Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Swivel Master
Oct 10, 2004

Floating in much the same way that bricks don't.

Jedah posted:

We also took refuge in Orphan Andy's 24/7 diner (a gay diner) and were eye-raped many a time lecherous latino men for a solid hour.

I ate there with some friends very late at night once. I was 19 and the oldest person in the group.

It was very awkward. The food wasn't great, either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

revelude
Jul 7, 2004

Trust in Allah, but tie up your camel

calvran posted:

I'm moving to the area around January 1st, and I'm going to be going to CSU East Bay. Where should I look for housing? I've heard that Hayward isn't a good area for skinny white boys like myself.

Look for housing near the CSU, up on the hill-side of Mission. There is a good amount of relatively reasonable apartments around there. Also, there are some decent apartments around Hayward/CV border way up near where 580 comes in.

(I grew up in Castro Valley. :()

Ludo
Nov 21, 2005
Jennifer Connely and Codpieces will never go out of style.
Santa Cruz goon here, moving up to SF for SFSU. From my internet detectivness, the Daly City Bart Station seems to be only a mile and a half away, easy walking distance, but the map I showed, showed a driving route, is it in fact easy walking distance, also was looking for some recomendations of good eats, good places to hang, close to campus, or close to a nearby bart station. Any overall SFSU suggestions, tips, tricks, or SF in general would also be helpfu.

SousaphoneColossus
Feb 16, 2004

There are a million reasons to ruin things.

Ludo posted:

Santa Cruz goon here, moving up to SF for SFSU. From my internet detectivness, the Daly City Bart Station seems to be only a mile and a half away, easy walking distance, but the map I showed, showed a driving route, is it in fact easy walking distance, also was looking for some recomendations of good eats, good places to hang, close to campus, or close to a nearby bart station. Any overall SFSU suggestions, tips, tricks, or SF in general would also be helpfu.
There's a free shuttle from the Daly City Bart station to SF State. I don't know how frequently it runs but the ride takes 10-15 minutes from what I hear.

mrWr0ng
Feb 12, 2001

by Lowtax
I found it to be closer to 7-10, but either way it's pretty decent. There's also shitloads of buses that run to the DC Station, and you can also get free transfer for the 28 (I think this is the one) that runs from DC to 19th Ave and down.

Also for anyone who wants to go to a great bar, I recommend zeitgeist at duboce and valencia. It's a biker bar, but they play great music (punk, metal and hardcore as opposed to 'in da club'), good atmosphere, shitloads of beer, and a good chance of seeing crazy poo poo go down

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

mrWr0ng posted:

Also for anyone who wants to go to a great bar, I recommend zeitgeist at duboce and valencia. It's a biker bar, but they play great music (punk, metal and hardcore as opposed to 'in da club'), good atmosphere, shitloads of beer, and a good chance of seeing crazy poo poo go down

Don't forget that they also let you smoke weed in the outside area. That place rules, their ribs are unbelievable and you can eat them while getting high and drinking good beer.

Jibba Jabba
Aug 27, 2003

FUTURE
DEAD
PERSON

Papercut posted:

Don't forget that they also let you smoke weed in the outside area. That place rules, their ribs are unbelievable and you can eat them while getting high and drinking good beer.

Another reason to go to Zeitgeist (tomorrow specifically): http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1751339

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Jibba Jabba posted:

Another reason to go to Zeitgeist (tomorrow specifically): http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1751339
Oh god, those stupid douchebags again. Hopefully they'll get too drunk to make it downtown.

Jibba Jabba
Aug 27, 2003

FUTURE
DEAD
PERSON

qirex posted:

Oh god, those stupid douchebags again. Hopefully they'll get too drunk to make it downtown.

Hey, maybe you could come as a Grinch.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Jibba Jabba posted:

Hey, maybe you could come as a Grinch.
Hey, I admit is sounds fun in theory but when you see that 90% of the crowd is fat weirdo "conceptual artist" types* who think they're like totally pulling one over on the man, man, you might change your tune.

*I lived with one of these people for 5 years.

Jibba Jabba
Aug 27, 2003

FUTURE
DEAD
PERSON

qirex posted:

Hey, I admit is sounds fun in theory but when you see that 90% of the crowd is fat weirdo "conceptual artist" types* who think they're like totally pulling one over on the man, man, you might change your tune.

I'm coming for the other 10%, which is cute girls dressed as sexy elves (based on my NYC experience; haven't done SF yet). I'll report back tomorrow (or whenever I sober up).

I don't believe this to be "sticking it to the man" in any way; it's just a fun excuse to dress up and party.

linus the bear
Sep 12, 2003

Santa Rosa goon here.

I know there's some more Sonoma county goons. Speak up and let's hang out sometime.

Kobalt
Mar 19, 2003

Stealth Ninja posted:

Santa Rosa goon here.

I know there's some more Sonoma county goons. Speak up and let's hang out sometime.

I left. (Napanite)
Napa: Think of the children!
Sonoma: :banjo:
Santa Rosa: :cow:

And my old apartment got turned into a Krispy Kreme. :mad:

Jibba Jabba
Aug 27, 2003

FUTURE
DEAD
PERSON

qirex posted:

Yeah, Santacon totally sucked, I wouldn't recommend it.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

yadayadayada
Dec 5, 2004

Dodgers Baseball America #1 Embarrassment Prospect
I'm leaving for the Bay Area from So Cal to stay with my cousin at his house in Atherton. According to weather.com, it's going to be raining all week, and I'm probably leaving on Thursday. Will any ventures into San Francisco be ruined by this rain? I'm thinking about places like Pier 39 and Chinatown. Would there be enough shelter from the rain so that it doesn't become unbearable around those places? Keep in mind that I'm from So Cal, so any thought of torrential rain sends me screaming for the exits.

Also, I'm kind of crapping my pants over how to get around in San Francisco. I've been told to leave the car and just take the BART into the city, but the Muni seems kind of daunting. According to another thread, it's apparently easy to get around on the buses, so should I just leave it be and try to figure it out when I get there?

Hopefully someone answers by tomorrow morning!

Jibba Jabba
Aug 27, 2003

FUTURE
DEAD
PERSON

yadayadayada posted:

I'm leaving for the Bay Area from So Cal to stay with my cousin at his house in Atherton. According to weather.com, it's going to be raining all week, and I'm probably leaving on Thursday. Will any ventures into San Francisco be ruined by this rain? I'm thinking about places like Pier 39 and Chinatown. Would there be enough shelter from the rain so that it doesn't become unbearable around those places? Keep in mind that I'm from So Cal, so any thought of torrential rain sends me screaming for the exits.

Also, I'm kind of crapping my pants over how to get around in San Francisco. I've been told to leave the car and just take the BART into the city, but the Muni seems kind of daunting. According to another thread, it's apparently easy to get around on the buses, so should I just leave it be and try to figure it out when I get there?

Hopefully someone answers by tomorrow morning!

Get an umbrella. During the rainy season, it's usually light rain, with the very occasional downpour. It's not horrible; suck it up.

Driving itself isn't that hard in the city, but parking is. I'd recommend picking up a MUNI map (sold at most bookstores and touristy shops) and riding. Remember to save your transfer slips; they're good for all rides in the next 3 or so hours.

speiseh
Dec 26, 2005

Shining, flying, purple wolfhound, show me where you are
I was thinking about visiting SF, mainly because of the reputation it has for being the starting point of the late 60s (hippie)culture, the music, the fashion, etc. How much of the old stuff is actually left? I don't want the tourist trap shops and guided tours, I want to see where it all began. I want to feel the summer of love vibes. I read the Matrix is no longer around, and lots of stuff has been rebuilt or is gone, but is there any chance of seeing some of the old genuine stuff?

Hamlet
Dec 22, 2005

by Ozma
I'd just like to say that SF and Berkeley are very different from San Jose and Santa Clara. It's hard for me to even consider some places that still are technically on the peninsula "NorCal", because they have the same sprawling suburbs and CostCo's and Home Depot's everywhere that much of SoCal has.

Really, once you get past into Redwood City, it might as well be Sacremento or Irvine.

Hamlet fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Dec 26, 2005

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -

Jibba Jabba posted:

Driving itself isn't that hard in the city, but parking is.
Yeah I can attest to that. I made the mistake of trying to park around the haight/ashbury area on the saturday night before halloween.

yeah that took a while.

A long while.

found one, though - 45 minutes of driving around in circles burning out my clutch. :D

Unled
May 24, 2001

speiseh posted:

I was thinking about visiting SF, mainly because of the reputation it has for being the starting point of the late 60s (hippie)culture, the music, the fashion, etc. How much of the old stuff is actually left? I don't want the tourist trap shops and guided tours, I want to see where it all began. I want to feel the summer of love vibes. I read the Matrix is no longer around, and lots of stuff has been rebuilt or is gone, but is there any chance of seeing some of the old genuine stuff?

I think you missed the boat pal. There's a Gap on the corner of Haight And Ashbury, that alone should signal the death toll. I saw more hippies in Southern Oregon than I do in San Francisco.

TrueClash
Dec 22, 2003
I put cocaine in a little girl's rubber ducky
I have a somewhat specific question because I'm looking to move to the Bay area in June (probably Berkeley off Telegraph or something)

Mostly I'm concerned with job hunting before I get to the city, or where I should look for jobs or how the job climate in SF is right now. I'm bringing my car when I move (mostly because I need an easy way to get to El Farlito in the Mission District whenever I want) but will that matter as to having access to more employers?

If it helps, I'm a media minded person, tech capable but not tech saavy (I can work and learn most programs easily but I'm not one who can program or would be good at IT.) I'm looking for something office based and any suggestions or leads would be very appreciated.

Oh, as far as the MUNI goes, my expereinces visiting has proven the buses to be fairly unreliable but the BART is spot on. (My sister used to live on lower Haight so I visited alot.)

Inverse Icarus
Dec 4, 2003

I run SyncRPG, and produce original, digital content for the Pathfinder RPG, designed from the ground up to be played online.
I'm starting work in mid Febuary, and I've just begun looking for a place to live. Craigslist is nice, but I can't really do much from across the country (I currently live in NY).

Can anyone recommend any real estate agents / firms around San Jose? I'll be out there for 2 weeks in late January early February and hopefully I can find a place then.

Also, what are the "bad neighborhoods" around the SJ area? Where should I not live despite how good a deal an apartment may be?

Kobalt
Mar 19, 2003

Inverse Icarus posted:

Also, what are the "bad neighborhoods" around the SJ area? Where should I not live despite how good a deal an apartment may be?

That's a hard one. Because bad neighborhoods are pretty spread out and mixed in with the nice ones and San Jose is just plain huge. It can take 45 minutes to drive from the northeast corner to the south west corner.

Campbell and Alta Glen areas are generally nice. The downtown area isn't great, it's run down, but there's a lot of college students there too in the SJU area. Some areas near Milpitas aren't great either. But then again, a block away can be very nice.

Most cities are actually pretty nice. The east bay has a higher ratio of ghettoness, but it's not bad. I live in E. Palo Alto on the west/mexican side (as opposed to the East/black side). It's not "close" to San Jose, but it's one of the few notorious areas in the bay area. The area is pretty much made up of mexican families that cram 4 or 5 people into a 1bd apartment who just want to work and live and support their families. The east side is kinda scary. I don't think I'd live over there. But I'm willing to lower my standards of living for cheap rent and a quick drive to work.

cosmic gumbo
Mar 26, 2005

IMA
  1. GRIP
  2. N
  3. SIP
A friend and myself are going to be traveling to San Francisco in about two weeks for a weekend because we can't stand it in Irvine. However, neither of us can drive so we are taking a bus up there. Money isn't an issue and we figure we can get a hotel room to sleep at night but what is there to do during the day? We are both under 21 so going to clubs isn't really an option and it has to be accessable by walking.

Any suggestions?

The Banana King
Sep 11, 2003

by Fistgrrl

Earwicker posted:

I hate Jack London Square for the most part. Oakland tried to create a "tourist district" and the main attractions are a bunch of chain stores and restaurants, and a fancy seafood place. It's probably the least interesting part of the city.

Although there's that crazy cajun place not too far away.

scotts is awesome

libelandslander
Jul 12, 2003

More awesomer than you.
Does anyone here live in, or know someone who lives in, a communal house in Oakland called the Playground? That's where my parents met and it would be awesome to meet a playground goon.

And btw, people who are visiting! Don't go to peoples park. At the top of the park you will find tweekers (I know most of them by name x_x) and all around you will get asked "Hey... Hey... mang... you shmoke rocccckssshhh?"
There's wonderful history in that park, it started out beautifully but now its just a place to shoot up where no one can see you.

I miss you Berkeley :cry:

P.s. Nuclear Wessels. In Alameda.

libelandslander fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Jan 7, 2006

Kaya
May 15, 2004
I go sailing in the SF bay quite a bit if anyone has questions about that. Other than that.. watch out for the berkeley pier.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

TrueClash posted:

I'm bringing my car when I move (mostly because I need an easy way to get to El Farlito in the Mission District whenever I want)

El Farolito is right next to the 24th st. BART station :confused:

quote:

but will that matter as to having access to more employers?

Not really, most employers are in the Financial District or SoMa which are easily accessible by public transit. I prefer not to drive within the city or even over to Oakland and Berkeley, but it is nice to have a car for roadtrips on the weekends.

Dr. Zoidberg posted:

A friend and myself are going to be traveling to San Francisco in about two weeks for a weekend because we can't stand it in Irvine. However, neither of us can drive so we are taking a bus up there. Money isn't an issue and we figure we can get a hotel room to sleep at night but what is there to do during the day? We are both under 21 so going to clubs isn't really an option and it has to be accessable by walking.

Well there are a lot of museums, the DeYoung, SFMoma, the Asian Art Museum, the Palace of the Legion of Honour, etc. and that's a good way to spend a lot of time. It's nice to walk through the park or just walk through all of the different neighborhoods. When I first moved here my girlfriend and I walked from our apartment in the Mission all the way to Ocean Beach, which took about 3 hours and was a lot of fun.

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Jan 11, 2006

shwinnebego
Jul 11, 2002

I love anime posted:

scotts is awesome

Not to mention Yoshi's.

Nickel Lady
Mar 15, 2003

Pleasure myself. Weep. Repeat.
This thread was very helpful, but I wanted to give it a bump. My husband and I are looking to have our overdue honeymoon in SF and we're hoping for some help. We're looking at mid-April for those who have suggestions on what to do.

I have been researching lodging and it seems that its expensive across the board. I've noticed a lot of B&Bs in the area and most of them look nice enough online. Anyone have any experiences with them? I am thinking that in most cases at least we would get a morning meal for the same price as a hotel.

Also, we're stopping in LA first. I dont mean to hi-jack the thread but any help with LA would be appreciated. I want to stay by the Mann theatre without going broke but also no shitholes, which might be hard to do but I think can be done. So far the Comfort Inn and Holiday Inn are checking out review-wise online.

Last question, if we want to be car free, what transportaion can we use to get from LAX into Hollywood and from that area into SF? Thanks!

Kobalt
Mar 19, 2003

Nickel Lady posted:

Last question, if we want to be car free, what transportaion can we use to get from LAX into Hollywood and from that area into SF? Thanks!

Personally, I'd recommend taxis. They aren't cheap though. You may be able to hop on a hotel shuttle from LAX with a little research. ;) Call around to fancy hotels around where you want to stay, and see if they have a shuttle service to/from LAX.

Last time I was there, I stayed at the Days Inn motel on Ventura Blvd. in Sherman Oaks. I think it was like $80 a night. Not bad for a medium class motel.

Amtrak runs from LA to SF. You may have to transfer in some places. A plane would be faster, and maybe a bit cheaper. You can probably get a 1-way with Southwest for under $100. I don't know if they still have the Friends Fly Free deal.

prozacrefugee
Jan 7, 2006

by Fistgrrl
Does the entire Upper Mission still smell like urine, or is that just the Van Ness corridor now?

sych0
Jul 12, 2004
Hey all,

This has been a greatly informative thread. I too, am considering a move to the area and have a few questions. I've been considering taking the year course at the San Francisco School of Digital Filmmaking. Its located at 2565 Third Street. From reading this thread, Berkeley, Walnut Creek and the Marin County area have sparked my interest.

A little info about me; I come from the woods of southern NH. My "town" has 3,743 people as of the 2000 census. My graduating class (1998) had about 40 students, a record in recend years. The preceding class had 26. Friends have joked that my town is like the stereotypical village all RPGs begin in. The longest I've been to any city has only been 4 days in NY. I was in SF last year for 2 days however.

That said, a move to the city itself seems a little daunting. This is why I mentioned the previous areas. My main areas of concern (in order of preference) are safety, cost of living, noise/rowdy college kids, and commute.

From what I've read, I haven't seen a whole lot of negatives from people regarding these areas. Are there any specific neighborhoods I should avoid in Berkeley/Walnut Creek? Can I find decent rent (Around the $1000/m area, plus or minus)? I'll be living alone. Any specific towns in Marin County to suggest? Ive looked into San Rafael a bit. Any other suggestions for small/quiet towns? I don't really care if its dead boring. Its dead boring here, and I'm used to it. That, and I can always go into the city when I need something to do.

How will the commute be from these areas? If I move out there, obviously I'll have to have a job which means taking evening classes from the school, 7-10pm m-f. How is traffic during these hours? How about the actual area around the school? (Third street) Will my car get vandalized? Will I get mugged? Etc etc. I'm assuming parking will be a bitch, but I've checked the BART website and the nearest station is 2.5 miles away. Having my own car SEEMS less of a pain than taking the BART and then finding a bus for the other 2.5 miles.

According to google maps, all these areas are within a 30 minute drive. That obviously doesnt account for traffic. Ideally, I'd like to be somewhere where I can commute to the school within an hour each way.

I realize most here are geeks, but anyone know how construction jobs in those areas are? I'm in the flooring business (woo-hoo) and am curious if anyone knows anything about the market. Even info on general trade jobs would be helpful.

Lastly, any opinions on the school itself? I heard about it through the Pixel Corps and figured if it had 6 degrees of seperation with TechTv, it cant be all bad. ;)

I think that pretty much does it. I'm sure I've missed some, but these are the bulk of my questions.

sych0 fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Feb 12, 2006

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Why not just live in the city? It's a little daunting, but it's not like all of SF is terrible to live in, and it won't cost too much with a roommate.

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

South Bay Goon checking in, willing to answer any questions about the Saratoga/Los Gatos/Sunnyvale/Cupertino/Mountain View area. And Palo Alto, San Jose, and a couple of others by extension. I drive around a lot. :O

Kobalt
Mar 19, 2003

sych0:

Overall, getting into San Francisco during peak hours is awful. From any direction.

Keep in mind that if you use a bridge to commute, it's $5 for the Golden Gate and $4 for all other bridges. If you have a M-F schedule, expect to pay around $100 per month. Most commuters get a FasTrak account/transponder. Look into it. Carpools are also excellent because you can use the lane, and I'm not positive, but I think carpools are also toll free for the bay bridge. Unfortunately, I believe a carpool is 3 or more people for the bridge.

For morning traffic, it can be a daily 30 minutes to even GET to the tollboth. (I used to have a pretty awesome artsy picture of the traffic.) And another 20 minutes to cross.
I'd highly recommend BART for commuting instead.

If you want to cross the bay that way, check into Berkeley or Oakland. I like the Lake Merritt area apartments, but they can be a bit crampped. Walnut Creek is a bit far of a drive, and you'll have plenty of traffic bottlenecks during peak hours. Again, BART runs through Walnut Creek.

Marin is kind of pricey, and the traffic there is pretty horrible as well, especially during the months that it floods! But I'm sure something can be found, even if it's far from the freeway. (I don't like living far from freeways) Golden Gate traffic is ok, but it can take about 20+ minutes to cross in the mornings. I don't know of any public transit that runs to SF except for maybe some busses.

The penninsula doesn't have much "culture". But at least there are 2 freeways to get there. 280 is usually the backdoor freeway and not quite as busy. Unfortunately, unless you live near 280, it's a pain to get onto.

As far as labor/construction jobs go...you'll have competition. Why? The high mexican population, legal or illegal. "Dey tuk ur jerbs!" Not to say you couldn't get a job, but the amount of pay can be reduced depending on how legit the construction company is. There are ALWAYS construction jobs to find.

Dr. Eldarion
Mar 21, 2001

Deal Dispatcher

I'm now working in Mountain View, where's an INTERESTING place that I can live that's still decently close to it? I'm in Pleasanton right now, and it's a pretty boring place. Far, far too suburby.

So far we're thinking Santa Cruz.

Dr. Eldarion fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Feb 12, 2006

Kobalt
Mar 19, 2003

Dr. Eldarion posted:

I'm now working in Mountain View, where's an INTERESTING place that I can live that's still decently close to it? I'm in Pleasanton right now, and it's a pretty boring place. Far, far too suburby.

So far we're thinking Santa Cruz.

It's not very "interesting" anywhere near Mountain View. Maybe San Jose. But, there is a decreased amount of soccer-mommery all over if that's what you're looking for.

Santa Cruz, while geographically close, is not commuting close. Expect over a 45min+ commute. Realistically, look at over an hour each way. Plus, you have to deal with the windy 2 lane Hwy 17 which is VERY accident prone and it shuts down constantly. Although it does have a cool culture.

Kobalt fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Feb 12, 2006

Dr. Eldarion
Mar 21, 2001

Deal Dispatcher

45 minutes isn't bad at all, I wouldn't mind. I drove 30 to my last job, and a hour to college for four years.

I'm just looking for a place that doesn't look like it was airlifted in from Corporate Neighborhoods, Inc. I'll take an extra 20 minute commute to live in a place I like.

Also, WHY THE HELL is there nothing to do at night in this godforsaken place? Back in Chicago and the NW suburbs, most entertainment was open until at least 10 on weekdays, and midnight or later on weekends. All the movie theaters had midnight showings, whereas it seems here there's nothing past 10:30 unless you're seeing some extra-special showing at an independent theater.

Dr. Eldarion fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Feb 12, 2006

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

2ndSeason
Aug 8, 2005

In the face! I throw you in the yarbage can.
I grew up and lived most of my life in the Bay Area, moved elsewhere, and then moved back. I've lived in multiple cities and my current job takes me throughout the entire area on a daily basis, so I thought I would chime in.

First of all, you have to understand San Francisco is a big city, with all the benefits and trappings that are normally found with big cities. It's going to be more expensive to live there, you are going to get a smaller place for more money then elsewhere. Owning a car in the city is expensive, and miserable to park, but there is a pretty good transportation system so you really don't *need* to, but it's nice of course. You have to picture what that means though if you haven't lived that lifestyle though, the good and the bad. Lugging two days worth of groceries from the tiny corner mart 4 blocks up a steep hill in the rain because the closest supermarket is 12 blocks away for example. Having a bar/cool restaurant/etc less than a block away. Needing to know someone with a drat car so you can buy a chair, or just about anything bigger than a bread box. Having something fun to do 5-10 minutes away any night of the week- theater, music scene, dining, museums, art, shopping, whatever.

Really though, unless you think you are going to be going out just about every night you don't have to live in the city to enjoy what the city has to offer. If you are a student you of course want to be near where you go to school, but if you are a working stiff trying to find a job in your field there are pretty decent odds that you are going to end up working somewhere else than in San Francisco, which brings me to this:

UnclePlasticBitch posted:

Inter-city public transportation is serviced by Bay Area Rapid Transportation, which is an amazing light rail service that is almost 100% on time and gets you where you need to go very quickly. It's a fantastic system. Here's a map detailing where it'll gov (in case you didn't know, the big peninsula sticking out on the left is San Francisco:

Know that map, learn it, live it, love it. If you live somewhere that has a BART station, you are roughly an hour or less from the city, and other points of interest around the Bay. Before you move anywhere seriously consider your distance from a BART station. Living outside of the city is cheaper (still not cheap). One of the big tricks is, make friends with someone that does live in the city. Take BART out to the city on Fri/Sat nights, and crash at their place late night so you don't have to worry about making the last train back. Trade this off by being their buddy with the car, when they need to move or whatever, it works well.

About the Bay Area in general: You are going to hear a lot about "this town is bad" and "don't live here" "ugh, I hate the xxx area". Some of this is true, but what you have to remember is there are good and bad areas of just about every city in the Bay Area. There are really nice areas of Oakland, even Richmond, but there are areas of both of those cities that I wouldn't touch with a ten foot pole, same with San Francisco and nearly everywhere else. You arn't going to be able to tell where to live over the internet/phone or by what people say here, you are going to need to check out the areas for yourself. Granted, there may be a few spots that are generally always slums or high end, but even some places that were slums 10 years ago are now redeveloped and now to expensive to live in.

Many of the bad areas to live in the past are on the upswing, due in some part to the crazy real estate boom recently, and many properties being turned over for profit, or just bought by young couples and fixed up now that poorer folks have been priced out. Others are still bad. The further you live away from the city, the easier it will be to find a place for less money with more space (for the most part, some places are eternally high end). Nothing will be "cheap", and if it is, you better belive it's cheap for a reason.

As far as work goes, you will find "a job". Depending on what you want to do, it might be difficult or very easy, it's really tough to say. I can open up the paper on any given day and find pages of want-ads in my local newspaper though, so it's not like there isn't any work if you are willing to just get a job to pay bills until you find something better to do. Hell, Mexican day-laborers with little to no english command :10bux: an hour cash to employ for yard work type stuff. Your going to be able to find something to keep yourself afloat until something better comes along unless you are a complete waste of space. I wouldn't recommend coming to the area with nothing but 100 bucks in your jeans and a smile though, save some money to give yourself some breathing room.

idiotsavant posted:

something that no one's really mentioned yet, but one of the nicest things about the bay is that there are a zillion things you can do within a relatively small travel distance. depending where you're living, the napa valley is 1-2 hours away, tahoe is roughly 3 hours (maybe 4 if you're south bay), pacifica and stinson for beaches, monterey's a couple of hours, tons of beautiful landscape everywhere and teriffic hiking, esp. west marin, at least 6 major sports teams involving just about every major sports league, and all the other stuff you get from living by a huge city.

plus it's pretty diverse, there's a ton of different ethnic restaurants and farmers markets, and lots of the people are pretty nice. i've lived here my whole life, and i'd need to do some serious searching to find places where i'd rather live.

This is very true...San Francisco is such a diverse melting pot that you can find just about every kind of food/culture/thing to do if you just look hard enough. Two baseball teams, two football teams, a basketball, pro soccer and hockey team all within about an hour of each other. Dining of just about every possible type, acceptance and celebration of just about every culture, fine arts of just about every type. If you don't like the weather drive about twenty miles and it's different, there are micro climates all over the Bay Area that can differ by 20 degrees or more. I'm 30 minutes from the city and there are cows in my backyard, and it's usually 20 degrees warmer here than in SF. Usually the people I run into that "don't like the Bay Area" haven't really seen the Bay Area, they just saw one part that didn't suit them. I still find new places and things to explore constantly, it never gets old.

• Locked thread