Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Lower those eyebrows, young man. And the other one.

ZorbaTHut posted:

I'm enjoying it a bit. It's sufficiently entertaining that I continue to read it. I hope the plot gets on track a bit more, right now I don't feel much connection to any character in any way, but I'm still giving it a chance.

There's also a few clever subtleties that seem to be intentional. For one thing, the parts of the Real World that we've seen has a very different coloring style from the fantasy world. But the thing that truly intruiges me: The Arkenhammer is 3d rendered.

No, seriously. Look at it. (Even in the background.) It's not like it would be complicated to draw - the guy probably spends more effort posing and 3d-rendering it than he would to just draw the fucker. And nothing else has ever been 3d-rendered. What does it mean? I have no idea, but I suspect it will have plot significance.

For reference all the arkentools are 3d rendered. The arken pliers are seen being wielded by Ansom.

Probably symbolizes their otherworldliness as they are supposedly the tools used to build the world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Is it just me, or is Hinjo kind of a dick?

I know the situation is kind of hectic, but I can't shake the feeling that he likes having the Order by the balls as it were.

Vomax
Oct 12, 2005

?

the_steve posted:

I know the situation is kind of hectic, but I can't shake the feeling that he likes having the Order by the balls as it were.

He's still a Lawful Good paladin and feels (perhaps rightfully so) that the OotS conspired with Shojo to circumvent the rules. I think it's understandable for him to think that, although he needs their help, they are still lawbreakers and deserve to be dealt with as such.

wodin
Jul 12, 2001

What do you do with a drunken Viking?

the_steve posted:

Detailing a scheme for circumventing the law in front of a Lawful character will almost always get that kind of reaction. I've actually been guilty of that in a campaign once - we got together in a bar to plot out a mansion heist but neglected to notice the local sheriff sitting the next table over. Whoops.

Yeah, it's somewhat of a dick move, but at this point he's charged with seeing to the safety of his populace and all he's got are a bunch of loose-cannon heroes where literally the only lever on them is their goodwill and Belkar. So yeah, there's a certain amount of ball-crushing going on.

Kangaroo Jerk
Jul 23, 2000

the_steve posted:

I saw his reaction as a deliberate contrast to the earlier wizard who teleported the OotS around, only to be ignored and condescended to. In this, Hinjo is saying, "Hey, I matter."

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
Belkar would have fairly compelling grounds for a law suit against the local government if they survive.

ZorbaTHut
May 5, 2005

wake me when the world is saved

RickoniX posted:

What the hell, was that always like that? I swear it used to be drawn regularly.

From the beginning. I remember noticing it because it was so distinct. :)

farraday posted:

For reference all the arkentools are 3d rendered. The arken pliers are seen being wielded by Ansom.

Probably symbolizes their otherworldliness as they are supposedly the tools used to build the world.

Dammit I even looked for the other arkentools and couldn't find them. What page is that on?

One note: the Titans aren't 3d. So the whole otherworldliness thing doesn't apply to them, apparently.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
:siren: New strip! :siren:

Good to see Elan's still an idiot at his core. I was really afraid he was going to get all competent on us. Betcha we get a three-page package o' action Monday!

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

SuperKlaus posted:

:siren: New strip! :siren:

Good to see Elan's still an idiot at his core. I was really afraid he was going to get all competent on us. Betcha we get a three-page package o' action Monday!

I love that he went right back to the "Do do do the thing as I sing" song as soon as he messes up.

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Some Guy posted:

You Suck!

That's what you call losing the crowd.

About the Arkenpliers, they were seen in Erfworld 21 and 22 being semi inconspicuous at Ansoms side.

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/erf0021.html
http://www.giantitp.com/comics/erf0022.html

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

the_steve posted:

I love that he went right back to the "Do do do the thing as I sing" song as soon as he messes up.
Well, taking another class on his last level certainly didn't help him this time. Although I doubt it would have been better if he did take another level of bard...

Spaceship Zero
Jul 24, 2006

The soul of vengeance is a robot dinosaur
Took me a minute to remember why V does have so many Heroism potions.

Oh continuity, you scamp.

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Rolled a 1 on the random encounter table, didn't you?

Spaceship Zero posted:

Took me a minute to remember why V does have so many Heroism potions.

Oh continuity, you scamp.

Refresh my memory.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

clockworkjoe posted:

Refresh my memory.

There is an NPC shop that sells them for less than they cost to make.
V tries to explain how they're losing money because of this, but they keep swearing that they'll make money by selling so much of them.

Once s/he has made every honest attempt to correct them of the error (to no avail), V decides that his/her conscience has been appeased, and proceeds to stock up at discount prices.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
Well, Erfworld just killed any chance its author had of not being seen as "creepy pervert++"

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

Wolfsheim posted:

Well, Erfworld just killed any chance its author had of not being seen as "creepy pervert++"

Yeah, it cured my incurable optimism about it. Oh, Erfworld, you could have been neat :smith:

Stopgap
May 26, 2003

That's MISTER Freeze to you!

the_steve posted:

There is an NPC shop that sells them for less than they cost to make.
V tries to explain how they're losing money because of this, but they keep swearing that they'll make money by selling so much of them.

Once s/he has made every honest attempt to correct them of the error (to no avail), V decides that his/her conscience has been appeased, and proceeds to stock up at discount prices.

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0135.html

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.
On Erfworld: It seems to me he was aiming for subtext that would be present but not intrusive on the story. But he went too heavy and now it's creepy & crappy. To be fair, subtlety is a tricky thing and he only screwed up a bit, but a little goes a long way.

That said, it also totally sucks for a different reason, that being that we have no clue what's going on or why it matters.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

HitTheTargets posted:

On Erfworld: It seems to me he was aiming for subtext that would be present but not intrusive on the story. But he went too heavy and now it's creepy & crappy. To be fair, subtlety is a tricky thing and he only screwed up a bit, but a little goes a long way.

That said, it also totally sucks for a different reason, that being that we have no clue what's going on or why it matters.

It wouldn't be totally out there for them to be loving, would it?

I don't like the comic myself, but a webcomic with lesbians and implied fetishism saints preserve us.

Jonked
Feb 15, 2005

HitTheTargets posted:

Honestly I hope he keeps taking it farther and farther, until the whole thing is a clusterfuck on a Faithmouse level.

But that's probably just me.

Vorxnyx
Sep 4, 2002

they told me how to make this implant
they said it would make a better me of me
Oh god yeah that latest Erfworld was a big "DO NOT WANT" moment. I hope this subtext doesn't happen very often because frankly it's an angle I just don't want to know about.

Gally
May 31, 2001

Come on!
Its like the Erfworld guy just can't make up his mind what kinda story he wants. So he's crammed about 3 different types in there.

Agent_grey
Jan 8, 2007

Scrub-a-Dub-Dub!
I dub the original poster an UTTER BASTARD! i have now read all of the comic to the present strip and I now have to wait for more.

How dare you link me to awesome stuff that I like and find incredibly funny. You arse-hat you! :mad:

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

:siren: New strip is up! :siren:

Oh man, Redcloak is in charge of the show now!

rantmo fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Mar 6, 2007

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
Well I'll be jiggered. I guess he wants Azure City so bad it's given him stoneskin balls. I wonder if he's really got the power in him to rebuke Xykon?

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.

rantmo posted:

:siren: New strip is up! :siren:

Oh man, Redcloak is in charge of the show now!

I don't think he is, actually. Granted, as the only one concerned with a battle plan, and the army answering to him, yes, he's in charge of the actual battle-fighting.

But... I don't think Xykon appeared in today's strip. I think that's a Skeleton in a robe.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Redcloak, we hardly knew ye.

maltesh posted:

But... I don't think Xykon appeared in today's strip. I think that's a Skeleton in a robe.

Oooh, didn't think of that. That would explain alot.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

maltesh posted:

Oh dammit all, I think you're right.

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

maltesh posted:

I don't think he is, actually. Granted, as the only one concerned with a battle plan, and the army answering to him, yes, he's in charge of the actual battle-fighting.

I agree, first thing I thought of.

Note the orange necklace he's wearing too, that's never been there before.

Sock
Oct 8, 2001
Do me. Do me.
It's not Xykon. Xykon is (usually) drawn with evil :mad: eyes, not round ones. :colbert:

edit: This comic probably explains Redcloak's rage towards Azure City.

Sock fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Mar 6, 2007

LuchadoresDelNixon
Feb 7, 2007

Moonbase Alpha provides a realistic simulation of life on a natural satellite
Crap. And I was so hoping that Redcloak was wearing the pants now.

Azure City is screwed, huh?

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

Sock posted:

It's not Xykon. Xykon is drawn with evil :mad: eyes, not round ones. :colbert:

That's not always true as seen here but the necklace he's got is new and since all undead talk in the reverse color word bubbles, it's totally not Xykon.

Also: :zombie: :drac:

rantmo fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Mar 6, 2007

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

maltesh posted:

I would like to have it on record that it was me who totally called this

:drac:

Shavnir
Apr 5, 2005

A MAN'S DREAM CAN NEVER DIE

rantmo posted:

as seen here

Wait a second...I thought Hinjo said the snarl's prison couldn't be moved? But what is that thing in Soon's hands in the 11th panel?

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Shavnir posted:

Wait a second...I thought Hinjo said the snarl's prison couldn't be moved? But what is that thing in Soon's hands in the 11th panel?

Shojo is an old man, he probably just remembered differently. Let the man rest in peace. :colbert:

Women's Rights?
Nov 16, 2005

Ain't give a damn
I liked the way he set up the double strip today, side by side. I know it's silly but the positioning of it really does make it feel quite epic. I can't imagine how bad rear end this battle is going to be.

My preditions:
Azure City is going to be barraged constantly. Cannons will take out the prison cells and release the Linear Guild. Miko will be trapped, wounded, and Nale will have Thogg pick her up and take her with them - she owes her life to them now and they're against the OOTS. She won't necessarily become a blackguard right away, but Sabine will corrupt her to their side.

Roy and Co. will go after Xykon. They'll find him, and he'll unleash the beast in the shadows (we still won't see what it looks like) but the beast will gently caress up whatever his big bad rear end move is and end up destroying half of Azure City with the move. Xykon will take over the tower and the Snarl. Roy will get Hinjo out of there and take whatever refugees he can into the mountains to try to recover. But I agree with an earlier post that Xykon will discover that the snarl isn't ready to be freed yet because not enough gates have been destroyed.

Of course, I could be totally wrong.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

Shavnir posted:

I'm guessing that the rift was just hanging up in the air there (remember, it's too tiny to see unless you're really close) and they were in the process of putting a gate over it at that point in the flashback.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006
...is it just me, or did the Erfworld art change dramatically between this page and the last one?

Doug Lombardi
Jan 18, 2005
Why does everyone have such a huge boner for Miko becoming a Blackguard?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Werle
Aug 8, 2005

Fireworks for Christmas is absolutely American

Endrite posted:

Why does everyone have such a huge boner for Miko becoming a Blackguard?

Because she's evil. Duh.