Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I ride bikes all day
Sep 10, 2007

I shitposted in the same thread for 2 years and all I got was this red text av. Ask me about my autism!

College Slice
I’m between jobs, with 27 years in IT. I’ve worked every PC related job from Computer Janitor to Helpdesk to System/Database/Network Engineer & Administrator. I hate coding with a passion and it’s been the 2nd most impactful factor in my career. It’s like purposely trying to talk wrong. Perfectly.

My buddy suggested that I take my ability to translate complex subjects into simple explanations would make me good as an AI Prompt Engineer. However, on SA it seems to be the butt of a joke. What am I missing here?

Anyone have a better idea?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.
I mean, the short answer is nobody is going to give you a job just writing prompts for AIs, or at least not one that pays decently. Do a search for "Prompt Engineer" or "AI Engineer" postings on your preferred job search site: there aren't actually that many of them, and the ones that are there generally require a data science background, which means you are not going to be able to escape from coding.

You are also likely to be out of a job if it turns out everyone saying AI is a bubble is right and it pops, so that's a consideration.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
You should take out a (preferably large) loan to survive on while pursuing your dreams as a prompt engineer, it will definitely go really well and you'll pay back the loan in no time with your expert prompt writing skills, which are in high demand because of all the people who call themselves prompt engineers (it indicates a booming market). You can do it OP, and please report back with your amazing success so we can live vicariously through you!

Edit: seriously tho no one actually wants to pay someone to write a prompt. If they're so keen on LLMs they'd just ask chatGPT to write the prompt for them. It's a fictitious job that people named to make themselves seem more legitimate, like calling yourself a "dream engineer" when you just like trying to set up your friends on bad blind dates.

I ride bikes all day
Sep 10, 2007

I shitposted in the same thread for 2 years and all I got was this red text av. Ask me about my autism!

College Slice
Fair enough, thanks for not being complete assholes.

Quick Stop
May 12, 2001

D'flecting d'fensive ends and d'bilitating injuries
Have you considered something developer adjacent like Technical Program Manager? The ability to learn, deal with ambiguity, explain things clearly so that teams can align around them, etc are key skills for the role.

I was a developer for 10 years, and while I didn't hate coding it was never a pleasure or passion for me like it is for many others. Which meant that I naturally took on a lot of responsibilities for organizing the team, etc. A couple of years ago I switched to a TPM role which I'm much better at than I ever was as a developer because it lets me leverage the other skills I acquired without coding being the main focus of the job.