing tool.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Yeah making an outpost is fiddly work to a frankly unnecessary degree

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
I'm really disappointed that Turbine Barrel uncharges after using the sword attack on a Hare. I was all pumped to try out gigantic shotgun blasts with the trait that gives extra damage after using the sword slash with turbine but that combo doesn't work sadly.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"
Nice to see that they are still planning on adding more to building.

I kind of hit a wall with the game after reaching the "cliffhanger" of waiting for the devs to finish the main campaign and having the worst luck farming red resources. I still don't have a hellfire turret or the cruiser cannons, and all I want is to build a Gurren Lagann-style landship that can automatically generate ammo boxes so I can hop into mechas and fly around the battlefield to rain down bullets, missiles, and death.

I also want something that has, like, a sliver of a chance against loving Crius.

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate
The chatter in here about the game got me intrigued, so I picked it up. It is definitely jank, but I've seen worse. If nothing else, this is a fairly competent combination of far more disparate game conventions than I would first expect.

Edit: I would also be up for playing with goons, evenings PST/weekends. Have a newborn though so not doing unbroken continuous play. 22187841 steam code.

Moonshine Rhyme fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Apr 23, 2024

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate
I would very much like to have a weapons box that I can build onto my Outpost that retains its inventory so I could reasonably bring The giant boxes of ammo into missions to use them without gimping my backpack for the run/first loot run.

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
One way to do that would be to bring all that ammo and then immediately dump it into the container. You can then take the ammo back out during extraction to put into your inventory. Alternatively, if you have guardian fabricators, gather 300 resources over the course of the first node to build a mule then ferry all the ammo into the mule since that will carry over from node to node.

I also bring a ton of ammo and just put it into autoloaders at the start of each tour but not sure if you have those unlocked yet.

Over the course of my last several play sessions I've been chipping away at a max extract, max cards city 4 since there were like 30 nodes to visit. Completely overwhelmed me on recovery day by the time the first apostles spawned. Deleted all the cards except the item duplicating ones and it was much more manageable. The 30% buffs really do add up on the incoming horde. Made it out with 10+ reds through doubled cards.

All my purples and golds were shoved into mules. Say hello!

Hyper Inferno fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Apr 24, 2024

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

Yeah, the autoloader is quite valuable just as a way to stow ammo. Any ammo or shells in an autoloader or ammo maker also gets extracted at the end of recovery, so there's every reason to bring in a full stock of ammo boxes for however many loaders you have.

Other inventory tricks:
-anything you have held in-hand will persist with you from day to day, and can get extracted with you. You can use this to take along things that don't fit in your pack, like power cells or turret guns (though I don't think those extract with you, sadly).
-pack mules will also persist their inventory day-to-day and extract if you bring them into the lander with you.
-at some point your backpack will be larger than the grid shown in recovery day. Hope that gets fixed, but for now, make sure that your bottom row (and any additional blocks of space from end-of-day events) are full up on stuff you want to take with you on the last day.

Zomborgon fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Apr 24, 2024

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate
Sounds like the autoloader is what I'm looking for. Couple of tours into Snow 1, recovery days still pretty easy but I could see them getting crazy if I let them push to my Outpost. Enjoying the basic loop of the game and I do hope they keep adding more and polishing things at a reasonable pace.

Price was right though, even without a sale.

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate
Infinity siege mode is a good break from tour grinding the snow region, feels like a more straightforward way to get real combat and test your outpost. Could stand to have better rewards, but definitely glad to have the option!

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
According to the PTR patch notes, the stealth envoys spawning next to your base in City is actually a bug and will be fixed.

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
I swear, Advanced Armor Tiles are like magic. They need so much less support somehow than regular tiles and can build an extra tile out from the edge too.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

The patch buffed red-tier mat spawn rates, which means I finally got enough Ion Batteries to build a second Cruiser Cannon. This is about as close to the final form of this outpost design barring, just, getting a lot more CIWSes and converting some of them to Hellfires, maybe change the lower flank platforms to Hellfire bases and leave the upper mid-layer into a terraced CIWS gun deck. This layout doesn't have a lot of room for a Turret Override, which has a much chuftier footprint than I was expecting, and I'll probably need to design a different layout to play around with that.

It's not designed for full automation, as the Autoloaders require some babysitting and I only have one Adv. Ammo Maker. If I deprioritized aesthetics and the launch ramp I could probably do a lot more in that regard. But, between the sheer firepower it brings to the table and both the Ranger and Vanguard being very good at specific applications during Recovery Day (headhunting high-priority non-massive threats and blowing up massive bosses, respectively), there's not a lot in City Ruins that's going to be much of a problem for me now.

I have yet to actually progress the main campaign by going into Darkest Before Dawn.

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
Decepticons... prepare to face... Fortress Maximus!

The middle tower could stand to be significantly taller, but I ran into support issues because it's super cramped.

I think I did a decent job emulating the original, although the color palette could use some work.

Edit: Ramps are magic. Was able to represent the gun legs.

Hyper Inferno fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Apr 28, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

lmao

Nice!