Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
79 & 80 were just epic back-to-back, I love where this is going.

thegodofchuck posted:

I repeat, do not watch the preview at the end of episode 81 when it arrives.

Don't watch the previews for LOGH ever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

froobly
Sep 12, 2003

These are my awards, Mother. From Army. The seal is for marksmanship, and the gorilla is for sand racing!
Episode 81

And no, I have not watched the preview.

It was kind of surreal, though, to see the entire staff of Iserlohn just sleeping in place. Does that kind of thing ever really happen in the military? Is there any precedent for this, or did the writer just think it would be a funny image?

SeedyV
Nov 10, 2005

Water Triiiiibe
I suppose there's moments like that where those 'full day's rest in one-hour' machines just can't suffice...

The simultaneous fainting of the entire Iserlohn crew is a tad hyperbolic, but then again everyone had practically been engaged in intense warfare for over a week. So while it seems a little silly, it's not completely out of the question, though I'd like to know what Julian did during that time that warranted his fainting. As far as precedents in actual history, I haven't a clue.

Anyone notice how aged Yang looked while he slept at the end? He looks as if he aged 20 years in the span of 2 weeks.

Waiting another week for 82 is going to suck...how about another quick-fire follow-up release, Central Anime? ...please?

Edit - Oh hi there answered prayer! :rock:

SeedyV fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Jul 17, 2006

Dantes
Sep 3, 2003
It can never be too cold.

SeedyV posted:

Waiting another week for 82 is going to suck...how about another quick-fire follow-up release, Central Anime? ...please?

Your dreams have been fullilled. Episode 82

froobly
Sep 12, 2003

These are my awards, Mother. From Army. The seal is for marksmanship, and the gorilla is for sand racing!

Dantes posted:

:monocle:

I don't know how I'm gonna get through tomorrow knowing this is here.

Daryl Surat
Apr 6, 2002

I don't care what you say about this post, but if anyone steps on my bunion, I'll kill them!

Daryl Surat posted:

Episode 60 eh? Oh dear.

This thread is about to E-X-P-L-O-D-E.

Well, now that it's out: for some reason I thought 62 was 82 back when I wrote that.

Note to self: rewatch this entire show.

EDIT: years ago I mentioned this episode to my podcast cohosts as like, the very first thing they knew about the series on the grounds that "nobody's ever going to subtitle this far anyway." :q:

Whatever. Most people I know refuse to watch past episode 26. Actually, that is not true. Most people I show this to refuse to watch past episode 2.

Daryl Surat fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Jul 17, 2006

SeedyV
Nov 10, 2005

Water Triiiiibe

Dantes posted:

Episode 82

I'm speechless. This post may be editted later when I collect some coherent thought, but I have no idea when that will be.

Jabu
Feb 11, 2004

There are no heroes left in man

Dantes posted:

I was kinda expecting that after all the DO NOT WATCH EPISODE 81 PREVIEW OH GOD 82 IS SO WOW stuff but jesus... it's so sad :(

I went back and watched the preview in 81 expecting to see some small hints, but it completely, bluntly spoils 82. I don't know what they were thinking there.

Man of Wax
May 20, 2003

It would be totally sweet if Episode 82 would download faster than 3.5 K/sec.

SeedyV
Nov 10, 2005

Water Triiiiibe

Jabu posted:

I was kinda expecting that after all the DO NOT WATCH EPISODE 81 PREVIEW OH GOD 82 IS SO WOW stuff but jesus... it's so sad :(

I felt the exact same way to be quite honest, but to see it carried out the way it was brought me way down...

Jabu posted:

I went back and watched the preview in 81 expecting to see some small hints, but it completely, bluntly spoils 82. I don't know what they were thinking there.

Good lord, these aren't previews after all, in reality they're episode REVIEWS but someone in the editing department hosed up and shifted them all back by one episode...

Logue
Nov 16, 2005
:( It wouldve been worse if i didnt know it was going to happen. thats what happens when you read wikipedia. it listed Yang's voice actor and then it said in parenthesis "season 1 to season 3". loving wikipedia. It was also worse because i looked at the episode titles for all of this season, and the episode title for 82 just gave it away :(. the entire episode i was just waiting for it to happen. God dammit was that an unpleasant experience.

Xy Hapu
Mar 7, 2004

It suited him perfectly, when I saw it the first thing I thought was, "jesus christ!" and the second was, "Hell yeah, they had the balls to end it like he'd want it." If he had had no choice in the matter, anyway.

Sleeping pills :argh: Prior to that, I had it firmly entrenched in my mind that Yang was too smart to get screwed over, but once I saw the effect the pills had, I realized he was suddenly extremely vulnerable. It's a brilliant moment that makes you go, "gently caress gently caress gently caress this isn't good"

I also think it's hilarious that all the sad faces show through the spoilers. Time for operation misleading emoticon: :lol: :psyduck:

Coldbird
Jul 17, 2001

be spiritless
I watched all this a long time ago, with crappy HK subs, so I had no idea Yang would die. It really does hit like a ton of bricks, even though they had some pretty clear foreshadowing - it wasn't clear if they meant Yang or Julian, though. Or, I thought, maybe they just get separated or Julian goes into politics or out into deep space or whatever else.

Some people I know stopped watching the show at this point, since they don't see how anything could continue meaningfully. All I can say is: KEEP GOING. The show finishes very, very well in the aftermath of Yang's death. Maybe the most interesting reaction isn't so much from the Alliance guys, but Lohengramm's - it takes a while to be seen in full though.

Sometimes people complain about shows not having the balls to make serious changes, well, this is probably one of the bigger changes a show ever made. It really is incredibly well done though I can see how lots of people would be pissed off watching it. It's like killing off Jack Bauer.

TomatoActivator
Jun 11, 2003
Cheesy Bread
I don't really feel like watching any more of logh.

thegodofchuck
May 13, 2006

You'll be godlike

Jabu posted:

I thought jumping up and down yelling about the preview was somewhat obvious, but the complete revelation of the episode given in the preview needed another warning, in my opinion. That is not a preview anyone should watch...

I definitely encourage everyone to keep watching... it's a bit slow for a couple episodes, but there's some powerful stuff coming up.

Grey Area
Sep 9, 2000
Battle Without Honor or Humanity
Oh God it's so sad.

And so brilliant.

Mind Ape
Dec 23, 2005
Great Sage Equalling Heaven
Oh man...82...was brilliant. I look forward to Yang's apotheosis, and eulogies from every character great and small. It seems to me the drama will crystallize in the next bunch of episodes. Though I really can't see what's going to happen from here. Let the freak out begin!

Man of Wax
May 20, 2003

Well, I suppose it was going to happen sooner or later. Just look at the EDs and it's pretty obvious which lone Alliance character survives the bloodbath that is LoGH. With all of the hype surrounding this episode and the foreshadowing at the beginning, it was obvious what would happen, but still an incredibly gutsy move on the part of the author. In a way, Yang had to go, I suppose. Just like Kircheis.

edit: I think it was incredibly classy how Yang, the man who dedicated his life to democracy--the government of the nobodies--was, in the end, killed by one of them. In a show with a cast of probably, oh, a thousand or so named characters, it was a random thug who did him in. Rank and fame are simply of no consequence at the barrel of a gun. It's the ultimate democratizer, in a way.

Gearing the gently caress up for season 4.

Man of Wax fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Jul 19, 2006

The Duran
Jan 24, 2004

Wacky Waving Inflating Arm Flailing Tube Man!!!
I don't remember any forshadowing with the death of Kircheis though. When he died it was much more of a shock because it completely came out of no where. With Yang, they pretty much said over and over that "YANG IS GOING TO DIE VERY SOON."

Man of Wax
May 20, 2003

The Duran posted:

I don't remember any forshadowing with the death of Kircheis though. When he died it was much more of a shock because it completely came out of no where. With Yang, they pretty much said over and over that "YANG IS GOING TO DIE VERY SOON."

I meant in the sense that just like Kircheis had to go in order to drive Reihard in a specific direction, so too did Yang in order to... we'll see. It's not that their deaths, as isolated events, were somehow similar.

Dantes
Sep 3, 2003
It can never be too cold.
Now that Yang is dead I want to see Reihard pull an Haruhi. Since the world has lost all interest and there is not even HIS Kyon to save, he needs to destroy the galaxy and start anew in the next.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Holy shazbot. I can't say I was necessarily expecting that in 81, but wow.

Chris Knight fucked around with this message at 13:05 on Jul 19, 2006

PegasusOh!
Mar 7, 2006

by Fistgrrl
Having only recently caught up with the series (just finished episode 82, and wow, holy poo poo spoilerspoilerspoiler), I have to say this is one of the best series I've ever watched. It's a nice Space Opera that isn't hosed up by alien's with toasters for heads, none of the lovely anime trappings/cliches like fanservice or over the top angst or giant robots, just 82 (so far) episodes of engaging, detailed story.

A comment and a question- what also helped me get into this show were the subtitles, stupidly enough. As petty as it seems, I have real problems with watching Anime subtitled when they leave in unnessecary suffixes (that could be easily translateable), don't leave words untranslated and then put the translation at the top of the screen, for example-

Oh, he eats pan like a baka, hikaru sama!
(top of screen) PAN = BREAD BAKA = IDIOT SAMA = TERM OF RESPECT

It just puts me off. Especially when it's something that is quite obviously not meant to be in Japan or with Japanese people (nor are they actually speaking Japanese). So having actual translations for things makes it seem a lot less fanwankery and more accessable to me. Good stuff!

A question though, I remember reading about someone producing a fandub for what was it... I think episode 51 and 52? Somewhere in the middle of the series, anyway. While it might be hilariously bad, I'm still keen on actually hearing it, because it'd be interesting.

aaah who knows.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

I've been away since the day after 79 came out. I check the forum once, and notice a bunch of spoilers for the new episodes I haven't watched yet. "Hm. Looks like some poo poo went down in the new episodes..."

Then I get home and watch 80-82.

There is not enough :psyduck: in the world to describe how blown my mind is.

I'm glad Yang wasn’t killed by Fork; I howled with laughter at in the end how useless and ineffectual Fork was.

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

What what what :cry:

thegodofchuck
May 13, 2006

You'll be godlike

Nebakenezzer posted:

I'm glad Yang wasn’t killed by Fork; I howled with laughter at in the end how useless and ineffectual Fork was.

Actually, Fork did exactly what he was supposed to, set up for the real assassins. Fork didn't realize that was his role, but he still got the job done.

Admiral Pi
Mar 15, 2006
e's and i's off the starboard bow!

thegodofchuck posted:

Actually, Fork did exactly what he was supposed to, set up for the real assassins. Fork didn't realize that was his role, but he still got the job done.

I don't know... did he? I mean, the only way Yang heard about Fork was from a transmission from the supposed Imperials in the first place; the report from the Phezzans came after he left. In fact, if they hadn't used the real Fork, the good guys would've had no way of knowing anything was coming at all. Seemed kinda like a pointless move on the Terraists' part.

thegodofchuck
May 13, 2006

You'll be godlike

Admiral Pi posted:

Seemed kinda like a pointless move on the Terraists' part.

Very minimal and general spoiler for the future - A lot of the things the Terraists do seem pretty pointless, except to make you yell "loving Earth cult!" and act out :argh:

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
83 is out!

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.

Chris Knight posted:

83 is out!

Hooray! I just finished watching 82 this morning...

This episode better be amazing.

Edit: Ok, after watching it, I'm happy with the episode, and thought it was pretty cool. But now this is just going to suck even more until the next episode is out.

Leper Residue fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Jul 25, 2006

Robot Bastard
Jul 14, 2004

by Ozma
MOTHER loving GOD drat gently caress gently caress IT ALL TO GOD drat HELL translation: I just watched 82 and 83

Although this had been spoiled for me a loooooong time ago, in this very thread in fact.

But, still, it's such a ridiculous anticlimax..."oh look, after surviving all these tremendous space battles, Yang Wenli gets popped in the leg by some scrub who isn't even named, and he's too stoned to put on a drat tourniquet."

I'm definitely looking forward to the Imperial Fleet's reaction to this news. It's going to be fun to watch Reinhardt go :ssj:

Admiral Pi posted:

In fact, if they hadn't used the real Fork, the good guys would've had no way of knowing anything was coming at all. Seemed kinda like a pointless move on the Terraists' part.
Well, I get the impression that the Terraists wanted it to be them who killed Yang Wenli. If Fork had done it, then it would have just been some nut. But by letting Fork loose, the Terraists had a reason to get themselves invited on board the Reda II.

Man of Wax posted:

Just look at the EDs and it's pretty obvious which lone Alliance character survives the bloodbath that is LoGH.
Yeah; the first season ED is particularly clear. I'm going to be really sad when Frederica gets it, though. (assuming that she does. And if you know, DON'T loving TELL US, OKAY?)

It's nice to see Attenborough get all serious, although I suppose it means that we'll never see Pirate Dusty again...

edit: I'm glad that CA resisted the urge to translate that one line as "the terrorists will have won!"

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Robot Bastard fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Jul 25, 2006

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

I'm definitely looking forward to the Imperial Fleet's reaction to this news. It's going to be fun to watch Reinhardt go :ssj:

Yeah, this is pretty much what is keeping me watching the series now. That motherfucker better pull some serious rear end "I Love him" bullshit, or else.

Edit: For some reason the quotes don't work?

Admiral Pi
Mar 15, 2006
e's and i's off the starboard bow!

Robot Bastard posted:

Well, I get the impression that the Terraists wanted it to be them who killed Yang Wenli. If Fork had done it, then it would have just been some nut. But by letting Fork loose, the Terraists had a reason to get themselves invited on board the Reda II.

Well yeah, but my point is, the only way Yang knew that Fork was on the loose was the Terriasts-in-Imperial-clothing telling him in the first place. They could have just said "Hey, Fork's comin' for ya!" without, you know, actually bothering to release Fork. Plus, this has the added advantage of not tipping off the Iserlohn crew so they come out and slaughter you.

Robot Bastard
Jul 14, 2004

by Ozma

Admiral Pi posted:

They could have just said "Hey, Fork's comin' for ya!" without, you know, actually bothering to release Fork. Plus, this has the added advantage of not tipping off the Iserlohn crew so they come out and slaughter you.
But they needed a plausible reason to come on board the ship. If they just show up and say "hey, Fork is coming, oh hey mind if we stop by for dinner?" then Yang's crew will probably not let them dock...or at least they'll keep their wits about them instead of being taken by surprise. (seriously, were there only like five people onboard the "Reda II"?) Also, they didn't expect Konev to get wind of the idea and warn the Iserlohn group...although, being fanatics, they probably wouldn't have cared, as long as they take Wenli down.

The Therminador
Mar 31, 2004

Robot Bastard posted:

seriously, were there only like five people onboard the "Reda II"?

Not necesseraly. When they boarded the ship and started shooting the El Facil politicos, they sent the survivors running and all they had to do was follow them to Yang's location.
Judging from the casualty reports from the Iserlohn corridor battle there are on average 1000 crew per ship not taking size into account, and the Leda II is a lot smaller than those massive battleships or carriers. Yang's ship was probably on a skeleton crew anyway, so IMHO it makes sense that the boarding party wouldn't have to bump in to a lot of people before getting to Yang.

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

http://a.scarywater.net/ca/logh%20eps%2084%20-%20Central%20Anime%20(b477e8b3)%20.avi.torrent

Hopefully we'll be able to see what the other side has to say about things in this episode.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
Thanks a bunch MoW for this thread, I'm really enjoying the show :)

I try to watch the episodes in half season chunks (for DVD burning purposes) so I'm still only half way through season three, but I wanted to know if CA has any plans to release the other two OVAs and movies after they finish season 4. I know it will probably be a year easy before season 4 is done but I don't want it to end :(

edit: \/\/\/ Goody Gumdrops. I don't mind waiting for eps as long as I know they're coming :dance:

I Feel Every Flower That is Screaming to Consume You

Takes No Damage fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Aug 1, 2006

Man of Wax
May 20, 2003

sephiroth669 posted:

Thanks a bunch MoW for this thread, I'm really enjoying the show :)

I try to watch the episodes in half season chunks (for DVD burning purposes) so I'm still only half way through season three, but I wanted to know if CA has any plans to release the other two OVAs and movies after they finish season 4. I know it will probably be a year easy before season 4 is done but I don't want it to end :(

On their forum they indicate that they have LDs of everything and intend to sub it all. The bootlegs on BoxTorrents are fairly watchable, but if you can wait, get CA's.

patricius
Apr 17, 2006

sicut patribus sit deus nobis
Just finished ep. 57, and wow, this show is amazing. It manages to do both philosophy and action/strategy fairly well, not to mention having some extremely memorable characters. Though I'm a fan of calculated, lumbering capital ship battles and I was a little put off by how ship-to-ship battles in this show seem to be "one shot takes the whole thing out," I realize they don't have much of a place in this show given the massive scope of each battle.

I've managed to watch it mostly spoiler-free, but I've had a few big things spoiled for me by Wikipedia and inadvertently (sometimes not so inadvertently... drat temptation) mousing-over blacked out text. Still, a lot of the fun is in seeing how something unfolds, even if you know it happens already. A couple things I wanted to comment on:

Ep. 26: The death of Kircheis. This struck me as the moment where everything really changes; it sets Reinhard on a path that I expect he's unable to move away from by the time the end of the series rolled around. Granted, I haven't seen that far, but the whole thing seems very Shakespearean. It took me by total surprise, too--I figured Kircheis had to die at some point, just due to dramatic convention, but I didn't think it would come so soon.

I liked the relatively understated relationship between Kircheis and Annerose. It was obvious, but no one really came out and said anything about it until Reinhard asked her point-blank if she had been in love with him. His directness about it surprised me.

On "where are the females," I was thinking that myself when I first started watching it... and it still holds true, later in the series. Some of this is excused by the Empire in particular obviously being very patriarchal, but it's surprising to me that there are so few female officers in the Alliance. So far it's Frederica and that's... about it. I do like Hilda a fair bit, though. Ep 26+ spoiler: I think in some ways she takes Kircheis' place in terms of watching out for Reinhard. She can't fill his shoes, but she tries, and I like her character for that.

And a special thanks if anyone reading this thread was the one who seeded the theme collection torrent the other day. I decided I had to have the Imperial Anthem waaay back from watching the part in ep 2. where it's played while the Thor Hammer is fired, but given the relative obscurity of this series and my inability to read Japanese I didn't think I'd ever find it.

I'm trying to pace myself with the episodes so that when I eventually catch up, the subs will be further along (I ran into this problem watching Monster, marathonned my way into the 60s and then stopped... for a looong time... until the groups released new episodes) but drat, it's difficult.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
EDIT: Sorry, thought 84 was new for some dumb reason.