Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

Stanley parable

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

welcome back gamers

The poll victor was.... positon 4

I was pretty excited for this, since I knew it'd mean having to adapt alot.

I tried a bit of variety here, people wanted me to try techies and he was... weird.

I died a million times in every techies game. Maybe I was missing something but I was longing for when his jump in actually killed you, to save the gold and xp atleast.

Bounty hunter is a ton of fun but I also died alot and I had one game where my team really did not want to do anything and I was really at a complete loss on what to do.

Lion is a fun hero but I often feel very out of control of the game, you can ball but you need help to get going

And the skywrath game I just played terrible tbh.

That's the games.

My main focus of this week (besides the extremely exciting reveal of my announcer)

I use the pyrion flax announcer, he's from pretty close to where I'm from so we share solidarity in suffering.

I'm also using the pirate announcer for mega kills.

With that digression out of the way, the actual meat of this update is actually going to be focused on the ways I'm preparing for these games. First of all I identified the main weaknesses I feel I have at the moment in my game.

1. Too many deaths.

My positioning is bad, my game sense is bad, I am not soft comitting to team fights. This is largely rust but it's also partially playing new heroes and pushing my limits alot, as part of learning to play pos 4 I am refusing to just passively become a second pos 5. I have been really trying to make things happen.

In some ways, some of these losses are down to that but I also feel like if I want to actually keep improving, it's a short term pain for long term gain.

2. Item builds are lacking.

My item builds are very cookie cutter, as Lion I went Tranquils>Blink>Aghs, which is fine but if I want to be maximising my games I need to build the perfect items every game, which is daunting at first but I have done it before and it is very satisfying when it works.

3. Lack of clarity of what objectives I'm going for.

I don't really get the current map, On the old map I understood you took the enemy safelane tower, mid tower and invaded jungle but now it seems like I want to be attacking our safelane? We want to control the pain cubes? There are xp runes. I'm working on this but it's still a problem.

One thing I've started doing again is actually warming up when I start playing. People who play alot of dota often comment that their first game of the day is always worse. One way to get rid of this is to do some last hit practice or play some overthrow to literally warm up. I wasn't doing this at first when I returned but it did help this week of play.

I'm also doing research, I've resubbed to BSJ's patreon to binge his coaching sessions, which give tons of insight. I've also been reading alot of d2protracker to look for interesting item builds or trends I may not be noticing. Obviously this is all overthinking for the Archon bracket but if you're going to be insane about a game, you have to do it right.

For the next update, I am considering my pool of pos 4 heroes, which ones do you guys think I need/should add?

I was considering undying, who I apparently have...

:eyepop:

90% winrate?

RisqueBarber
Jul 10, 2005

Undying is a lane winner

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

This patch techies is probably the top 4 because he's just a monstrous laner; you can die 15 times but if you keep that pos 1 unfed into minutes 15-20 you've probably won your team the game.

Hoodwink is also real good, solid dmg with long range if you have a lockdown 3 who can keep the other carry down. I also like spirit breaker as a 4, but he's mostly getting played as a 3 this patch

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.
to the best of my crusader knowledge the name of the game (besides dota) is taking towers towers towers to give your 1-3's space to farm. techies is good for taking towers, lion and bounty aren't as much. undying is good for fighting under towers. I think it's time for you to raise that 90% win rate buddy. :zombie: :zombie: :zombie:

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

TheFlyingLlama posted:

This patch techies is probably the top 4 because he's just a monstrous laner; you can die 15 times but if you keep that pos 1 unfed into minutes 15-20 you've probably won your team the game.

Hoodwink is also real good, solid dmg with long range if you have a lockdown 3 who can keep the other carry down. I also like spirit breaker as a 4, but he's mostly getting played as a 3 this patch

Hoodwink is free MMR at low ranks.

Wraith Band -> Wand -> Arcanes -> Glepnier -> Mek -> then Greeves or damage (I usually go either Crystlis or Butterfly depending)

You can farm risky waves from trees, just stay out of the fights and pepper in acorn shots, save bushwacks for counter initiation. If you get good at staying in the trees and minding position you can pump out tremendous damage, push, and give your team time to farm. Paired with a tanky initiating offlaner you can really wreck.

Onehandclapping
Oct 21, 2010
Pos 4 is great, I usually find the best way to drag my team kicking and screaming into a win is to pick an easy initiator and start every fight with a hero out of place.

Windmill slam pudge is what i'm getting at here

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

RisqueBarber posted:

Undying is a winner

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

I wanted to give the techies hero one last try. In these games my positioning was alot better, I was very focused on the lane and doing lots of damage. In several of the techies games I had more damage than my core but at no point did I really feel in charge of the game. These games just kind of passed me by.

The undying games I felt incredibly strong, I was being aggressive, I finished in one of them with 20k healing but we still lost, overall a very very rough set of games where I felt like I was improving massively but the progress was not showing in any meaningful way besides slightly less deaths and more kills/damage.

Then I picked the disruptor hero, this hero is busted in the high level meta and in my MMR bracket it's simply too good at punishing the infinite mistakes. In these games I barely died, I shut down entire heroes with my aghs ultimate and felt unstoppable. It was such a step up in power level and execution I felt like I couldn't lose.

Let's look at the hardest game of the bunch

first thing's first, let's look at our team lineup.

We have, pos 5 pudge, pos 4 disruptor, mid jakiro, offlane bloodseeker and pos 1 morphling.

alot of this is really weird and bad but whatever, anything can work at 2k.

Let's look at my lane for a bit.

first off, bloodseeker gets first blood at an extremely weird and long rune fight.

so, I'm off warding the pull camp but I really should've clocked at this moment just how incredibly dangerous this lane is. I really don't realise it in the lane until after a few deaths, naturally overcomitting to a rune fight and being at low hp is always going to cost you but versus a lane like this, you need to have everything.

next up, I stand too close to bloodseeker and we both suffer for it, I genuinely thought I'd be fine here because of the lane position but it's incredibly easy for veno and lifestealer to run us down, we showed a lack of respect to their lane here.

right after, I teleport back to lane and veno is pulling, so I try to pressure lifestealer with bloodseeker and..

he just runs me down until I die.

At this point I realise I need to stop dying, or we'll just lose.

In the other disruptor games, we dominated the lane, so I had to change my mindset, I basically made the decision that I wasn't going to engage if I didn't think I could run away without being hit by lifestealer.

bloodseeker dies here but I accepted once I cast my spells and lifestealer raged them off, so I didn't put myself in harms way to try and save him.

At this point, the lane is just over, they're too strong and we're in deep trouble, so I continue playing defensively.

11 minutes into the game and this has a stomp written all over it, every lane has lost. Somehow our mid jakiro could not defeat their lesh.

Keep in mind, of our two kills, one of them was from that really bad and stupid first blood.

This is the stuff of nightmares, outside of morph doing ok.

I am having a horrible horrible game.

Not even level 6 to take advantage of my broken ultimate, my items are basically nothing, so I make a decision on how I'm going to approach things, I set myself 3 priorities.

1. I am going to defend our middle tour by pushing the lane out and fighting anyone who tries to push it.
2. I am not going to die
3. I am going to stack as many jungle and triangle camps as I can.

also, I queue up a midas, which may seem like grief but the way I saw it, considering their team they don't really have anyone who jumps backlines.

so, I decided I would be a huge coward and also a gigachad by not getting a defensive item and instead shooting to take this game to lategame.

The thing that struck me so far for these games is that disruptor isn't really a midgame support, he really thrives in the lategame when he gets his aghs and with the current setup, I didn't see us winning unless we dragged poo poo out.

I stacked both of these camps, although we just lost our bottom t1 so it was risky.

So, mid tower is going to die here, that's for certain.

The last time they tried to push, pudge hooked veno and they all ran off out of fear of his masculinity but this time pudge hooked lesh and died instantly and I cast my spells and promptly.. ran away.

The tower dies so i shift priority number one to protect top t1, our last t1 and mid 2 while stacking triangle, at that point the only part of the map I consider us to "control" is the triangle, just because we have our t1 top.

I got a triple stack on the hard camp and ancients and now my jakiro is FEASTING, while I soak exp because it's 15 minutes and I genuinely am level 6.

but when he's done, I'm level 7.

there's a potential fight bot, I thankfully managed to push out the mid wave pretty easily all the way to their t2, so they have to react to that.

our jakiro is respawning and our morph respawned, so I tp down because it looks nice.

when I tp'd bot, pudge threw out a hook that missed and the enemy just... ran.

it was very bizzare and it struck me just how passive the enemy were playing, so I matched them by running mid and returning to.. stacking the triangle.

it's 19 minutes and things are still, really bad but they don't feel bad, we are quietly growing back into the game. When they should've overrun us they've just been... farming kind of awkwardly.

my jakiro is defending bottom and gets gone on but I am standing behind him.

You'll notice there's no dire cores here, the opposing supports are bored, they want to do SOMETHING.

and now they're in macropyre and disruptor ulti.

bloodseeker sees the juicy blood on display and bloodseeks all over them and right as both supports die, lifestealer just... walks up and dies as well.

abaddon runs in, gets hooked and when he tries to ulti+tp gets hit by morph's adaptation strike.

this is the kind of poo poo that happens that really shows just how swingy a game of dota is, this is a big loving throw.

and it's because the supports got bored.

now we're talking

oh yeah, pudge hooked lesh and I tried to help and we both died.

there's only one justification I have for this one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8yyAgk9der4

Anyway, it happens.

so we're back to the point of the game where we should lose, we've been doing what we did before, stacking camps, defending towers.

This aeigis should be when it becomes really difficult.

this guy is getting ready to crush our souls and send us to hell.

only one problem, lifestealer is just one guy.

and this guy is very cautious, abbadon and venomancer try to go on us bot and both die pretty quickly to (literally all of our ults) and he tp's top and just... farms with his aegis.

that's the thing here about power in dota, all these items are meaningless unless you actually do something with them.

I do understand why dire is so cautious though, when you look at the radiant lineup, it's an incredible amount of poke and abilities that move you around, it's very hard to fight into hook and glimpse without having some people die.

but the game is only getting harder, radiant are farming up, playing safe.

I've really tried on disruptor to always make a habit of being behind one core, our bloodseeker with his aghs bloodstone is our frontliner, so he's ideal.

Lifestealer sees him farming a wave and decides to jump on him.

bloodseeker dies really fast, which makes sense, he was low hp.

The last time pudge hooked one of their incredibly farmed cores we both died horribly but this time it's right infront of our tower, so buying time is an option.

that's gotta sting.

on the bright side, he still has aeigis, there's no way we kill him again.

well, that's gotta hurt.

next up, we farm for a super long time again, and so I build my aghs pretty easily and then start working on guardian greaves.

it's 34 minutes in and now it's just a normal game but at this point I am assured of victory.

leshrac walks mid and just kind of dies.

some chainfeed later and we have the advantage.

after this, I'm not messing with you, we win pretty much every teamfight and just win the game.

I felt the midas and the camp stacking really pay off in this one, as well as just focusing my playstyle on letting the opponents make the mistakes.

now that's beautiful.

14 stacks, I should've probably gotten more tbh.

Anyway everyone, that's the update for this week, thanks for reading!

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

what a comeback. great work op

give head or get dead
Feb 16, 2010

Oh hell yes. gently caress Yes. This rules. I love this.

RisqueBarber
Jul 10, 2005

give head or get dead posted:

Oh hell yes. gently caress Yes. This rules. I love this.

JackSplater
Nov 20, 2014

Metal Coat? It's already active?!
The most fun thing to do with disruptor is fountain glimpsing. Especially early game. If you see an enemy TP in, you have four seconds to hit them with glimpse and send them straight back to their base with the scroll on cooldown. I'd honestly say glimpse is his strongest ability just because of how much it fucks with enemy positioning.

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

JackSplater posted:

The most fun thing to do with disruptor is fountain glimpsing. Especially early game. If you see an enemy TP in, you have four seconds to hit them with glimpse and send them straight back to their base with the scroll on cooldown. I'd honestly say glimpse is his strongest ability just because of how much it fucks with enemy positioning.

oh, I take great delight in doing that, there's no worse feeling in the world than falling victim to it

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
God help me, this thread is tempting me to actually start playing DOTA in 2024.

RisqueBarber
Jul 10, 2005

Huge patch supposedly dropping this week good time to come back as a lot of other noobs prolly will.

Also rumor is a new PVE mode/event

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Fat Samurai posted:

:sickos:

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

Frozenen
Nov 6, 2022

Fat Samurai posted:

Remember the suffering and stay strong.

In occasionally get the urge to get back into DOTA... but then I make sure to remember what the majority of the experience is like!

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Frozenen posted:

Remember the suffering and stay strong.

In occasionally get the urge to get back into DOTA... but then I make sure to remember what the majority of the experience is like!

That's the problem. I have never played DOTA. I've managed to stay away from it, mainly because of advice on this forums.

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

the highs and lows of dota are hard to beat sometimes. especially when you go up a real loving yappy enemy team and you beat them and you played like a God the entire time.
then you go on a ten losing streak and wonder why you get up in the morning.

SoundwaveAU
Apr 17, 2018

Dota giveth and Dota taketh

ZCKaiser
Feb 13, 2014
Back when I used to play, I'd been playing with a couple friends who were a lot better at the game. They stomped in a game as an Io/Tiny lane, and the very next game we queued into, we see a couple familiar names on the enemy team, one of whom goes "OH poo poo IT'S TINY" and immediately locks him in, with his buddy locking in Io. Thinking about it always makes me smile; moments like that are why you play Dota.

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

Without the lows there would be no highs

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

Zeruel posted:

the highs and lows of dota are hard to beat sometimes. especially when you go up a real loving yappy enemy team and you beat them and you played like a God the entire time.
then you go on a ten losing streak and wonder why you get up in the morning.

psh speak for yourself i've never wondered why i wake up in the morning, only how!

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

hubris.height posted:

psh speak for yourself i've never wondered why i wake up in the morning, only how!

stop it! stop it now!

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
Trying to expand my hero pool I've been playing with Disruptor. Man my boy is so much fun to play. At low MMR no one knows to TP to lane and wait a few secs. I sent an NP back to fountain three times in a row.

I love how you basically just get your spells off and then die, who cares.

The build guides all suggest Arghs, but no one in low MMR gets BKB so I don't think it's worth it, last game I got aether and telescope and I was glimpsing people from my fountain.

RisqueBarber
Jul 10, 2005

Super-NintendoUser posted:

Trying to expand my hero pool I've been playing with Disruptor. Man my boy is so much fun to play. At low MMR no one knows to TP to lane and wait a few secs. I sent an NP back to fountain three times in a row.

I love how you basically just get your spells off and then die, who cares.

The build guides all suggest Arghs, but no one in low MMR gets BKB so I don't think it's worth it, last game I got aether and telescope and I was glimpsing people from my fountain.

Shard owns with the 10 talent

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Alright, so I played ALOT more dota for this update, so here we go.

In general, while the results haven't been amazing, I have been feeling better about my overall play. I'm laning better, dying less and in general my games are decided by the weird stuff my teammates and opponents do rather than my own really bad mistakes.

The wraith king game will probably stand out, I attempted to help Hubris snap his loss streak and had a power outage while I was owning, condemning us to a loss.

I was hoping there was a gameplay update to go along with all the crownfall finery so I could do a big post about dota after major gameplay updates.

I've also been dipping my toes into other roles occassionally just to break things up a little bit.

I'm almost out of role queues so, my intention is to use them all playing pos 4 and then gather role queue tokens until the crownfall gameplay update comes our or I fill up on them again, whichever comes first.

After that, I'll be putting up another role based vote but probably locked to core.

This is a much much shorter update but life has been chaotic and the only game I'd like to look at with more detail is this Bristle one.

But it's a megacreep comeback where we hide in base for... genuinely 40 minutes so it's not that exciting.

There are some fun stats though.

bristle and zeus are always the most insane when it comes to damage numbers generally but it does always give me a kick to see just how wild they can get.

The matchmaker is certain I am a 2.522 MMR gamer, which makes sense, because I think I've generally been a 50% winrate type beat lately, you might think I'd despair at this but honestly coming back from a long break and maintaining your rank instead of losing it is actually quite rare.

I will also be playing alot of unranked to get my crownfall stuff sorted, naturally.

I'm also going to try and post my comm and behaviour scores regularly, to see if I'm becoming a toxic dota demon.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
even up here

same as it ever was

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

NtotheTC posted:

stop it! stop it now!

RisqueBarber
Jul 10, 2005

:perfect:

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

i applied static link to hubris MMR.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
netherswap my matches next time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Welcome back everyone, this update should be a fun one.

We finished up the rest of our role queues and I found a hero I really, really like. This Zeus hero is... different as support at my MMR. I think it's because of a number of factors.

Let's look at the games in this pack.

This is the first game, we won and I played pretty good, didn't die alot.

That 33k damage is me, the person with more damage? our 15 kill drow ranger.

here's the second game, I have alot more deaths cause they had a PA.

here I am doing the most damage in the game.

We lost this game, partially cause our roles were incredibly weird even for an archon game buuuut.

the only person with more damage than me was the gyrocopter who was six slotted and owning.

this is the last one I want to highlight

I'm 15-2 as a pos 4.

15 minutes into the game my items look like this.

Part of me wants to highlight this cause honestly it just loving owns but it also made me realise something, people at my mmr genuinely cannot teamfight. They don't know how to prioritise killing the heroes that are actually murdering them and that's how I keep getting away with this.

With the change to BKB the only way to counter zeus is to just kill him and now that zeus has a built in escape mechanic and I learned how to play as a huge, incredible coward from all those disruptor games, I'm capable of affecting these games way, way too much as a hero that probably shouldn't be played support in most games.

Not only that, being able to deward/give vision for free is always a fantastic bonus in a bracket where people do not like to buy dust or sentries.

So, that was the end of my pos 4 role queue tokens, let's see how I get on playing all roles.

The crownfall update and it's consequences have been fantastic for my MMR. The omniknight game I lost was due to me, not playing well at all and the warlock was just a bizzare throw, the other games I just felt like my brain was computing above the level of most people in the game at this point.

I am pretty sure this is my peak MMR currently, I don't remember ever being this high before.

If I win one game I'll be archon 4, which is exciting but if I lose all this MMR, it just means you guys get to laugh at me in the next update.

I'll see you next time, I'll either be legend or something much funnier will happen