Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

I talked about it in the horror thread but I haven't stopped thinking about the disembowelment rendered in plush a lot since I saw it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
I get the impression that the first thirty minutes were created as a proof-of-concept, pilot for a youtube series, or something like that.

At pretty much exactly that half-hour mark, there’s a very clear demarcation: you get opening credits, there’s an entirely new story that kicks in, and there’s a uptick in the overall quality. Cinematography, effects work, etc. - they all get noticeably better, looking more like the product of stylistic choices than budgetary limitations.

My guess is that, since the 30-minute short does have a degree of plot relevance, they just lumped it in with the actual film.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

flashy_mcflash posted:

I talked about it in the horror thread but I haven't stopped thinking about the disembowelment rendered in plush a lot since I saw it.

So good

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
fursuit beaver Clarence Darrow is perhaps as absurd a character as could be imagined

Captain Jesus
Feb 26, 2009

What's wrong with you? You don't even have your beer goggles on!!
What this movie reminded me of the most in terms of style was probably Forbidden Zone. I was on board from the opening sequence. After that though, the first third of the movie felt almost tedious but then the movie kept building up on the progressively introduced elements to an insane and ultimately rewarding conclusion.

Among all the crazyness the trap line handover scene was surprisingly melodramatic.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

I get the impression that the first thirty minutes were created as a proof-of-concept, pilot for a youtube series, or something like that.

I don't think this is the case. The filmmakers have been on quite a few podcasts talking about the production and I'd say the disconnect is doing start-stop production on no budget during the pandemic.

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

At pretty much exactly that half-hour mark, there’s a very clear demarcation: you get opening credits, there’s an entirely new story that kicks in, and there’s a uptick in the overall quality. Cinematography, effects work, etc. - they all get noticeably better, looking more like the product of stylistic choices than budgetary limitations.

My guess is that, since the 30-minute short does have a degree of plot relevance, they just lumped it in with the actual film.

Definitely. There's a few scenes of fighting the beavers early on, then they mostly disappear until much later. The two small fights against them seemed like part of a short they were able to use to get more fundraising with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Nah. The proof-of-concept pilot was the last 20 minutes of Ryland Brickson Cole Tews previous film "Lake Michigan Monster", where Ryland as a captain fights a sea witch underwater. Whole sequence is BW and is the exact kind of cartoon logic green screen shenanigans this movie relishes in. Like Flashy mentioned, they've been pretty open in interviews that was the case, but it's also pretty obvious watching the two flicks. Trailer has buncha shots from that: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xz6JggR66L4

Recall hearing they only had six beaver costume total, so not sure you can read into them disappearing for the middle chunk, particularly given there's other animal mascot suits in those bits anyway.

Captain Jesus posted:

What this movie reminded me of the most in terms of style was probably Forbidden Zone.

Realized recently this film is way more Hellzapoppin' than Buster Keaton, unrelenting gags. Forbidden Zone is stylistically pretty apt too. Shame Oingo Boingo didn't make more flicks.