Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

Announcing NetBSD 10.0 (Mar 28, 2024)

Introduction

The NetBSD Project is pleased to announce NetBSD 10.0, the eighteenth major release of the NetBSD operating system.

It represents cumulative improvements to the operating system since NetBSD 9.x was originally branched in 2019.

Upgrade instructions

An existing installation can be upgraded by booting an installation image and selecting the Upgrade option.

If you are using other update methods, update the kernel and modules first, then reboot and update your userspace. You will need to adjust any package repository URL and update all third-party packages. Note also the addition of the new gpufw set, which may need to be installed separately with sysinst(8).

Please take particular note of Changes to system behaviour and compatibility if you are upgrading from an earlier release.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

pass

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
whoa

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

what in the world..

AlbertFlasher
Feb 14, 2006

Hulk Hogan and the Wrestling Boot Band
owns

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

why would I use this over macos, op?

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

it fills a different niche

divsel
Mar 28, 2024
I tried out FreeBSD on vm a while ago just to check it out. I liked some things about it, like configuring the networking on installation. But I feel like you'd have to be relatively involved in the community to want to use it.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

I need to try this on my retro pc. been a while since I fired it up

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

they named the eighteenth NetBSD "NetBSD 10.0"

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Pinterest Mom posted:

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

the 8 got cut in half

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Pinterest Mom posted:

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Pinterest Mom posted:

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
does it run linux?

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

it does!

my homie dhall
Dec 9, 2010

honey, oh please, it's just a machine
this is the year of netbsd on the desktop

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

“some nerd” posted:

NetBSD 10.0, the eighteenth major release of the NetBSD operating system

ah yes,

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
more like “NotBSd”, which is what i say whenever anyone asks me which os i use

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

i don't know what this is and i didn't read anything but i am mad about it and will not be returning to this thread

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

NetBSD is for people surrounded by vintage computers and want to use every single one for posting

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

more like “NotBSd”, which is what i say whenever anyone asks me which os i use

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

nbsd got banned btw

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Captain Foo posted:

nbsd got banned btw

:rip: accused one too many of being a pedophile

my homie dhall
Dec 9, 2010

honey, oh please, it's just a machine

Captain Foo posted:

nbsd got banned btw

rip

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

akadajet posted:

:rip: accused one too many of being a pedophile

ironically if nbsd weren't a really unpleasant person, his ban for calling methanar a pedophile could probably get overturned, considering methanar was perma'd for trying to get in the pants of a barely legal chick he explicitly described as having the mentality of a 14 year old

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Kazinsal posted:

ironically if nbsd weren't a really unpleasant person, his ban for calling methanar a pedophile could probably get overturned, considering methanar was perma'd for trying to get in the pants of a barely legal chick he explicitly described as having the mentality of a 14 year old

maybe he was right all along and we just didn’t take him seriously enough

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Kazinsal posted:

it is kind of misremembered history that nbsd is gone because of that ban.

he stated pretty clearly that he was quite done with the forums during the final lowtax story arc (specifically the moment the domestic abuse situation played out). he barely posted for a couple of months more, then ate a ban and never bothered to rereg.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

i just remember him as the person who thinks children are property

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

That loving Sned posted:

NetBSD is for people surrounded by vintage computers and want to use every single one for posting

really?

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

netbdsm not getting enough attention itt

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

That loving Sned posted:

exactly, the cool people everyone looks up to and wants to be like

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
netbsd is a ploy to keep nerds at home janitoring their “vintage” computers rather than going outside and bothering normal people

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

is ios bsd mobile? bsdm?

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

git apologist posted:

is ios bsd mobile? bsdm?

what you are referring to as iOS is actually BSD/xnu, or as I’ve recently been calling it BSD+xnu

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

lol