Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice
What might be wonky about the shield could be two things:
Shields can overheat like melee and energy weapons, so holding it too long can cause it to break, kind of like a souls guard
More importantly, big attacks, especially with the left arm will cause you to lose your shield due to animation. Possibly things like bazookas will do this, but anything melee will absolutely drop your shield.

And remember, hard lock means you never drop your lock unless you hit the stick

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Hey yo, don't spoil nat with weapons and gear he hasn't unlocked yet

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
I'm very very aware of the rightstick lock thing. Hopefully you'll see that in the next episode which is the first after the initial session we did.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Crazy Achmed posted:

the sword is just so brutally effective against large enemies that it makes it really worthwhile to take the risk of eating a rocket to the face as you close distance.

Swords are nice but on my own playthrough I much preferred to send as much ordnance downrange as possible.

Nat20's early run of the mission weirded me out just by how much he wasn't pressing the missile button. If your missiles are off cooldown, use them. Gun full of ammo? Shoot that gun. Repeat for every trigger (assuming you're at a usable range).

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

bewilderment posted:

Swords are nice but on my own playthrough I much preferred to send as much ordnance downrange as possible.

Nat20's early run of the mission weirded me out just by how much he wasn't pressing the missile button. If your missiles are off cooldown, use them. Gun full of ammo? Shoot that gun. Repeat for every trigger (assuming you're at a usable range).

It's weird, but remember he has literally never played an armored core game before, it takes time to develop the muscle memory.

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Yeah, and it actually works in his favour sometimes because the mechanics in this one are somewhat different from older AC titles. I need to constantly remind myself that emptying my energy gauge isn't instant death anymore and don't spend as much time in the air as I should. My first try versus the helicopter ended in failure because I was skating around on the ground the whole time and all the splash damage wore me down. Whereas Nat is instinctively choosing the correct option of SWORD TO THE FACE.

Merrygate
Aug 10, 2019

You take these risky jobs too, huh?
Armored Core LP thread, and I want to infodump, but I hesitate because not only do I not want to overload someone new to the series, but also because I dropped out of competitive play right around the turn of the year, so I'm woefully out of date with the latest updates to the game and don't have a good feel on how the metagame is shaking out on that side...which is where you'd hear the most complaints about part viability in general. The entire single-player game can be completed with nothing but your fists, a solid frame, and a whole lot of personal skill, so to echo the general sentiment; use whatever seems fun and take the stuff into the test lab and experiment. If a build clicks for you, it's good. The test lab is superb in that it allows you to modify your build on-the-fly without having to load through several screens, so it's great for trying out new things quickly.

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice

Natural 20 posted:

I'm very very aware of the rightstick lock thing. Hopefully you'll see that in the next episode which is the first after the initial session we did.

Apologies for all the backseating, many in the community are used to people going full DSP on that mechanic in particular, so we very much overcorrect when we see someone not using it. Personally I also missed that the last episode was still your first recording session before posting, sorry about that.

You are doing extremely well so far, probably better than I was doing at this point.

Something neat you can do in certain missions: in the results screen, if there are any bonuses or deductions to your pay you can hit a button to open up a list of the bonuses/deductions, to see how much you got for reason A vs reason B (generally killing one type of thing vs another)

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

AtomikKrab posted:

It's weird, but remember he has literally never played an armored core game before, it takes time to develop the muscle memory.

Literally neither had I!
OK, that's a lie, I played like... 20 minutes of 4 Answer over a decade ago, certainly no muscle memory there.

It was just as simple for me to see "my missiles are locked onto the enemy, therefore I should immediately press the missile button".

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Get well soon, Tea!

And congratulations on the Arena wins, Nat!

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Pvp comes later, it waits until you have access to a decen set of parts before letting you go against people who can have basically ALL the parts.

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

I am so glad you got the boost kick upgrade, aside from being useful it's so drat visceral and fun to do. And it's effectively one more weapon you can pull out to keep smashing things while your others are reloading. One of the few complaints I have about this game, however, is that the animations are a bit underwhelming.

You can in fact equip two melee weapons, but both of them need to be on the left side and you can't have two of the same type. You can in fact do some absurd chain combos this way, switching to a second blade while the first one is on cooldown.
You can also do some really cool stuff like equipping two guns to quickly stun a target and then once they stagger, swap out to the blade and carve them up. Try this out with the handguns that G5 was using, which stagger targets really quickly and are light enough to let you go even faster.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
The Ranjetsu burst rifle is a good choice. Dual-wielding two of those got me through my first run. I can't stand the bazookas and other large guns. The way it stops you cold to fire just feels wrong to me. I look forward to seeing how someone plays around that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

Hell yes, a fellow BML-G1/P20MLT-04 enjoyer. :hfive:

I always liked those missile launchers because they're lightweight with a fast lock and fast cycle, so even if your FCS is poorly suited for missiles, you can still get some good use out of them. They're not very punchy, but they're still good for the nice occasional jab to keep the stagger meter going, especially because they fire straight ahead so you don't have to worry about stuff being so close that your missiles can't turn hard enough to actually land, which is a concern with vertical or pincer missiles.

I used the bazooka a bunch too when I was early on. One of the big advantages of the bazooka over the rifle is that a bazooka doesn't really have an "effective range," due to the fact that it's explosive. So you don't get Ricochets with it, any hit's a good one. I did eventually switch off to shotguns, though, given that I usually tended to get in close enough to people to clothesline 'em, and the shotgun doesn't have the firing stance delay like the bazooka.