Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!
kid meros new podcast victory light is pretty loving good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017
I started listening to this audio drama called "Tower 4". It's basically the game Firewatch, but with deeper characters and a dash of the TV series "Lost"

They're working on the last four episodes right now. It's been entertaining.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I keep trying What a Time to Be Alive but I hate those text to speech drops the sound guy uses to step on the hosts’ lines with comments about what they were talking about a minute back

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Smugworth posted:

The Mod's Mod: a podcast about forum moderation with guests from various internet forums like reddit, bodybuilding.com, and the cartalk forums

Mod Save America

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang
the podcast "dogpatch" is two heavyweight (like, one of them got a chapter devoted to him in the beastie boys book for turning them onto certain records) record collectors from chicago doing deep dives into micro-genres and topics.

the music varies wildly with your tastes but they're good at chatting about rare and weird music (and other topics as warranted) without sounding like what you imagine when you think of somebody being a nerd about obscure music. one episode starts with a matter-of-fact description of the antique brick collecting scene that made me laugh harder than any comedy podcast.

dante is buds with dj shadow and brought him on with zero fanfare for an episode of very weird tracks as "my friend josh". like no mention of who the man is, just friends sharing their weirdest records with each other.

and the episode of unheard curtis mayfield songs, "see them seeing me", is the single greatest podcast i've ever listened to. curtis mayfield is a genius far beyond "move on up" or "we're a winner" and they have outtakes and demos i can't even believe, stuff no one else even knew existed. i revisit it like, weekly.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Deep Glove Bruno posted:

the podcast "dogpatch" is two heavyweight (like, one of them got a chapter devoted to him in the beastie boys book for turning them onto certain records) record collectors from chicago doing deep dives into micro-genres and topics.

the music varies wildly with your tastes but they're good at chatting about rare and weird music (and other topics as warranted) without sounding like what you imagine when you think of somebody being a nerd about obscure music. one episode starts with a matter-of-fact description of the antique brick collecting scene that made me laugh harder than any comedy podcast.

dante is buds with dj shadow and brought him on with zero fanfare for an episode of very weird tracks as "my friend josh". like no mention of who the man is, just friends sharing their weirdest records with each other.

and the episode of unheard curtis mayfield songs, "see them seeing me", is the single greatest podcast i've ever listened to. curtis mayfield is a genius far beyond "move on up" or "we're a winner" and they have outtakes and demos i can't even believe, stuff no one else even knew existed. i revisit it like, weekly.

This sounds great.

I should recommend What Had Happened Was. It’s interviews with people instrumental in the hip hop world that unfold over the length of a season. Prince Paul’s season is amazing, El-P is great, and Dante Ross also has some wild stories.

Prince Paul’s season alone was one of the best shows I’ve heard.

Cassette Moodcore
May 4, 2022

Behind the Bastards
Last Podcast on the Left
Radio Rental
Up and Vanished
You’re Wrong About
Tides of History
Doughboys
Cumtown
AVTalk
Canadaland
Nighttime
Trueanon
True Crime Bullshit

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang

Snowy posted:

This sounds great.

I should recommend What Had Happened Was. It’s interviews with people instrumental in the hip hop world that unfold over the length of a season. Prince Paul’s season is amazing, El-P is great, and Dante Ross also has some wild stories.

Prince Paul’s season alone was one of the best shows I’ve heard.

I will check that out, Prince Paul produced like the first music I ever chose for myself to listen to as a kid - 3rd Bass - and generally just rules. I assume the whole interview isn't done in the weird sex voice he does in the skits on 3rd Bass' and De La's albums.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

SilvergunSuperman posted:

How did this get made is a lot of fun for the first few years, then turns into mostly a lazy live show you can turn off halfway through before it gets to audience interaction and dumb bad singing.

Conan O'Brien made a podcast. He legitimized it

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Dumb Dumbs and Dragons

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Deep Glove Bruno posted:

I will check that out, Prince Paul produced like the first music I ever chose for myself to listen to as a kid - 3rd Bass - and generally just rules. I assume the whole interview isn't done in the weird sex voice he does in the skits on 3rd Bass' and De La's albums.

No weird voices, just some really great interviews and stories. They cover 3rd Bass and so much more. I think you’ll love it!

The Loin King
Feb 16, 2017

Check out this goddamned cat
My smugworth my slugworth and me

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
If Books Could kill - 2 guys dunk on airport pop psychology/sociology/politics books. Gladwell, freakonomics type books.

Maintenance Phase - Guy from podcast above and a self described fat lady talk about fat politics, dieting, fat acceptance. Sometimes they talk about specific fad diets but often it's more on the political end of the spectrum. This pod actually taught me a lot about fatness and fat people and shifted some of my opinions in a positive direction.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

EoinCannon posted:

If Books Could kill - 2 guys dunk on airport pop psychology/sociology/politics books. Gladwell, freakonomics type books.

Maintenance Phase - Guy from podcast above and a self described fat lady talk about fat politics, dieting, fat acceptance. Sometimes they talk about specific fad diets but often it's more on the political end of the spectrum. This pod actually taught me a lot about fatness and fat people and shifted some of my opinions in a positive direction.

Solid rec both of these as well and learned the same from MP.

I also like 5-4 by the other half from IBCK. Its about how lovely the supreme court is on a case by case basis with 3 attorneys hosting.

Id suggest the Bush v Florida ep to jump in if you’re not sure. 20+ years removed its a bit shocking how brazenly the court decided to step in and decide who won.

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Number One I order you to take a number two.

Behind the Bastards
Lions Led by Donkeys
Trash Future
Well There's Your Problem
The Worst of all Possible Worlds

Ones on my list but haven't been keeping current on:

The Greatest Generation
Hood Politics
Knowledge Fight
The Flop House
Get Played
Tech Won't Save Us
Radiolab
Judge John Hodgeman
The Dollop

Say what you will about Conan Needs a Friend but he at least made the ad copy fun to listen to because he intentionally turns it into a train wreck every time.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

The adventure zone is pretty fun, one of the brothers laughs like a beagle boy and that's pretty endearing

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Cum town

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017
I've been trying to find decent audio dramas, but they're so hit and miss. I thought Voyage Media would have some good ones, and the storylines seemed good but the voice acting was on par with first year drama students doing a cold read of the script. It's like that for most of their stuff it seems.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

SilvergunSuperman posted:

The adventure zone is pretty fun, one of the brothers laughs like a beagle boy and that's pretty endearing

oh? this brother mayhap?

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy
Thanks for asking!

Up on, listen every week:

- Segments Amir Blumenfeld & Jake Hurwitz current podcast, reminds me of two morning DJs playing games w/ each other, except actually funny
- Greatest Generation I'm actually deep in the DS9 backlog but I'm actively working through it
- MBMBaM I admit it's hit or miss but still usually more funny than not. Justin's the Best Brother
- Hello From the Magic Tavern Used to listen like mad, got away from it for a while and just recently got back in
- The Word Association Adal Rifai from HFtMT with 2 of his Chicago improviser friends free associate with random words
- Bill Buds John Patrick Coen from Hey Riddle Riddle and his improv friend do song-by-song reviews of Billboard charting albums—mostly from the 90's and 2000's but all are in play
- Hey Riddle Riddle Adal Rifai and JPC along with Erin Kief (another Chicago improviser) solve riddles and call for improv scenes. Very fun energy and it's why I listen to so many of the host's other shows
- The Adventure Zone First campaign was great and every other one has been middling to bad, UNTIL the last one (Steeple Chase) and the current one (Dracula). It's good again now
- NADDPod Easily the best actual play DnD show out there
- Clue Crew (and Review Crew) Hey Riddle Riddles' Patreon podcasts
- Short Rest (and Mixed Bag) NADDPod's Patreon podcasts. Short Rest is legit my favorite podcast.

Check in whenever the topic or guest seems interesting

- Behind the Bastards y'all already know
- The Besties Two McElroy bros plus two of their games journalist friends review video games, especially new releases
- A Hot Dog is a Sandwich Two professional YouTube chefs (Good Mythical Morning's Josh Scherer and Nicole Enayati) debate "controversial" food topics
- Sawbones Justin McElroy and his wife, a practicing doctor, cover weird health topics throughout history
- Go Mode: A Link to the Past Randomizer Podcast Covers the community and game of ALTTPR. I started it 6.5 years ago with another goon, and we've released one episode every two weeks for 150 episodes without fail—or at least we did before going on hiatus literally just last week.

There's many more that either I dropped off on, they ended, I'm behind, w/e that I could list but I think that's enough from me for now

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Call Her Daddy

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

Ones that I listen to when WFH, doing chores, or pushing the toddler for hours on the swing that are not mentioned or under mentioned ITT. Most are low/no ads. I'll tolerate a pre-roll ad on my podcasts but not ad breaks.

You're Wrong About - The Early Episodes just have that vibe of two great hosts, I could listen to the back catalog on repeat even if some of the topics I don't really care about. After Michael leaves I think the show really nosedives.

You're Dead to Me - Light BBC history/comedy podcast. The host is a big Taskmaster fan & a bunch of Taskmaster alum have appeared. 1-2 is a great way to kill a drive.

The Worst of all Possible Worlds - Goon adjacent, at least one of the hosts is/was on here and it's a good deep dive into various media of the past ~20-30 years. I generally only listen if I'm at least a little familiar with the topic.

Futility Closet - Ended a few years ago but there is a ton of back content. Brain teasers, cool history stuff, if you like futilitycloset.com you'll like the podcast I think.

Triple Click - I'm not that much of a 'gamer' but this is intelligent conversation that isn't dry or 'goony' about games & the games industry. Magic format of 3 people who don't suck.

American Revolution Podcast - Great under the radar history pod that starts a little before the Seven Years War and goes, well I don't know, I'm not up to date but the War was over last I checked in. An actual historian.

The Civil War Podcast - There's lots of these but this is the original and IMO most comprehensive

Northwoods Baseball Sleep Radio - I fall asleep to podcasts almost every night and this is a common rotation. It's fake baseball games on the radio, it's low key, it's incredibly charming, occasionally funny if you are actively listening.

Delusions of Grandeur - Star wars legends EU read through. There's another one I like called TK331 but I think most people will find it extremely dry. This one is jazzier with better production and a more digestible format.

This Week in Baseball History - Want to really love this one but they have mismatched audio levels throughout the pod's run which drives me nuts

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe
The one with the fat guy, the skinny guy, and the regular guy, but one of them got mad and left the show and the remaining two never talk about what happened.

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Number One I order you to take a number two.

Bad Purchase posted:

oh? this brother mayhap?

Is this where that loving pixel pug avatar comes from?

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Fabulousity posted:

Is this where that loving pixel pug avatar comes from?

No that's purple haired party dog a popular meme originating here on the forums

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

Extra Large Marge posted:

The one with the fat guy, the skinny guy, and the regular guy, but one of them got mad and left the show and the remaining two never talk about what happened.

lol watching the Last Podcast guys pretend that Ben Kissel doesn't exist aside from thousands of hours of marketable content they're all in.

R.L. Stine
Oct 19, 2007

welcome to dead gay dog house

Bad Purchase posted:

oh? this brother mayhap?

hard to believe it but that's pewdiepie now

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

bus hustler posted:

The Civil War Podcast - There's lots of these but this is the original and IMO most comprehensive

Comprehensive is an understatement. As of today they have 454 episodes and are a little over halfway through the war (they're up to late 1863).

They did 65 episodes on Gettysburg.

I'll add:

WW2 Pod: We Have Ways of Making You Talk - two British dads (one is a well-published historian) talk about WW2 stuff. It's quite engaging.

Perfect Organism
- all about the Alien franchise.

Gom Jabbar - all about Dune, the books and movies.

Legends of the Painty Men - two standup comics who play the tabletop game Age of Sigmar.

Saga Thing - two academics talk about the Icelandic sagas. It's surprisingly funny.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

bus hustler posted:

I can't seem to find this one (on Pocket Casts, at least)?

EDIT: It's listed as "The Civil War & Reconstruction"

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Bottom Liner posted:

I can't seem to find this one (on Pocket Casts, at least)?

Try "The Civil War and Reconstruction," they changed the name a little while ago.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
I'll tell you what podcasts I can't loving stand: absolutely anything from Wondery. What a poo poo house of a production studio/publisher/network/whatever they are.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
I wish the ladies behind stuff you missed in history class could do their podcast without just reading off a script because the topics are interesting but their delivery is just awful.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Behind the Bastards, The Dollop, We're Here to Help

kiminewt
Feb 1, 2022

Bottom Liner posted:

I'll tell you what podcasts I can't loving stand: absolutely anything from Wondery. What a poo poo house of a production studio/publisher/network/whatever they are.

Tides of History is unfortunately on there and it's pretty good.

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

tune the FM in to static and pretend that its the sea
Giving Ologies a shout out, it is a good podcast. The host, Allie Ward, talks to various experts in their fields about genetally science related subjects. The ep with the mycologist was my first episode so if you like fungi seek that poo poo out

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Revins posted:

Giving Ologies a shout out, it is a good podcast. The host, Allie Ward, talks to various experts in their fields about genetally science related subjects. The ep with the mycologist was my first episode so if you like fungi seek that poo poo out

she was an amazing Doughboys guest.

_____!
May 2, 2004

timp posted:

- Go Mode: A Link to the Past Randomizer Podcast Covers the community and game of ALTTPR. I started it 6.5 years ago with another goon, and we've released one episode every two weeks for 150 episodes without fail—or at least we did before going on hiatus literally just last week.

Oh yeah I always forget that's a partially goon run podcast. I haven't listened in a while but it's neat I'll have to dip back in to both the podcast and alttp randomizers! Going back to older ones don't feel very dated despite a decent chunk of the episodes being about then current tournaments.

Definitely keep up the good work Timp and Abraxas (well, after the hiatus)!

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

_____! posted:

Oh yeah I always forget that's a partially goon run podcast. I haven't listened in a while but it's neat I'll have to dip back in to both the podcast and alttp randomizers! Going back to older ones don't feel very dated despite a decent chunk of the episodes being about then current tournaments.

Definitely keep up the good work Timp and Abraxas (well, after the hiatus)!

Thank you friend. Everyone should check out A Link to the Past Randomizer, it’s a fascinating game with an active and welcoming community! https://alttpr.com

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kiminewt
Feb 1, 2022

Revins posted:

I dropped it after the straightfaced episode about witches.