Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Livo
Dec 31, 2023

Rad-daddio posted:

Serious answer; I watched a video of some guy in NYC who confronted a dude who was having some kind of mental health crisis and was damaging cars.

The guy who got stabbed was sitting on a nearby bench with his date, and went over to confront the guy and promptly got stabbed and bled out.

Also, back when my kids were in scouts we got back from a camping trip and our sleeping bags were soaked from getting rained on. Another dad went to a local laundromat to dry his and his son's gear out and suggested I do the same. I just went home and hung my stuff out to dry. Anyhoo, he got confronted by an aggressive panhandler at the laundromat, some kind of fight ensued and he got stabbed and bled out.

...I guess it's a legit phobia for me. So my main SD goal would be to be able to defuse/avoid/evade any situation where a knife gets brought out.

Most people who get stabbed don't even see the knife or realise they're being stabbed during the attack, so you need to recognize when someone is drawing a knife and when, (grab their hand whilst they're trying to pull something out of their pocket, overhook their elbow tightly whilst striking with your other hand/whatever. Yes, people already branishing their knives or weapons openly before attacking is a real concern, but in a lot of cases, you might not get that advance warning.

"Always assume your attacker always has a weapon like a knife or gun, and also assume they have friends ready to jump you if it goes physical." Very important to know as even if you're kicking the guy's arse, they might panic and pull out a knife or gun without you knowing they're now using a weapon.

The obvious answer is to be aware of potentially dangerous situations, know what aggressive/about to attack body language looks like, try to avoid the situation, verbally defuse if possible, but you also need to actually know what drawing a concealed weapon looks & feels like.

One drill I did many years ago was a wrestling drill with a twist. You'd start wrestling with a partner from the standing clinch, who had a knife concealed on them, and at some point they'd try and pull it out. Over time, you'd get a feeling of when they're reaching behind them/into a pocket and do something about it like controlling their limb. People wrestling or unarmed striking don't usually suddenly start reaching into their clothing or grabbing behind them and then "punching" you unless they're grabbing a weapon like a knife or gun.

Another way is having a partner with a concealed training knife on them at arms length. You just stand there, silently or verbally counting "Opportunity" repeatedly as they pull out their training knife, and only stop counting once they "stab" or "slash" you (they have to physically make contact with you to be an effective drill, no swiping the air BS with this one). The "opportunity" thing is making a note of what physical actions someone actually has to do to pull out a concealed weapon, and therefore what "opportunities" you can actually do something about it i.e. if they turn away from you and start reaching behind them during a scuffle, you have an opportunity to mess up their weapon draw when they turn away before they actually pull the weapon out; be it just grabbing or striking their hand/elbow going into their pocket. This will hopefully give you time to properly grab onto their limb then punch them whilst controlling the limb etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Grey Cat posted:

I fight for my life everytime I go to the bathroom.

Eat some drat vegetables for christ's sake

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Literally A Person posted:

Eat some drat vegetables for christ's sake

I beat the pants off this twerp in middle school

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

Waroduce posted:

Welcome to Waffle House. If it's your first night, you have to fight.

I can’t fight

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

I successfully fought off a guy (and buddy) with a knife in DC. I got slashed on my forearms and once on my chest, but nothing serious.

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

redshirt posted:

I successfully fought off a guy (and buddy) with a knife in DC. I got slashed on my forearms and once on my chest, but nothing serious.

That's hot. Chicks dig scars.

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

i leveled up my machinist a bit in ffxiv but in the end i preferred being a healer

The Hello Machine
Jul 19, 2021

I'm not a real machine, but I am a real Hello-sayer.
No, I cannot fight. Can't win any argument either.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

I am a bonafide scaredy cat, sensitive, and a pacifist. My 1940s Warner Bros. cartoon gangster build and surly resting bitch face would dispute this, but I'd rather be bottle feeding newborn kittens or baking muffins or some poo poo than fight someone.

Skulker
Jan 27, 2021

Duuuuuude!
I'm fairly tough, I think? I have a black belt in judo, boxed as a kid and do muay thai now.

Last time I got in a fight was about seven months ago, a guy jumped me from behind and started hammering at my skull with a glass paperweight. I was rocked, but managed to recover and break his jaw, eye socket, nose, two of his ribs and his left wrist. I had choked him unconscious just as the police arrived.

That being said, it was luck. If he'd hit me a bit different, if I'd stumbled on a kerb, if we'd landed differently when I hit harai goshi on him, it could've all went totally differently.

When I go to muay thai, I can hold my own against 70% of the class, and totally dominate maybe 10% of them. The remaining percentage punk on me so hard it's like watching a child try to fight a grownup. There's levels to it, and there's basically zero visual clues as to who can fuckin' kill you and who's a paper tiger - EXCEPT for Samoans and Maoris, never ever fight Samoans and Maoris.

Actually just don't fight anyone. Even if you win you feel like poo poo and your night's ruined. You can do a lot more with a kind word, a low soft tone and a decent 100m sprint.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

I don’t start fights I gently caress up real bad at them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tetSUOOO
Mar 1, 2024

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

I don’t start fights I gently caress up real bad at them.

getting your rear end kicked and not even asking for it, based