Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bgaesop
Nov 1, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Y0ssarian posted:

it doubles the crit range.

15-20 I believe. A shame it doesn't stack with Improved Critical any more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
So Elan hits crit range 25% of the time or so, and does at least 1d6+7 the rest of the time. For somebody with his BAB, that's pretty badass.

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

Les soldats se trouvent dans la vérité.

tsob posted:

I'm beginning to think we'll never find out what's under that umbrella. And after 400 + strips about it, I don't think anything he could reveal would be all that good at this stage, either as a climax, or an anti-climax.

I think that if we see a real final battle against Xykon then that thing may well appear. Of course such a conflict may well not appear for a couple of hundred more strips. :)

Wanderer posted:

So Elan hits crit range 25% of the time or so, and does at least 1d6+7 the rest of the time. For somebody with his BAB, that's pretty badass.

He still needs to be able to roll higher than his enemy's armor class in order to even check for a critical hit. Therefore if he's fighting against an enemy with a high AC he'll only ever hit on a 20 despite his increased threat range. His low BAB therefore still puts him at a disadvantage, though that is admittedly mitigated to an extent by his Charisma bonus to hit.

gothfae
Mar 28, 2004

There seems no plan because it is all plan. There seems no center because it is all center.

tsob posted:

I'm beginning to think we'll never find out what's under that umbrella. And after 400 + strips about it, I don't think anything he could reveal would be all that good at this stage, either as a climax, or an anti-climax.

I assumed we would never see what it was. Imagination being better than, blah blah blah.

However with the latest turn of events, wouldn't it be interesting as far as Miko was concerned, if it was some angelic looking evil outsider?

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001

HitTheTargets posted:

Belkar and Miko, alone together.
Imagine the erotic fan fiction! :suicide:

Gassire
Dec 30, 2004

"They're people. Deeply flawed, yes, but deeply human too. And maybe that's saying the same thing."

tsob posted:

Hmmm...must have been thinking of something else so in that case. Either way, the werle it was meant as a joke, not as a serious suggestion which I was demanding the author take or I'd hunt him down and egg him or something.

Also, Elan playing a lute makes a lot more sense. I was gonna go with that, but what with him revering Banjo, I went with that instead.

You're probably thinking of how buddy had the sheath attached to the body and neck of the guitar in the first part of the movie.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.

Doodles posted:

Imagine the erotic fan fiction! :suicide:

I am! :flashfap:

No wait, I'm thinking that a strip or two will be spent seeing Miko pissed off about being in jail with Belkar egging her on. One or both might escape, they could fight, or Miko could try some cockamamie last ditch Atonement.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

HitTheTargets posted:

I am! :flashfap:

No wait, I'm thinking that a strip or two will be spent seeing Miko pissed off about being in jail with Belkar egging her on. One or both might escape, they could fight, or Miko could try some cockamamie last ditch Atonement.

I don't see Atonement.
The way she is now, Miko is still utterly convinced that everyone is wrong and at fault except her. For an Atonement to work, she'd actually have to be sorry and repentant, but she's still content to blame everyone else.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Yea, if a bolt of lightning from on high AND the loss of her Paladin powers doesn't make her reach for atonement I don't think a chat with Belkar and/or a few days in a jail cell will do anything for her. She's going someplace dark before she's going anywhere nice and bright.

Detetsu
Jan 14, 2006

Your loyal assistant Dr. Meowgon is all over this one.

I bet Miko thinks the gods are evil and only the Snarl is truly good and tries to release him because he'd make everything just again.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Detetsu posted:

I bet Miko thinks the gods are evil and only the Snarl is truly good and tries to release him because he'd make everything just again.

That's close to my theory.
I figure she'll learn about the Snarl, and decide that, since nobody wants to admit that she's right and not at fault in any way, she'll use the Snarl to recreate earth in such a way that she is right since it's based on her own sense of morality.
And since new earth will be governed by her sense of morality, it will completely clear her of all her wrongdoing since it will now be justified.

purkey
Dec 5, 2003

I hate the 90s

Ha, that really would make her Parallax.

Jon
Nov 30, 2004

Factor_VIII posted:

He still needs to be able to roll higher than his enemy's armor class in order to even check for a critical hit. Therefore if he's fighting against an enemy with a high AC he'll only ever hit on a 20 despite his increased threat range. His low BAB therefore still puts him at a disadvantage, though that is admittedly mitigated to an extent by his Charisma bonus to hit.

If it's within threat range, it's an automatic hit.

Vomax
Oct 12, 2005

?

High Altitude Hair Stylist posted:

If it's within threat range, it's an automatic hit.

Almost certain that's only a natural 20, otherwise weapons with high crit ranges and feats/spells that increased them would be entirely too powerful.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe

Vomax posted:

Almost certain that's only a natural 20, otherwise weapons with high crit ranges and feats/spells that increased them would be entirely too powerful.

You are correct, sir.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.

purkey posted:

Ha, that really would make her Parallax.

A white lock of hair would make her one sexy little stick figure.

bgaesop
Nov 1, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post

SuperKlaus posted:

You are correct, sir.

Furthermore, a vorpal weapon does not cut your head off except on a 20, and keen and improved crit no longer stack, so you can't auto-kill someone on a 12-20 anymore. :(

x1o
Aug 5, 2005

My focus is UNPARALLELED!

bgaesop posted:

Furthermore, a vorpal weapon does not cut your head off except on a 20, and keen and improved crit no longer stack, so you can't auto-kill someone on a 12-20 anymore. :(

Awww. But my favorite was getting a jewel-edged, keen, vorpal rapier with improved crit, which would knock it down to 10-20.

There was another way to knock it down to 6-20, but if you hit, the weapon would shatter.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

HitTheTargets posted:

I guess I didn't pick up on it earlier, but Belkar is going back to prison now that Hinjo overheard Roy & the dead guy talking about the ruse. Him and Miko alone while the rest of city fights off a hobgoblin hoard, an evil mage, a lich, and something under an umbrella. Belkar and Miko, alone together.

Is he going back to prison, or are they just not counting him because of the geas upon him that prevents him from killing someone within a city?

bgaesop
Nov 1, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post

TheHeadSage posted:

Awww. But my favorite was getting a jewel-edged, keen, vorpal rapier with improved crit, which would knock it down to 10-20.

There was another way to knock it down to 6-20, but if you hit, the weapon would shatter.

What's Jewel-Edged from? What's that other way? I love these weird DnD things.

Gassire
Dec 30, 2004

"They're people. Deeply flawed, yes, but deeply human too. And maybe that's saying the same thing."

TheHeadSage posted:

And people still wonder how OGL nearly destroyed the pnp rpg industry.

Lafarga
Apr 18, 2002

by Fistgrrl

Gassire posted:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

x1o
Aug 5, 2005

My focus is UNPARALLELED!

bgaesop posted:

What's Jewel-Edged from? What's that other way? I love these weird DnD things.

I forget the source book, but it was a WotC book. I haven't played D&D since v3.0 was released. 3.5 come as a surprise when I was checking it out later on. I remember the sole purpose of the mini-campaign was to create the most overpowered characters ever.

While 3rd edition can be broken, it's nothing like Second Edition Players Option. That was breakage at the highest level.

Gassire posted:

Oh god yes. There is too much crap and it bogs down everything. All the campaigns I had either run or participated in were pretty much "Only sourcebooks allowed are: Core Rules, Manual of the Planes, ect".

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Son of a bitch, it pisses me off so much when it takes him this long to update, considering he had the whole weekend to work on the loving thing <:mad:>

The Werle
Aug 8, 2005

Fireworks for Christmas is absolutely American

Calaveron posted:

Son of a bitch, it pisses me off so much when it takes him this long to update, considering he had the whole weekend to work on the loving thing <:mad:>

Yeah, gently caress that guy who gives us free comics of high quality :jerkbag:

I'm dying for a new strip too, but unless you're mailing him checks shut up.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
Rich Burlew waits for the last minute to do things just like me :unsmith:

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Speak of the devil and he shall appear.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Hehehe...

Oh, collectable miniature games, how we love thee, but how thou torments us with your randomness that laughs in our face.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

The Werle posted:

Yeah, gently caress that guy who gives us free comics of high quality :jerkbag:

I'm dying for a new strip too, but unless you're mailing him checks shut up.

The least he could do is stick with his current schedule but say "updates Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday". That way it'd be wholly accurate.

I mean, he updates 3 times a week, just about a day later than when he says he will.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Oh god I'm sorry Rich everything is forgiven :cry:
Love the combination of DnD jokes, characterization, and that little bit of slapstick in that final panel.

The Werle
Aug 8, 2005

Fireworks for Christmas is absolutely American

Fuego Fish posted:

The least he could do is stick with his current schedule but say "updates Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday". That way it'd be wholly accurate.

I mean, he updates 3 times a week, just about a day later than when he says he will.

He's been consistently on time for the last month or two, at least if you're not running off European moonclocks. And the only times I've noticed him being late are when he's doing double or triple length comics like we have today.

"Updates Monday, Wednesdays, and Fridays before midnight (Eastern Standard Time). Usually."

Dude has a proviso, his rear end is covered. :colbert:

Azure City really should have just sniped some ebay auctions or something, leaving yourself at the mercy of booster packs is just a waste of cash.

Jon
Nov 30, 2004

Fuego Fish posted:

Well, no, the least he could do is stop making the comic :v:

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

The Werle posted:

He's been consistently on time for the last month or two, at least if you're not running off European moonclocks. And the only times I've noticed him being late are when he's doing double or triple length comics like we have today.

"Updates Monday, Wednesdays, and Fridays before midnight (Eastern Standard Time). Usually."

Dude has a proviso, his rear end is covered. :colbert:

European moonclocks are Swiss made and by drat they keep the finest moontime in all Christendom! :argh:

High Altitude Hair Stylist posted:

Well, no, the least he could do is stop making the comic :v:

Technically, yes, the act of physically stopping would be the action with the least amount of effort involved. But dealing with the colossal nerd rage backlash that it would incite would make it even more effort than actually continuing the comic.

evilsake
Oct 25, 2004

by Fragmaster

Fuego Fish posted:

I have felt this way forever :colbert:

I honestly really do treat it like a T/T/S comic. Ever since Rich has really gone all out on cliff hangers and dramatic plots (to better effect than most webcomics), I've found it's better for my acute sense of nerd rage not to check in M/W/F.

Honestly, I'm surprised he's lasted this long with such a decent track record considering he's a member of increased updates crew.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

If he changed it to say "updates Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday" then he'd probably just end up doing them after midnight again anyway so it'd actually be Wednesday, Friday, and Sunday.

evilsake
Oct 25, 2004

by Fragmaster

Cowcaster posted:

If he changed it to say "updates Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday" then he'd probably just end up doing them after midnight again anyway so it'd actually be Wednesday, Friday, and Sunday.

Well when that happens he can just change the update schedule to that then :xd:

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

:siren:New strip is up:siren:
http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0414.html

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?
The first rule every GM learns: when in doubt, ninjas!

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

404GoonNotFound posted:

The first rule every GM learns: when in doubt, ninjas!

I never learned that rule, maybe that's why my brief tenure as a dm was so lame :(

If nothing else, it leads me to think that either the paladins are going to be on their own and this strip is meant to fill us in on that detail, or that it's going to be a battle on two fronts since ninja's are actively going to be after Hojo before, during and after the fight.
Plus, I wouldn't be surprised if I see some of those lords walking around as zombies or something after they try to cut Xykon a deal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
I figure it's time for everyone to play the baseless prediction game:

The schism in town means Lord Evil Bad Guy Xykon will win. Hinjo will go with the Order as penance/to prevent it from happening again, filling out the role of Miko's opposite when she joins the Linear Guild.