Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
caught up on night 3, mostly just left it on as background noise. that said, the main definitely had some cool stuff in it

still hoping for big things for ren. i think i'm drawn to him because i am not a fan of ddt's resident young tall guy, yukio naya, who actually did win their last tournament. ren ayabe has much more charisma, if maybe a bit less ability.

suwama being the only guy with no losses already is kind of wild, used to g1 booking where i feel like you usually have a couple guys in a given block go a while before eating their first loss.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

abraham linksys posted:

caught up on night 3, mostly just left it on as background noise. that said, the main definitely had some cool stuff in it

still hoping for big things for ren. i think i'm drawn to him because i am not a fan of ddt's resident young tall guy, yukio naya, who actually did win their last tournament. ren ayabe has much more charisma, if maybe a bit less ability.

suwama being the only guy with no losses already is kind of wild, used to g1 booking where i feel like you usually have a couple guys in a given block go a while before eating their first loss.

I'd predict maybe three more wins for Ren, over DBS Jr., Hokuto Omori, and Kuroshio TOKYO Japan. I have a feeling beating Kento will be his big moment for now.

Suwama will definitely be eating some losses here soon, maybe as early as the next show against Anzai. I'm curious if we'll see any draws this go 'round. I think New Japan really improved the G1 last year with the 20 minute time limits. Thirty minutes is kind of pushing it... I thought Kento and Yuma might work there way up to it. There was certainly enough drama with both taking turns playing possum.

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

I want Omori to pick up exactly 1 win in the last block match, when Friend Horse helps him beat Yuma Aoiyagi to deny him the finals

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009
Who do we think Friend Horse is? It's honestly the most compelling storyline of the tournament.

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

My first guess was Omori's former tag partner Yusuke Kodama, who is as pale as Friend Horse but as far as I remember was a fair bit broader in the shoulders. Maybe Seigo Tachibana, who's the right build and level of tan but wouldn't make a ton of sense at the moment. An out there answer could be NJPW's YOH, who's currently out with injury and could be doing this as a build for the UJPW June 15th event

It's not the same Horse Face but wouldn't be surprised if YOH owned multiple in different colours, he's a pretty out there guy

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

apophenium posted:

Wednesday 24th April
6:30pm JST/8:30pm AEDT/10:30am BST/5:30am EDT/2:30am PDT

Champion Carnival Night 4
Shinagawa Prince Hotel Stellar Ball, Tokyo
Dan Tamura, Hikaru Sato & Rei Saito vs Hartley Jackson, Ryo Inoue & Seigo Tachibana
Champion Carnival A Block: Hokuto Omori vs Kuroshio TOKYO Japan
Champion Carnival B Block: Jun Saito vs Road Crewe
Champion Carnival A Block: Cyrus vs Ren Ayabe
Champion Carnival B Block: Hideki Suzuki vs Ryuki Honda
Davey Boy Smith Jr & MUSASHI vs Kento Miyahara & Rising HAYATO
Champion Carnival A Block: Shotaro Ashino vs Yuma Aoyagi
Champion Carnival B Block: Suwama vs Yuma Anzai
Live on ajpw.tv

Friendly reminder that this is in just under 9 hours. Honestly not the best card on paper, although I'm looking forward to Omori having to deal with Ikemen, & Ashino vs Aoyagi as well. Plus Jun Saito vs Lord Crewe is kinda intriguing.

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009
Dan got a haircut :) Kinda lookin' like Moe Howard

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009
Well, unless they're pulling a switch-a-roo I don't think Seigo is Friend Horse. The plot thickens. Or maybe it's clearer now who Friend Horse could be...

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009
Referee Daisuke is really letting a lot slide in this Omori Kuroshio match. I'm getting suspicious...

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009
drat, Lord Crewe v. Jun was basically heatless. That's a bummer. Usually the Saito's have some folks hollering for them, but not much here.

Ayabe looks like a superstar in his sparkly jacket :3: I hope he got some luck from rubbing Cyrus's head.

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009
Aw, look who got his jacket!

https://x.com/LordCreweKills/status/1783123002793816204

Still watching night 4. Honda v. Suzuki was pretty good. Maybe Suzuki's best showing of the tournament. I thought the tag match after intermission was good, too. I dunno. Davey Boy Smith Jr. kinda works for me. I like that he does the Bret Hart brainbuster where he kicks his leg up as he falls. Looks really cool.

Top two matches both should be solid, even if Suwama's slowed down a bit. I can still suspend my disbelief for him. Yuma and Shotaro could have the best match of the Carnival.

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009
Well, I think the top two matches of night four were both the best matches of the tourney so far! Main event started kind of slow but they had the crowd going nuts by the end. This tournament has been transformative for Yuma Anzai. He's gained: new gear, a new powermove finisher (that weird legtrap sitout driver), and now a new submission finisher (a stretch plum I think). He's going to be a force to be reckoned with.

Standings after night four:

Card for night five:

Saturday 27th April
7:00pm JST/9:00pm AEDT/11:00am BST/6:00am EDT/3:00am PDT

Champion Carnival Night 5
Osaka Edion Arena Osaka 2nd Stadium
Shotaro Ashino Seigo Tachibana MUSASHI v. Hikaru Sato Dan Tamura Lord Crewe
Champion Carnival A Block: Hokuto Omori (0) v. Ren Ayabe (2)
Champion Carnival B Block: Hideki Suzuki (2) v. Hartley Jackson (0)
Champion Carnival A Block: Kento Miyahara (4) v. Cyrus (2)
Suwama Naruki Doi Ryo Inoue v. Yuma Aoyagi Rising HAYATO Bodyguard
Champion Carnival A Block: Kuroshio TOKYO Japan (4) v. Davey Boy Smith Jr. (2)
Champion Carnival B Block: Jun Saito (6) v. Ryuki Honda (2)
Champion Carnival B Block : Yuma Anzai (6) v. Rei Saito (2)
Live on ajpw.tv

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

I am so relieved Suwama put over Anzai.

Couple of cracking matches on that show.

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Night 4 thoughts
- Still weird to see Rei teaming with Evolution, him catching Hartley's crossbody was very cool though. I've never really thought about how beefy Tachibana is until he was squaring off with Dan, keen for the match between them at Korakuen
- I think Ikeman's entrance is even funnier watching the VOD where they completely mute the stream for his entrance, ref dragging his rear end for time wasting in complete silence rules hard. The he took another kid
- Is Friend Horse Kazushi Sakuraba, and they're subtly messaging that to me by doing the Gracie train entrance? The plot thickens
- :laffo: the low powered jacket punches. Crowd did not seem into this one at all but I had a good time
- Crewe doing the Sheamus clubs to the chest in the middle of the ring is a strange visual. Once again wish the crowd were more into this, thought this was a very neat beef battle that did it's job efficiently
- HE SLAMMED THE GIANT :derp: I've actually really enjoyed how they've used Cyrus this time around, a marked improvement over his last two CC
- I have no feelings about Honda/Suzuki, I blinked and it was over
- Ashino/Yuma ruled, crowd were finally completely awake for some of these ridiculous suplexes. Thought Ashino should gone for the cover a bit earlier as I was sure Yuma was kicking out and still get annoyed by how slow Kyohei is at counting pins but we can't have everything
- Main event also ruled, Anzai's incredible and SUWAMA was more than willing to put the work in to get over the future of the company. Not sold on his sumission finisher yet but crowd were very keen for it

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Night 5 starting soon, not super keen on the top half of the card but the first few block matches should be good

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009
Omori is finally on the board with the secret art of dick kick :toot:

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009
Hartley Jackson is having a pretty rotten tournament :(

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009
drat, Cyrus really going berserk! He's had some pretty entertaining matches this tourney.

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Night 5 thoughts, broken up by match
- Opening 6-man was sweet. Lord Crewe still hasn't had a singles performance that's blown me away but he was great here cooming in, doing some power moves and getting back out. Seigo Tachibana continues his transformation into Jr hoss which i'm totally here for, not sure i've ever seen that finisher from him but it looked sweet here

- Omori isn't even trying for twin magic with Friend Horse anymore :lol: it was basically pointless anyways since he's always the one wearing blue
- Ayabe is brutalising this poor boy, leave him alone :stonk:
- VICTORY FOR DICK KICKS :neckbeard:

- Jackson vs Suzuki was entirely my poo poo, I just want my Aussie boy to start winning soon

- I've completely turned around on Cyrus, want more of him completely steamrolling people. Kento of course remains the best
- There is no loving way Kento is hitting the Shutdown Suplex on Cyrus, man's simply too big
- STOLEN. That match ruled, perfect use of Cyrus

- Return of Bodyger, and also lol at Suwama being in this 6-man tag instead of the opener with his Evolution teammates
- Suwama demanding the Aoyagi supporters towel from that lady in the front row so he could smother Yuma with it :lol:
- Oh cool, Bodyguard won :geno:

- I am flummoxed by the positive reaction DBSjr got during his entrance
- "What is this?" "It's me" :laffo:
- The match itself was absolutely fine, the guys worked well together even if it weren't my taste

- Such monsters ajpw.tv are muting the Saito brothers entrance
- Strange that the crowd aren't super into this when they've been pretty loud the whole night
- Jun Saito leading the block, if Anzai didn't hold the tiebreaker over him i'd think that's what would decide the block

- Oh poo poo Anzai splatted on the floor, wonder if he were supposed to properly land on the apron there
- loving hell Rei, there were fans in the path of that guardrail
- Sumo thrusting Anzai into the corner ruled
- Double Saito brothers win, that last flurry from Rei with the headbutts and slaps were brilliant
- Very neat David vs Goliath matchup, even if I personally enjoyed Cyrus vs Kento doing it earlier a bit more

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009
Standings after Night 5:

Night 6 starts in about eleven hours. Here's the card:

Dan Tamura & Ryo Inoue v. Seigo Tachibana & MUSASHI
Champion Carnival A Block: Yuma Aoyagi (4) v. Cyrus (2)
Champion Carnival B Block: Rei Saito (4) v. Lord Crewe (2)
Jun Saito, Ren Ayabe, & Rising HAYATO v. Ryuki Honda, Kuroshio TOKYO Japan, & Hikaru Sato
Champion Carnival A Block: Hokuto Omori (2) v. Davey Boy Smith Jr. (4)
Champion Carnival B Block: Yuma Anzai (6) v. Hartley Jackson (0)
Champion Carnival A Block: Shotaro Ashino (6) v. Kento Miyahara (6)
Champion Carnival B Block: Hideki Suzuki (4) v. Suwama (4)

Hartley is the only winless fella in this thing so far and I don't like his chances against Anzai. Suzuki and Suwama had a singles match against each other not too long ago that I thought was fine. Hope they can turn it up here. The Suzuki and Hartley match from night 5 was pretty solid cause it looked like they were almost shooting on each other. The other big story is the tie-breaker match between Shotaro and Kento. That should be an incredible match and I wish it was the main event, but oh well.

It looks like the story they're telling with Anzai is that he really came into his own to triumph over Katsuhiko Nakajima, started off strong in the tournament, but lacks the veteran canniness to survive a rigorous tournament schedule. I have a feeling he'll lose the TC to whoever comes out of this with the trophy.

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Show is starting in 20 minutes, Kento vs Ashino is on the splash screen and also last in the order on the show page so hopefully it does main event over Suzuki vs SUWAMA, who I really enjoy as a team but not as a main event

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

That running elbow smash from Tachibana continues to look great

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Surprised Cyrus lost another one, was expecting him to be upper mid table at this point

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

That was impressive, gives me hope Crewe can actually get Rei up for his finisher

e: Well, Crewe got the win but unfortunately none of thoose spinning kicks were on target

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Finally, children are standing up to Ikeman's constant kidnapping attempts

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

HAYATO won the chicken fight, Ikeman is devastated

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Friend Horse is going it alone tonight

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Hartley has the crowf support of Anzai, I love it

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

My dreams have turned to ash in my mouth :negative:

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Match ruled, wrong winner

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Those are some drat crisp forearm shots

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Eh, that ending was a bit flat, otherwise nice match but shouldn't have main evented

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009
drat, they got a pretty good crowd for this show! And I love how into Cyrus they are. I didn't see last year's but I guess he made an impression on the crowds.

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009
Jacketless Kuroshio... It's like seeing a turtle without its shell

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009
drat, I think Hartley Jackson is officially out of reach of the finals with that loss to Yuma Anzai. Oh well. Jackson is still number one in my heart.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
just caught up on night 4, gonna go ahead and roll into night 5. last couple matches pretty good! i'll admit i'm in catch-up mode and watching while doing other stuff, but that semi-main where ayogi just fell directly on his loving brain after a suplex from the MASTER OF SUPLEX popped me big even if it was probably more of a botch than an intentional dumbass sell

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009
Standings after night 6:

Kento Miyahara stands alone at the top of the A block with eight points, while Yuma Anzai leads Block B with a tiebreaker victory over Jun Saito, both sitting pretty with eight points.

Night 7 is happening soon, but won't be live on ajpw.tv. The VOD should be going up sometime tomorrow, I think. It's not on the site yet, at least.

Yuma Anzai, Rising HAYATO, & Ryo Inoue v. Jun Saito, MUSASHI, & Hikaru Sato
Champion Carnival B Block: Hideki Suzuki (6) v. Lord Crewe (4)
Champion Carnival B Block: Rei Saito (4) v. Hartley Jackson (0)
Champion Carnival A Block: Hokuto Omori (2) v. Cyrus (2)
Shotaro Ashino & Dan Tamura v. Shin Toyama Black (I have no idea who this is) & Seigo Tachibana
Champion Carnival A Block: Ren Ayabe (4) v. Davey Boy Smith Jr. (2)
Champion Carnival B Block: Suwama (4) v. Ryuki Honda (2)
Champion Carnival A Block: Kuroshio TOKYO Japan (4) v. Kento Miyahara (8)

Main event Kuroshio! Hideki Suzuki has a chance to climb to tie Jun and Anzai if he can avoid getting knocked out by the merciless Lord Crewe. Hartley Jackson is running out of chances to nab a win, but drat it, I'm rooting for him! Jackson Number One! I'm not actually sure if any of the fellows with 2 points are out of contention yet. Jackson obviously is. There are some interesting scenarios in Block A! Anzai's chances are pretty much down to whether or not he can beat Suzuki on the 4th. I dunno. I'm not really smart enough to figure out all the permutations.