Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
I've never sold anything on eBay before, but I would imagine it's pretty straightforward and usually low-risk. The items I'm looking to sell, however, often go for a substantial amount of money when they pop up, and I'm concerned about my protections from someone scamming me.

To be more specific, I have some World of Warcraft items that include one-time-use codes to redeem in-game cosmetics. My concern is that someone can purchase these, use the codes, then say there was a problem with the sale. The value for these items is that they are sealed and unused, so if they pulled something, I would be left with nothing.

I know I can purchase insurance for shipping, but that would only apply to any sort of damage to the product itself or if it gets lost. It wouldn't help to protect against someone making a claim that the item wasn't as described, or something along those lines.

So... what do I do? Does anybody have experience with selling items that would be prone to scams like this, or experienced what I'm describing? What is the best way for me to handle this so I don't get completely screwed? I've tried looking up information on this in the past and prior to making this thread, but the results only seem to confirm I'm right to be worried about this thing and I would be powerless to stop it, but I'm hoping maybe folks here have some more hopeful information to offer me.

I guess a separate-yet-related question would be if anyone can tell me about alternatives to using eBay that might offer better protection for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McGann
May 19, 2003

Get up you son of a bitch! 'Cause Mickey loves you!

I have very little to add except DO NOT USE PAYPAL.

From my experience and those I've heard second hand, they put the requirement to prove fraud DID NOT HAPPEN upon the seller, rather than the buyer to prove it did. I have to imagine there are sites that tailor to this specific type of sale which might be better suited as well (for both finding buyers and protection).

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

McGann posted:

I have to imagine there are sites that tailor to this specific type of sale which might be better suited as well (for both finding buyers and protection).

I'm sure, but I don't know anything about them at all or what to look into. I also worry that I might reach a smaller audience and not get anything near what I'm hoping.

But if anybody has more stuff to share about any of this, please do. I'm a complete newbie to all of this stuff and don't even really know where to begin looking or what is reputable/safe.

McGann
May 19, 2003

Jamesman posted:

I'm sure, but I don't know anything about them at all or what to look into. I also worry that I might reach a smaller audience and not get anything near what I'm hoping.

But if anybody has more stuff to share about any of this, please do. I'm a complete newbie to all of this stuff and don't even really know where to begin looking or what is reputable/safe.

A quick google and cross-check on reddit shows me that this appears to be a legit site: https://www.playerauctions.com/sell-wow-items/

The only complaints I see (again, quick check because I'm at work) showed people complaining about individual sellers, but nothing like its a scam site in general or anything.

https://www.reddit.com/r/PlayerAuctions/

YMMV - just a quick google and checking for obvious red flags

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
That only appears to be for digital items. The objects in question I'm wanting to sell are physical, with codes for digital items.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McGann
May 19, 2003

Jamesman posted:

That only appears to be for digital items. The objects in question I'm wanting to sell are physical, with codes for digital items.

Oh well, worth a shot. To be fair it took me about 30 seconds of Googling, so I imagine you should be able to find something a little more applicable.

Though if I misunderstood and they are actually physical items, I feel like any site is going to work fine for you as long as you make sure to use a payment processor that doesn't overwhelmingly benefit the buyer at expense of seller. Ie PayPal.

Venmo or something that is much harder for people too charge back would be my suggestion. If it is within their terms of service, I would be using eBay and avoiding PayPal (I assume that's possible, haven't used ebay for 15 years)
I'm already this invested, I'll see if I can put a little more time in on this later today and let you know what I find. Now I'm sort of curious.