Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Debbie Metallica
Jun 7, 2001

adistler1 posted:

You've piqued my curiosity. My wife is applying to both CCA and SFAI for graduate studies in Illustration. I don't think it's a good idea. It just seems too risky ( we own a house in Nashville and she has a great job), but she says she needs to do it. What are your complaints with these schools? I know the expenses are pretty gratutious and probably by far outweigh anything you could hope for in a salaried position.

I've sent you a PM that is most likely unhelpful and most probably falls under the tl;dr category but I thought I'd give you a little bit of a response as far as CCA is concerned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hopelessStoner
Sep 18, 2000

by Lowtax

Sabacc posted:

How can I go from San Francisco to Santa Cruz using public transit (trains etc)?

I do not own a car, but I suppose CityCarShare COULD suffice.
It's kind of a bitch really. There are no rails going over the mountains, so you have to finish the trip by bus. I'd take the Caltrain to San Jose, and then catch a bus from the station. There is a hwy 17 express that's run by Santa Cruz Metro, it's ok. Alternatively, you can catch an Amtrak bus for $4 that comes more often and is more comfortable/faster, and has fewer stops. Either way, it'll take a while, and got help you if you're doing a round trip same day.

nyquil
May 1, 2003

crackrocksteady posted:

All right, so I may have a fairly cush job waiting for me in Oakland, and an offer to house-sit for an extended period of time in Walnut Creek. Wikipedia and the city's info have been a bit lacking in concrete information for me, so I'm wondering if some of the Walnut Creek goons can shed some light on some questions I've got:

1. Coming from Santa Cruz, I'm a big fan of hiking, mountain biking, and general outdoorsy adventures. Can I find that in WC?
2. What's the youth population like? I'm 22, and I don't know a single person in the area. I'm not too into clubs, and I hate going to bars by myself. Where do you guys go to meet people?
3. What are the political overtones of the area? I'm a dyed-in-the-wool lefty myself, and I don't think I'd fit in too well in what passes for a junior red state.
4. Is there anything else you can think of that I should know or consider before I accept or decline this job and the housesitting gig?

I skimmed through the thread and didn't see a whole lot of definitive info on Walnut Creek. Contact info's in the profile if anyone wants to get in touch with me. Thanks!

I live in Berkeley but I drive to Walnut Creek every day and every time I do, it feels like I just stepped into the midwest. Alot whole fuckton of Christian highschools (I think about 3 or 4 in total). Lots of suburbs, lots of WASPs, lots of soccer moms in SUVs. It's a really nice area, though, and fairly wealthy so chances are the house you'd be staying will be pretty upscale.

Anyways, regarding your question about outdoors, I don't know first hand but I have been told numerous times that Marin county is the place for that. From Walnut Creek, it would probably take about an hour to get out there without traffic, so it's a bit of a trip. However, you shouldn't rule it out as an option.

nyquil fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Nov 28, 2006

supper time
May 24, 2002

What is maths?

Sabacc posted:

How can I go from San Francisco to Santa Cruz using public transit (trains etc)?

I do not own a car, but I suppose CityCarShare COULD suffice.

craigslist rideshare

Fixer
Sep 18, 2004
Fuck Gears. Fuck Coasting.

Holla Allah posted:

Is there a website that has up to date listings of all the shows (small and large) throughout the city?

I've been going through the onion and weekly, but I figure with all the tech geeks this city has...

http://jon.luini.com/thelist/date.html

Problem solved.

EDIT: Beaten like a $2 Hunter's Point whore.

nyquil
May 1, 2003

Kobalt posted:

Stay out of Hunter's Point.

One time, my friend lost his cellphone when we were walking around the city drunk. He called his number the next day to see if anybody picked it up, and sure enough some guy named Robert answers. They talk a little and finally decide to meet up at a drugstore in Hunter's Point, where our new buddy Robert happens to be from! We ask him what he looks like so we can identify him, etc., and he goes, "Nigga, DON'T WORRY! You'll know who I am, I'm da one witta eyepatch."

:confused:

We laughed about that for a good while. We just chalked it up to insanity, and prepared ourselves for a crazy hobo. After driving about an hour we finally got to the meeting location, so my friend calls Robert and tells him we're here. He responds, "Yea nigga I'm jus comin' round da corner" and a couple seconds after that, we see scrawny black man who looks like he hasn't shaved in years, sporting an eye-patch over his left eye, and driving a loving steam-roller. It really took me a while to grasp the absurdity of our situation.

nyquil fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Nov 28, 2006

zonacat
Jan 13, 2005
can anyone help me out with a traffic question or two.

sorry to bump this from so far away but i remembered it was here somewhere.

I am moving up to the area in a couple of weeks from SoCal. I will be going to work about half the time in San Leandro and the other half to the Oakland Airport. I found a place to live near SFSU because I figured there would be more going on in SF than near where I work and that's what I was looking for. Someone also told me that I would be going against the heaviest traffic because I would be leaving the city in the morning and coming back at night.

I already found a back way through the city to bypass 101 and get to the last entrance before the Bay Bridge for the morning, though it was the weekend and I'm not sure how bad traffic might be through the city on the weekday mornings. I'm more concerned with how bad its going to be to get back across the bridge in the afternoon/evening. Is it really that bad? I'm used to SoCal commutes so I figure it can't be much worse.

I was also reading somewhere about some carpool thing where people line up waiting for rides across the bridge and you go pick them up and take them in order to go through the carpool lanes and avoid the tolls. Is this something some weirdo with a website made up or does this actually happen? is it a viable option? Anything to save some time and $4 a day in tolls would be worth it as long as I'm not going to get carjacked or something.

I could take the BART also, its a 45 minute bus/train ride, but it's $8 a day roundtrip, I'm trying to figure out if driving would be cheaper and not take too much longer

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

If you drive from SFSU to San Leandro you're going to be hating life. With the Bay Bridge construction and the general poo poo East Bay traffic you're way better off on BART.

altazakin
Aug 2, 2004

So you're not that special. Welcome to the human race!
Well, you're kinda going the opposite way that most everyone else is, so you have that going for you (more people commute from East Bay to SF in the am and back in the pm). It will be easier than the other way around but I don't think it'll be **much** easier.

Keep in mind that driving will also give you a three dollar bridge toll on your way home. The toll is what will give you the traffic nightmare. You will have to get a fasttrak thingy to make getting through the tolls easier. ( http://511.org/ )

Personally, I absolutely would not drive. OAK and San Leandro both have BART stops, so I would take BART and spend that 45 minutes reading or doing something fun. When I lived in San Leandro (way back during the tech boom, was the only place I could get), and when I lived in Concord, I took my laptop with me and watched movies on the commute to SF, it was cool. Much much much better than driving, oh man. Plus I drive a standard and sitting in traffic and messing with my clutch is like the least fun thing to do, I hate it. My company gives me commuter checks up to about $120 so that was plus.

I suppose you could also check in to going around south, and going through San Mateo using 92. I have no idea if that will save you any time or not, just an idea.

There are also ways to rideshare, check http://511.org/ for info.

Oh, one more point. To get to OAK via BART you will have to take a $2 shuttle, both ways. And check the BART station you'll be using if you plan to drive to it, there may be a parking charge. Daly City? $2 a day. Your total BART costs if you park there, and need the shuttle to the airport and back, will be about $14. I still wouldn't drive. I'd find a way to bike to Daly City BART (if that's the one near you, I think it may be). Welcome to life in SF...

Major kudos for not living in San Leandro. That place is utter hell.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Honestly you might want to reconsider where you are going to live if its not too late. Your commute is going to be long and costly no matter how you do it.

Oakland however still has stuff going on and its easy to get to SF for a night out, and you can also get to San Leandro much faster and cheaper.

altazakin
Aug 2, 2004

So you're not that special. Welcome to the human race!
True! Lake Merrit area is wonderful and you'd be close to everything you need. Including SF!

the symbolic
Jan 1, 2005

baaaaaaaaaaad news

zonacat posted:

I am moving up to the area in a couple of weeks from SoCal. I will be going to work about half the time in San Leandro and the other half to the Oakland Airport. I found a place to live near SFSU because I figured there would be more going on in SF than near where I work and that's what I was looking for. Someone also told me that I would be going against the heaviest traffic because I would be leaving the city in the morning and coming back at night.

I already found a back way through the city to bypass 101 and get to the last entrance before the Bay Bridge for the morning, though it was the weekend and I'm not sure how bad traffic might be through the city on the weekday mornings. I'm more concerned with how bad its going to be to get back across the bridge in the afternoon/evening. Is it really that bad? I'm used to SoCal commutes so I figure it can't be much worse.

I do something like this right now. It's not much fun, but it's not absolutely terrible and for me it's cheaper & faster than the muni-bart-ac transit alternative. It takes me about 40 minutes each way, but I go at off-peak hours and I live closer to the bridge.

And since this thread is back, where are the SF goons ordering pizza from these days? the place that I ordered from in my youth appears to be gone.

zonacat
Jan 13, 2005
thanks for all the info so quick. I'll probably just do the BART thing for a while and see how it goes, maybe drive once or twice but I'm sure I'll get tired of that if its that bad.

I'm locked into the place at least to move in, it was like the only affordable place I could find on short notice living so far away, and I feel I should stay for a little while. if I absolutely can't stand it, i'm not signing a lease so once I get up there so it should be easier to figure out the best place.

thanks again

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Also, consider that the San Leandro BART station is not near much of anything and it might end up being some distance from your office. In this case, taking a bike on BART is likely the easiest way. I did this for some time over last summer, taking BART in and biking into the San Leandro wasteland. It's not pleasant (took me around an hour from Berkeley) but it's probably better than taking the bus.

King Abe
Feb 29, 2004

How are you? You have been in Afghanistan, I perceive.

spiderguard posted:

And since this thread is back, where are the SF goons ordering pizza from these days? the place that I ordered from in my youth appears to be gone.

I and many of my cohorts choose CyBella's for all our pizza ordering needs. I can't think of any place better for delivery these days.

Mr. Sleep
Aug 2, 2003

North Beach Pizza is also good, with plenty of locations throughout the city to boot.

frunksock
Feb 21, 2002

I don't know if they deliver, but I get take out from Little Star, and their deep dish is loving awesome.

not even troll irl
Aug 25, 2006

by Lowtax
alright!

so i'm going to be there the 14th through the 18th. I'm staying on ellis street the first night, and basically everyone's told me I'd be hard pressed to not accidentally trip over a good time in that part of town. Anything interesting going on this weekend?

Restaurants I can't miss? Bars?

Debbie Metallica
Jun 7, 2001

not even troll irl posted:

Restaurants I can't miss?

What kind of food do you like, typically?

not even troll irl
Aug 25, 2006

by Lowtax

Ozma posted:

What kind of food do you like, typically?

i am not lying when i say that i'm more than willing to try anything a handful of times before i give up on it. ethnically i like indian and african food the most i guess but i like anything spicy. i hate my mouth and try to kill it with hot hot hot foods.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

i am not lying when i say that i'm more than willing to try anything a handful of times before i give up on it. ethnically i like indian and african food the most i guess but i like anything spicy. i hate my mouth and try to kill it with hot hot hot foods.

For Indian:

There's a really good, but a little too chic south Indian place called Dosa on Valencia and 21st. Great food but you have to wait a while most nights.

There's also Rasoi on Valencia, I think down by 20th or 19th, it's north Indian, also very well done, and really cool decor in the restaurant.

Pakwan on 16th st. between Valencia and Guerrero is one of my favorites. Nothing fancy, this place is fast and cheap but the food is excellent.

New Delhi restaurant is downtownish, next to the Hotel Nikko, I think that's on Eddy. This place has a very wierd vibe, because the only people that are in there usually are hotel guests, and it's really big. But don't let the kind of awkward atmosphere set you off because the food is incredible.

Chaat Cafe on 3rd between Folsom and Harrison is great Indian fusion, they have chicken tikka wraps and pesto naan and stuff like that. Great food, but the people that work there can be assholes. There's another location in Berkeley, and the people there are much nicer.

There are a ton of Indian place in SF - and even more in the east bay - but those are the ones that stick out in my head.

African:

Bissap Baobap is Senegalese food, they have two locations - one on Mission between 20th and 21st, and a smaller "annex" on 20th street behind the Beauty Bar. It's pretty good, but nothing extraordinary. Nothing I've had there was very spicy

Axum is a great Ethiopian place on Haight and... I think.. Pierce. Or maybe Scott. Anyway if you go the Lower Haight it's fairly easy to find. Some of the best Ethiopian food in the Bay Area, nice and spicy, great friendly staff, interesting Ethiopian beer. Unfortunately I tried to go last month and they were closed for remodeling but they might be open again now so its worth checking out.

The best African food I've had in the Bay Area though was in some little place I can't remember the name of, but it was on Univeristy Ave. in Berkely kind of near downtown. It's West African food, mainly from Ghana, really excellent and cheap too.

There are a shitload of Ethiopian and Eritrean places up and down Telegraph Ave. in Oakland in the 40's and 50's as well.

For some other really awesome spicy food, I highly recommend both Me Lindo Yucatan, a Yucatanean specialty place on 15th and Valencia. And also Bahia, which is a sort of southern Mexican and Salvadoran inspired place. That's on 22nd between Mission and Valencia. I went there with a Sri Lankan family (who are well accustomed to spiciness) and they were all overwhelmed by how hot the food was at this place, you should love it.

minya
Sep 7, 2004

SUN RA WAS HERE IN HIS ELEMENT
he invited me back for a ride
for Indian I'd go to Pakwan or Gaylord's in Ghirardelli Square if you want to be a baller.

San Francisco has incredible Thai food. I really, really like the Thai place in the lobby of a hotel on Cyril Magnin, a few blocks away from Union Square. The restaurant is called Siam Thai and it is fantastic. Lunch is $6-8.

If you're a morning guy, make sure to take MUNI or BART into the Mission and go to Tartine on the corner of Valencia.. and... and what? er wait maybe it's not even on Valencia.. Earwicker, help me out here. Wait in line for 15 minutes, order a morning bun and whatever other pastry you want, and then get a latte. Sit and eat the best pastries you will ever have. Enjoy.

also if you like music make sure to stop by Aquarius Records, on Valencia between 22nd and 23rd

minya fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Dec 13, 2006

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

minya posted:

San Francisco has incredible Thai food. I really, really like the Thai place in the lobby of a hotel on Cyril Magnin, a few blocks away from Union Square. The restaurant is called Siam Thai and it is fantastic. Lunch is $6-8.

Yeah there's good Thai in almost every neighborhood, but my personal favorite by far is Them Phenom in the Lower Height. It is a little expensive but it's definitely worth it.

quote:

If you're a morning guy, make sure to take MUNI or BART into the Mission and go to Tartine on the corner of Valencia.. and... and what? er wait maybe it's not even on Valencia.. Earwicker, help me out here. Wait in line for 15 minutes, order a morning bun and whatever other pastry you want, and then get a latte. Sit and eat the best pastries you will ever have. Enjoy.

Tartine is on 18th and Guerrero. But show up early if you want a chance of actually sitting down there, that place is insanely crowded, especially on weekends. The pastries are loving awesome though.

I also just found out last weekened that the place right across from Tartine, called Platanos or something similar, is also an awesome breakfast/lunch spot. It's mostly Salvadoran food with some other Latin cuisine mixed in, the make the papusas fresh when you order them, there's amazing guacamole with plantain chips, and a really good fish and scallop ceviche.

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Dec 13, 2006

minya
Sep 7, 2004

Earwicker posted:

Yeah there's good Thai in almost every neighborhood, but my personal favorite by far is Them Phenom in the Lower Height. It is a little expensive but it's definitely worth it.

Tartine is on 18th and Guerrero. But show up early if you want a chance of actually sitting down there, that place is insanely crowded, especially on weekends. The pastries are loving awesome though.

I also just found out last weekened that the place right across from Tartine, called Platanos or something similar, is also an awesome breakfast/lunch spot. It's mostly Salvadoran food with some other Latin cuisine mixed in, the make the papusas fresh when you order them, there's amazing guacamole with plantain chips, and a really good fish and scallop ceviche.
ok yeah - 18th and Guerrero for Tartine. It is worth it, even if you have to eat outside. How much is Them Phenom? And where is it exactly? Got any other recommendations for awesome Thai places, especially for lunch?

I went to a faux-restaurant (mostly a tapas bar) called Platanos in the Mission a while ago. My dad is Colombian so we were going there in the hopes that it would have some sort of Colombian cuisine (this was before the Colombian place down on Valencia at like 24th opened up) but it didn't and I hated it :shobon:

most of the ritzy Latin places grate on my nerves. they're so trendy it hurts. kinda like those sushi joints that advertise how "zen" they are.

Jibba Jabba
Aug 27, 2003

FUTURE
DEAD
PERSON

Earwicker posted:

I love this place so very much. It's pretty much impossible to get a seat on the weekends, but if you're a semi-employed slacker like me you can find a spot to hole up with the buttery pastries (the best croissants I have ever had, and many others) without too much difficulty on a weekday morning.

not even troll irl
Aug 25, 2006

by Lowtax
thanks for the suggestions guys, i really appreciate it

Any word on bars? Where I'm from I'm accustomed to dives and I'd rather have somewhere dark with lots of wood than somewhere with flashing lights and thumping music.

minya
Sep 7, 2004

Any word on bars? Where I'm from I'm accustomed to dives and I'd rather have somewhere dark with lots of wood than somewhere with flashing lights and thumping music.
you can go to the DNA Lounge and irc at one of the terminals while you're clubbing and drinking :keke:

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Tartine is good but there's a French bakery on Fillmore at I think Sutter that I think has better pastries. It's not as scene as Tartine but they remind me more of what I got in Paris.

If you're staying on Elllis downtown there's a few good bars like Rye [Geary & Leavenworth] and the Red Room [Sutter & Jones] that straddle the line between chill and trendy. If you want true dive bars check out the High Tide or Chelsea Place. Slightly less lovely but still funky places include The Owl Tree and The Summer Place.

qirex fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Dec 13, 2006

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

minya posted:

ok yeah - 18th and Guerrero for Tartine. It is worth it, even if you have to eat outside. How much is Them Phenom? And where is it exactly? Got any other recommendations for awesome Thai places, especially for lunch?

Them Phenom is more of a dinner place, it's on Fillmore and Waller. I don't remember the prices off of my head I just remember it being rather pricey but goddamn is the food good. Especially the steak salad dish, the papaya salad, and the catfish.

For more lunch oriented places there's Cha Am on Folsom between 3rd and 4th, which is also a bit expensive but also quite good - and they own a lovely fast food version of themselves over on 4th and Howard if you just want some greasy rear end chicken or something.

There's also a nice place, I forgot the name, but it's right next to Tad's Steakhouse in that Powell area. Not too expensive and the food - especially the BBQ dishes - is awesome.

There's also this wierd place over in downtown Oakland kind of behind the YMCA. It's always empty when I go there, but I think it's a big weekday lunch spot for downtown Oakland workers. The bbq chicken is awesome.

I mostly go to the Phone Booth which is on South Van Ness and 25th, and also the Latin American Club on 22nd near Valencia. Not exactly dives but they aren't flashy either, just nice mellow places to hang out and drink. I go to Amnesia a lot too but thats more of a place to see music than a place to just have a drink. Still a great spot though.

Jibba Jabba
Aug 27, 2003

FUTURE
DEAD
PERSON

thanks for the suggestions guys, i really appreciate it

Noc-Noc is a nice little hole in the lower Haight; it's all black and cave-like inside, and while the music tends to be loud, it's more hipster-friendly than boom-tisk.

And two doors down is the Toronado bar, which has the best selection of beer known to mankind.

Jibba Jabba fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Dec 13, 2006

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Jibba Jabba posted:

And two doors down is the Toronado bar, which has the best selection of beer known to mankind.

The best thing about that bar is that you can go get sausages at that place next door (they are amazing) and then bring them into the bar and eat them with a nice huge belgian beer

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Thai places I like:
Osha Thai - you can go to the trendy overpriced one in the Mission or the cheaper one in the Loin [Geary & Leavenworth] with 3 times as many things on the menu. My favortie things there are the Mint Leaf with meat and the fried rice.

King of Thai Noodle - there's a bunch of these now but they aren't all the same. The newer ones don't bring the heat like they should. They're all good but the one at Geary & Mason and the ones on Clement are the best IMO. My favorites there are the Pad Kee Mao [#17] and the Pad Gra Prow.

That place next to Tad's on Powell is good because it has insanely fast service and good food.

Places to avoid are Cha-Am and BKK.

qirex fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Dec 13, 2006

not even troll irl
Aug 25, 2006

by Lowtax

Jibba Jabba posted:

ahhh, this is what i'm looking for. i'm from the east coast, what's good that i won't find back there?

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

qirex posted:

Places to avoid are Cha-Am and BKK.

No no, there are two Cha-Am's, one is really good and one is lovely. They are owned by the same people I guess but the one that's an actual restaurant, not the crappy fast food place, is awesome.

Jibba Jabba
Aug 27, 2003

FUTURE
DEAD
PERSON

ahhh, this is what i'm looking for. i'm from the east coast, what's good that i won't find back there?

Just about everything. You'll see when you're confronted with the big board o' brews upon arrival.

The bartenders are good about describing the beers if the place isn't too busy.

Sabacc
Jul 8, 2002

I live two blocks up from Toronado (on Page), if you want a drinking buddy. The bartenders recognize my face by now.

The great thing about that place is they rotate about five or six of their beer selections every day. It sucks when you want to plunker down for something sturdy like a Guinness, to find it not served; but it's tremendously amazing to keep getting new beers, and besides, if I wanted a Guinness that bad, I can go to one of the six other bars in Lower Haight.

I love where I live.

Captain Segfault
Oct 9, 2005
So, as a San Carlos goon, what should I do for New Year's Eve?

I'm completely out of the loop on this stuff, still...

Swivel Master
Oct 10, 2004

Floating in much the same way that bricks don't.
I can't do this because I'm going to a party (well, maybe if I want to spend the money and not see every band), but there's a REALLY good New Year's Eve show at the Great American Music Hall. If you've got nothing else to do and want to see some bands who are great live, I suggest checking it out.

If you've got lots of money, there's always the big party at Mezzanine, which is fifty bucks but you get to see Blonde Readhead in a venue about 1/5 the size of what they'd normally play.

edit:

If you want a REALLY good constantly updated list of all Bay Area live music shows, go here:

http://www.foopee.com/punk/the-list/

If you have any questions about bands being good or not I may or may not be able to answer you... Just looking over the links page of the venue I work with (Verge) I've seen about 80 of the bands listed.

Swivel Master fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Dec 29, 2006

Eia
Nov 5, 2003

minya posted:

Got any other recommendations for awesome Thai places, especially for lunch?

I vote for Sai Jai Thai as best Thai in San Francisco, and I *love* Thai food (we are so spoiled here restaurant-wise, it's obscene). I can't say enough good things about Sai Jai. It is in a not-particularly-great location, but hey, they deliver!

Sai Jai Thai
771 O'Farrell St
San Francisco, CA 94109
(415) 673-5774

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArmyGroup303
Apr 10, 2004

If this were real life, I would have piloted this helicopter with you still in it.

Captain Segfault posted:

So, as a San Carlos goon, what should I do for New Year's Eve?

I'm completely out of the loop on this stuff, still...

1) Get the flying gently caress out of San Carlos. There is jack, poo poo and cops with nothing to do there.

2) Stay the gently caress away from the following cities: Burlingame, San Bruno, Millbrae, South San Francisco, San Carlos, Belmont.

3) Mountain View, Sunnyvale, San Jose and San Francisco are your best bets for NYE stuff. Check out https://www.yelp.com for more.

• Locked thread