Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Massive
Apr 8, 2004

Vander posted:

I'll be going into law school, so I need to know: Anyone know about the law schools in the bay area?

The Bay Area houses two very very good schools; UC Berkeley and Stanford. There's also Hastings right smack dab in the middle of SF (coincidently in the worst neighborhood, The Tenderloin.) And there's UCSF, but I don't know if they have a law program.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SousaphoneColossus
Feb 16, 2004

There are a million reasons to ruin things.

Massive posted:

The Bay Area houses two very very good schools; UC Berkeley and Stanford. There's also Hastings right smack dab in the middle of SF (coincidently in the worst neighborhood, The Tenderloin.) And there's UCSF, but I don't know if they have a law program.
UCSF's just a medical school.

Blog Free or Die
Apr 30, 2005

FOR THE MOTHERLAND
If you need a cheap place to live near San Francisco and don't mind a half hour commute to downtown consider: Treasure Island!

I moved here almost a year ago from the East Bay, where I'd lived for 10 years or so. Anyway, TI used to be a military base, but now they're renting out housing units also. I'm paying 450 a month (plus about 50 for bus fares), but the bus to downtown runs every 15 minutes and there's no bridge fee.

Plus it's loving Treasure Island. It's great to watch people double take when you tell them where you live :pirate:

I can't really answer any questions about anywhere else in the bay, but I'll be happy to field any TI questions if it's alright with the OP.

SousaphoneColossus
Feb 16, 2004

Drapabee posted:

I can't really answer any questions about anywhere else in the bay, but I'll be happy to field any TI questions if it's alright with the OP.
I don't see any reason why it would be a problem.
Why exactly is living on the island so cheap? Can you give us more info about your housing unit?

Capitán Winky
Sep 6, 2003
I shit on the common man

Massive posted:

USF has a good law school.

Capitán Winky
Sep 6, 2003
I shit on the common man

UnclePlasticBitch posted:

Why exactly is living on the island so cheap? Can you give us more info about your housing unit?

The presidio is prime real estate if you ask me. Gorgeous views, park like setting, plus they cover your utilities. I almost moved there, but my roomies don't have cars so they vetoed that.

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

Treasure Island is so cheap because a) as already mentioned, it used to be a naval base, and b) if I recall correctly it has the stigma of just being a giant landfill. No big deal, though. A roof is a roof.

Unled
May 24, 2001

Drapabee posted:

If you need a cheap place to live near San Francisco and don't mind a half hour commute to downtown consider: Treasure Island!

I moved here almost a year ago from the East Bay, where I'd lived for 10 years or so. Anyway, TI used to be a military base, but now they're renting out housing units also. I'm paying 450 a month (plus about 50 for bus fares), but the bus to downtown runs every 15 minutes and there's no bridge fee.

Plus it's loving Treasure Island. It's great to watch people double take when you tell them where you live :pirate:

Hey TI buddy! I loving love it out here on the Island. It's quiet for the most part, the buses run pretty regularly (although I have waited almost an hour for the bus late at night) and utilities are included with rent. So I don't have to pay a electricity bill or gas or water or any of that stuff.
Plus there's an awsome path around the west side of the island that is great for jogging.

GrumpyDoctor posted:

Treasure Island is so cheap because a) as already mentioned, it used to be a naval base, and b) if I recall correctly it has the stigma of just being a giant landfill. No big deal, though. A roof is a roof.

It's not really a landfill. Like they don't dump trash out here or anything. It's man made.

quote:

Workers in 1936 began by assembling an octagonal ring of stones and dredging out the center. With additional mud, silt, and gravel imported from the Sacramento Delta and beyond, enough loosely-packed soil was gradually piled up to rise thiry feet above sea level.

There is some pollution as a result of it being a former military base, most of the pollution coming from diesel and oil penetrating the soil from leaking tanks, the areas occupied by people are all cleaned up and nice though. But yea, you're still not supposed to grow anything directly from the soil. The Villages will supply pots and soil for you in you have to have a garden.

Also they warn you that in the event of a large earthquake the Island could become liquified and sink into the bay.

Unled fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Nov 16, 2005

Blog Free or Die
Apr 30, 2005

FOR THE MOTHERLAND
TI GOONS

I think part of the reason rent's so cheap is that no one seems to know people live here. Whenever I tell people where I live the first thing they say (well, after accusations of lying) is "I thought people didn't live there." or something along those lines. That's not all of it, though...

There's a lot of people here for the cheap housing, but there's also some Walden Houses, which are apparantly halfway houses for female convicts. Also lots of poor black people who like loud loud music late late at night. I don't really mind since I stay up late anyway, and they've been pretty quiet lately now that I think about it. Sometimes there are concerts or things, which can get noisy also.

Anyway my room's pretty small, 10' by 10' or so, but the unit is great. They're these...long blocks of houses, how do you call them. Anyway each one is split up into about 6 or so houses, each house having 3 bedrooms and 2.5 baths. I don't know about the other places, but we've got a nice stove/oven, washer/dryer, and best of all internets!

Yes, sadly, not all of TI is connected. I think it's mainly up to the leaseholder to work that out, but I have a friend on the island whose got nuttin'. My place has Comcast broadband, which seems to have connection problems due to the island occaisionally, but still it's only 8$ split four ways. I got the small bedroom, leaseholder the master, someone else the medium bedroom and the living room is also occupied. I'm pretty sure they pay more than me, so total rent is probably above $2000.

I'm not sure about TI sinking into the bay. There would definitely be ground failure which is no fun for anyone, but I doubt it'll go Atlantis unless we get some 9.0 monster. What would probably in a more "normal" earthquake is they close down the bridge and maroon us for a few days.

Oh yeah some pics.

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y186/Drapabee/TI/TI.jpg - TI from bridge
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y186/Drapabee/TI/SFpan.jpg - SF from TI

And before I forget Fleet Week was loving awesome. Blue Angels buzzed the island over and over and the ships were everywhere it was great.

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y186/Drapabee/fivedown.jpg - :911:
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y186/Drapabee/TI/mystreet.jpg - Typical neighborhood.

Blog Free or Die fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Nov 16, 2005

Massive
Apr 8, 2004
Hey guys. Do any of you read some sort of website/blog that updates on what the latest neat things there are to do in the Bay Area? The closest i've seen so far is sf.metblogs.com - but I need more!

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Wow I didn't know there were so many TI goons.

I was just out there yesterday with everyone from my work, we were taking ou company Xmas photo with the view of downtown SF in the background (we stood right against that brick wall in the second pic the above poster has). My boss bought us lunch at a little cafe in front of the base and afterwards he said he wanted to drive aroudn and look at the condos/houses and so we did. A lot of the place seemed kind of empty, though the hosues and condos that were inhabited looked decent enough. But what is there to do out there? Other than the one little sandwhich shop where we ate lunch I didn't see any retail or restaurants or even so much as a conveneince store or laundromat.

Blog Free or Die
Apr 30, 2005

FOR THE MOTHERLAND
There's a convenience store with an ATM, but that's about it.

Inverse Icarus
Dec 4, 2003

I run SyncRPG, and produce original, digital content for the Pathfinder RPG, designed from the ground up to be played online.
I just got a job offer in San Jose, CA. Later tonight I'll sift through this thread for information. I'm going to thank you ahead of time, though, because I'm such a great guy.

Thanks! I'll be sure to post any questions I have after reading this thread.

Inverse Icarus fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Feb 10, 2006

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

Unled posted:

It's not really a landfill. Like they don't dump trash out here or anything. It's man made.

I stand corrected. Although the "possibly sinking into the Bay" bit is worrisome, because eventually, there will be a huge crazy monster earthquake, the question is just when.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -

Drapabee posted:

Anyone out there need a roommate? I'm stuck in a hotel in Marin county right now. :( (stupid cheap-rear end exec. producers)

Blog Free or Die
Apr 30, 2005

FOR THE MOTHERLAND
Someone I know just moved off the island, but he moved because he had no internets so I'm not sure you'd want his place.

Plus he said the leaseholder was a jerk.

Anyway, the best place to look for TI vacancies is probably Craigslist.

I've seen a fair amount of moving vans during my stay here so it's not like no one ever moves out.

calvran
Mar 4, 2004
I'm moving to the area around January 1st, and I'm going to be going to CSU East Bay. Where should I look for housing? I've heard that Hayward isn't a good area for skinny white boys like myself.

kliksf
Jan 1, 2003

UCSF's just a medical school.

With three Nobel prize winners in medicine among its faculty.

freehat
Dec 15, 2004

Contact Celebration
Where are the good malls up here? Since I'm from Orange County, malls are far more familiar to me than wandering about in Union Square.

Astronomy Domine
Dec 20, 2004

A fight between the blue you once knew

freehat posted:

Where are the good malls up here? Since I'm from Orange County, malls are far more familiar to me than wandering about in Union Square.

Maybe it's time to graduate from mall mentality and check out what the City really has to offer? Retail districts in San Francisco are legendary. People come from all over the world to shop at them.

That said, the San Francisco Shopping Center above Powell station is very mall-like (I think it's part of a mall chain). Then there's Stonestown way out in the Sunset. That's probably more of the generic mall experience you're looking for. But seriously though, don't be afraid to take to the streets instead. You'll see more interesting things and have more interesting experiences.

freehat
Dec 15, 2004

Contact Celebration

Astronomy Domine posted:

Maybe it's time to graduate from mall mentality and check out what the City really has to offer? Retail districts in San Francisco are legendary. People come from all over the world to shop at them.

That said, the San Francisco Shopping Center above Powell station is very mall-like (I think it's part of a mall chain). Then there's Stonestown way out in the Sunset. That's probably more of the generic mall experience you're looking for. But seriously though, don't be afraid to take to the streets instead. You'll see more interesting things and have more interesting experiences.

I've already been through the Powell area as well as that entire region around Union Square, and while it's nice, I wouldn't mind looking through other places. I don't have anything specific I'm looking for, just another place to consider when I need something generic to buy, like a gift or a shirt or something.

Capitán Winky
Sep 6, 2003
I shit on the common man

freehat posted:

I've already been through the Powell area as well as that entire region around Union Square, and while it's nice, I wouldn't mind looking through other places. I don't have anything specific I'm looking for, just another place to consider when I need something generic to buy, like a gift or a shirt or something.

Go back to where you came from. :) San Francisco has world class shopping. Union has awesome shops, Fillmore has awesome shops, Union square is amazing. What more do you need? Why would you want to hit up a Westfield shopping center in a city with so many cool shops? Who wants a lovely gift from Spencers when you can get something thats actually worth keeping?

Jibba Jabba
Aug 27, 2003

FUTURE
DEAD
PERSON

Capitán Winky posted:

Go back to where you came from. :) San Francisco has world class shopping. Union has awesome shops, Fillmore has awesome shops, Union square is amazing. What more do you need? Why would you want to hit up a Westfield shopping center in a city with so many cool shops? Who wants a lovely gift from Spencers when you can get something thats actually worth keeping?

I'd also recommend Haight St for good shopping: lots of good (if overpriced) clothing shops and thrift stores, head shops galore, and some other funky places. Just avoid the obviously touristy places (the ones that sell Haight-Ashbury t-shirts).

I particularly like:
-Wasteland: thrift shop with fun mannequin displays in front; expensive, but better selection than average
-Villains: really pricey hipster shop; I got my favorite pair of shoes there
-Anubis: magazine shop/tatoo parlor; carries super-obscure titles
-Kid Robot: rare action figures and dolls

Jibba Jabba fucked around with this message at 08:02 on Nov 22, 2005

freehat
Dec 15, 2004

Contact Celebration

Capitán Winky posted:

Thanks for the useful advice!

Jibba Jabba posted:

I'd also recommend Haight St for good shopping: lots of good (if overpriced) clothing shops and thrift stores, head shops galore, and some other funky shops. Just avoid the obviously touristy places (the ones that sell Haight-Ashbury t-shirts).

I particularly like:
-Wasteland: thrift shop with fun mannequin displays in front; expensive, but better selection than average
-Villians: really pricey hipster shop; I got my favorite pair of shoes there
-Anubis: magazine shop/tatoo parlor

Now, I had forgotten all about Haight. I'll be sure to head over there soon.

Ignavus
Oct 28, 2005

quote:

I'm moving to the area around January 1st, and I'm going to be going to CSU East Bay. Where should I look for housing? I've heard that Hayward isn't a good area for skinny white boys like myself.

It depends on which part of Hayward you live in. Try to move to the part near Union City, not the part near Castro Valley. In other words, South Hayward. Stay away from A street, it is an awful slum. There are people selling narcotics in front of a Mexican butcher shop 24/7. There's also lots of gun activity.

Edit: By the way, are you going to Cal State Hayward? It's this brooding, looming square "tower" on top of one of the highest hills in Hayward. You can see it from all parts of Hayward and most of Union City.

SousaphoneColossus
Feb 16, 2004

Ignavus posted:

Edit: By the way, are you going to Cal State Hayward? It's this brooding, looming square "tower" on top of one of the highest hills in Hayward. You can see it from all parts of Hayward and most of Union City.
Aren't CSU Hayward and CSU East Bay the same thing?

Ignavus
Oct 28, 2005

quote:

I have no idea I ain't go to college :banjo:

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

freehat posted:

Go to Chinatown, there are shitloads of stores there that sell nothing but gifts and shirts and stuff like that. Just walk straight up Grant and you'll know when you get there, there's more little tourist gift shops then you'll know what to do with.

There are a bunch of "random stuff" shops in the Mission too, not really with tourist stuff, more a lot of Mexican Catholic paraphenalia, assorted clothes and luggage, and a tone of very strange toys and animated lampshades from who knows where. We might not have the San Francisco tourist shirts or models of the Golden Gate bridge, but if you want a giant, glowing, psychelic portrait of Jesus that turns into a portrait of Mary when you move to the side, we can hook you up.

mxpayn1
Jun 9, 2004

yes

Kobalt
Mar 19, 2003

Earwicker posted:

There are a bunch of "random stuff" shops in the Mission too, not really with tourist stuff, more a lot of Mexican Catholic paraphenalia, assorted clothes and luggage, and a tone of very strange toys and animated lampshades from who knows where. We might not have the San Francisco tourist shirts or models of the Golden Gate bridge, but if you want a giant, glowing, psychelic portrait of Jesus that turns into a portrait of Mary when you move to the side, we can hook you up.

Wow. That would go excellent with my glow in the dark green virgin Mary night light. She kinda looks like Yoda at first.

freehat
Dec 15, 2004

Contact Celebration

Earwicker posted:

giant, glowing, psychelic portrait of Jesus that turns into a portrait of Mary when you move to the side

now why wasnt i informed of this earlier youve wasted precious jesus time you heathen

Astronomy Domine
Dec 20, 2004

A fight between the blue you once knew

freehat posted:

http://sfgate.com/traveler/guide/shopping/

TheLizard
Oct 27, 2004

I am the Lizard Queen!
I'm going to be in town this weekend. I looked through the last 8 pages and saw a lot of suggestions for bars/clubs but not exactly what I'm looking for.

What are some good live music venues? I'd love to check out a local band on Saturday night instead of going to some get-slutified-and-pay-$15-for-your-drinks place. I'd make a terrible slut anyways.

I'm not looking for DJs, dance clubs, etc. It doesn't have to serve food or even decent booze. Hell, I don't even care if it has tables. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

While googling I found Cafe Du Nord ..... any opinions?

TheLizard fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Nov 23, 2005

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Cafe du Nord is a nice enough place and they usually have someone good playing.

Bottom of the Hill over in Portrero usually has good local bands, tending towards the experimental side of things sometimes. It's a bit small given its local popularity so you usually have to deal with a thick crowd even for relatively unknown bands, but its still a fun place.

12 Galaxies in the Mission is a nice bar/club that has local bands all the time.

The Mezzanine which is in SoMa/Downtown functions as some kind of gay dance club on some nights, but on other nights they have really good bands playing. I've seen Calla and m83 there and it's a really cool place to see a show.

My favorite venue in the city is one of the larger ones and less likely to have local music - it's Bimbo's 365 up in North Beach. It's got a nice big, but low stage, a great bar, great decor, all in all it's just a nice classy place and I've always had a good time seeing shows there.

Hunterprime
Mar 22, 2005

Fixing networks and making games
For the person that Posted about the Navy base, The Mare Island in Valljo used to be a submarine repair and docking base. However with the large number of bases that closed in the 90's Mare island was one of them it just took a long time to full shut it down. The nearest naval base from the Bay Area i belive is San Diago.

For the people posting about Marin county, I Will be the first to admit Marin people are loving weird.

Marin County is filled with Lawyers and doctors, Which is part of the problem with marin since the last time I checked the Median price for homes here is $500,000 for homes that were oridngaly built in the 70's for $30,000.

A good Brewery to checkout in Marin is Marin Brewco in Larkspur Landing Or Moylans In novato( take the rowland ave exit heading towards Petaluma. Another place that can be alright is Ted's in San Anselmo.

Another thing I found is the Marin has a decently high concentration of goons. Im good friends with about 3 goons and I know of at least 5 or 6 other goons are around.

If any of the Marin or other bay area goons want do something in Marin, Just give me a PM.

Kiko
Nov 12, 2003

Ask me about dropping out and getting molested by Arnold Schwarzenegger!

Astronomy Domine posted:

Dim sum: Harbor Village, East Ocean

I'm not even from the Bay Area, but going to San Francisco almost once a month as a kid meant I'd meet up with my relatives at Harbor Village for dim sum. I guess I didn't appreciate it as much back then but when I had it recently holy loving God.

This is just awesome, and I can't say I've had any dim sum quite this caliber anywhere else. They get a lot of Hong Kong clientele from what I can tell, since it's a pretty upscale place. Expensive for dimsum, but compared to other types of food its somewhat reasonable.

Give it a shot, I'm getting hungry already.

\/ Well, except that I am Asian.

Kiko fucked around with this message at 09:51 on Dec 7, 2005

Tacier
Jul 22, 2003

Kiko posted:

I'm not even from the Bay Area, but going to San Francisco almost once a month as a kid meant I'd meet up with my relatives at Harbor Village for dim sum. I guess I didn't appreciate it as much back then but when I had it recently holy loving God.

This is just awesome, and I can't say I've had any dim sum quite this caliber anywhere else. They get a lot of Hong Kong clientele from what I can tell, since it's a pretty upscale place. Expensive for dimsum, but compared to other types of food its somewhat reasonable.

Give it a shot, I'm getting hungry already.

Another place to check out is Saigon Seafood Harbor just off I-80 in Richmond. Reasonable prices and a fantastic Dim-Sum brunch. You'll likely be the only non-asian in the place.

tcquest
Aug 13, 2003
Go Away!
I just came to the Bay Area for college and there's still one(trivial) thing that is bugging me.

When I take the BART to SFO, I typically have to transfer at both MacArthur and (now that they changed the lines around) Balboa Park since there is no direct line. However, it seems to me that instead of transferring at Balboa I could instead transfer at Embarcadero, Montgomery, Powell, or any of the other stops before Balboa Park since the lines are pretty much the same the entire way down. This way I would probably have a better shot at getting a seat when the BART to SFO is packed.

I guess my question is, why is Balboa Park a designated transfer station and what makes it any different from any of Embarcadero, etc. stations? Can I just transfer to the SFO-bound train at Embarcadero?

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

tcquest posted:

I just came to the Bay Area for college and there's still one(trivial) thing that is bugging me.

When I take the BART to SFO, I typically have to transfer at both MacArthur and (now that they changed the lines around) Balboa Park since there is no direct line. However, it seems to me that instead of transferring at Balboa I could instead transfer at Embarcadero, Montgomery, Powell, or any of the other stops before Balboa Park since the lines are pretty much the same the entire way down. This way I would probably have a better shot at getting a seat when the BART to SFO is packed.

I guess my question is, why is Balboa Park a designated transfer station and what makes it any different from any of Embarcadero, etc. stations? Can I just transfer to the SFO-bound train at Embarcadero?

Schedules are coordinated around the transfer stations so trains going in the same direction tend to sync up there. The station is probably also bigger than the single-platform ones under Market, though now I can't remember.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

Twinxor posted:

Schedules are coordinated around the transfer stations so trains going in the same direction tend to sync up there. The station is probably also bigger than the single-platform ones under Market, though now I can't remember.

Althoug this is the "correct" answer, I've ridden that route many times and I have no idea why Balboa Park is the transfer point. It's not multiplatform like the other "real" transfer points, so there doesn't seem to be a reason. Go ahead and switch downtown.

• Locked thread