Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kanthulhu
Apr 8, 2009
NO ONE SPOIL GAME OF THRONES FOR ME!

IF SOMEONE TELLS ME THAT OBERYN MARTELL AND THE MOUNTAIN DIE THIS SEASON, I'M GOING TO BE PISSED.

BUT NOT HALF AS PISSED AS I'D BE IF SOMEONE WERE TO SPOIL VARYS KILLING A LANISTER!!!

(Dany shits in a field)

DarthRoblox posted:

They’re new in dominions 6 - I’ll do a proper intro later, but they’re basically semi-civilized cave tribes who have been tempted into blood-based shenanigans by goat-men.

Mechanically, they have mostly human and Bekyryde troops, who are sorta caveman like. They also have sacred knights riding big horn sheep, and mostly dabble in nature and blood magic.

They are semi-civilized by Middle Age? I guess cave-goat-people aren't the best researchers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

Kanthulhu posted:

They are semi-civilized by Middle Age? I guess cave-goat-people aren't the best researchers.

I'd say they're pretty advanced by MA standards. They get good crossbowmen and their sheep knights are well armored and surprisingly strong. Absolutely abysmal magic resistance, though.

Kanthulhu
Apr 8, 2009
NO ONE SPOIL GAME OF THRONES FOR ME!

IF SOMEONE TELLS ME THAT OBERYN MARTELL AND THE MOUNTAIN DIE THIS SEASON, I'M GOING TO BE PISSED.

BUT NOT HALF AS PISSED AS I'D BE IF SOMEONE WERE TO SPOIL VARYS KILLING A LANISTER!!!

(Dany shits in a field)
Good Nature and Blood, plus crossbowmen? Sounds like a pretty powerful nation to me.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
As implied by the name, Pyrene draws from the folklore of the Basque people who live in the region of the Pyrenees that define the border between Spain and France.

IthilionTheBrave
Sep 5, 2013
They also have pretty well armored greatswords and sword and board for line infantry. And their other mages are good at blasting away with Air magic (which has pretty good battle magic for both blasting and some army support). And their sacred sheep knights are pretty good (but nowhere near as good as Knights of Avalon, not like I'm biased or anything), but as mentioned are let down by their mounts having ABYSMAL magic resistance. Another nation with half decent N can easily Charm Animal the goats, which causes them to kick off their rider and change sides. They have an MR of 5, average is 10.

I almost launched into a rant on how good Knights of Avalon are, but I'll hold off until I become relevant. Darthroblox can probably articulate it better anyway!

IthilionTheBrave fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Apr 28, 2024

DarthRoblox
Nov 25, 2007
*rolls ankle* *gains 15lbs* *apologizes to TFLC* *rolls ankle*...
Turn 14

A fairly quiet turn aside from the battles - some turns you get 10 random events, other times barely any. The event this turn is in our cap, and it's a bit of fun flavor:

Each ~year (12 turns), Phaeacia gets a contingent of these dudes, honoring the ancient pact. These are proper giants, size 6 (out of 10), 2 larger than our colossi. They're led by a Lochos, this fine fella:

He's a very solid combatant - decent protection, magic armor and weapons, lots of HP and skill. One gripe I have with these guys is that they can't actually sail as a unit ability. That means that for now, this guy and his seven buddies (they're basically the same troop, just with mundane equipment instead of magic) are going to just hang out in our capital. We're sailing some priests in to the mainland this turn to try and get dark sails up and running.

Onto the actual fights!

First up, a scout observes T'ien Ch'i's PG chow down on some indies - nothing new there. We do see it cast personal stoneskin and strength of giants, which are Alteration 2 and Enchantment 1 spells, telling us TC has focused research towards buffing their god for now. Useful info to file away.

Next up, we have our trash mercs running into a decent amount of PD. Luckily it's low-armor tribe PD, so we can actually hurt them.

It's a messy affair, with both sides taking plenty of losses. Foul spawn put out a decent amount of damage since they have 2 attacks each (every unit gets to use all of it's attacks each round, so these guys hit twice). They start to trickle through to the backlines.

Eventually they manage to attrition down the PD to the point where it breaks, handing us a win.

A few losses, but absolutely acceptable for a 40 gold investment. The province alone will pay for that cost in a turn, and it makes sure that TC can't snipe it before we could otherwise get to it. I don't really have a use for these guys after this, so I'll likely run them into the nearby throne province to scout out what kind of troops are in it.

Onto the real fight for the turn:

On our side, a fairly similar arrangement to the fight against Phlegra's PG, if a bit lighter on troops due to leaving some behind to keep the capital under siege.

Phlegra's side is a little chaotic - I'm not actually sure if this is the previous player's arrangement before they went AI, or if this is what the AI chose to do. Either way, the troops are fairly spread out and are likely to run into our lines pretty piecemeal.

We also get a look at Phlegra's prophet, I'd hit *that* with a club. Take a look at that damage, 44 damage on a 13 attack club is actually pretty formidable. Combined with the extra HP for being a prophet in friendly dominion, and this guy could actually be fairly rough. Very little protection though.

The initial clash is between the gigante squads and our guard - the tyrants are sitting in the back and self-buffing. This isn't great for the gigantes - they don't have the highest attack and our guard have pretty good defense.

A few rounds on, and we can see two status effects on the gigantes. The pink-ish looking ones have gone berserk (will never rout, extra attack, strength, and protection at the cost of defense and fatigue) while the grayed out looking one has been stunned by a lightning bolt.

Lightning bolts do their work, and the gigantes squad is mostly cleaned up. A squad of our heavies has broken away into the enemy backlines... right as the two tyrants have finally made their way over. These guys are going to have a bad time; the tyrants will demolish them in small numbers.

Despite that, our troops finish off the last of the gigantes and completely surround the farther forward tyrant. Light colossi have a tough time damaging him, but with so many incoming attacks they'll get lucky sometimes. Shortly after that the remaining PD and crossbow troops break, leaving just the berserk tyrant and cyclops prophet left on the field. They last for a bit due to protection and HP, but we manage to spear and bolt them down eventually.

And with that, we've traded a few light and heavy Colossi for the remaining forces Phlegra has on the field. Our scouts can see the rest of their lands and there's only a few random troops here and there, mostly survivors that fled previous battles.

As a result, we're going hyper-aggressive here. With no remaining armies to worry about, we're going to go for the rare quintuple attack. If successful, this should claim nearly every remaining Phlegran province. We also spot a stack of spiders from Machaka to the north - those make me slightly nervous since they're fairly nasty sacreds. After reaching out to Machaka's player though we agree to stay friendly for now - a war between us would be pretty destructive to both sides, nothing like the very fast war that we just won.

Each attack looks very similar to this - 10 frontline troops of mixed heavies and guard, backed by 20 or so lights. This should be more than enough to deal with even quite a lot of PD and I'm totally fine with a few losses here to secure our profit from the war. Assuming this works, we'll be in good shape to start thinking about next steps. Despite the win here, we're only still only at about 19 provinces if we take all 5 this turn. That's way better than we were doing, but in my opinion if you're not gaining territory this early on then other players are, putting you behind.

We want to get a lot of forts and temples built to spread our really good scales, which means income and coastal provinces to put those forts on. While Machaka is looking tough, TC seems to be struggling a bit to fill in all of their indie provinces...

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
It's extremely satisfying when you clinch a strategically superior position and just have like red move arrows going everywhere as you rush the hell out of someone, either raiding them or having broken their defensive strongpoints/counterattacked and moving in to eat them up.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

I've played every dominions game since 3 and didn't even know 6 was out til this LP. So, thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarthRoblox
Nov 25, 2007
*rolls ankle* *gains 15lbs* *apologizes to TFLC* *rolls ankle*...

feller posted:

I've played every dominions game since 3 and didn't even know 6 was out til this LP. So, thanks!

You got it! There's a few newbie-oriented lobbies actively wanting players on the discord if multiplayer is your thing.