Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

In the future, humans live beyond our years, but have lost their ability to reproduce. They live at the top levels of a seemingly endless industrial descent, but have recently discovered reproduction happening in the bowels of their towers.

Our hero is chosen to study how that reproduction happens, and spends a lot of the movie chasing a beast that has a tauntingly huge schlong. Pretty much immediately he's attacked by the monsters that live in the labyrinth, but finds refuge in some benevolent species that live there as well.

Don't want to say too much more, as a lot of the joy of this comes from finding out more about the world and where the hero ends up.

trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O2ygfn-WqF8

This film is such a treat. Genuinely funny, dreadful (in that good terrifying way) and clever, it's like an industrial Alice in Wonderland horror presented in the style of Wallace and Gromit and set in the labs of Portal. Really unique good ride of a flick.

What's more, the story behind it is fun – it's effectively an auteur work. Takehide Hori, the creator, went into production with no previous experience in stop motion or film-making, but decided to give it a shot in his 40's. He made a short that would eventually become this movie by himself, but did get some help for this. Still, took 4 years in between the short and the movie for release, and the guy is credited as the: director, writer, cinematographer, primary voice actor, editor, musician, character designer, set designer, modeler, and sound designer.

Can watch it for free on Youtube here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hyCCWHhH6R4,
Or stream it on Kanopy (streaming site that requires a local library card),
Or on Amazon for $2.99: https://www.amazon.com/gp/video/detail/B0C9TPVVD7/ref=msx_wn_pv?autoplay=1

You'll want to watch with subtitles, as most of the dialog is very mumbly Japanese (or at least I think it is, don't speak the language).

Fair warning, Takehide has said the this is the first in a trilogy, and it definitely ends like the Fellowship of the Ring where the quest is still afoot. But the next one is supposedly coming out next year!

Thought a lot about what movie to feature here, leaning between Wake in Fright, Babette's Feast, or Fantasy Force for a bit – but I want to use this opportunity to force strangers to watch a movie in the service of something wonderful that really seems to have flown under the radar. Give it a watch, won't ya! Or if you hate animation, watch any of those instead.

Previous Movie of the Month's: https://letterboxd.com/machetez/list/cined-movie-of-the-month/

CatstropheWaitress fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Apr 13, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

I haven't watched it yet but I thought I'd let everyone know that this film is also available on Kanopy.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
I'm 30 mins in, this rules. Great pick

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

looks like it's on youtube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hyCCWHhH6R4

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Just finished it. What a beautifully made film. Love the creature designs and how touching the film can be.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
I remember watching and enjoying a thirty minute short called Junk Head that came out a decade or so ago. I didn't realize it had been expanded into a full feature!

Schwarzwald fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Apr 12, 2024

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

ˇHola SEA!

amped for this

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

I watched it a few nights back. It was unpredictable to say the least. I was surprised at how many times Junk Head's body was destroyed and rebuilt.

CatstropheWaitress posted:

What's more, the story behind it is fun – it's effectively an auteur work. Takehide Hori, the creator, went into production with no previous experience in stop motion or film-making, but decided to give it a shot in his 40's. He made a short that would eventually become this movie by himself, but did get some help for this. Still, took 4 years in between the short and the movie for release, and the guy is credited as the: director, writer, cinematographer, primary voice actor, editor, musician, character designer, set designer, modeler, and sound designer.

The end credits showed just how much he did. It was staggering.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Nice, thank you.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Added those to the OP, much thanks. & glad a few of ya have checked it out!

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Watched it this weekend, really delightful! Visually it's impeccable, and just about every gag landed for me. Some anime touches but that's ok, some people like that

Bonus very short film that the algorithm spat at me!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zHrce1oSApE

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I’ve been watching a lot more movies ever since my friend put up a projector in his garage. It’s a drat shame it won’t be possible to watch films there once the Phoenix heat gets cranked back up.

Today I brought over Mikey and Nicky and then the Columbo episode Etude In Black. I’d seen them before but he hadn’t. They make a good pairing.

We took a small break and then watched The Baby (1973). What a wild movie. It would make a good double feature with Clifford.

We were gonna watch The Wild Boys tonight but cancelled due to a migraine. We watched After Blue last week, a tale about a mother and daughter’s quest to kill Kate Bush.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Detective No. 27 posted:

We were gonna watch The Wild Boys tonight but cancelled due to a migraine. We watched After Blue last week, a tale about a mother and daughter’s quest to kill Kate Bush.

That sounds fantastic, immediately putting it on.

You might enjoy Junk Head, Cinema Discusso's Movie of the Month!

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

:doh:

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
I watched Junk Head last night and loved it. What a treat to discover a film like this that I had no idea existed.

What a labor of love, and what a fantastic atmosphere it delivers. It reminds me a little of Mad God (2021) -- which I also discovered by accident -- especially the beginning where the pod descends. (I loved Mad God)

Anyway I noticed that despite the poor and intensely foreboding environment and the very clear threats, it's really just the monsters that are real problems. Many people he meets are in fact quite helpful. Other than the guy who scams him, even the "bad" people are mostly just bad in a 'lovely kids' or 'mean stepmother' kind of way and not outright predatory.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

That was awesome, great pick! I'm a bit sad that the ending implies Alexander won't be on the rest of the journey with them. I liked those weird little dudes!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Glad a bunch more people got to see it!

Sequel JUNK WORLD is in the works, with a teaser trailer released so far:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dsuhOW56C9M

They also did a crowdfunding site to get additional funds for it, which has a bit more on the lore of the world than is included in JUNK HEAD. https://www.yamiken.com/junk-world

quote:

A long time ago, due to the decrease in habitat on the surface, humans proceeded with underground development and created the artificial life form Mulligan as a labor force. However, Mulligan increases his clones and spreads his influence and declares war on humanity. After 150 years of war, the Third Armistice Agreement was signed. 230 years later, humans remain on the surface, and Mulligan rules the underground world that has spread across the globe.

a fun little bio,

quote:

When I was young, I aspired to be an artist, but nothing really came of it, and no matter what I did, I was half-hearted.I just couldn't give up on creating, so I decided to take up filmmaking as my last challenge. I have loved creating since I was a child, and after graduating from high school I moved from Oita Prefecture to Tokyo with the aim of becoming a painter.

​I couldn't afford to go to art school, so I continued various creative activities while working part-time.

At the age of 30, he started a company specializing in artwork, taking on artistic work such as aging, murals, and sculptures in commercial facilities such as theme parks, and running his own design and construction bar.

While working, he taught himself to start making films just before the age of 40.

and some shots of their studio and the team he's now working with.

See ya'll in 2025 for JUNK WORLD!