Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captain Segfault
Oct 9, 2005

ArmyGroup303 posted:

1) Get the flying gently caress out of San Carlos. There is jack, poo poo and cops with nothing to do there.

I just live here because, as someone who hasn't gotten around to learning how to drive yet, I like the 20 minute carless commute... particularly when I get paid overtime. I just hop on a train whenever I want to do anything.

The idea of spending NYE in San Carlos makes me :lol:.

quote:

2) Stay the gently caress away from the following cities: Burlingame, San Bruno, Millbrae, South San Francisco, San Carlos, Belmont.

3) Mountain View, Sunnyvale, San Jose and San Francisco are your best bets for NYE stuff. Check out https://www.yelp.com for more.

Barring other plans, I'll probably do something in SF... particularly given that Caltrain is doing extra runs out of the city that night.

Thanks for the reminder about Yelp; I'd forgotten about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frunksock
Feb 21, 2002

Good lasagna delivery / takeout? I've tried a few random pizza places, but it's all been terrible lasagna.

Loki2099
Oct 26, 2005
can I be cool too please?

ArmyGroup303 posted:

1) Get the flying gently caress out of San Carlos. There is jack, poo poo and cops with nothing to do there.

2) Stay the gently caress away from the following cities: Burlingame, San Bruno, Millbrae, South San Francisco, San Carlos, Belmont.

3) Mountain View, Sunnyvale, San Jose and San Francisco are your best bets for NYE stuff. Check out https://www.yelp.com for more.

Wait... there is stuff to do in Sunnyvale?

Kobalt
Mar 19, 2003

Sunnyvale has a downtown believe it or not.
I found it after moving out.

RubberDucky
Jan 6, 2004

Sick My Duck
I once saw a cop dive right past a drug deal in the Tenderloin district. Does this happen in other areas of SF? What's up with that?

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

RubberDucky posted:

I once saw a cop dive right past a drug deal in the Tenderloin district. Does this happen in other areas of SF? What's up with that?

If the cops stopped to interrupt every drug deal they passed while in the Tenderloin they'd never get wherever they were going. They have murders and poo poo to attend to. You can't drive two blocks in the Tenderloin without going past a drug deal anyway.

And yes it happens in other areas of SF. Mission street between 18th and 15th, South Van Ness between 16th and 14th, 24th St. between Mission and Capp, 6th St.. between Howard and Market, etc.. all of these places constantly have poo poo going on and the cops ignore it unless it gets violent. Though they do bust people at the actaul 16th and 24th street BART stations sometimes.

Kobalt posted:

Sunnyvale has a downtown believe it or not.
I found it after moving out.

Are you talking about Murphy street or whatever it is with Gumba's Pizza on it?

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Dec 29, 2006

Kobalt
Mar 19, 2003

Earwicker posted:

Are you talking about Murphy street or whatever it is with Gumba's Pizza on it?

That's the one.

It's not fantastic, but it's like half a Castro St. in Mt. View. It's tiny, but things happen there.
Still, I didn't even know about it until 5 years after I moved out.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Kobalt posted:

That's the one.

It's not fantastic, but it's like half a Castro St. in Mt. View. It's tiny, but things happen there.
Still, I didn't even know about it until 5 years after I moved out.

I used to go to Gumba's pizza all the time when I lived down in the south bay but I havent been there in a while

it used to be you could get a personal pizza with an insane amount of toppings for dirt cheap, and the toppings were really good and fresh

I dont think they have that deal any more tho

Bullet Ant
May 28, 2005
1) Since I moved here over a year ago, I've done a pathetic job of familiarizing myself with the local music scene. Are there any local acts I should try to catch? (I listen to a lot of stuff, but I tend to gravitate towards indie, folk and hip-hop)

2) I'm thinking about trying to pick up a second job at Peet's Coffee. Anyone have a strong opinion on working for them?

Sabacc
Jul 8, 2002

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=2271066

Debbie Metallica
Jun 7, 2001

I confess I don't know where that even is (well, duh, Duboce) because I'm such a lame-o. If it was this thurs I might swing by but I think next thurs I'll have homework already. :(

Sabacc
Jul 8, 2002

Ozma posted:

I confess I don't know where that even is (well, duh, Duboce) because I'm such a lame-o. If it was this thurs I might swing by but I think next thurs I'll have homework already. :(

I threw up a Yelp page for more information. It's basically an outdoor beer garden that can't decide if it wants to be a motorcycle bar or a bicycle bar, so they just lump themselves as "a biker bar." Also: $12 pitchers.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Zeitgeist is awesome, especially in the summer but it's always fun.

Ozma, it's very easy to get to, it's at Valencia and Duboce, kind of under the freeway.

It's like a 10 minute walk for me so I'll definitely try to stop by for a drink.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Bullet Ant posted:

1) Since I moved here over a year ago, I've done a pathetic job of familiarizing myself with the local music scene. Are there any local acts I should try to catch? (I listen to a lot of stuff, but I tend to gravitate towards indie, folk and hip-hop)

I think you would definitely like Cult of Sue Todd, which is really fun indie rock, and Briar and Bramble which is some great folky twee kinda stuff.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Sabacc posted:

I threw up a Yelp page for more information. It's basically an outdoor beer garden that can't decide if it wants to be a motorcycle bar or a bicycle bar, so they just lump themselves as "a biker bar." Also: $12 pitchers.

You can also smoke :420: there which is awesome. The ribs there are really good if you're hungry (all their food is good). It's a good place to meet people, since you're usually in close quarters with strangers, just remember to dress like you'll be sitting in 45 degree temperatures for several hours.

TrueClash
Dec 22, 2003
I put cocaine in a little girl's rubber ducky
So is anyone incredibly well informed about rent control? I moved into a new apartment the landlord is trying to raise our rent $200. My current roommate has lived in this apartment for the past year and a half, and had a rental increase in March.

I've been doing a little research and some consulting with the San Francisco Rent Board, but I'm still having some trouble.

flowmotion
Nov 12, 2006

by Ozmaugh

RubberDucky posted:

SF cops do containment policing -- basically almost anything goes in the Tenderloin, 6th+Mission, and around 16th+Mission, and a few other places. Everywhere else they don't tolerate much streetcrime. Walk around enough and you can almost see the invisible lines.

TrueClash posted:

So is anyone incredibly well informed about rent control? I moved into a new apartment the landlord is trying to raise our rent $200. My current roommate has lived in this apartment for the past year and a half, and had a rental increase in March.
You might want to double-check that the building is rent-controlled (newer ones aren't). Otherwise, contact the Tenant's Union (http://www.sftu.org/).

TrueClash
Dec 22, 2003

flowmotion posted:

You might want to double-check that the building is rent-controlled (newer ones aren't). Otherwise, contact the Tenant's Union (http://www.sftu.org/).

The building is rent controlled, I've verified that with other tenants. It was built before 1979 and has more than four units.

The trouble I'm having is interpretting the Costa Hawkins amendment to article 16.4 regarding revolving tenancy. I'm not certain, but my understanding is after the initial increase to a new set of tenants, rent control takes effect, and a higher increase cannot be implemented until the last of that set of tenants vacates.

Meaning tenant A has a lease and leaves, with Tenants B+C take over the lease, an increase is implemented and now rent control is in effect. Tenant C moves out and Tenant D moves in, rent control should still be in effect until Tenant B moves out.

Am I wrong in that?

Edit: for punctuation

TrueClash fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Jan 21, 2007

flowmotion
Nov 12, 2006

by Ozmaugh

TrueClash posted:

Meaning tenant A has a lease and leaves, with Tenants B+C take over the lease, an increase is implemented and now rent control is in effect. Tenant C moves out and Tenant D moves in, rent control should still be in effect until Tenant B moves out.
That is my understanding. But if C was the only tenant listed on the lease, then an increase would be allowed even though B still lives there.

The Tenant's Union has a really good booklet that explains all of this better than I can.

Debbie Metallica
Jun 7, 2001

flowmotion posted:

The Tenant's Union has a really good booklet that explains all of this better than I can.

And it doesn't cost much to join if I remember correctly and even if you don't join you can go down there and get advice I think.

mediawhore
Apr 18, 2003

i think i'm gonna put you down for a while

Bullet Ant posted:

2) I'm thinking about trying to pick up a second job at Peet's Coffee. Anyone have a strong opinion on working for them?

I worked at Peets at the Ferry Building for six months when I first moved out here. The work isn't that bad, I guess, and depending on the location, you can make decent money in tips. The only problem I had was the early hours. If I was opening, some mornings I would have to be up at 4:30 to be at work by 5. You get a free lb of coffee every week and if you work enough hours/week you get benefits, which was handy. My only problem with Peets was that it got a little too corporate at times for my taste. Other than that, it was a good time, paid the bills and I met a lot of really great people.

Sabacc
Jul 8, 2002

Who runs the bus service between East Bay and San Francisco late at night (1 to 5 am)? My friend is considering moving up here but he is a lush like me and wants to know his escape routes.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Sabacc posted:

Who runs the bus service between East Bay and San Francisco late at night (1 to 5 am)? My friend is considering moving up here but he is a lush like me and wants to know his escape routes.

I'm pretty sure AC Transit runs it, its called the Transbay Bus and you can get it at the terminal on like 1st and Mission or somewhere around there.

Zoccoli
Feb 12, 2004

Everything that stands will be at odds with its neighbor, and everything that falls will perish without grace

Earwicker posted:

I'm pretty sure AC Transit runs it, its called the Transbay Bus and you can get it at the terminal on like 1st and Mission or somewhere around there.
This is correct, it's also known as the F line (the sign should say "F-TRANSBAY"). I think it only runs once an hour in the late PM/early AM, though.

Soma Soma Soma
Mar 22, 2004

Richardson agrees
I'll be staying in SF for a week during the North American Cycle Courier Championship and was wondering if you guys know of any decent yet semi-cheap hostels. I'll probably be staying in the city for 6 or 7 nights since I'm riding my bike there from Reno and could use an extra day or two to rest before the races. Recommend me some cool hostels! (Thanks in advance)

Socket Ryanist
Aug 30, 2004

Zoccoli posted:

This is correct, it's also known as the F line (the sign should say "F-TRANSBAY"). I think it only runs once an hour in the late PM/early AM, though.
There are actually a bunch of them, the F is the one that happens to go to berkeley via adeline (and stops in emeryville on the way to SF but not on the way back). All the buses which are letters rather than numbers (F, G, L, FS, Z etc) go transbay, although I think one goes to palo alto instead of SF.

Late at night, there's only one transbay bus, the 800, which stops at all bart stations between oakland and richmond, and runs down market in SF since transbay terminal is closed. If you want to go south of oakland, the 801 runs from downtown oakland to fremont.

actransit.org is the website where such info is found!

Zoccoli
Feb 12, 2004

Everything that stands will be at odds with its neighbor, and everything that falls will perish without grace
:doh: Yeah, I forgot that there were numerous Transbay lines until after I posted. Good catch.

TrueClash
Dec 22, 2003

Ozma posted:

And it doesn't cost much to join if I remember correctly and even if you don't join you can go down there and get advice I think.

Fun little update on this. Monday morning I woke to find my bicycle tires slashed, and with more than enough evidence that it was done my landlord (but unfortunately I do not have a witness to the act, so there is little legal action I can take.)

I joined the Tenant's Union per your suggestion Ozma, and I am going there for counseling tonight. I spoke with the San Francisco Rent Board and they confirmed that my tenant rotation assumption was correct. My roommate was on the lease so there is no issue there. We're putting in a petition for Unlawful Increase of Rent with the San Francisco Rent Board.

I also had a building inspector come into the building and he cited my landlord on 8 different accounts, primarily on inadequete heating, something fairly serious.

frunksock
Feb 21, 2002

Pillow fight tomorrow, yall:

http://laughingsquid.com/san-francisco-pillow-fight-photos/

Debbie Metallica
Jun 7, 2001

TrueClash posted:

Fun little update on this. Monday morning I woke to find my bicycle tires slashed, and with more than enough evidence that it was done my landlord (but unfortunately I do not have a witness to the act, so there is little legal action I can take.)

I joined the Tenant's Union per your suggestion Ozma, and I am going there for counseling tonight. I spoke with the San Francisco Rent Board and they confirmed that my tenant rotation assumption was correct. My roommate was on the lease so there is no issue there. We're putting in a petition for Unlawful Increase of Rent with the San Francisco Rent Board.

I also had a building inspector come into the building and he cited my landlord on 8 different accounts, primarily on inadequete heating, something fairly serious.

Yeah, the Tenant's Union is really your friend. Keep as much documentation about all of this as possible. Did you call in the inspector or do anything to request that the city hvae a look at things on your own? I also believe -and this is where the union can straighten things out- that if you force their hand on an issue like this and they get in trouble with the city they're also not allowed to raise your rent for a year because doing so would be considered a punitive act on their part. Not 100% sure on that but you can talk with them about it.

The Houch
Mar 20, 2004
scuczu is a furry....lol
I just moved to the bay area and will be living in Oakland for the time being but working in downtown SF. What, in all of your opinions, is the best/fastest ISP here and why? Also, when looking around I noticed a LOT of places are "pre-wired for fiber optics" (including the place I will be living) and was wondering if any of you guys that live here have heard of any plans for FiOS (or is it available already)?

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
Well, I'm starting to think about moving to SF again. :sigh:

Could someone give me a ballpark or range on how much renting a 1 bedroom with a garage that would allow a pair of Corgis in a non sketchy area would be?

Also, my girlfriend and I currently make about 15k a year more than the household average for Madison, WI (where we live now.) Could I expect to make a similar amount of money in SF, or less, or more?

TrueClash
Dec 22, 2003
A one bedroom in nice-ish part of the city I'd ballpark about 1800 a month, less maybe if you're out in the outer sunset or Richmond area. The garage part is the kicker, so I'd consider street parking.

Ozma, landlord did get in trouble with the city. He can still raise my rent the legal amount (and is doing so, $25 more a month, which is no biggee.) He can't evict for any reason outside of the complete destruction of the property for up to a year though, as it would be considered retaliatory. I haven't had any trouble from him since, and he's started to install new heaters. I'm pretty much set for now, and have a buttload of evidence for my protection. :dance:

San Francisco is certainly a city that protects its tenants. I like that.

Zoccoli
Feb 12, 2004

I'm looking for a place in the city as well, and hopefully sometime soon. I don't know how much longer I can take commuting from Livermore. :suicide:

I'm effectively single and sort of poor, so I'd be looking for studios and open rooms in flats and houses. Is craigslist really my best option? The number of new listings per day is really daunting, I don't know where to start.

Debbie Metallica
Jun 7, 2001

Help me with a stupid decision:

I don't have a cellphone yet but am ditching Vonage to get one. T-Mobile has lovely coverage of inner richmond (I'm moving to inner sunset but will still be in richmond a lot) so I don't want that no matter what. Alltel seems to have the best deal but they AREN'T HERE (though we have to see ads, the fucks)... so it's basically down to Cingular, Verizon, or MetroPCS.

None of my friends/family are on any of those three save one person on Verizon so the mobile-to-mobile or whatever hardly matters. I'll be getting the cheapest plan (450 min, though Metro is unlimited right?). Which has the best coverage here? I'm thinking I want to avoid MetroPCS just because I won't be able to travel with it but am open to suggestions. Help?

SousaphoneColossus
Feb 16, 2004

There are a million reasons to ruin things.

Ozma posted:

Help me with a stupid decision:
I'd go with Cingular. I have coverage pretty much everywhere I go in the Bay Area. My girlfriend has Verizon and she can't even get reception in our own house in the city half the time.

I haven't been in the Richmond enough to know whether the coverage is equally as good there, but based on my experience everywhere else there's no reason why it wouldn't.

Debbie Metallica
Jun 7, 2001

UnclePlasticBitch posted:

I'd go with Cingular. I have coverage pretty much everywhere I go in the Bay Area. My girlfriend has Verizon and she can't even get reception in our own house in the city half the time.

Yeah, I think that's who I'm really leaning towards now. They should have decent coverage if only because they have a shop on Geary around Stanyan, I think- what's the point of selling plans out there if they won't work? Though that's probably expecting too much out of a cellphone company. :laugh: Thanks!

Ugh though I am not happy about getting a cellphone. I am not a cellphone person but Vonage just doesn't cut it- I've been on an apartment hunt AGAIN (found a place finally, obviously) but for almost 2 months couldn't find anything and was really handicapped by the fact that I didn't have a phone on me at all times to talk to people or call people. I finally get why people have them. :( I will kill myself if I start using it on the bus, though.

Seems like this is a really lovely time of year to look for anything apartment or room wise in the city. I'm only staying in my next place through May, I'm hoping to god that after that I can FINALLY get an apartment with my goddamn boyfriend. I did get a kick out of the fact that the Fillmore Center had a couple apartments available last weekend and they were all snapped up in about 2 loving hours after they were listed.

Swivel Master
Oct 10, 2004

Floating in much the same way that bricks don't.
I've got Sprint and I feel like I have better coverage than anyone I know. People claim to not get reception in my house, but it's been just fine for me.

As for the plan, well, I dunno if it's any better or worse than another carrier.... I just don't feel like undergoing the giant pain in the rear end of switching. Plus, I renewed my contract and got a huge discount on a new phone.

Zoccoli
Feb 12, 2004

I have a Nextel phone (technically Sprint, but different network) for work, and the voice quality is generally dildoes. The iDEN walkie talkie is the only real reason to get one.

I've had Cingular for the past six years in and out of the Bay Area, and I've never had any significant problems. The only annoying thing is that Cingular and AT&T keep changing their minds about who owns who, and I've now been screwed twice regarding switching SIM cards from one brand to the other.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Debbie Metallica
Jun 7, 2001

Swivel Master posted:

I've got Sprint and I feel like I have better coverage than anyone I know. People claim to not get reception in my house, but it's been just fine for me.

D'oh, I forgot about Sprint.

Dammit! I'm trying to make a decision today! And Sprint looks appealing since their night minutes start much earlier than all the others do...

Motherfucking cellphone decisions!

• Locked thread