Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

Based on the 6 volume light novel series by Kuji Furumiya, Unnamed Memory is about a Prince named Oscar and a witch named Tinasha. Studio ENGI is doing the work on this. They haven't done a lot of work, but there most notable is definitely Uzaki-chan Wants to Hang Out!

Oscar has a curse placed on him by a witch that basically makes him the last member of his royal dynasty. He seeks the help of Tinasha, a witch in a tower who had previously helped his great grandfather decades ago to lift the curse.

The series is about a little romance, a little adventure and a whole lot of reminiscing and regret. If you liked Frieren, you will probably like this show.

Characters:

Tinasha
Voiced by Tanezaki Atsumi (Anya Forger, Frieren (they knew what they were doing))

Tinasha is a witch of unknown, yet probably ancient age who has spent several years alone in her tower. Adventurers have attempted to conquer her labyrinth but none have succeeded in decades.

Oscar Lyeth Increatos Loz Farsas
Voiced by Nakajima Yoshiki (In nothing you ever heard of)

The main male protagonist, cursed to never have children. He climbs Tinashas tower in hopes of finding a cure.

Episodes 1 and 2 are currently out on Crunchyroll for those who have it. Its nice to have some non-isekai fantasy starting to come out strong in 2024.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

Third episode is out:

There definitely feels like a drop in animation quality from the first two episodes. Lots of off model stuff and just flatness.

I am generally not a fan of mystery boxes, especially in a 13 episode series. I am hoping they explain Valt and Miralys quickly.

Second half of the episode was dark as hell.

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

I started watching this because of this thread. I don't really have much to add except to say that the VA for tinasha/anya/Frieren is great here too and that I'm not sure if the overarching plot is going to really land but I like the way the two mains bounce off each other a lot and that's enough, frankly.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
at least the male lead realizes that a curse which forces him to spend all his time flirting with a cute witch isn't bad.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
The series seems to be bouncing back and forth between disneyish fairy tale sensibilities (most of episode one; you'll note they even went out of their way to say that Tinasha didn't actually kill anybody) and this sort of very blunt horrible stuff. That's actually fine, but it would be nice if they had a bit more time for the transitions between the two - in episode three, we went pretty much right from "here's a vial of sperm from the man I almost killed" to a bit of emotional hand-holding and that can be jarring in a way that the creators might not have intended.

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

idonotlikepeas posted:

The series seems to be bouncing back and forth between disneyish fairy tale sensibilities (most of episode one; you'll note they even went out of their way to say that Tinasha didn't actually kill anybody) and this sort of very blunt horrible stuff. That's actually fine, but it would be nice if they had a bit more time for the transitions between the two - in episode three, we went pretty much right from "here's a vial of sperm from the man I almost killed" to a bit of emotional hand-holding and that can be jarring in a way that the creators might not have intended.

It feels like they know they arent getting a second season so they are going to compress all of the source material into 12 episodes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

Episode 4 was at lightning speed. They really are rushing whatever the story is supposed to be.

I continue to like the interaction between Tinasha and Oscar, I just wish there was a purpose.