Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Scaramouche posted:

Thanks for the info. This is a bit more specific question but, is 45,000 a lot for san fran? I know the next thing they're going to get back to me about is salary expectations, and I already know that they'll consider paying more so I can afford to live in SF. I don't want to be too unreasonable but I also don't want to lowball myself. I was thinking of accepting 40 at the lowest but now I don't want to price myself out of the job. I don't mean average in terms of my industry and responsibilities (which you know nothing about) but rather average in terms of people living in san francisco on their own.

I'm considering roommates but I'm worried about getting stuck with a psychopath, but it makes the most sense financially and probably even from a "getting to know the city" kind of sense.

Also I have no idea where Bay Bridge or Market street is; every time I go to san francisco I navigate relative to the golden gate bridge and the exploratorium, so I hope they're close to Spear Street.

45,000 isn't a lot for SF no, in some industries entry level positions can go up to the low 40's so if you have some good experience, I wouldn't feel uncomfortable asking for 45k, though I don't know much about IT specifically.

Market street is the main street in the Downtown and Financial District areas, and Speer St. is in that area, very close to the Bay, it's a a very downtown-y kinda street. The Embarcadero BART station is just a block or two away from there and there are a shitload of busses around there too, it's a very central location. You can walk to the Ferry Building for some awesome food.

The Golden Gate Bridge and the Exploratorium though are nowhere near there, they're up on the northern side of the city, near the Presidio. But if you want to go to the Exploratorium from Speer st. you can take the F line up the Embarcadero which wraps around and eventually goes over to Fisherman's Wharf, from there the Exploratorium is not that far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Earwicker posted:

45,000 isn't a lot for SF no, in some industries entry level positions can go up to the low 40's so if you have some good experience, I wouldn't feel uncomfortable asking for 45k, though I don't know much about IT specifically.

Market street is the main street in the Downtown and Financial District areas, and Speer St. is in that area, very close to the Bay, it's a a very downtown-y kinda street. The Embarcadero BART station is just a block or two away from there and there are a shitload of busses around there too, it's a very central location. You can walk to the Ferry Building for some awesome food.

The Golden Gate Bridge and the Exploratorium though are nowhere near there, they're up on the northern side of the city, near the Presidio. But if you want to go to the Exploratorium from Speer st. you can take the F line up the Embarcadero which wraps around and eventually goes over to Fisherman's Wharf, from there the Exploratorium is not that far.

Thanks, that gives me some reassurance for wage negotiation. It's a mid-level responsibility job, certainly more than entry level, and I've been tapped by perhaps the CEO himself to do it so I hopefully have some leeway.

What are some "cool" bohemian areas to live in that happen to be somewhat close to spear? I'm kind of used to staying where the action is unfortunately.

As for the bridge/exploratorium, I don't actually want to go there but since they're the only landmarks I know I tend to reference other places relative to them. "Oh yeah that place, it's by the exploratorium" or "oh yeah, you get off the bridge here and turn there and then you're here." Though the exploratorium is pretty cool in its own right.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Scaramouche posted:

What are some "cool" bohemian areas to live in that happen to be somewhat close to spear? I'm kind of used to staying where the action is unfortunately.

Well I'm not sure what bohemian means these days but there are cool neighborhoods all over the city. I guess Hayes Valley is the closest thing I can think of to a "bohemian neighborhood" in SF but that's probably not quite right. Or the part of the Mission that goes between Valencia and Dolores streets. It also seems like parts of SoMa (south of market) are becoming a hip area to live in, but SoMa is really spotty.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

I just posted a thread on this but it was suggested that I check out this thread.

I'm going to a wedding near the end of August (20th to be exact) in Morgan Hill at the Willow Heights Mansion. I'll most likely just fly into San Francisco and just rent a car at the airport and drive the hour or so to Morgan Hill.

As far as a hotel, I don't know what's going with that yet. I might just get a place in San Francisco since I'll probably stay there before and after the wedding.

Now, since the wedding is on a Sunday I'll probably fly in on Thursday or Friday and leave on Monday or Tuesday. Does anyone have any suggestions to places I should go and visit or things to do?

Nyo
Apr 15, 2006
Cé hé d'athair?
Okay guys, I posted this question earlier but no one ever got around to it.

I'll be back in the East Bay in a few weeks, I was wondering if anyone knew of any good temp agencies in the area, specifically the Dublin/Pleasanton/Livermore area. I am in desperate need of a plan for a job when I get back, but of course I can't do anything at the moment since I'm in Europe.

twid
May 31, 2006
Bay Area Bald Guy

Nyo posted:

I'll be back in the East Bay in a few weeks, I was wondering if anyone knew of any good temp agencies in the area, specifically the Dublin/Pleasanton/Livermore area.

If you're a techie, Taos http://www.taos.com/ is a pretty large staffing agency in that area. I've heard generally good things about them, and I have friends that temped through them and didn't get screwed.

twid
May 31, 2006
Bay Area Bald Guy

Earwicker posted:

San Jose is not a suburb. It's the third largest city in California and is bigger than SF both in geographical size and population.

It's not really worth fighting over, but I've been here for a while. During the .com boom San Jose felt like more of a city, but since the crash they have progressively shut down much of the arts and cancelled much of their downtown development. I think San Jose jumped the shark when they defunded their downtown development and instead built the Santana Row megamall.

So, you might like San Jose, but when we want to see a show or otherwise have fun, we drive the 45 minutes from Santa Clara to San Francisco rather than the 15 minutes to San Jose.

Maaku
Oct 3, 2005
yerface
Hey guys I have to commute (by myself) from Sacramento to downtown San Francisco this Friday night. The thing is, I leave Sac at ~4:30 PM and I HAVE to be in the city before 7:00. How bad is the traffic on the way down (interstate 80 especially) and do you think I will make it within the timeframe?

The Banana King
Sep 11, 2003

by Fistgrrl

Maaku posted:

Hey guys I have to commute (by myself) from Sacramento to downtown San Francisco this Friday night. The thing is, I leave Sac at ~4:30 PM and I HAVE to be in the city before 7:00. How bad is the traffic on the way down (interstate 80 especially) and do you think I will make it within the timeframe?

I've never made that commute at that time but I think you'll be fine.

Inverse Icarus
Dec 4, 2003

I run SyncRPG, and produce original, digital content for the Pathfinder RPG, designed from the ground up to be played online.
I'm planning to take my girlfriend to the SF Zoo this weekend, and I was wondering what you guys would suggest for afterwards. We're coming from South San Jose / Santa Clara, so it's a bit of a trek, and I figure if we're that close to the city we might as well do something there.

Any real good Italian or Greek places nearby? Anything else of note?

Zoccoli
Feb 12, 2004

Everything that stands will be at odds with its neighbor, and everything that falls will perish without grace

Maaku posted:

80 will probably be awful from Pinole on south, but westbound traffic might have lightened up by the time you get to Emeryville and the Bay Bridge. I think you'll probably have enough time. Late evening (after say, 9pm) weekend traffic heading into the toll plaza is often inexplicably bad, I guess from all of the people heading into the city for the nightlife. I've waited up to an hour sometimes just to get from Emeryville to the toll booth.

In other news, I got a permanent job! I'm so loving happy. I'll be working in Levi's Plaza (not for Levi's). Hopefully I can move out to SF later in the summer. :)

Debbie Metallica
Jun 7, 2001

By the way, the Wave Organ was pretty nice. Just mentioning that in case anyone else wants to go. It's pretty small but I thought it was neat. :)

Kobalt
Mar 19, 2003

Ozma posted:

By the way, the Wave Organ was pretty nice. Just mentioning that in case anyone else wants to go. It's pretty small but I thought it was neat. :)

Did I miss something? What is it?

Inverse Icarus
Dec 4, 2003

I run SyncRPG, and produce original, digital content for the Pathfinder RPG, designed from the ground up to be played online.
http://www.roadtripamerica.com/places/waveorg.htm

:confused:

Did you go at FIVE IN THE loving MORNING?

gi-
Aug 18, 2004
I am taking a female friend to the city soon (we are from east bay) what can we do fun there? We are about 20 years of age.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
I also have a date in the city and sort of need ideas, I'm picking her up around Broadway and Embarcadero for lunch and some other afternoon thing. I haven't really done much in the actual city of SF. I thought about the SF MOMA, but the current featured exhibit looks a little depressing for a first date.

I've searched the thread for "date" and "broadway" and come up with very little, sorry if this has been covered before.

ArmyGroup303
Apr 10, 2004

If this were real life, I would have piloted this helicopter with you still in it.

JawnV6 posted:

I also have a date in the city and sort of need ideas, I'm picking her up around Broadway and Embarcadero for lunch and some other afternoon thing. I haven't really done much in the actual city of SF. I thought about the SF MOMA, but the current featured exhibit looks a little depressing for a first date.

I've searched the thread for "date" and "broadway" and come up with very little, sorry if this has been covered before.

If you were considering going to the SFMOMA, you may as well hit the Meteron now - they have a walkthrough exhibit of the Titanic on display, and from what my co-worker said, it'll blow your mind.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

I'm moving to San Francisco in August and I'm looking for apartment hunting advice.

1) What resources are there besides Craigslist?

2) I am looking to spend less than $2000, preferably around $1500 on a decent one bedroom apartment. Is my price range too high, too low, or just about right?

3) I guess I'd classify myself as somewhat of a yuppie. I do enjoy the finer things in life. I've heard that the Marina could be the neighborhood for me. However, I am wary of it being built on a landfill and the implications of that with regards to earthquake damage. I am also wary of reports of the area being prime former Frat boy hangout. I'm a pretty quiet person and very rarely go to bars/clubs. I'm looking for neighborhoods with bookshops, cafes, nice places to eat, etc.. Which neighborhoods in SF would be right for me?

Oh yeah, I'm working at one of the office towers in the Embarcadero and am assuming that there's easy public transit access from just about any neighborhood to work.

mediawhore
Apr 18, 2003

i think i'm gonna put you down for a while

gret posted:

I'm moving to San Francisco in August and I'm looking for apartment hunting advice.

1) What resources are there besides Craigslist?

2) I am looking to spend less than $2000, preferably around $1500 on a decent one bedroom apartment. Is my price range too high, too low, or just about right?

3) I guess I'd classify myself as somewhat of a yuppie. I do enjoy the finer things in life. I've heard that the Marina could be the neighborhood for me. However, I am wary of it being built on a landfill and the implications of that with regards to earthquake damage. I am also wary of reports of the area being prime former Frat boy hangout. I'm a pretty quiet person and very rarely go to bars/clubs. I'm looking for neighborhoods with bookshops, cafes, nice places to eat, etc.. Which neighborhoods in SF would be right for me?

Oh yeah, I'm working at one of the office towers in the Embarcadero and am assuming that there's easy public transit access from just about any neighborhood to work.

You should try Hayes Valley. It's a great neighborhood and fits with your requirements of bookshops, cafes and nice places to eat. The Marina is gross: full of overgrown frat boys and cheesy sorority sisters. The apartments in Hayes Valley are within your price range and it's really close to downtown by bus. Granted, MUNI sucks and is slow as poo poo in the mornings but you will still get there.

I live above Hayes Valley about a block away from Alamo Square and I go down to Hayes valley all the time for brunch etc. It's a little yuppie for me but for you, a self-described kinda yuppie it is probably perfect.

Deadreak
Jul 16, 2004

Я никому не хочу 
I can bet my left nut it was talked about before, but that’s why I hate huge threads, pain in the rear end to go through them.

What kind of nightclubs would you guys recommend? Don’t care about the music, just something fun to dance to and has to be located around Downtown area. I checked yahoo, but there are so many.

I found couple, but they are like $20 per person and I bet drinks are expensive as hell too. (Like Ruby Skye or Suite One8one).

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

gret posted:

Hayes Valley is a good suggestion, and you also might look at the Inner Richmond/Richmond area, or even the Sunset. They're a little further from downtown, but if you don't mind riding the bus they're still a short ride away, and the apartments in those neighborhoods are really nice and right in your price range.

Edit:

I also have a question of my own, actually. The other morning I came out to find a note on my car from someone who witnessed the Muni bus hitting my left side mirror. The mirror's broken. Does anyone know who to contact about being reimbursed, or where to file charges (other than police report, I already did that but don't have much hope)? I couldn't find anything on the DMV or Muni websites, so I'm not really sure where to turn.

Papercut fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Jun 15, 2006

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

The Marina sucks and is totally overpriced for what you get. If you're looking in that range you should check out Nob Hill and Russian Hill as well. The area around California and Fillmore [is that Lower Pac Heights] is still kinda ritzy but on the more tolerable side.The market's up a bit again so $1500 is probably on the low side for anything decent though. You didn't mention if you need parking or not as that's a $200-500/month difference in what you'll pay. I like Hayes Valley but the bus situation can be pretty weak as both the 5 and the 31 are kind of sucky. There's not a whole lot of parking though.

Honestly though, and this isn't anything against you, the yuppies here are on a whole other level and pursuing "the finer things" in SF is a good way to burn through every penny you make.

Jibba Jabba
Aug 27, 2003

FUTURE
DEAD
PERSON

Deadreak posted:

What kind of nightclubs would you guys recommend? Don’t care about the music, just something fun to dance to and has to be located around Downtown area. I checked yahoo, but there are so many.

I found couple, but they are like $20 per person and I bet drinks are expensive as hell too. (Like Ruby Skye or Suite One8one).

I'm not a huge fan of clubs, but the one commercial venue I like is the DNA Lounge (at 11th/Harrison I think).

The music varies night-to-night, so check the listings first. I'm a fan of the Pop Roxx night, which happens every last Saturday (usually). The cover's only $5; and I like most of the music.

The drinks are a little pricey, but not as bad as Ruby Skye. I prefer to wield a flask (don't let them catch you with it).

Deadreak
Jul 16, 2004

Я никому не хочу 

Jibba Jabba posted:

I'm not a huge fan of clubs, but the one commercial venue I like is the DNA Lounge (at 11th/Harrison I think).

The music varies night-to-night, so check the listings first. I'm a fan of the Pop Roxx night, which happens every last Saturday (usually). The cover's only $5; and I like most of the music.

The drinks are a little pricey, but not as bad as Ruby Skye. I prefer to wield a flask (don't let them catch you with it).

I will check it out, seems like Lift (general hip-hop stuff) is this Saturday. So, as I understand, it is nice place to dance to live music and have couple of drinks, with interesting people?

Price: $20 :( Oh well, as long as it is fun I guess.
Thank you.

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not thinking of anything!
Holy mother of god I did it. I'm making the move! This is going to be my first time living on my own, and I'm moving all the way across the country from New Hampshire to San Francisco!

Some people have mentioned temp work; what are some good places for that? What skills will I need to be able to do that until I find something I really want to work in?

I need all the advice I can get, so I give my thanks in advance.

CantHoldItDown
Jul 12, 2004
I am so fucked up!!!

Tumble posted:

Holy mother of god I did it. I'm making the move! This is going to be my first time living on my own, and I'm moving all the way across the country from New Hampshire to San Francisco!

Some people have mentioned temp work; what are some good places for that? What skills will I need to be able to do that until I find something I really want to work in?

I need all the advice I can get, so I give my thanks in advance.

Awesome!!

I am feeling the same way right now. I got laid off in May and I have decided to sell my stuff and move in with a friend out there. As my stuff slowly disappears I more and more realize what I am getting into, and it freaks me out a little. I need to do this once in my life though, just so I can be confident I can deal with a major change.

Good luck and PM me please. I would like to know how things go for you.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

I'm not much into dancing, but I'd like to go clubbing in SF with my girlfriend on Thursday. Any recommendations for clubs that aren't too crowded/tacky/expensive/generally unpleasant?

Whoops, looks like this was just asked!

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

It's not exactly a nightclub but Amnesia (19th and Valencia) is an awesome place for dancing on the weekends, I had a great time there just the other day. You might also check out the Make-Out Room (22nd and Mission).

Tumble posted:

Some people have mentioned temp work; what are some good places for that? What skils will I need to be able to do that until I find something I really want to work in?

I worked as a temp through Officeteam for a while before I got a good full-time job. The different branches have different levels of reliability but the downtown SF office on California street was very solid. As for skills you just need general office stuff, MS Word and Excel, Powerpoint, stuff like that. They'll test you when you sign up. The jobs range from sitting at a desk and answering a phone, to data entry, to filing, to more complex spreadsheet work, mail merges, crap like that. Nothing too complicated.

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Jun 20, 2006

sych0
Jul 12, 2004

Tumble posted:

'Grats bro. I'm hoping to make the same NH->SF move in january :)

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003

Earwicker posted:

I worked as a temp through Officeteam for a while before I got a good full-time job. The different branches have different levels of reliability but the downtown SF office on California street was very solid. As for skills you just need general office stuff, MS Word and Excel, Powerpoint, stuff like that. They'll test you when you sign up. The jobs range from sitting at a desk and answering a phone, to data entry, to filing, to more complex spreadsheet work, mail merges, crap like that. Nothing too complicated.

Awesome dude, thanks for that information. By the way, my rent is 450 a month, if I work temp jobs, I should be able to make due ok, right? About how many hours a week did they give you? How much money did you earn?

Tumble fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Jun 20, 2006

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Tumble posted:

Awesome dude, thanks for that information. By the way, my rent is 450 a month, if I work temp jobs, I should be able to make due ok, right? About how many hours a week did they give you? How much money did you earn?

I usually earned somewhere between 11 and 15 per hour, depending on the job. Most weeks they were able to hook me up with at least 30 hours if not 40 most of the time. You should be alright if your rent is at 450. How'd you get rent that low by the way, I assume you have roomates?

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003

Earwicker posted:

I usually earned somewhere between 11 and 15 per hour, depending on the job. Most weeks they were able to hook me up with at least 30 hours if not 40 most of the time. You should be alright if your rent is at 450. How'd you get rent that low by the way, I assume you have roomates?

Yea, I have roommates. I decided that if I'm going to live on my own for the first time in a big city, far away from home, it would probably be best if I had roommates at first.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Well good luck to you dude, give Officeteam a call and some other agencies as well, it doesn't hurt to be signed up at more than one and just go with whoever starts getting you the most work. SF is a great town so I'm sure you'll have a good time, especially since you're saving a lot on rent!

Zoccoli
Feb 12, 2004

Everything that stands will be at odds with its neighbor, and everything that falls will perish without grace
Yeah, definitely seed your resume at multiple agencies, if not for more temp work then at least for permanent jobs. The more people you have helping you the better you'll do. If I hadn't lucked into my new job when I did, I'd have been signing up with every agency I could. I'm technically still temp-to-hire here, but they made it sound like they'll fast-track me to permanent status because they like me. (Unless if they were lying about one or both of those statements :v: )

Does anyone have any tips on lunch spots around Battery & Embarcadero? I can tell I'm going to get tired of sandwiches from RJ's eventually, but there aren't very many eateries nearby.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

There's not a ton right in that area but El Gran Taco on Broadway at Montgomery is really good, there's a decent take-out sushi place and a cheap Chinese delia at Pacific and Battery, there's the Safeway on Jackson. If you can travel a little farther there's Naan & Curry, Clown Alley and Great Hunan at Jackson & Columbus and there's all the stuff at the Ferry Building [Pancho Villa just opened].

I miss eating lunch in Sydney Walton Square, it was always packed with hot advertising women on nice days.

qirex fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Jun 20, 2006

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

There is a really nice panini place called Massimo's on Battery and Washington, right across from the INS building (or whatever its called now). That might be a bit far tho.

qirex where did you work at Sydney Walton Square? I used to work on Front St. right there, I at lunch in the park all the time. I love that wierd network of walkways you can take out of there that goes through all those fancy high-rises and poo poo.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I worked at an early interactive agency at Pacific & Sansome and I worked at a branding agency right next to McArthur Park. This was 8-10 years ago.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Ah cool, I worked at a print brokerage directly above MacArthur Park. In fact in MacArthur Park there are "skylights" that eventually do go to the actual cieling, which meant that the space was open in our offices as well and we could see people eating below us, really wierd.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Earwicker posted:

It's not exactly a nightclub but Amnesia (19th and Valencia) is an awesome place for dancing on the weekends, I had a great time there just the other day. You might also check out the Make-Out Room (22nd and Mission).

Amnesia looks pretty good - it's alive during the week too?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Twinxor posted:

Amnesia looks pretty good - it's alive during the week too?

Yeah but it varies a lot, it's not always a DJ and sometimes they have bands that you might not like to dance to. For instance I go there on most Thursdays to visit a friend who does the sound that night and it's not really good dancing music for the most part, though the bands are usually still quite good. But on the weekend is when they have more hiphop, soul, electro, funk, etc. It's a cool place in any case, lot of good beers on tap too.

• Locked thread