Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Ask me about my STD collection!

Wii Spawn Camper posted:

Anyone ITT saying glasses are cool needs to say if they wear glasses, for how many years, and how functional they are without them.

I started wearing glasses ~17 years ago, I’m pretty sick of them by this point, and I’m mostly functional without them but I can’t easily read stuff that isn’t in front of my face. I want lasik but can’t afford it yet.
I've worn glasses around 37 years. I can't see poo poo without them. I have astigmatism and I'm near-sighted and recently had to upgrade to progressive lenses to see close.

Glasses are "cool" I guess, but I'm not going to say I'd rather have them than not have them. I do like shopping for them and picking out styles (I get my RX for Costco then shop online at Zenni). I'm not sure if I can get lasik with all my issues but if I can I guess I just haven't cared enough. Contacts were fine but I'm too lazy to deal with all that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

Jelly posted:

I've worn glasses around 37 years. I can't see poo poo without them. I have astigmatism and I'm near-sighted and recently had to upgrade to progressive lenses to see close.

Glasses are "cool" I guess, but I'm not going to say I'd rather have them than not have them. I do like shopping for them and picking out styles (I get my RX for Costco then shop online at Zenni). I'm not sure if I can get lasik with all my issues but if I can I guess I just haven't cared enough. Contacts were fine but I'm too lazy to deal with all that.

check roka. i have like 10 pairs of glasse and all my top ones are roka. :hai:

Internetjack
Sep 15, 2007

oh god how did this get here i am not good with computers
Top Cop
My dad wore glasses and contacts for most of his life. In his 40's he decided to try Lasik. His insurance wouldn't cover it for some dumb reason, so he and mom found a place in Canada that would do it. It would have been ~$4000-$5000 in the states, and in Canada it was $1500 usd. Mom and dad flew up after scheduling an appointment, went early so they could tour around for a few days. He's in his 80's now and was vision checked just a couple years ago and was still very close to 20/20.

I've started wearing glasses now. Lasted longer than anyone in my family in terms of age, because I'm a badass. They are wonderful and I get compliments on them. The optometrist had me try at least two dozen styles of frames until we found a set that we both sagely nodded and said, "Yeah that's the one." I've had friends, family, cashiers, librarians, all tell me, "Wow, those look great!" gently caress yeah, I love my glasses.

P.S. The best part about M&D heading to Canada for a week was that my brother and I could throw house parties for a few days. The only glasses there were beer bottles.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

lasik makes your eye surface a bit thinner and you'll probably have to re-up the procedure a few times because most people's vision and eye shape aren't static throughout life. eventually your eye will grow so thin that you'll be doing something completely ordinary, like stopping fast in traffic, and your eye goo will burst right through the flimsy membrane that's left and splatter all over the steering wheel. you hear about it all the time, some are calling it an epidemic.

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Bad Purchase posted:

lasik makes your eye surface a bit thinner and you'll probably have to re-up the procedure a few times because most people's vision and eye shape aren't static throughout life. eventually your eye will grow so thin that you'll be doing something completely ordinary, like stopping fast in traffic, and your eye goo will burst right through the flimsy membrane that's left and splatter all over the steering wheel. you hear about it all the time, some are calling it an epidemic.

what do you think the eye goop tastes like

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

jelly

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

hmm

Buce posted:

check roka. i have like 10 pairs of glasse and all my top ones are roka. :hai:
ok!

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Wifi Toilet posted:

I put off laser surgery for so long that I’m going straight to cataract surgery later this year. Thinking of going for near focus lenses since I don’t really mind glasses. Don’t think I’d like the multifocals since apparently you lose some low light vision and I drive a lot at night.

My mom did the cataract replacement a few years ago, she avoided the multifocal things based on a close friend who had them and found reading less enjoyable. I guess it takes some adjustment to read words that aren't in your center of vision?

OTOH she went for distance correction so she now has about 200 pairs of cheap dollar-store reading glasses in different levels of magnification everywhere in her house.

I guess the question I'd want to ask about the near-focus lenses is how much range you actually get where things are in focus. I think it'd be annoying to need glasses for distance *and* glasses to focus on something super-close.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
My mom had cataract surgery last year and after we got home, she excitedly called me into the kitchen to ask if the burner flame was always that blue. :3:

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

I'm getting cataract surgery to add more cataract so I don't have to read these stinkin posts no more!!

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Vakal posted:

I mean glass frames have gotten pretty light, minimalist and mostly plastic over the decades. I recently was cleaning out a junk draw and found a really old metal pair with the double-cross bar and real glass lenses and jesus christ I can't believe I could actually stand wearing those things.

insane how the chester molester frames are in style now. I mean, if you're hot anyway. Please don't try this look if you even have to wonder if you are. Actually if you are dont wear them anyway you fukin' molester.

I got my eyeballs lasered after having glasses/contacts since the 4th grade. Waking up in the morning and seeing clearly is a gift from god I had been denied nearly my entire life. So loving worth it.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

out of surgery wondering, was the podcaster's hair always that purple?

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

Haptical Sales Slut posted:

insane how the chester molester frames are in style now. I mean, if you're hot anyway. Please don't try this look if you even have to wonder if you are. Actually if you are dont wear them anyway you fukin' molester.

I got my eyeballs lasered after having glasses/contacts since the 4th grade. Waking up in the morning and seeing clearly is a gift from god I had been denied nearly my entire life. So loving worth it.

just because we wear glasses and molest people doesn't mean we're "molesters." these are the stereotypes that hurt our people.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

who is chester?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Bad Purchase posted:

who is chester?

a cheetah with an affection for cheesy corn snacks and children