Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
i used to name my computers after philosophers and their disks after important works by those philosophers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

Qtotonibudinibudet posted:

why does everyone have to use the typical american nerd poo poo. diversify yourselves. did you take zero classes on foreign literature/cinema/music in uni? oh right, you're most CS majors, so no, you didn't :negative:

that's not what this thread is about. if you want to start a thread about naming software after tolstoy characters or kpop groups or w/e then have at it

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.

why does everyone have to use the typical american nerd poo poo. diversify yourselves. did you take zero classes on foreign literature/cinema/music in uni? oh right, you're most CS majors, so no, you didn't :negative:

lotr isn't american btw, and neither is most anime.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

George posted:

likewise for greek and roman mythology apparently?!?! wtf

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

rotor posted:

naming my new object relation mapper package aragorm

i feel like this post didnt get enough love tho

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.

rotor posted:

i feel like this post didnt get enough love tho

gotta keep it in the rotor appreciation thread

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

George posted:

gotta keep it in the rotor appreciation thread

every thread is the rotor appreciation thread

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Share Bear posted:

mangas y dobstep por favor

no but for real i have put in a request at work that we use like not pop culture stuff but either literal names or something that has an allegory in a positive way (something that'd intentionally crash a service with a ddos may be king midas or "local-service-ddos-crasher" for example)

or stuff with a logical convention (us-east-rack2-row3)

the CNCF "you can have a short fun name but you also need an standard official simple descriptive name" rule works well imo. envoy is "envoy" but also " Cloud-native high-performance edge/middle/service proxy"

https://www.cncf.io/projects/envoy/

George posted:

rotor posted:

likewise for greek and roman mythology apparently?!?! wtf

i mean yes but if you lay out several tables with

- "software widgets named after greco/roman mythology things"
- "software widgets named after lotr poo poo"
- "software widgets named after instruments in a gamelan ensemble"
- "software widgets named after weeb nonsense"
- "software widgets named after <whatever the gently caress shows up in ready player one>"
- "software widgets named after sufi saints"
- "software widgets named after some garbage from the epic of manas"
- "software widgets named after urodela amphibians"

and ask people to rank them on a scale of "how likely was this nomenclature designed by an american software engineer circa 2020", are you really gonna tell me you're not gonna get somewhat consistent results?

Roosevelt posted:

that's not what this thread is about. if you want to start a thread about naming software after tolstoy characters or kpop groups or w/e then have at it

fin de siècle literary poo poo is so gen x american russianist maaaaaaan cmon we're all either (post)soviet or medievalist bullshit now

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

the CNCF "you can have a short fun name but you also need an standard official simple descriptive name" rule works well imo. envoy is "envoy" but also " Cloud-native high-performance edge/middle/service proxy"

https://www.cncf.io/projects/envoy/

oh hell yeah i didnt know about this

thisll help me make this argument more convincingly, thanks

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

tbf quite a lot of people enjoy japanese nerd poo poo despite its strong pedophile vibes

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

rotor posted:

dude is literally married to the river, do i have to draw you fuckos a goddamn diagram?? jesus

blaming laziness on a ‘high maintenance’ wife seems on brand

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

rotor posted:

dude is literally married to the river, do i have to draw you fuckos a goddamn diagram?? jesus

i never read any of that nerd poo poo

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

git apologist posted:

tbf quite a lot of people enjoy japanese nerd poo poo despite its strong pedophile vibes

weird post

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

git apologist posted:

:dafuq:

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

we had 2 tools in my old department called skittles and m&ms and apparently they were named after some kind of joke

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

AnimeIsTrash posted:

apparently they were named after some kind of joke

its u

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

username/post combo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

yes we did because american universities forced us to