Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Swivel Master
Oct 10, 2004

Floating in much the same way that bricks don't.

Holla Allah posted:

This may not be the place, but I'm having bad luck finding a roommate on Craigslist (maybe it's the price?). I have a room available in a two bedroom in lower haight for $1045 a month. PM me if you are interested and not insane.

That's a lot. It better be a nice place! I've got a room in a four bedroom two story house in Pacifica for 733 a month.. I'm happy here, even though I have to drive a few minutes to get anywhere interesting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Debbie Metallica
Jun 7, 2001

Holla Allah- must be a nice place, the price might be what's scaring away people. :(

What's on fire here in the city? I woke up and it smells like there's a pretty big fire. So much for all those warnings about the strong winds- they were saying we'd be in big trouble if any brushfire started anywhere.

TrueClash
Dec 22, 2003
I put cocaine in a little girl's rubber ducky

Holla Allah posted:

This may not be the place, but I'm having bad luck finding a roommate on Craigslist (maybe it's the price?). I have a room available in a two bedroom in lower haight for $1045 a month. PM me if you are interested and not insane.

Had I seen this before taking a 2 month sublet in south Berkeley today, and the rent was more in the range of 800, I would be very down.

giraffe party
Jul 11, 2006
do you live near andre nickatina?

Bullet Ant
May 28, 2005

Ozma posted:

Holla Allah- must be a nice place, the price might be what's scaring away people. :(

What's on fire here in the city? I woke up and it smells like there's a pretty big fire. So much for all those warnings about the strong winds- they were saying we'd be in big trouble if any brushfire started anywhere.

I didn't notice anything today. Then again, I was smoking like a chimney throughout most of the afternoon and night.

Mr_Companie
Jul 4, 2003

ARE YOU INTERESTED IN AN EXCITING BUISNESS OPPROTUNITY?
Fremont goon checking in.

I was thinking about attending the academy of art for illustration. Can anybody tell me about their experiences there?

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Mr_Companie posted:

I was thinking about attending the academy of art for illustration. Can anybody tell me about their experiences there?
It's a general rule of the universe that art schools that advertise during Adult Swim aren't known for their quality. The quality of instruction is probably the same that you'd get at a CSU school for 8x the price. If you have the time/money you can check out the SF Art Institute and CCA for real art school.

Unled
May 24, 2001

Mr_Companie posted:

Don't listen to Qirex, he's misinformed.

I'm in my fourth year at the Academy for animation and I feel like the education you get there is pretty darn good.
It is drat expensive and if you can take any liberal arts classes elsewhere do so, you'll save a lot of money. (if you're going for a bachelors)
I can't speak for the illustration dept since I'm not in it, but the work I see coming out of there is really amazing top notch stuff. The great thing about the illustration dept is the workshops you can attend. These are completely free and open to any academy student, you can go talk to teachers, and there are models so you can do some figure drawing and network with other students.
As far as my department, if you stick to it and really focus on your work you'll definitely go places. I know alumni working at all the big shot places around SF now, Dreamworks, The Orphanage, Pixar, ILM, EA, Massive Black etc.. My buddy who's in modeling just got a callback from WETA and he still has a year to go in school.
Some of the teachers are hit and miss, but there's also some really great teachers that have helped me advance my skills. I just got into the Pixar 1 animation class which is a night class taught by Pixar animators and it's really pushing things to the next level.

Stay away from the SF Art Institute as it's a joke and even more expensive than the academy.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

So all the people I know who work at most of the places you mentioned [DWA, ILM, Orphanage, EA, etc.] who didn't go to a for-profit art school are suckers? Because they're the ones telling your friends what to do all day. I live around the corner from their main campus and while I don't doubt that they're throwing all the cash they can at the 3D and animation the work I see from their more traditional [graphic design, web design, photography, fine art] grads and students is pretty sub-par. They're really, really good at convincing their students [and typically their parents as well] of the value though.

Any creative education is basically a multiplier against your effort. Anyone who has a lot of skill and a ton of motivation can get ahead but if it's worth the money is another matter. Illustration is a very, very different field than 3D stuff, you don't get salaried work and you need the time and experience to develop a style. Whether you need to pay 30 grand a year during that developmental period or not is up to you.

Plus there's no way I could ever feel good about giving a place with ads that annoying a dime.

Unled
May 24, 2001

qirex posted:

So all the people I know who work at most of the places you mentioned [DWA, ILM, Orphanage, EA, etc.] who didn't go to a for-profit art school are suckers? Because they're the ones telling your friends what to do all day. I live around the corner from their main campus and while I don't doubt that they're throwing all the cash they can at the 3D and animation the work I see from their more traditional [graphic design, web design, photography, fine art] grads and students is pretty sub-par. They're really, really good at convincing their students [and typically their parents as well] of the value though.

Any creative education is basically a multiplier against your effort. Anyone who has a lot of skill and a ton of motivation can get ahead but if it's worth the money is another matter. Illustration is a very, very different field than 3D stuff, you don't get salaried work and you need the time and experience to develop a style. Whether you need to pay 30 grand a year during that developmental period or not is up to you.

Plus there's no way I could ever feel good about giving a place with ads that annoying a dime.

No I never said 'people that didn't go to a for-profit art school and are working in the industry are suckers'. Why would you even imply that I said anything like that?
I was just trying to point out the benefits I find from the school I'm attending. There are plenty of downsides to this school no doubt, but overall it's been worth it to me.
Also I would agree with you that the graphic design and web departments are probably some of the weaker at the school, the fine art and sculpture work I've seen is pretty nice though, do you go to the spring show when the school has it?
Like you said, school is what you put into it, no doubt about it. Going to an art school is not going to automatically make you better, and there are a lot of people at the school with that kind of attitude. But don't judge it because of the lame commercials (seriously, they're embarrassing).

ArmyGroup303
Apr 10, 2004

If this were real life, I would have piloted this helicopter with you still in it.

Ozma posted:

A bit late in the game to say this, but there is/was a brushfire in Napa.

Deficient
May 31, 2003

Klaaaaaaymen, up heeere!
Goddamn, I just moved to Oakland about a week ago and this thread has been informative to the point where I really can't think of any questions to ask. I just wanted to cross-post my goonmeet thread here if any of you fine goons and goonettes would like to meet up and show me around. There's also going to be a Rockridge Bar Hop event happening in the near future that I'm apparently organizing, so check it out if you're into that kind of stuff.

Machine Gun
Aug 22, 2006

what a fucking nightmare
Any Silicon Valley goons up in here? I would be suprised if there isn't because the Valley is like the physical epicenter of the internet.

ArmyGroup303
Apr 10, 2004

If this were real life, I would have piloted this helicopter with you still in it.

Best Friend posted:

Any Silicon Valley goons up in here? I would be suprised if there isn't because the Valley is like the physical epicenter of the internet.

Soon to be here. Moving from Palo Alto to San Jose.

Rawr.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Deficient posted:

Goddamn, I just moved to Oakland about a week ago and this thread has been informative to the point where I really can't think of any questions to ask. I just wanted to cross-post my goonmeet thread here if any of you fine goons and goonettes would like to meet up and show me around. There's also going to be a Rockridge Bar Hop event happening in the near future that I'm apparently organizing, so check it out if you're into that kind of stuff.

Your goon-meet thread seems to be a myspace page :confused:

I like the music though

The Sheriff Jake
May 8, 2006
Anyone going to the sharks game tonight? Or just any sharks games in the season. If so hit me up on aim (sn in the profile) and I will let you buy me a hot dog at the game.

frunksock
Feb 21, 2002

I moved out here about a month ago, and I've got a place in Western Addition, a block off Alamo Square. Today, for some reason, I can hear what sounds like every single jet being routed like 15ft above my building, but I never heard that before today. The sky gets torn in half every 2 to 3 minutes. Is it because of weather, or do they rotate the approach path throughout the year to be fair to all the neighborhoods, or what?

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

It's Fleet Week. Those are either the Blue Angels or other Navy jets (I've heard them but its too cloudy to see) practicing for this weekend.

frunksock
Feb 21, 2002

Earwicker posted:

It's Fleet Week. Those are either the Blue Angels or other Navy jets (I've heard them but its too cloudy to see) practicing for this weekend.
Oh cool. I just went from mildly annoyed to :patriot:

The Duck Is Back!
Sep 19, 2005
HOW I MINE FOR FISH??

Earwicker posted:

D'ya think I could see them from a high place in Berkeley, assuming the weather clears up, or is that just too far away?

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

The Duck Is Back! posted:

D'ya think I could see them from a high place in Berkeley, assuming the weather clears up, or is that just too far away?

I don't think they fly over to the east bay that much but maybe they do. I've been on the Bay Bridge when they buzzed it once which was kinda scary.

Bullet Ant
May 28, 2005

Earwicker posted:

I don't think they fly over to the east bay that much but maybe they do. I've been on the Bay Bridge when they buzzed it once which was kinda scary.

I'm pretty sure they're just doing loops over my house over and over again.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Do you live in my office?!

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Anyone going to the Alzheimer's Walk on Treasure Island this weekend? Not that I'll have a chance to do anything but hang out with my family, but still.

Bullet Ant
May 28, 2005

Earwicker posted:

Do you live in my office?!

Is your office in my apartment?!

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Apparently not, they seem to have gone away

Machine Gun
Aug 22, 2006

what a fucking nightmare
All the jets that fly from Moffet go over my house.

Deficient
May 31, 2003

Klaaaaaaymen, up heeere!

Earwicker posted:

Your goon-meet thread seems to be a myspace page :confused:

I like the music though

Uhm, yeah, oops. Stupid clipboard. Anywho, here's the real thread.

Blooot
Mar 19, 2001

Hey SF types!

I've got a job lead in Palo Alto -- is it reasonable to live in SF proper and work there? I have heard there is a train (Cal Train) that goes between. Is driving totally out of the question? Are there any cool places to live that are near PA? By cool I mean nice restaraunts, indie boutiques, cool bars, art galleries and the like (think hipsters).

thanks!

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Well there are plenty of people who commute from SF to Palo Alto and vice versa but I wouldn't want to drive that every day. If you are taking 280 it might be bearable but if you take 101 it will be a nightmare - I guess it depends on what part of Palo Alto you'll be working in. Caltrain would be a better option IMO. As for other palces to live, it's been a while since I lived down in that area, but Palo Alto is pretty much a college town and it's got a few decent bars and some good bookstores and such, and Mountain View (just south of Palo Alto) has a lot of great restaurants and a couple decent bars as well.

The Duck Is Back!
Sep 19, 2005
HOW I MINE FOR FISH??
The Palo Alto area is pretty drat boring. Mostly, it's infested with Stanford students, and kids from the local high schools trying to act like Stanford students.

Mountain View is marginally better. It contains a real movie theater and an amphitheater, which often features cool concerts. Castro (the main big street downtown) has a decent variety of restaurants, but the bars have really gone downhill from their former "splendor."

Either way, you're living in a suburb, and can expect conditions typical of one. The problem is that San Francisco is the nearest place to live that's really urban, and the commute on 101 is horrid beyond all description. 280 is a much nicer drive, faster, and less crowded, but areas around various ramps (such as the junction to go over the hill to the coast) have been known turn into a parking lot at rush hour. It's just not a fun commute.

I recommend living closer to your job and then traveling more for excitement, unless you're the kind of person who wants to go out and party six nights a week.

Blooot
Mar 19, 2001

I just read this whole thread, and living in SF proper is really the only place where I would want to be. Also, my GF would most likely be getting a job in the financial district -- so living in the burbs wouldn't make much sense. I guess the real question would be, where should I look for a place? SOMA seems like a good bet, being clost to the Cal train and the 280, which would at least give me options? The place in PA is just SE of Stanford.

Probably would like to keep rent under $2k/month. Prefer gritty over polished as far as hoods go. I also will have 2 cars, one is fair weather only and NEEDS to be parked inside. I know parking will be a bitch, but are some neighbourhoods better than others?

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

well I work in SoMa, it's kind of strange - parts of it are very high cost and fancy, parts of it are ghetto as gently caress and rather sketchy. I guess a lot of SF is like this but in SoMa this tendency is exagerrated for some reason. Parts of it are definitely becoming very trendy so I would think that prices are going up pretty quick, though I haven't looked at the housing market in a while.

I've worked in the neighborhood for a few years now and it's changing faster than any other neighborhood in the city as far as I can tell, there's a lot of construction and remodelling going on all over the neighborhood and there is a big city-run redevelopment plan that basically encompasses the region from 5th to 7th streets from Market down to Harrison, which has traditionally been pretty bad. You don't want to live on 6th street, especially. The rest of it is mostly fine (if you don't mind occasional sketchiness) but again, prices are most likely going up quick. One of the perks is that there is defitely a lot of stuff to do in the neighborhood, lots of cool bars and some great music venues. And yeah it's great if you want to get on Caltrain.

There's also Potrero Hill, again parts of it are sketchy and parts of it aren't, but I think it'd be a little more affordable. There's a Caltrain stop there, on 22nd street and Iowa I think - unfortunately some trains don't stop there. And it's also close to 280. However there isn't quite as much going on as in other neighborhoods, its much more residential though there are some cool restaurants and some cool artist commune type places where you can find some good shows being put on every now and again. Also it's pretty easy to commute to the Financial District from there.

I live in the Mission, which again is a mix of nice and sketchy bits, and I take BART to work. Getting to the Financial District is easy. 101 is close by but you'll have to go through Potrero to get to 280 - it's not that far though, you can just take Cesar Chavez right there. Getting the the Caltrain station would take a little longer - my girlfriend takes the train down the peninsula pretty often and she always takes BART to Millbrae and then switches, which is kind of a pain. So it might not be the best neighborhood for you based on your commute, but other than that it's a great place to live, a ton of awesome, cheap food - and it's a great place to be if you like to cook - and a lot of cool bars and clubs and cafes and bookstores and such as well.

In the Mission and Portrero you should be able to find a place with parking under 2K no problem. In SoMa it'll probably be a bit harder unless it's in one of the bad parts.

Also I forgot to mention, when you are commuting to Palo Alto or that area in general, stay away from the Alpine Rd. exit it sucks. Although I think Page Mill Rd. is closer to where you'll be working anyway.

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Oct 10, 2006

Blooot
Mar 19, 2001

Earwicker posted:

Great info.

Thanks for the great info. Page Mills Rd would be the exit. What would be a normal amount of time to do this drive in the morning/afternoon? Is it reverse commuting, or is there just traffic everywhere?

I've visited SF a bunch of times and really like the Mission, so that is an option for sure. Is it possible to rent a place with a proper garage there in my price range? That would be kick-rear end.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Well I guess it depends on what you mean by "proper garage". My apartment is $1300, it's quite spacious and includes a garage, but it's a large garage shared by everyone in the building and there are two metal doors that are operated by remotes - the doors don't close automatically, however, and sometimes people forget to close them so things get stolen out of the garage every once in a while.

As for commute time, I don't really know as I haven't driven from SF to Palo Alto during commuting hours in years. If it's not commuting time it'll be 30-40 minutes or so, but I imagine during traffic it could be over an hour. In my experience though you don't get really bad jams on 280 the way you do on 101...

Blooot
Mar 19, 2001

Earwicker posted:

Well I guess it depends on what you mean by "proper garage". My apartment is $1300, it's quite spacious and includes a garage, but it's a large garage shared by everyone in the building and there are two metal doors that are operated by remotes - the doors don't close automatically, however, and sometimes people forget to close them so things get stolen out of the garage every once in a while.

As for commute time, I don't really know as I haven't driven from SF to Palo Alto during commuting hours in years. If it's not commuting time it'll be 30-40 minutes or so, but I imagine during traffic it could be over an hour. In my experience though you don't get really bad jams on 280 the way you do on 101...

By proper garage I mean my own door and space that I don't have to share. Looking on Craigslist, it looks like a real possibility. :cool:

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Yeah there are a lot of buildings around in the Mission that seem like they have actual private garages but they also look like they are more expensive and tend to house families.

Kobalt
Mar 19, 2003

Blooot posted:

SF to Palo Alto/Page Mill Rd.

Commute times will vary heavily depending what time it is and which route.

101 to Oregon Expressway (Which becomes Page Mill after El Camino)
In the morning between 7:30-10:00, expect traffic heading south, especially once approach Hwy 92 and beyond. (You'll approach Hwy 85 but wont pass it. And it's a mess.)

Returning on 101 is a nightmare as you approach 92, and through the Burlingame/Millbrae area. Expect to not move. Traffic usually moves until you hit Silver Ave near SF. Expect stopped traffic until the Bay Bridge.

Estimated commute time: 1 hour - 90 minutes. No traffic: ~30 mins.

280 to Page Mill
280 is kind of a windy back freeway. Slightly more dangerous because of it's curves, fog and speed. But, the speed is there because traffic is generally light on 280 and rarely backs up.

Estimated commute time: ~ 35-50 minutes.

Caltrain: Get off at the California St. station if you can and find a way to work from there. Or, Stanford station, but it's farther away. The California St. Station is often skipped during commute hours because of the express trains.

Estimated commute time: ~ 30 minutes and about $5.

www.511.org is a confusing, but helpful planner.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Kobalt posted:

Caltrain: Get off at the California St. station if you can and find a way to work from there. Or, Stanford station, but it's farther away. The California St. Station is often skipped during commute hours because of the express trains.

Estimated commute time: ~ 30 minutes and about $5.

Unless someone jumps in front of a train, which happens more frequently than you'd think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

What is it with Caltrain anyway? The system seems a whole lot better run than BART, and I understand it's not even bleeding money.

• Locked thread