Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Normally I don't make aesthetic criticisms in other peoples' homes, but that rug looks like a beaver exploded. If meat is murder, then that rug is at least a severe beating.

What is this?

80 Days is a 3D adventure game that was developed by Frogwares and released in 2005. This shouldn't be confused with 80 Days by Inkle, they share the same name but they are two completely separate entities (I have been thinking about doing an LP of this as well but that will be for another time and thread).

This game also features some hallmark mechanics that makes a classic adventure game: Resource Management, a day and night cycle, limited resources, stealth sections and it also has a time limit attached to it.

Frogwares started out by licensing various Victorian-era literature for their games. Their first game was based on Sherlock Holmes and it's the series that they are most well known for, a series of which that I have almost completely LP'd: https://lparchive.org/title/sherlock. But early on they also made video game adaptations from a couple of other authors and one of those was Jules Verne. The second game that Frogwares developed was loosely based on Journey to the Center of the Earth and their fourth release, which you can probably guess already, was loosely based on Around the World in Eighty Days. Loosely based is a term that should be used very lightly when it comes to 80 Days. Despite 80 Days being the second Jules Verne adaptation it's the game that I'm going to LP first, I do plan to do an LP of Journey to the Center of the Earth at some point in the future.

More details

Let's go a little bit more into the loosely based, a lot of this is covered in the intro sequence but it's good going into this prepared. This game is set some years after Phileas Fogg's jaunt around the World and apart from a few references and a plot they've shoehorned into fitting a somewhat similar narrative, there's not a lot that you can compare between the two. The book is in the public domain and the developers are using their artistic license to the fullest extent.

We play as Oliver Lavisheart, who grew up in America and never learnt about punctuation marks. His parents are trying to force him into marriage but he still wants to live a hedonistic lifestyle. Cue the Uncle, who has stepped in at the 11th hour with an offer to save him from this fate, only if he performs a massive favour for him in return. The Uncle is an inventor who, for some reason, has never learnt what patents are and, for some reason, visited various locations inventing things and just left them there for anyone to claim as their own. It's our job to visit four locations around the world to find these inventions so Uncle Lavisheart can claim them as his own so he can make a fat pile of cash.

One Last Thing

You know you're in for a fun time when a company permanently removes a game from sale. As far as I'm aware, this is the only one of their titles that is no longer available to buy any more:

https://frogwares.com/80-days-game-out-of-sale/

LP Details

This will be a VLP and I will be recording commentary live and unscripted. I don't have a schedule, it all depends on when I have free time around work and child care but I will aim to have at least one video up a week.

Let's Play: 80 Days

Rocket Baby Dolls fucked around with this message at 13:32 on May 5, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Oh my, this is certainly a quality game. (crash zoom towards upper lip) Is that comic sans they're using as a default font?

[edit]And definitely a few :raise: moments of casual racism so far. But I can see why you're exploring this title - all the jank and quality aside, the underlying resource management mechanics seem like a fun and interesting idea. Does stamina replenish if you rest at your hotel, and is there a penalty for not sleeping?

Crazy Achmed fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Apr 5, 2024

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Normally I don't make aesthetic criticisms in other peoples' homes, but that rug looks like a beaver exploded. If meat is murder, then that rug is at least a severe beating.

Crazy Achmed posted:

Oh my, this is certainly a quality game. (crash zoom towards upper lip) Is that comic sans they're using as a default font?

[edit]And definitely a few :raise: moments of casual racism so far. But I can see why you're exploring this title - all the jank and quality aside, the underlying resource management mechanics seem like a fun and interesting idea. Does stamina replenish if you rest at your hotel, and is there a penalty for not sleeping?

There was one line that I was glad didn't pop up during the recording as it was a bit too on the nose.

I'm still exploring the game but one thing I do know is that stamina replenishes fully when you stay at the hotel. I tested out what happens when your stamina depletes and I've found out that you lose 12 hours because you collapsed from exhaustion. I also found that there is random piles of money hidden around the place.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

I've finished a test run of the next segment but I'm currently suffering from a cold so I'm not feeling up to recording anything tonight. Even if I was I'd have a sniffly nose and a cough to contend with. I'm going to be busy for the next couple of days so I'm hoping to have something recorded and uploaded on Tuesday or Wednesday.

There's going to be some more variety to this game in the form of janky platforming. There are several more things that I have discovered: Oliver's model is transparent which will become very noticeable during one cutscene, every mode of transport costs the same despite there being a noticeable difference with each of them and using a method of transport still depletes your stamina. I've tested the trike and the magic carpet during practise runs but I've yet to try the Gyrocycle thing. If anyone has any mode of transport that they'd like to see then feel free to let me know, if not then I'll just work my way through them as and when.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

In this video, Oliver makes a new friend who immediately sends him on a quest before we get any information. We make several new friends in this part, we even seem to make a new enemy.

This cold has destroyed me this past week. I felt well enough to record tonight, but only just. This is a fairly short video which was cut shortly after the 5th save point. I was debating on where to cut this video but that was decided when I had a horrible coughing fit as soon as I initiated a conversation with a new character. That may be for the best though as the next section is fairly long compared to what we've already seen before.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

What an odd little game.
It's been a while but I'm pretty sure Jules Verne did not include an actual magic flying carpet in any of his novels.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

The next video is mostly planned out. The videos have been fairly short for the most part and the next one most likely will be too but they seem to be working out alright in terms of where the save points are. I'll see how things go and I'll try to include three sequences after we leave Cairo but that's probably not going to happen before then. The end of Cairo may also result in a short vote as well, just to give you all a warning in advance.

By popular demand posted:

What an odd little game.
It's been a while but I'm pretty sure Jules Verne did not include an actual magic flying carpet in any of his novels.

I must admit that I haven't read anything by Jules Verne's, I do plan to in the future but I'm still deep into Lovecraft at the moment. I am planning to LP the Agatha Christie games in the long-distant future but I haven't touched any of her work either. I might have to do what I did with the Sherlock Holmes series and dive into them when the time comes.

Dragongem
Nov 9, 2009

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion
Getting in on the ground floor!

Enjoying how the uncle is somehow in like the worst trouble humanly possible. "Look, I made a bet that you could fly around the world with all my money. If you don't to it, I'm going lose my inventions. And my title. And my pensions. Look, there's like everything riding on this." I'm surprised there's not some sort of threat to be murdered.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

We break several laws in this video, I'm not sure how many exactly but there are a few. Oliver makes a new friend who encourages him to go tomb robbing and is then encouraged to engage in stealing a priceless artefact.

Dragongem posted:

Getting in on the ground floor!

Enjoying how the uncle is somehow in like the worst trouble humanly possible. "Look, I made a bet that you could fly around the world with all my money. If you don't to it, I'm going lose my inventions. And my title. And my pensions. Look, there's like everything riding on this." I'm surprised there's not some sort of threat to be murdered.

I'd love to know what these inventions actually are as we were never told. Are we rescuing devices that could benefit the World or are we just picking up some toenail clippers designed exclusively for hedgehogs?

There's still time for murder, we are still very early on in the game at the moment. If there isn't any murder then I may have to make it happen at some point.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

The next update is going to be a very short one. I anticipated it being longer than it was going to be and I was way off the mark. It's only going to be in the region of 10-15 minutes but that's mainly down to it being the final part of our time in Cairo. I could carry on with the next part of the game but I intend to hold a vote on the next part of the journey. I'll most likely record and upload it tomorrow as I have a day off from work and I'll be free of responsibilities for a short while.

Even though it's going to be a short video there's going to be a surprise at the end. I finished this section about ten minutes ago and I'm still flabbergasted by it.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

It's time to say goodbye to Cairo as we are leaving it at the end of this video. In this video, we find Scheherazade and she helps us to break open the "Unbreakable black tear!". Just a quick warning, you may want to turn the volume down at the 14:50 mark as it suddenly gets rather loud.

It's also time for a vote. We can travel to Bombay in three different ways, each of which presents us with separate challenges to face. I'm pretty sure that we will be experiencing them all at some point throughout the playthrough so we won't be missing out on any content. Which of these would you like to see first?

1. Train
2. Cruise
3. Zeppelin

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

3.How can one not choose to sail the skies aboard a dirigible?!

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

I've only just realised that the characters in the OP picture are all Oliver dressed up in different disguises. I think that I'm beginning to understand why this game was pulled from the store now. We've already had some casual racism and now we're screaming headlong into India and it's going to be followed up with Japan and that's making me even more nervous about interacting with people. I'm not sure what to do in this position as it could potentially get worse.

I'm trying to work out what's going on with the disguise that's third from the left, I'm really hoping that the skin tone is down to the lighting and the angle of the pose.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

By popular demand posted:

3.How can one not choose to sail the skies aboard a dirigible?!

Your vote is the only vote so we will be taking to the skies in the next update.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

I've conducted a test run of the Zeppelin and it looks like it will be a two-parter. I did happen to meet a couple of residents from Yokohama on board and it seems like the developers were looking through the big book of stereotypes while making this game.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

This video is the first half of our time on the Zeppelin. This wasn't the most smoothest of recordings, the save file for this part of the game is wonky and for a while it would only load up the train segment despite choosing the Zeppelin. The game crashed during a first attempt at recording and it then it minimised during a second recording attempt but it didn't crash, thankfully. It wouldn't have mattered too much if it did as the game had saved just before the segment started.

Rocket Baby Dolls fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Apr 24, 2024

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

This is the second half of our time on the Leviathan and we don't spend our time relaxing in first class. Mr Bunsby is patiently waiting for us outside of our room and we start finding out that he really shouldn't be in a position of responsibility and authority. Get ready for more random events happening that are loosely connected.

This part of the game also features an area where the only way to progress is by glitching through part of the level and even if you do manage to do so, there's a good chance that the next thing that you do will lock the game up entirely. Both of which you will see happen in this recording, the game also crashed in between both things happening as well.

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

I'm really not sure what on earth is going on but this is one hell of a ride.

Rocket Baby Dolls posted:

I've only just realised that the characters in the OP picture are all Oliver dressed up in different disguises. I think that I'm beginning to understand why this game was pulled from the store now. We've already had some casual racism and now we're screaming headlong into India and it's going to be followed up with Japan and that's making me even more nervous about interacting with people. I'm not sure what to do in this position as it could potentially get worse.

I'm trying to work out what's going on with the disguise that's third from the left, I'm really hoping that the skin tone is down to the lighting and the angle of the pose.

:ohdear: If this does go where we think it's going, then at least the powers that be had enough sense to pull the title rather than double down.

I feel like you could probably take the basic concept and mechanics of this game but make all the areas a lot more compact, swap out all the environmental puzzles for more traditional sierra/lucasarts-style inventory and conversation puzzles, and most importantly turf all the problematic wacky poo poo and just make it about a kindly professor layton-esque person racing around the world and helping solve problems for the various people they encounter along the way.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

I have hit a wall in this game as one of the puzzles is broken and there's no way to glitch through it. I can't find anything online to help get through it. All I have found so far is that "failing" it means skipping it and the only way to do that is to run out os stamina.

I did find a patch for the game but all it seems to have done is fix some freaky textures, which I'm a little sad about as I wanted to show them off.

I'm going to do some more testing over the weekend, hopefully I will have something ready to upload before the week is over.

Crazy Achmed posted:

I'm really not sure what on earth is going on but this is one hell of a ride.

:ohdear: If this does go where we think it's going, then at least the powers that be had enough sense to pull the title rather than double down.

I feel like you could probably take the basic concept and mechanics of this game but make all the areas a lot more compact, swap out all the environmental puzzles for more traditional sierra/lucasarts-style inventory and conversation puzzles, and most importantly turf all the problematic wacky poo poo and just make it about a kindly professor layton-esque person racing around the world and helping solve problems for the various people they encounter along the way.

This suffers from being a 00's adventure game. There seemed to be a fascination that because there's a new dimension, developers wanted to make things as big as possible but most places ended up being empty and dead of life.

Rocket Baby Dolls fucked around with this message at 16:05 on May 3, 2024

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

I've been banging my head against a wall with this puzzle. I thought I had figured it out and decided to go ahead with a recording but after 50 minutes I had to abandon it as my assumptions were wrong. I only managed to find the actual solution after checking out a Spanish LP. It turns out this puzzle has issues with the aspect ratio, which is slightly odd as the other 3/4 this puzzle works absolutely fine and they use the exact same mechanics.

It's fine raising the resolution and aspect ratio in-game but lowering it causes it to crash. I decided to just go ahead and record my test run of this and I'm glad that I did as it's going to save some time when I attempt a recording tomorrow. I'll cut out the resolution changes as it's just going to be a total mess but I will include the results of it as well as the ending to the chapter. I was hoping to have something up tonight but I've spent the last two hours on this drat puzzle and it's past midnight, I don't want to have a late night as my youngest is staying over and that usually means an early wake up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Welcome to Bombay, a place of dreams, danger and damaged telescopes. It turns out the freaky textures weren't fixed in the patch but they decided not to show themselves off during this recording. I do waffle on a bit and the NPCs weren't the most helpful, but I managed to get through this in mostly one piece.