Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tabasco_hijikata
Apr 12, 2024

Can you weaklings handle tabasco?

Made from tabasco peppers, vinegar and salt.

Tabasco products are sold in more than 195 countries and territories, and packaged in 36 languages and dialects.
Looked at all 9 pages and didn't see a multi-page chinese / asian food takeout thread.

what you ordering and what is your go to?

Where the Beijing Beef gang at

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat
always the chowmein, either broccoli beef w/ sweetfire chicken, or beijing beef w/ mushroom chicken to get one sweet and one savory.

for our local actually good takeout place my standard is their chicken fried rice with a scoop of S&B and lots of sriracha tossed in once it gets home, but they also have a real drat good egg foo young.

best egg foo young was the place i worked at through high school which had a very thick, rich gravy more akin to american beef stew gravy than the gingery soy sauce gravy most places use, which tasted incredible when mixed with chili oil and drowning the eggs.

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

I got one local place that has Sichuan firecracker chicken and it is good as hell.

If it's panda I'm going chow mein, honey walnut shrimp, and whatever I'm feeling at the time (orange chicken/bejing BEEF/almond chicken if they have it)

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

Fartington Butts posted:

If it's panda I'm going chow mein

I don't know what it is about that oily mess of noodles at Panda, but it punches well above its weight. I don't know if I can truthfully say it's the "best" chow mien I've had, but it might be my favorite.

Nikumatic posted:

always the chowmein, either broccoli beef w/ sweetfire chicken, or beijing beef w/ mushroom chicken to get one sweet and one savory.

The sweet stuff at panda is way too sweet for me. I still get the orange chicken and I don't really know why (I guess because it's like their signature dish in my head), but you're right you gotta get the other one as something savory to help balance it out. Getting the sweet, savory, oily trio going with 2 entrees and the chow mien is a good move.

Nikumatic posted:

for our local actually good takeout place my standard is their chicken fried rice

tabasco_hijikata posted:

My go-to for a regular sit down or take out joint is Mongolian Beef. It's like my gold standard I judge every place by. Fried rice to a lesser extent, because it's more of a side to me, but it's amazing how great it can be at some places, and horrible at others, even at places that are otherwise fairly similar.

luv2shit
May 15, 2023
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!
i liek to mix my chinese up. at panda i usually get the broccoli beef for the fiber. prefer the chow mein over the fired rice but sometimes i ge tthe rice. usually pay upchrage for honey walnut shrimp. if im feeling fat i will get the teriyaki chicken instead.

chinese buffets are my kryptonite. i can get really messy at a decent chinese buffet. crab rangoons :swoon:

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

The local cheap takeout places are all kinda bad despite having good portion sizes, so when I get Chinese, I get it from the somewhat-upscale restaurant down the street.

I still just get Orange Chicken mind you but it’s drat good Orange Chicken

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

I get the steam table at the asian grocery sometimes. Dim sum I'll get some siu mai or the shrimp eggplant or chives dumplings. Noodles I usually get beef chow fun or singapore curry noodles. They usually have a combo box special, I think its 14 bucks for noodles/rice, 2 meat items, and veggies.

luv2shit
May 15, 2023
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!

Cross-Section posted:

The local cheap takeout places are all kinda bad despite having good portion sizes, so when I get Chinese, I get it from the somewhat-upscale restaurant down the street.

I still just get Orange Chicken mind you but it’s drat good Orange Chicken

exact same. all the not-panda takeoutplaces are total poo poo so i get it fromm the nicer place and always get orange chicken n fried rice with CRAB RANGOONS

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

luv2shit posted:

chinese buffets are my kryptonite. i can get really messy at a decent chinese buffet. crab rangoons :swoon:

All you can eat Chinese buffet's aren't really of a thing out here, or at least I can't think of any near me. Maybe they exist somewhere, and I just don't know.

If there was one with free for all crab rangoons / crab angels / crab puffs at a reasonable price, I would probably cause myself damage eating too many of those, lol. Probably good that they are more like a rare treat for me, but if I'm at a place that has them, it's hard not to get some.

Not really a buffet, but there's the rare occasional "load a bowl with what you want, pay by the weight, then we fry it up in a big wok" Mongolian bbq type places here, but that's not the same. Not bad, just not the same.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

our nearest Chinese place is cheap as hell and actually good. a quart of wonton soup is $4.75, and 10 crab rangoons are $7. It rocks

If I have to go to panda then I only get the string bean chicken, the best option

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

Broccoli beef at panda is actually BROCCOLI beef

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

this is all about takeout places but yeah we have a little dim sum place attached to the jusgo that opened here a while ago that does carryout (which is no big change/loss since there are like four tables in their tiny little shop so you're not missing out on steam cart service or anything) and once every month or two we'll get a big order of dumplings and buns and a plate of dry fried beef chow fun and just go to town.

we live like twenty minutes out from our chinatown and also literally down the road from like mini-chinatown where a lot of the most popular places have opened secondary locations so we are absolutely spoiled for choice. sometimes i want panda, sometimes americanized hunan, sometimes dim sum, sometimes authentic sichuan, just depends on the mood and i feel #blessed that i really can have it all. also our friday night date night every friday is at a great all you can eat hot pot place.

i would eat some form of chinese food for literally every meal if my partner would just let me.

luv2shit
May 15, 2023
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!

Fartington Butts posted:

Broccoli beef at panda is actually BROCCOLI beef

thats right. helps keep u regular

saladscooper
Jan 25, 2019

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019
there are very few decent takeout places near me. there's two pandas but one is in the student union at the university and the other is >15 minutes by car and gently caress that noise.

there -is- a takeout place by the local subaru dealership, and i -do- have to get an oil change this week or next week...

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
We had a ramen place near us that was great, I always got extra eggs to dump in too. There’s a pho place near us that I want to try just haven’t gotten around to it. I always get chicken if I can, the brisket seems too fatty everywhere I go but maybe everyone else likes that. Also if they have Thai iced tea I’ll get that every time

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

tabasco_hijikata posted:

Looked at all 9 pages and didn't see a multi-page chinese / asian food takeout thread.

Where the Beijing Beef gang at

Beijing beef and eggplant tofu. half chow mein and half fried rice. that's my go-to.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

Place I used to live had a Hong Kong Express in SoCal, loved that place. BBQ pork with teriyaki chicken or beef broccoli. Best part they had these fat greasy lo mien noodles that I’d slather with their sweet and sour….closest I’ve been to religious. Oh and it was $5 and they would fill the styrofoam container last full. Man I miss it.

----------------

Szyznyk
Mar 4, 2008

Panda Express needs to make the Shanghai Steak a permanent item. But I go orange chicken/Beijing beef/fried rice otherwise. And my local delivery place still has 8 dollar dinner combos and they’ll give you a shitload of boneless spare ribs, a pile of pork fried rice, and an egg roll. Probably the last real cheap meal around when even a kids meal at a regular restaurant is 10 bucks.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

Just had a katsu sando and fries from a place called Flavor Fusions. They also have specialty drinks but I opted for water today. Really good Japanese fast food, I love that place.

----------------

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Eggrolls have made a big comeback in our place now that air fryers are around, that leftover poo poo is like 90% back to life

----------------

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
I recently discovered a Chinese takeout place that makes drat food tofu & broccoli, it felt like I'd been looking for centuries :unsmith:

One of the reasons I hadn't discovered it is that there is a Japanese takeout place closer to where I live -- delicious (even the sushi), reasonably priced, and lemonade so sweet that I literally have to dilute it with water to drink it so a small ends up being more like a medium

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

SilvergunSuperman posted:

Eggrolls have made a big comeback in our place now that air fryers are around, that leftover poo poo is like 90% back to life

Egg rolls might be my #1 favorite food item and yeah the air fryer has been huge for that

Takeout wise I usually go for General Tso's or sesame chicken, or laziji (Sichuan chicken with Chilis, name varies heavily on English menus) if it's a Sichuan place

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

the chinese restaurant i worked at as a teen was family owned, and their parents also owned a different restaurant, and the parents retired and shut down but when they closed they still had a stock full of hand-made from-scratch egg rolls left over so they brought them to our restaurant and fried them all up and just gave sackfulls to the staff and they were the best loving egg rolls i have ever had in my life and i will never have them again

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

Jack in the Box egg rolls are legit

----------------

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

a sexual elk posted:

Jack in the Box egg rolls are legit

not an empty quote

----------------

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
My favorite takeout entree is aromatic chicken but it doesn't seem to exist outside of Southern CA. I was starting to think for a while that I imagined it because like if you just google the words "aromatic chicken", you won't find it, at best you'll get recommendations for see yao gai, which is pretty drat good especially from a Cantonese sit down place, but is something else, it's more sweet and peppery (but not as sweet as General Tso's). I finally just looked at the menu of a place I knew for sure I had it at before I moved and is still open and it's still on the menu. Then I checked and it was all over both takeout and western-style-sit-down places (sometimes with see yao gai also on the menu) in Southern California, it's even served at Panda Inn, the parent of Panda Express.

My Panda Express order is Orange/Teriyaki and steamed rice. It's extremely for babies but it tastes good and fills me up and I don't get hungry fast after, so it's a good pre-game meal if I have a long night of TTRPGs to play.

:sss: :tbear: Oel ngati kameie Los Ingobernables de Onsite BYOB
Seared tuna steak, served with ponzu sauce and wasabi.

FrankeeFrankFrank on 07:55 May 03, 2015 posted:

sometimes i rub Fabreeze on my hands and now my hands are very dry.

FrankeeFrankFrank on 04:55 Apr 10, 2017 posted:

It was nice knowing you all. Sometimes.

I still believe in Second Winter. Put this in your sig if you also believe in that and that it is real and not fake like the others say.

luv2shit
May 15, 2023
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!
went to buffet yesterday and had 4 crab rangoons :thumbsup:

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
buffet ftw. First plate is always 2x egg roll 2x chicken on a stick 1x portion of most enticing looking glistening chicken to get the lay of the land. maybe a couple sesame balls

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

gently caress, the chinese buffet i used to frequent that shut down during the pandemic had such goddamn good potstickers. i basically treated it as an all you can eat dumpling place where i could get some other stuff if i felt like it too.

Szyznyk
Mar 4, 2008

Went off the script and got orange chicken/sesame chicken and chow mein. It was good but I missed my mediocre fried rice.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Nikumatic posted:

gently caress, the chinese buffet i used to frequent that shut down during the pandemic had such goddamn good potstickers. i basically treated it as an all you can eat dumpling place where i could get some other stuff if i felt like it too.

I've always been underwhelmed by dumplings. They're a lot more enjoyable to say than ingest.

----------------

luv2shit
May 15, 2023
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!

I've always been underwhelmed by dumplings. They're a lot more enjoyable to say than ingest.

nope. potstickers ftw

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves

my local store has takeout and I always get the salt/pepper fish, general tso's, and double fried rice (sorry chow mein lovers), I live like a block away from chinatown so it's been a goldmine for asian food. the only thing it doesn't have is buffets - I need to drive to the burbs for that

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

no, dumplings are great. I guess at a buffet they can be hit or miss but dumplings are a fantastic food in general

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

halokiller posted:

salt/pepper fish

fuckin pro move.

imo dumplings are a perfect food. a lot of takeout places just uses pretty bog standard frozen dumplings you can buy by the bagful yourself (but in my opinion even those are plenty delicious) but there are so many different kinds of doughs and fillings that it's hard to imagine none of 'em hitting. a good sauce (black vinegar+chili oil is a great easy one) can also elevate a bad dumpling and complement a good dumpling. there's a reason basically every culture has some kind of dumpling or a variation thereof and it's because dumplings rule.

On The Internet
Jun 27, 2023

Singapore Mei Fun is my barometer meal at take-out joints for how good they are.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

On The Internet posted:

Singapore Mei Fun is my barometer meal at take-out joints for how good they are.

I like it when they go heavy on the curry seasoning

On The Internet
Jun 27, 2023

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

I like it when they go heavy on the curry seasoning

Hell yes. It's the only way!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

meatloaf and headcheese banh mi with extra veggies is so dang good and refreshing. shrimp and pork spring rolls on the side of course. and a thai tea to wash it down!

----------------