Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PoorPeteBest
Oct 13, 2005

We're not hitchhiking anymore! We're riding!

Owsla posted:

What's your take on it so far? I love mine so much. :guitar:

Oh I'm in love alright. This is an amazing guitar!

Jagdhippo posted:

Well I am more interested in the AGS and I'm a sucker for pretty inlays.

Here's a close up of the inlay detail. The same pattern is on the AG95 and AGS83 from what I've seen:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

PoorPeteBest fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Jan 27, 2007

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

krisis posted:

Seeing how awesome RSPsych0's Les Paul looked, I decided to check some of them out at the local guitar shop.

Ended up buying a black Epiphone Les Paul standard

I'm considering getting rid of the pickguard, but i can't figure out how to do it without leaving a nasty hole near the neck pickup.

Sorry about the lovely camphone picture.

Keep the pickguard.

I'm curious how yours sounds compared to mine. I know on mine they layered the wood differently (since it's a Custom), and my asssumption was thatthe pickups were higher quality, but I can't guarantee that.

Bolkovr
Apr 20, 2002

A chump and a hoagie going buck wild

krisis posted:

I'm considering getting rid of the pickguard, but i can't figure out how to do it without leaving a nasty hole near the neck pickup.

Screw the screw back into the hole. That's what I did.

Or I guess you could taper a matchstick to the right size, jam it in there, cut it flush and color it black with a Sharpee.

Mr JinX
Jul 10, 2001

Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger
Picked this up last night-

first tube amp...I am still in shock over the difference

krisis
Oct 25, 2003

i have a light case of asparagus.

RSPsych0 posted:

Keep the pickguard.

I'm curious how yours sounds compared to mine. I know on mine they layered the wood differently (since it's a Custom), and my asssumption was thatthe pickups were higher quality, but I can't guarantee that.

Considering your title, i thought you'd like this

That's with the bridge pickup on the insane setting on a line6 spider II

And that's with the clean channel on both pickups

Walter
Jul 3, 2003

We think they're great. In a grand, mystical, neopolitical sense, these guys have a real message in their music. They don't, however, have neat names like me and Bono.

Mr JinX posted:

Picked this up last night-

first tube amp...I am still in shock over the difference

What'd that run you? I've actually heard pretty good things about the Epiphone valve amps. Although it's usually preceeded (or followed) by "for the money," is it decent at bedroom volumes? I'm looking at possibly having to move into an apt. complex, and I want something valve that I can play at decent volume and not lose tone.

I was recently living in a hotel during an away-from-home project, and I had my Hot Rod Deluxe with me. I couldn't even crank the thing up far enough that I could get a consistent tone out of it (think playing your guitar with the volume turned 90% down). It was incredibly frustrating and I want to avoid that again if I can.

PenguinBob
Oct 12, 2000

Found one of these used at GC yesterday, an Ibanez SRX700. One of the higher end, neck-through Ibanez basses for just $315, I almost poo poo myself. It was missing two knobs but I asked if they had any that would fit the shaft and they said they would try to find matching knobs and give them to me for free.

I just love the look of it, it's kind of got an Ibanez-meets-Leo Fender feel to it, and it's in the awesome honey burst finish pictured.

It's my birthday present from my parents, we're going to pick it up today. :awesome:

Mr JinX
Jul 10, 2001

Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger

Walter posted:

What'd that run you? I've actually heard pretty good things about the Epiphone valve amps. Although it's usually preceeded (or followed) by "for the money," is it decent at bedroom volumes? I'm looking at possibly having to move into an apt. complex, and I want something valve that I can play at decent volume and not lose tone.

I was recently living in a hotel during an away-from-home project, and I had my Hot Rod Deluxe with me. I couldn't even crank the thing up far enough that I could get a consistent tone out of it (think playing your guitar with the volume turned 90% down). It was incredibly frustrating and I want to avoid that again if I can.

it was 250 with tax, as I bought it locally, a bit cheaper online. I live in an apartment too and worry about bothering my neighbors, the littel 10 watt marshall I have rarely gets turned up past "1" as its so harsh. This one however, sounds wonderful. I can crank it halfway easily- Its still loud(louder than the marshall obviously) but its very smooth and contained with the bass and treb at noon and the mids at 3 and the gain dimed without bothering my neighbors in the daytime (I asked them to be sure) and I was running it comfortably at around quarter volume at 2am last night to no ill effects. Its a great amp, same as the valve junior but with a bigger speaker (its sounds fuller, I a-b'ed them as well as the larger valve standard and the Special won out) and effects and an EQ. I actually like the effects, particularly the chorus. If you play high gain you will need a pedal though. I just ordered a DOD Yngwie preamp overdrive to push it a little more

VVVV seriously, try putting the screws in the holes- it looks better and you won't lose the screws (btw that explorer is hot)

Mr JinX fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Jan 28, 2007

Craiglen
Sep 2, 2006

krisis posted:

Seeing how awesome RSPsych0's Les Paul looked, I decided to check some of them out at the local guitar shop.

Ended up buying a black Epiphone Les Paul standard

Sorry about the lovely camphone picture.

I just went ahead and took it off. There are too small holes where the screws were. gently caress it. It was getting in the way. Sound wasn't affected.

Craiglen fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Jan 28, 2007

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

krisis posted:

Considering your title, i thought you'd like this

That's with the bridge pickup on the insane setting on a line6 spider II

And that's with the clean channel on both pickups

Pretty good. It's hard to tell, exactly, since we don't have the same gear. The guitar is great, though. I can't believe I waited so long to buy an LP.

Craiglen posted:

What the hell happened to that guitar on the far right?

3 Action Economist fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Jan 28, 2007

Synthesizer Patel
Feb 16, 2004

But, despite this, Synthesizer and others must stay constantly vigilant as synthesizer theft is rife.
I finally took the plunge on Komplete 4.

Syrus
Nov 9, 2005
Peter Pan

I picked this up today with my christmas money, here's a link to the specs page. http://www.zzounds.com/item--IBASZ320MH

Syrus fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Jan 28, 2007

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

This might be my next purchace, but I cant decide whether its ugly or cool.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -

RSPsych0 posted:

What the hell happened to that guitar on the far right?
Looks like a dingo ate his baby. No strings or pickups OH GOD IT'S BEEN CANNIBALIZED!

That reminds me, I need to gut my turd of a guitar.

Wonder Bread
Apr 16, 2005

Have you ever danced with a crapatar in the pale moonlight?
Renoise. A fun tracker program.

Juz
Sep 18, 2004

Jesus is fucking metal.

Lord Fizzlebottom posted:

Schecter C-1 Plus in Black Cherry

@ a show before Christmas (notice the wacky Santa hat on the floor)

That looks super awesome. I've been looking for a nice fixed-bridge 24-fret guitar to go with my JS for a while, but not found anything that takes my fancy. Do you have any photos that show more of the body that aren't professional make-everything-look-much-better-than-it-does-in-real-life photos?

I'd be tempted to get something like that, unfortunately I can't seem to find anywhere in the UK that sells schecter :(

Juz fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Jan 29, 2007

Archr5
Sep 26, 2003

Trying desperately to be popular since 1982.

Jeedan posted:

This might be my next purchace, but I cant decide whether its ugly or cool.

I like it. For whatever that's worth.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
Alesis FireWire 8 mixer

Gee this is a lot easier than plugging poo poo into that thur microphone hole on the computer machine.

Watson Your Back, Holmes
Jan 5, 2005

Craiglen posted:

I just went ahead and took it off. There are too small holes where the screws were. gently caress it. It was getting in the way. Sound wasn't affected.

Get some black and silver top hat knobs and you've got yourself a beautiful guitar.

Cmdr Will Riker
Mar 27, 2003
Picked this up last week. I haven't taken pictures with my camera yet, so this image is a reasonable facsimile. Mine is actually a 1977 Rhodes Suitcase, minus the amp part. The tone is unbelievably awesome - my Motif had a pretty good Rhodes simulation, but the real thing is amazing. I need to get a preamp and I have an F that doesn't like to tilt back up sometimes, but otherwise, it's in great shape.

FlossMan
Oct 19, 2005

No, I can't. Too much hair.
I'm just going to count all the pedals I got in the past few months, as well as my new pickups, to be "new gear." Also, I want an excuse to post this picture.

Toasta
Jan 18, 2006
All shall fade to black.

With a different headstock, but you get the idea. Waiting on my tax return!

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

Toasta posted:

I think that beats out BC rich in the "ridiculous metal bodystyle" department :v:

edit: I'd be afraid to even pick that up, my explorer has enough gouges in it from the stupid extension getting slammed into random poo poo.

Crustashio fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Jan 31, 2007

PenguinBob
Oct 12, 2000

Crustashio posted:

I think that beats out BC rich in the "ridiculous metal bodystyle" department :v:

That thing is almost the Doctor Weird "Flying W" from ATHF. What the gently caress is that thing even?

Oh, a Moser Bastard V. Those are the silliest loving things I've ever seen. Sillier than the Dean not-pointy-enough-put-points-onto-the-points Razorback.

PenguinBob fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Jan 31, 2007

Thalamus
Jan 20, 2007

Peace, Brothers & Sisters!

classical guitar is metal

Escape_GOAT
May 20, 2004

FlossMan posted:

I'm just going to count all the pedals I got in the past few months, as well as my new pickups, to be "new gear." Also, I want an excuse to post this picture.

Oh my god. I want to vacuum that room so bad.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -

Toasta posted:

Dude if you're going that nuts, keep the headstock. Go balls out or not at all!!!

...unless the other headstock is even crazier.

GeminiZer0 posted:

hah that's the first thing I thought earlier today as well.

PoorPeteBest
Oct 13, 2005

We're not hitchhiking anymore! We're riding!

Thalamus posted:

classical guitar is metal

A grandpa's guitars? That's for pussies and grandpas, I think you know it.

Seriously though, what kind of classical is that? I've never seen soundholes like that.

Toasta
Jan 18, 2006
All shall fade to black.

PenguinBob posted:

That thing is almost the Doctor Weird "Flying W" from ATHF. What the gently caress is that thing even?

Oh, a Moser Bastard V. Those are the silliest loving things I've ever seen. Sillier than the Dean not-pointy-enough-put-points-onto-the-points Razorback.

Well, I like it anyway. :colbert:

HellaRob
Jan 8, 2007
Be a man, Hulk!

PoorPeteBest posted:

Seriously though, what kind of classical is that? I've never seen soundholes like that.

Awaken, awaken, it must be taken!

Thalamus
Jan 20, 2007

Peace, Brothers & Sisters!

PoorPeteBest posted:

It was custom built by Alan Chapman. He's a fairly well known Luthier in the Northeast. My teacher has been playing his guitars for 20 years or so, and practically the whole department at my university does.
Volume in acoustic guitars is produced by the soundboard vibrating, and by putting the sound hole in the traditional spot you take out a good chunk of the guitars potential amplification. The upper areas of the soundboard are acoustically dead, so by placing the sound holes there it doesn't interfere with the soundboard vibrating.
It's really really loving loud basically.

Thalamus fucked around with this message at 09:37 on Jan 31, 2007

FlossMan
Oct 19, 2005

No, I can't. Too much hair.

GeminiZer0 posted:

I get the point. :mad:

;) I'm working on it, I just spend all my time at work lately, so vacuuming has taken the back seat.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
Removed

MC Fruit Stripe fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Jul 30, 2019

Messyass
Dec 23, 2003

GeminiZer0 posted:

Is your avatar just coincidence or is this your gimmick? :)

Walter
Jul 3, 2003

We think they're great. In a grand, mystical, neopolitical sense, these guys have a real message in their music. They don't, however, have neat names like me and Bono.

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

I've already started to learn basic chords. G is 0023 (and easily movable with a bar), C is 0230 (again, bar it!), Em is 0223 (I bet you can bar that!) and F is 233(5) (bar that sumbitch!), D is 2002 (hey, I wonder if a bar works there!), and D7 is 2032 (not so much with the bar!)

Is that a Flatiron?

You can bar, it's true. But you can also do 4-finger chords (non-barred) that work better for some things.

For some of those chords, try these fingerings, too:
code:
 G   C   D   A   F
-3---0---2---5---1-----
-2---3---5---4---0-----
-5---2---4---2---3-----
-7---5---7---2---5-----

quote:

Any other mandolin nerds around?

I direct your attention my first post of the thread (also the OP), in which I posted a picture of an electric 5-string mandolin, the same model of which is currently being made for me.

So, no.

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

A and F are upside down relative to the other three chords, but sweet, thank you! I'll bug you for mandolin tips, heh. :)

Aaaand... fixed. Sorry, not used to looking at mandolin tablature (yeah, I'm a notation snob).

Walter fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Feb 1, 2007

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
Removed

MC Fruit Stripe fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Jul 30, 2019

Engine Fortegue
Feb 1, 2004

strap me down they must sedate me

poke me prod me irritate me

Toasta posted:

dude don't listen to them these guitars are awesome

no dad im not gay!
Jan 30, 2007

My folks spoiled me this past Christmas. Bless their hearts.

My birthday went by recently too. I bought myself a Line 6 UX2 Toneport and an Eminence Alpha 10 speaker to replace one going bad in my 8x10. I'm hoping it'll be the only one I'll have to replace for another year, but I doubt it.

Oprah Moment
Nov 21, 2004

Vox ACC30CC1, Ibanez WD7 and Boss Chorus Ensemble

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mugendai
Oct 23, 2002

You realize, of
course, that that
will not kill him

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Alesis FireWire 8 mixer

Gee this is a lot easier than plugging poo poo into that thur microphone hole on the computer machine.

I've been considering getting some kind of firewire interface so I'd be interested in seeing your impressions on this after you spend some time with it.