Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gassire
Dec 30, 2004

"They're people. Deeply flawed, yes, but deeply human too. And maybe that's saying the same thing."

Lafarga posted:

Next you're going to ask us why the Baba Yaga rides around on a giant mortar & pestle. I don't think you are properly into the spirit of Crazy Russian Magic People.

Not to mention vampires that must obsessively swallow any animal put in front of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

The Werle posted:

This reenforces my guess about Redcloak, he's getting awfully emotionally invested in this.

Woo! More Teevo, I love that little guy, so expressive.

I think Rich is just fleshing out Redcloak now though, since before he was just another minion at the end of the day really. Now he's finally doing poo poo on his own. I don't think he'll die. Or at least, I don't want him to die.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Gassire posted:

Not to mention vampires that must obsessively swallow any animal put in front of them.

That's still better than those poor OCD Chinese vampires.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

Backdoor Blanche posted:

I love how fleshed out all the characters are in this. They're great. I wish the NPCs I encounter and create were this well thought through.

Well, technically they're all NPCs.

evilsake
Oct 25, 2004

by Fragmaster
I don't really think Redcloak is being fleshed out at all, he's still just straight goblin to wacky lich. I don't think he'll die.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Well given more screen time, and a slight bit more of a visible personality then.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

I think Redcloak could surprise us.
Especially since I'm sure he has ulterior motive.
He's a cleric, or at least has levels in cleric since he carries a holy symbol (which doubles as Xykon's phylactery).
If he's a cleric, it means he serves his deity in some manner. So, who's to say that Redcloak isn't actually playing the more powerful Xykon at the behest of his dark god?

LuchadoresDelNixon
Feb 7, 2007

Moonbase Alpha provides a realistic simulation of life on a natural satellite

Everyone posted:

Redcloak. :words:

I'm sorry, but I can't ignore the fact that Redcloak here trails off on a new tangent the moment he mentions Xykon with a "bullseye" on. I anticipate a coup d'etat, or putting Xykon in harm's way at the very least.

I mean, by now he's convinced he's a better tactician, he's in charge of every hobgoblin under the sun, he's privy to all the information, and he's got the phylactery.

So why not choose to up himself to #1?

Rose wood
Apr 4, 2006

You're a superstar!
Nah, I can't see redcloak taking over from Xykon... My prediction is he'll let Xykon walk up to the walls and start blasting away, there'll be a comedy moment where Xykon realises he's the only one there shortly before getting exploded by a catapult rock, and Redcloak will lead the hobgoblins in a surprise attack while the defenders are distracted. Xykon will be back in the phylactery and kind of mad, but when he sees that they've won thanks to the strategy he won't kill redcloak straight out.

Of course, maybe that's just what Burlew wants us to think. :tinfoil:

Either that or Xykon reveals some cunning, brilliant plan that wins the whole thing at the last second. His character's gone kind of the 'incompetent villain' route but it's hard to tell if he's actually incompetent or if he's just faking it.

Vomax
Oct 12, 2005

?

Rose wood posted:

Either that or Xykon reveals some cunning, brilliant plan that wins the whole thing at the last second. His character's gone kind of the 'incompetent villain' route but it's hard to tell if he's actually incompetent or if he's just faking it.

I wouldn't say he's incompetent, just extremely confident. He feels no need to plan anything since he assumes he'll just blow up anything that gets in his way.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

I would certainly have to agree with Vomax. 'course, that was also how Redcloak handled the initial Hobgoblin situation.

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds

Rose wood posted:

He's just really really really pushing the "Chaotic" part of "Chaotic Evil." Also, humor comic.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
My guess is just that Xykon gave Redcloak the idea to use some kind of feint or decoy. I mean, all you need to make a body double for Xykon is to raise a skeleton and put it in a robe.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.

Battlestar Ferrinus posted:

My guess is just that Xykon gave Redcloak the idea to use some kind of feint or decoy. I mean, all you need to make a body double for Xykon is to raise a skeleton and put it in a robe.

Redcloak's looking too devious for something like that.

Maldraedior
Jun 16, 2002

YOU ARE AN ASININE MORT
I just figured he was going to rush the walls with exploding hobgoblins. the castle is breached and, hey, dead hobgoblins.

The Werle
Aug 8, 2005

Fireworks for Christmas is absolutely American
I'm going to lay down some harsh truth here, but its pretty much inescapable.

Redcloak is a goblin. He will never overcome Xykon to be the evil overlord, he'll never upgrade from lackey. D&D's glass ceiling is both firm and opaque, nothing gets through.

Simply put, goblins are low level enemies.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

Rincewind posted:

Redcloak's looking too devious for something like that.

He's just got a generic >:D scheming face on, I don't see how you can say he looks "too devious".

I mean, Xykon posed a situation that Redcloak realized would immediately lead to a hugeamount of enemy fire being directed at the lich, and this suddenly gave Redcloak an idea. A decoy is obvious.

I can't really see Redcloak betraying Xykon, because all in all they seem pretty friendly and honestly they're way more entertaining working together than apart. If Redcloak hated Xykon enough to destroy him he'd have simply smashed the lich's phylactery long ago.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

He's just got a generic >:D scheming face on, I don't see how you can say he looks "too devious".

I mean, Xykon posed a situation that Redcloak realized would immediately lead to a hugeamount of enemy fire being directed at the lich, and this suddenly gave Redcloak an idea. A decoy is obvious.

I can't really see Redcloak betraying Xykon, because all in all they seem pretty friendly and honestly they're way more entertaining working together than apart. If Redcloak hated Xykon enough to destroy him he'd have simply smashed the lich's phylactery long ago.

Easier, why bother with a decoy? What does it matter if Xykon gets blown up, the gate ritual takes a week anyway, he'll have plenty of time to regenerate. Redcloak gets to take the city and justifibly make his boss explode(alongside the tactical advantage this provides). Awesome.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

CoolCab posted:

Easier, why bother with a decoy? What does it matter if Xykon gets blown up, the gate ritual takes a week anyway, he'll have plenty of time to regenerate. Redcloak gets to take the city and justifibly make his boss explode(alongside the tactical advantage this provides). Awesome.

That would also work, provided whatever rituals Xykon and Redcloak need to do don't need both of their participation from the start.

You know what I wish? I wish that Xykon was a wizard, not a sorcerer. This is because "wizard" is a funnier word than "sorcerer" is, and also because being a wizard means that Xykon isn't technically limited to only having a selection of around 30 or 40 spells ever and so can more plausibly cast random obscure stuff for the sake of a joke.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

That would also work, provided whatever rituals Xykon and Redcloak need to do don't need both of their participation from the start.

You know what I wish? I wish that Xykon was a wizard, not a sorcerer. This is because "wizard" is a funnier word than "sorcerer" is, and also because being a wizard means that Xykon isn't technically limited to only having a selection of around 30 or 40 spells ever and so can more plausibly cast random obscure stuff for the sake of a joke.

How much Xykon is needed for a casting? Can't be that much, just get the skull first and you're covered up to somatic components.

Rose wood
Apr 4, 2006

You're a superstar!

CoolCab posted:

Exactly, that's what I meant in my first post, that's what I'm expecting. :)

Lafarga
Apr 18, 2002

by Fistgrrl

The Werle posted:

3E has no level limits, even on monsters with class levels. There's nothing stopping him from Epic levels purely from a rules perspective. Orcs are low-level enemies too, right, but an Orc that's also a 15/5 fighter/rogue is the sort of bad guy you throw at PCs who think they're too big for their britches.

Plus, there's always that classic "Tucker's Kobolds" story.

Kahrytes
Jun 4, 2004

Now I need a drink. Not this one. Another one. And in a different place.

Lafarga posted:

3E has no level limits, even on monsters with class levels. There's nothing stopping him from Epic levels purely from a rules perspective. Orcs are low-level enemies too, right, but an Orc that's also a 15/5 fighter/rogue is the sort of bad guy you throw at PCs who think they're too big for their britches.

Plus, there's always that classic "Tucker's Kobolds" story.

I don't get the Tucker's Kobolds story. What prevents PCs from dropping fireballs a ways behind the Kobolds? Or using wands of Magic Missile? Or a Cone of Cold?

Fighters shouldn't be afraid of some piddly arrows if they have tower shields, and to get the ones pushing the piles of flaming debris, just fire arrows at the pushers.

What exactly makes these guys worse than anything else? I'd like to know, to be able to challenge my PCs.

Lafarga
Apr 18, 2002

by Fistgrrl

Kahrytes posted:

What exactly makes these guys worse than anything else?

The idea is that you don't give your players a straight-up fight like they're used to. Fireballs expand to fill available space (seriously, look up the volume of a stock D&D fireball one of these days, they're loving immense), you have to see who you're shooting at to fire a bow (much less Magic Missle), and shields only protect against one direction at once.

I'm not one of the "evil DM" school, since I don't like killing my players or pissing them off, but I am of the "realistic challenge" school, which means that I would much rather throw a bunch of low-level enemies with a circumstantial advantage after a powerful party than one huge godlike damage sponge.

Two dozen professional soldiers in good gear and with good tactics is, as far as I'm concerned, a much more interesting challenge than some supernatural beastie who's only a problem because he has a lot of hit dice, some sort of area-of-effect attack, and an attitude problem. Turn those humans into kobolds and the situation doesn't change much.

Jon
Nov 30, 2004

Lafarga posted:

I'm not one of the "evil DM" school, since I don't like killing my players or pissing them off, but I am of the "realistic challenge" school, which means that I would much rather throw a bunch of low-level enemies with a circumstantial advantage after a powerful party than one huge godlike damage sponge.

Yeah but the sponge is easier to make and play

Lafarga
Apr 18, 2002

by Fistgrrl

High Altitude Hair Stylist posted:

Yeah but the sponge is easier to make and play

This is true.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Lafarga posted:

The idea is that you don't give your players a straight-up fight like they're used to. Fireballs expand to fill available space (seriously, look up the volume of a stock D&D fireball one of these days, they're loving immense)

Not in 3e. I think it just radiates out until it hits something it can't break through. Kinda a shame, since the old way let you do a lot of way more interesting things with it, but it's a LOT easier to deal with.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe

The Werle posted:

I'm going to lay down some harsh truth here, but its pretty much inescapable.

Redcloak is a goblin. He will never overcome Xykon to be the evil overlord, he'll never upgrade from lackey. D&D's glass ceiling is both firm and opaque, nothing gets through.

Goblin warriors are low level enemies, sure.

Redcloak fought Miko to a draw. He has at least as many cleric levels as she has paladin levels, if not more.

Character race doesn't matter when you have the PC class levels to be a badass. My group learned this from a group of kobold monks.

Lafarga
Apr 18, 2002

by Fistgrrl

Zereth posted:

Not in 3e. I think it just radiates out until it hits something it can't break through. Kinda a shame, since the old way let you do a lot of way more interesting things with it, but it's a LOT easier to deal with.

Yeah, I just checked. A 3E fireball is just a simple 20' radius. But a "first edition" (yes I have an original PB hanging around yes I'm a dork) fireball... in typical Gygax language:

"The burst of a the fireball does not expend a considerable amount of pressure, and the burst will generally conform to the shape of the area in which it occurs, thus covering an area equal to its normal spherical volume. [The area which is covered by the fireball is a total volume of roughly 33,000 cubic feet.]"

Back in the day, it was often amusing to watch magic-users nuke their own parties by setting off fireballs in enclosed areas. There's an offically-published adventure in some old Dungeon issue (god I'm decrepid) that involves an optional "you done hosed up now" fight against about 500 "level 0" cultists inside an underground temple, and it includes a sidebar about "what to do if one of your magic-users is crazy enough to cast fireball in here". Fun times, when you're 15.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe

CoolCab posted:

But he can't let Xykon get fragged at the start of the battle! One of his Meteor Swarms takes out like 70 of the enemy low-level punks. Redcloak would be a fool to throw away the firepower edge his boss provides even for a big distraction.

And you all know The Werle is right. Goblins is bitches and that's all there is to it.

The Werle
Aug 8, 2005

Fireworks for Christmas is absolutely American

IMJack posted:

Goblin warriors are low level enemies, sure.

Redcloak fought Miko to a draw. He has at least as many cleric levels as she has paladin levels, if not more.

Character race doesn't matter when you have the PC class levels to be a badass. My group learned this from a group of kobold monks.
NPC vs NPC battles are meaningless except for narrative means. The DM screen dictates their actions!

SuperKlaus posted:

And you all know The Werle is right. Goblins is bitches and that's all there is to it.

:hellyeah:

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

SuperKlaus posted:

But he can't let Xykon get fragged at the start of the battle! One of his Meteor Swarms takes out like 70 of the enemy low-level punks. Redcloak would be a fool to throw away the firepower edge his boss provides even for a big distraction.

Xykon never seems to actually do anything in a fight when he has the option to send wave after wave of his own men into the fray, that's central to the villiany credo. Plus it could be risky to let him unload the heavy artillery considering what happens if some friendly fire hits the gate.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

IMJack posted:

I thought that near the end, Miko gained an upper hand, and just as she was about to go Smite Evil on him, Xykon put her in the force cage spell or whatever it's called because I'm too lazy to look it up.

Spaz mk. 2.0
Apr 19, 2005

Shank 'em if ya got 'em, fellas!

the_steve posted:

I thought that near the end, Miko gained an upper hand, and just as she was about to go Smite Evil on him, Xykon put her in the force cage spell or whatever it's called because I'm too lazy to look it up.

Xykon's Moderatetly Escapeable Forcecage I believe it was. She beat him, but was pretty beat up, and had to heal herself before that even. Not to mention if she had rolled lower on some of those spells she would have been killed outright. She's no longer a paladin, so he'd waste her pretty easily if they have a second match before she becomes a blackguard or atones.

Jon
Nov 30, 2004

CoolCab posted:

Xykon never seems to actually do anything in a fight when he has the option to send wave after wave of his own men into the fray, that's central to the villiany credo. Plus it could be risky to let him unload the heavy artillery considering what happens if some friendly fire hits the gate.

Maybe evocation is one of his prohibited schools?

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

High Altitude Hair Stylist posted:

Maybe evocation is one of his prohibited schools?

Sorcerers don't choose prohibited schools. Also, he's fried his own minions with lightning on more than one occasion.

Jon
Nov 30, 2004

Sorcerers don't choose prohibited schools. Also, he's fried his own minions with lightning on more than one occasion.

Ah, I figured he was a wizard (and it's been a while since I read the archives).

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
Xykon is shown specifically casting Meteor Swarm in one of the bonus strips in the second book, so even if Rich did give a drat about limiting sorcerer spells known it would be there. An' it can take out a ton of loser human soldiers without threatening the gate because the gate is so far from the city walls.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

the_steve posted:

The conversation between the Redcloak and Xykon afterwards tends to imply that he was basically throwing the fight to make sure she got trapped.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

SuperKlaus posted:

Xykon is shown specifically casting Meteor Swarm in one of the bonus strips in the second book, so even if Rich did give a drat about limiting sorcerer spells known it would be there. An' it can take out a ton of loser human soldiers without threatening the gate because the gate is so far from the city walls.

There are bonus strips in the second book?!

What about the first?