Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Vegetable posted:

Death of the author doesn’t mean ignore the author you dummy. It just means don’t treat the author as the word of god.

You just called the author's stated intentions nothing more than "a bit of fun trivia." You were saying people should ignore the author.

Also, that's a really oversimplified understanding of Barthes' writing. "Death of the Author" is about radically rethinking what we consider authorship and authority. You're using the term to refer to the Intentional Fallacy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
'Death of the Author' was a suggestion, not a divine command.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Guess we're all waiting for Barthes to tell us exactly what he meant by "death of the author" so we finally know who's right and who's wrong.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Again, the trap is to be like “oh they are rude and crude people. This is obvious criticism!!!”, when that actually has little to do with the profession itself. Like, if I were to make a story about truckers and they were depicted as swearing and, I dunno, smoking cigarettes - who’d care?

This is one of those "boss baby vibes" type things. Like, have you seen the first fifteen minutes of THEY LIVE? The political sophistication would completely blow your mind if these are the expectations.

YggdrasilTM posted:

What does the movie actually say?

Not a single drat thing.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Open Source Idiom posted:

Guess we're all waiting for Barthes to tell us exactly what he meant by "death of the author" so we finally know who's right and who's wrong.

this got a sensible chuckle from me

YggdrasilTM posted:

don't steal gas in north carolina

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Open Source Idiom posted:

:v:

Alas, he is for reals dead.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

'Death of the Author' was a suggestion, not a divine command.

It's obviously not a divine command, but aside from the fact that you can take any interpretive lens as just a suggestion, Barthes's language is pretty imperative: "the birth of the reader must be at the cost of the death of the author" (my emphasis).

And it's important to understand that Barthes' point is more broadly about reconsidering the idea of authorship and authority, not just whether or not one should consider authors' stated intentions. The essay begins with an argument that our idea of the author is a relatively recent Western concept that was born out of English empiricism and French rationalism and reified by capitalism.

It's a short and interesting essay that I divinely commandsuggest everyone read: https://sites.tufts.edu/english292b/files/2012/01/Barthes-The-Death-of-the-Author.pdf

PeterWeller fucked around with this message at 19:38 on May 3, 2024

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Also, if the author intent has no relevance at all, then let's go by committee and focus group and all that stuff.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
If the author's intent is paramount then you can't look at cave art and say anything about it because you literally have no idea what it means, what they were trying to do, how their society was structured, anything. It's basically alien art from people whose mindset we cannot know.

Of course, that's ridiculous.

On the other hand there's an art installation that just a pile of candy and some words from the artist and it moved me to tears, although in that case the artist is merely providing context. But I have to admit that without the artists guidance it would have been a pile of candy. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%22Untitled%22_(Portrait_of_Ross_in_L.A.)

I generally think, however, that film as a medium doesn't need the author's context, or if it's required they can use a title card or other element. You don't need a BTS vid or an interview, IMO.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

YggdrasilTM posted:

That we need to execute a combined arms assault on the White House and it would be really cool

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Has anyone got an insight on all the coloured chalk that's in several WF scenes in this film? Is it a military thing that I'm not familiar with or just an aesthetic touch?

I shouldn't have, but I laughed a bit when Jesse sits right slap bang in the middle of some for a perfectly composed piece of cinematography during the she's meant to be going into shock.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

If the author's intent is paramount then you can't look at cave art and say anything about it because you literally have no idea what it means, what they were trying to do, how their society was structured, anything. It's basically alien art from people whose mindset we cannot know.

Of course, that's ridiculous.

On the other hand there's an art installation that just a pile of candy and some words from the artist and it moved me to tears, although in that case the artist is merely providing context. But I have to admit that without the artists guidance it would have been a pile of candy. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%22Untitled%22_(Portrait_of_Ross_in_L.A.)

I generally think, however, that film as a medium doesn't need the author's context, or if it's required they can use a title card or other element. You don't need a BTS vid or an interview, IMO.

When I go to museums I actively try not to read the artist's statement or even the art's title, but to observe it in its own merit. I make it a point to be conscious of how I react to it & the thoughts I have about it, then I'll look at the title and see how off I am. I will even credit if a piece piques my curiosity enough to seek its title.

In an ideal world a person should approach art with as little foresight as possible so that a relatively unbiased opinion can be formed, then you can look at "author's intent" and judge if they were successful or not. Is this always possible in our modern technological age? No, but it's nice to try.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Android Apocalypse posted:

When I go to museums I actively try not to read the artist's statement or even the art's title, but to observe it in its own merit. I make it a point to be conscious of how I react to it & the thoughts I have about it, then I'll look at the title and see how off I am. I will even credit if a piece piques my curiosity enough to seek its title.

I completely agree but in this case I was thinking "how is a pile of candy art?" and read the sign. I had to admit that for this piece, the explanation/context by the artist was critical.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

I completely agree but in this case I was thinking "how is a pile of candy art?" and read the sign. I had to admit that for this piece, the explanation/context by the artist was critical.

It's just unprofessional, the precedent is the artist having an entire song about it