Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bingo
Aug 18, 2003

:frogsiren: New strip up! :frogsiren:

quote:

And you don't link to it?

I have no idea what you're talking about! :tinfoil:

Bingo fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Feb 22, 2007

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
You know, one guy with Combat Reflexes, Great Cleave, and Hold the Line really just tears the poo poo out of situations like this.

bgaesop
Nov 1, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Bingo posted:

:frogsiren: New strip up! :frogsiren::

And you don't link to it?

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0417.html

edit: Now that I have read it... wow. If you told me this time last year that I would be honestly concerned about the fates (and sex lives!) of fictional, DnD based stick figures, I don't know what I would have said.

bgaesop fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Feb 22, 2007

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
This strip was supposed to be moving, but I think it kinda fell flat. The discussion about the chances of rolling a 20 and dying to a massed attack felt more like a dry mission briefing than a grim, beady-eyed lecture; I wish we could've gotten to the actual fight and just shown a bunch of dead bodies afterwards if it was that important.

Gassire
Dec 30, 2004

"They're people. Deeply flawed, yes, but deeply human too. And maybe that's saying the same thing."

Wanderer posted:

You know, one guy with Combat Reflexes, Great Cleave, and Hold the Line really just tears the poo poo out of situations like this.

I think I'd prefer Whirlwind Attack, Great Cleave, and a Dire Chain.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
Eh, Hold the Line is easier to get.

Battlestar Ferrinus posted:

This strip was supposed to be moving, but I think it kinda fell flat. The discussion about the chances of rolling a 20 and dying to a massed attack felt more like a dry mission briefing than a grim, beady-eyed lecture; I wish we could've gotten to the actual fight and just shown a bunch of dead bodies afterwards if it was that important.

In a way, you could look at it as a meta-joke about trying to take death or combat in AD&D seriously.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
What kind of a jackass commander makes sure you know how futile your situation is right before the fight? Jesus, does he crash 5 year olds' birthday parties just to make sure they understand that we all die someday?

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
Yeah, that commander really knows how to pump out the morale bonuses.

Also I can't be the only one who thought Haley was going downtown in that last panel, I did a double take before I read it.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Gyges posted:

What kind of a jackass commander makes sure you know how futile your situation is right before the fight? Jesus, does he crash 5 year olds' birthday parties just to make sure they understand that we all die someday?

I think it was funny that he's bitching about low morale, because Haley gave encouragement that very likely BOOSTED a little bit of morale.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

Gyges posted:

The door thuds once, twice, then splinters from its hinges. The clown looks up, neglected balloon animal dying a raspberry death. The air is still, tense. The intruder crouches down, lowering himself, his nose almost pressed up against the nearest child's as he peers into frightened eyes with a grim glare.

"You are one step closer to death this day," he whispers harshly, the sound carrying across the room. "One less year of life before you end up in the cold, cold earth. Enjoy your cake... while it lasts."

Then, gone, as quick as he arrived. Silence fills the air. Shortly, the crying begins.

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

"phphphphphphpht"? this is what you're going with?

you sure?

Fuego Fish posted:

The door thuds once, twice, then splinters from its hinges. The clown looks up, neglected balloon animal dying a raspberry death. The air is still, tense. The intruder crouches down, lowering himself, his nose almost pressed up against the nearest child's as he peers into frightened eyes with a grim glare.

"You are one step closer to death this day," he whispers harshly, the sound carrying across the room. "One less year of life before you end up in the cold, cold earth. Enjoy your cake... while it lasts."

Then, gone, as quick as he arrived. Silence fills the air. Shortly, the crying begins.
Bard prestige class, the Anti-Clown. Write it up. You know you want to.

Edit: Also this.

Tupperwarez fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Feb 22, 2007

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe

Battlestar Ferrinus posted:

There are bonus strips in the second book?!

What about the first?

They're present there too. Greater quantity, I think, and I'd also say greater quality. Also commentaries from Burlew (did you know lots of people didn't get the Green Lantern joke when Xykon met those lantern archons? I got it...). Order of the Stick is the only webcomic I've been driven to buy in print and it's totally worth it.

Tag Plastic
Jun 10, 2006

Not organic.
:siren:New strip:siren:

Knob gags.

Volga Boatman
Sep 22, 2006

By striving to do the impossible, man has always achieved what is possible

Fuego Fish posted:

"For you, there is no more cake. You have reached the end of cake"

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Tag Plastic posted:

:siren:New strip:siren:

Knob gags.

One giant penis joke, brilliant.
Honestly, could have done without Belkar, he didn't really serve a purpose for this one.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
Aw, somebody had to put the capper on the whole thing. I'm glad it was him.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
Hay now I get to be the obsessive-compulsive nut who does this! :f5:

New strip http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0419.html

Blackguard question answered? Also, Astral pools...every third strip I feel I've sunk to even nerdier depths.

The Werle
Aug 8, 2005

Fireworks for Christmas is absolutely American

SuperKlaus posted:

Hay now I get to be the obsessive-compulsive nut who does this! :f5:

New strip http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0419.html

Blackguard question answered? Also, Astral pools...every third strip I feel I've sunk to even nerdier depths.

You gotta post this with some :frogsiren:s man, you know, really shout it out.

Wouldn't the anti-magic prison affect Sabine's regenerative abilities?

Tag Plastic
Jun 10, 2006

Not organic.
:siren: New strip! :siren:

Bad guys bitching.

:fake edit :argh:SuperKlaus:argh:

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.

The Werle posted:

You gotta post this with some :frogsiren:s man, you know, really shout it out.

Wouldn't the anti-magic prison affect Sabine's regenerative abilities?

Maybe that's why her neck is still twisted around. :)

The Werle
Aug 8, 2005

Fireworks for Christmas is absolutely American

Rincewind posted:

Maybe that's why her neck is still twisted around. :)

Yeah, but shouldn't she be dead instead?

NutShellBill
Dec 4, 2004
I AM SPUTNIK'S PARACHUTE ACCOUNT
I think the most important thing to note is that Miko STILL doesn't think she's fallen, or what she did was evil.

Once the jailbreak occurs during the battle, (and it will happen, trust me), I think Sabine shapeshifts into a Cleric who offers Miko a chance to fight evil again, which she'll gladly sign anything to do.

Also, I think we're less than 15 strips away from Belkar dying. Of course it IS high level D & D, so that's mostly just an inconvenience.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

The Werle posted:

Yeah, but shouldn't she be dead instead?

Do Outsiders even use their neck/spine?

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

I think the neck staying snapped was a comedic effect thing, it'll be all better in the next strip

Spikey
May 12, 2001

From my cold, dead hands!

Nale sure didn't waste any time growing his goatee back.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006
I believe the appropriate comedic line is "oh snap."

i'msorryi'msorrypleasepleasedon'tkillmei'llbegood

BondageHoudini
Jul 12, 2006

this debate lacks any sexual intrigue so I am not even paying attention
I liked Miko in this strip. She may be a total bitch, but she's not delusional just yet. I could see her atoning at some point during the battle just as much as I could see her going Blackguard, and either way I get the feeling she might turn the tide in favour of whatever alignment she chooses.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe

green leaf salad posted:

I liked Miko in this strip. She may be a total bitch, but she's not delusional just yet. I could see her atoning at some point during the battle just as much as I could see her going Blackguard, and either way I get the feeling she might turn the tide in favour of whatever alignment she chooses.

Her atonement could be fascinating and would earn the strip some big points for not doing what everyone expects to happen, but, well, I think what everyone expects to happen will happen and she'll become Blackguard. One, because Rich has made it clear he intended for her to be an antagonist and not a nice person. Two, because her recent actions kinda kill her power to be an antagonist who's still on the good side of the fence. Three, because I agree she could be a battle-turner and I think the strip would be lots more interesting if allows the bad guys a threatening victory. That's just how stories go, you know? Xykon could capture Azure City but not gain ultimate power through a simple revelation that he needs more than one gate to control the Snarl.

cultureulterior
Jan 27, 2004
Astral Plane. Pools.

That was the funniest line yet.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

cultureulterior posted:

Astral Plane. Pools.

That was the funniest line yet.

I never liked the planes, what's the big deal about astral pools? :3:

Gassire
Dec 30, 2004

"They're people. Deeply flawed, yes, but deeply human too. And maybe that's saying the same thing."
I don't know if it's changed since 2nd edition but Astral Pools used to be randomly created circles of luminescent water that could used to scry on anyplace in the multiverse.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Am I the only one amused by the Gobwin Knob comics?

Vorxnyx
Sep 4, 2002

they told me how to make this implant
they said it would make a better me of me
No, you're not the only one. I've enjoyed them so far. The most recent few have fallen behind in quality a bit, I think, but they're still entertaining, and I like the art in general.

NutShellBill
Dec 4, 2004
I AM SPUTNIK'S PARACHUTE ACCOUNT
I like Erfworld too. It's kinda cutesy, but forgivably so, because there's a reason for it. OoTS started off rather slow for me too, I'm hoping it picks up.

ZorbaTHut
May 5, 2005

wake me when the world is saved
I'm enjoying it a bit. It's sufficiently entertaining that I continue to read it. I hope the plot gets on track a bit more, right now I don't feel much connection to any character in any way, but I'm still giving it a chance.

There's also a few clever subtleties that seem to be intentional. For one thing, the parts of the Real World that we've seen has a very different coloring style from the fantasy world. But the thing that truly intruiges me: The Arkenhammer is 3d rendered.

No, seriously. Look at it. (Even in the background.) It's not like it would be complicated to draw - the guy probably spends more effort posing and 3d-rendering it than he would to just draw the fucker. And nothing else has ever been 3d-rendered. What does it mean? I have no idea, but I suspect it will have plot significance.

Ununnilium
Oct 23, 2006

An imperfect duplicate of love

ZorbaTHut posted:

I'm enjoying it a bit. It's sufficiently entertaining that I continue to read it. I hope the plot gets on track a bit more, right now I don't feel much connection to any character in any way, but I'm still giving it a chance.

This is pretty much how I feel about it, as well. It's not so good that I would have started reading it if it hadn't been linked from Order of the Stick, but it's good enough that, now that it's got my attention, it's holding onto it.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
:siren: New strip! :siren:

Maybe I need a refresher on Belkar's Mark, but isn't he still useless in this situation?

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

He can't kill inside the city, but I think he can hinder.

Sergeant Rock
Apr 28, 2002

"... call the expert at kissing and stuff..."
Can't he just climb down the wall and batter the gently caress out of everything doing the sieging?

Also, the Mark may not count against unliving enemies...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RickoniX
Dec 4, 2005

A human or elf?

NO NOT A BADGER YOU GOON

ZorbaTHut posted:

There's also a few clever subtleties that seem to be intentional. For one thing, the parts of the Real World that we've seen has a very different coloring style from the fantasy world. But the thing that truly intruiges me: The Arkenhammer is 3d rendered.

No, seriously. Look at it. (Even in the background.) It's not like it would be complicated to draw - the guy probably spends more effort posing and 3d-rendering it than he would to just draw the fucker. And nothing else has ever been 3d-rendered. What does it mean? I have no idea, but I suspect it will have plot significance.

What the hell, was that always like that? I swear it used to be drawn regularly.