Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JamesieAB
Nov 5, 2005
What is your dream camera? Does it exist? If it doesn't, could it? Is your camera or any other nearly perfect? If so what would need to be changed to make it perfect?

These are the questions no one is asking. Until now.

I'll get us started with the following mess of uninformed nonsense.

Purpose - General, Street
Media - digital
Format - M43 (not tied into a single manufacturers lenses)

The Dream!

A manual no nonsense camera with just a few features, dials and buttons.

Features:
A) Uses manual lenses only.
B) A large high definition EVF.
C) A 16+ Megapixel stabilised sensor and output to fast micro SD card/s.
D) No AUTOFOCUS, AUTOEXPOSURE, LCD, USB, HDMI, Wifi, Bluetooth, Video or JPEG (shoots RAW).
E) Could the price be around the £500 mark?

Dials:
1) ISO
2) Shutter speed.
3) Control settings (a few settings only) e.g. metering type.
4) Clickable selection dial e.g. point, centre weighted etc (options appear in EVF).

Buttons:
Z) Digital Zoom to aid focus
Y) Gallery - Click the clickable selection dial to toggle between move through pictures, zoom in and out, pan left/right, pan up/down. Rotate to perform these actions.
X) Delete Picture.
W) Voice notes (Last picture taken or current picture in Gallery).
V) Shutter button

Why?

Most current cameras have too many features, dials and buttons.
Worst of all they have way too many menu options (easily in the upper hundreds).
After a year with my xt-3 I still have to hunt through the menus packed with a lot of stuff I just don't need.

I find all this gets in the way and must be the only reason I take such lovely pictures!

Your turn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

The perfect camera already exists

Close this thread

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib
Digital view camera. It doesn't even have to be large format per se, I'll accept like a 2x3 baby Graflex sized one. Just put like a tablet sized screen on the back instead of ground glass

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib
A Polaroid I-2 with PSAM modes etc but it takes Instax Wide

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib
A digital 6x17

frumpykvetchbot
Feb 20, 2004

PROGRESSIVE SCAN
Upset Trowel
A fully programmable / hackable modern 35mm fullframe camera with some popular lens mount.

Not a dirty unofficial hack like Magic Lantern. I want a vendor-endorsed scripting / custom software API and SDK.

JamesieAB
Nov 5, 2005

Fantastic! I would love to see someone produce a sensor that size.

How about a medium format sensor with a fish eye lens aligned vertically and correct/crop in post?

Instead of a fish eye could you use a normal lens with a rotating 45 degree mirror?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Yes please.

The downside is it would sell so few copies that they'd have to charge $10k for it to make any money at all. At that point you might as well buy a 100MP medium format camera and throw away 2/3 the pixels to get the same ratio. But still, a dedicated 6x17 digital camera would be so drat nice, stitching images at home is a chore I despise.

As for quality of life features, I crave a camera with internal storage as well as in-camera backup. You can sorta fudge it on bodies with dual slots but what I'd really like is to plug an SSD into a usb port and it copies everything on the cards to that hard drive. The faff needed to do a field backup right now is an absolute pile of poo poo. Wireless tethering to phone apps that aren't dogshit would be a huge plus too. And all physical controls should be fully customizable to any function the camera supports.

Also a line of modern built prime lenses with a ~20cm flange distance so we can have digital technical cameras. Yeah you can adapt 645 glass and get there right now, but the focus and shutter mechanisms are useless with a bellows and digital back.

JamesieAB
Nov 5, 2005
More of a form factor thing this time, I call it "Nelsons Column".

I did consider a few other names, "Trafalgar" after ABBA's poorly received first attempt at Eurovision and "Kiss me Hardy" after the notorious Brokeback Mountain incident.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GXEKb7-Bkwg
Yes I know - Kismet. "Ringpiece" was an early contender for reasons below.

A cylindrical camera, instead of a cylinder with a cuboid at the back.

There would be a cylinder divided into 3 sections, lens, sensor, grip/control, the latter 2 being about 3 inches in diameter.

lens:
Aperture, focus and zoom rings depending on the lens you choose or if there's a bridge version, a ridiculous zoom with all 3.

Sensor:

M43/ASPC/FULL/MEDIUM. I think each could all fit in a 3 inch diameter form factor?
Rings for shutter speed, iso,

Grip/Control:

Rings for settings (card, metering, gallery, format) and setting selection/gallery control.

A hatch on the "bottom" for battery and cards. The "top" would have the gallery , gallery option (nXn,single, back, forward, zoom and pan), delete, voice note and shutter buttons.

Should be equally usable for lefties and righties and could be rotated then locked for the most comfortable position (in relation to the sensor orientation.

This should be where a grip and wrist strap can also be rotated and locked.

At the end would be a large EVF with an indicator for which ring you are touching (oooh err).

I could imagine this being available in a bridge verrsion with a ridiculous zoom in a fully weather sealed system.

Also an interchangeble lens system and possibly interchangable sensor sections individually weather sealed of course. You could start off with an ASPC sensor and add FULL later.

Any thoughts? obvious problems I missed. Also this would be less minimal then my previous dream camera but keeps the menu option count down using the settings and setting selection ring sparingly.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
All I want at this point is vertical shooting controls/shutter on a non-gripped body. All the other things I'd want aren't tech limited as much as physics limited like fast lenses that are also tiny. A 24-70 1.8 would be my grail.

Oh, how about a modern CCD point and shoot with a decent lens that is also an android phone.

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

frumpykvetchbot posted:

A fully programmable / hackable modern 35mm fullframe camera with some popular lens mount.

Not a dirty unofficial hack like Magic Lantern. I want a vendor-endorsed scripting / custom software API and SDK.

Same. Honest example: when doing research for shooting panoramic or other form factor moving picture stuff, it's really loving stupid that none of the cameras allow you to preview or shoot with an adjustable aspect ratio. It's 2024, a teenager could program this.

Let's take camera security seriously. Why are there literally zero options for remote locking or having a passcode after 24hr security feature? When Apple introduced security features and thieves realized that a stolen phone is now just a brick, it had a measurable impact on phone theft.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
It didn’t really though. Now, phones are just shipped off to china where they’re stripped for parts and sold back to factories. That exact thing happened to a goon two weeks after the 15s came out (he was able to follow the trail with find my iPhone all the way to china).

Ok a similar note though, the file authenticity system in the new Leicas is interesting in the age of AI and everything else.

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

Bottom Liner posted:

It didn’t really though. Now, phones are just shipped off to china where they’re stripped for parts and sold back to factories. That exact thing happened to a goon two weeks after the 15s came out (he was able to follow the trail with find my iPhone all the way to china).

This is a rather stupid derail but come on. https://techcrunch.com/2015/02/11/apples-activation-lock-leads-to-big-drops-in-smartphone-theft-worldwide/

Even if everything you said is true do you think there's a massive camera theft -> camera breakdown pipeline like there is for phones that would make this a profitable endeavor for criminals? The crime is to just steal an expensive camera then resell it precisely because there are zero security features on any camera, ever.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

If Canon could just remake the R7 with a 24MP sensor and a slightly deeper buffer, that'd be enough for me :v:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

RillAkBea posted:

If Canon could just remake the R7 with a 24MP sensor and a slightly deeper buffer, that'd be enough for me :v:

And the R5 dial layout.

The joystick/wheel thing up by the EVF annoys me.

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

have you tried cRAW? you get like 50% more buffer for a pretty negligible loss of dynamic range

but yeah, I don't see the need to uphold the ASPC=compact concept here, just slap those internals in the R6m2 chassis and you'd have a much better camera

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!
I’d love if Nikon made a fixed lens full frame camera with the 24mp sensor. Something as small as possible that’s a low light monster. An X100 of sorts.

And with that give me a D500 mirrorless successor. Put the Z9 autofocus in an updated pro-ish body with that DX crop factor reach to make the ultimate birding camera. That would own with all the new lightweight, telephoto lenses.

I feel like that second one is inevitable if not for the speculation that Nikon may abandon DX completely.

frumpykvetchbot
Feb 20, 2004

PROGRESSIVE SCAN
Upset Trowel

tuna posted:

Same. Honest example: when doing research for shooting panoramic or other form factor moving picture stuff, it's really loving stupid that none of the cameras allow you to preview or shoot with an adjustable aspect ratio. It's 2024, a teenager could program this.

Years back I was helping a stop motion animation production create a practical camera setup based on a Nikon D3, going by production notes from Wes Anderson's "Fantastic Mr. Fox" set. We had a primitive arduino controlled rig for the camera to create controlled moves and rotations with simulated motion blur achieved with long exposures while the axes dial in the next frame, like a discount cargo cult impression of the Lucasfilm OG star wars "Dykstraflex" match move system.

The ONLY camera controls Nikon made available for automation was the shutter control which we operated from the Arduino in bulb mode. We had to physically fiddle with the camera buttons, menus and dials all the loving time.. Eventually we got a stepper motor setup to drive the focus ring. But the experience from that project made me really really want a scriptable camera where you could create a project-specific setup on it where for example we could save to different card or FTP folders the exposures for individual lighting layers in the shooting passes, set exposure internally as opposed to clumsy bulb timing, and maybe create overlay graphics like framing / masking lines on the HDMI output with frame numbers.

We used a big clumsy setup with a PC hosting the FTP server for the D3 to dump into, and a Processing app rendering an onion skin stack of the last few frames on the compositing monitor for the animators, along with masking lines. How sweet it would be if the camera could do some of that work.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

frumpykvetchbot posted:

Years back I was helping a stop motion animation production create a practical camera setup based on a Nikon D3, going by production notes from Wes Anderson's "Fantastic Mr. Fox" set. We had a primitive arduino controlled rig for the camera to create controlled moves and rotations with simulated motion blur achieved with long exposures while the axes dial in the next frame, like a discount cargo cult impression of the Lucasfilm OG star wars "Dykstraflex" match move system.

The ONLY camera controls Nikon made available for automation was the shutter control which we operated from the Arduino in bulb mode. We had to physically fiddle with the camera buttons, menus and dials all the loving time.. Eventually we got a stepper motor setup to drive the focus ring. But the experience from that project made me really really want a scriptable camera where you could create a project-specific setup on it where for example we could save to different card or FTP folders the exposures for individual lighting layers in the shooting passes, set exposure internally as opposed to clumsy bulb timing, and maybe create overlay graphics like framing / masking lines on the HDMI output with frame numbers.

We used a big clumsy setup with a PC hosting the FTP server for the D3 to dump into, and a Processing app rendering an onion skin stack of the last few frames on the compositing monitor for the animators, along with masking lines. How sweet it would be if the camera could do some of that work.

The gphoto2 library under linux is about the closest I know of that gets anywhere near this. At least for Canon stuff it's fairly flexible.. obviously can't control zoom but everything else is available. The downside is Canon is kind of dumb in that if you trigger the shutter over usb you can't issue any new commands until the buffer is cleared and this takes 1-2 seconds, so I worked around it by hooking a remote shutter up to a raspberry pi's gpio pins and saving exposure settings for the usb connection. But the upside to the usb connection is you can dump the buffer straight to your calling program and "do stuff" with it almost immediately.

I've used this to sequence eclipse photo sequences at tenth of a second resolution and have been pretty pleased with it. I guess in that case I didn't have to mess with focus much so I can't say how well that works, maybe I should test that sometime.

JamesieAB
Nov 5, 2005
Would it be all that difficult for OM systems to build a street/gp camera based on the tg7?

I'm thinking about a 24/25 megapixel M43 stabilised sensor and either a 28/35mm f2 prime or a double focal length (28-56/35-70) zoom.

The body would need to be thicker but im not sure it would need to be wider to accomodate this setup.

If they could get the price lower than the Ricoh GR3 for the prime option or the same for the zoom it could be a winner.

Talking about the GR3, is the HDF version the one Ricoh designers were refering too earlier this year or is there likely to be a GR4 soon as was rumored?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Father O'Blivion
Jul 2, 2004
Get up on your feet and do the Funky Alfonzo
A modernized Nikon P340 with a 1" sensor.