Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Honestly I have T-Mobile and I have never noticed any coverage problems in the Inner Richmond, I go the Clement st. between 4th and 10th area all the time and never had a problem, are you sure it wasn't a particular phone?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Debbie Metallica
Jun 7, 2001

Earwicker posted:

Honestly I have T-Mobile and I have never noticed any coverage problems in the Inner Richmond, I go the Clement st. between 4th and 10th area all the time and never had a problem, are you sure it wasn't a particular phone?

It might be older phones but I've actually talked to a couple people with that problem; my boyfriend ditched them because of it and I have a couple friends who live right by my place on 8th ave who said the same thing; they had T-Mobile and it just didn't work inside their apartments. Out on the street it had a so-so signal but indoors, nada.

minya
Sep 7, 2004

SUN RA WAS HERE IN HIS ELEMENT
he invited me back for a ride
Is craigslist still the best method of roommate-finding?

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

My current apartment is a Sprint black hole [which is kind of excusable given where I live but it's probably the building]. I forgot to check that before I moved in and had to get a phone fast. I ended up with Cingular which I have no issues with in the city.

edit: any females looking for a nice place in the Marina let me know, one of my friends is looking for a housemate to move in in April. I think the rent is $1k.

qirex fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Feb 23, 2007

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

minya posted:

Yeah, you might try tribe.net too there are a ton of sf-focused "communities" on there

Debbie Metallica
Jun 7, 2001

minya posted:

I tend to think so but if you're looking for a roommate right now in SF you best start praying. It took me two months to find someone (though my price range/the fact that I have a pet makes it tough). There's a lot of competition right now for roommates I guess.

minya
Sep 7, 2004

oh yeah. tribe.net... people actually use that? Maybe I'll check it out.

I'm planning/hoping/aiming to move to SF by July-ish/August. maybe. I guess looking for roommates without a job lined up is a bit silly :sweatdrop:

Two months is crazy long, what'd you do in the meantime?

Machine Gun
Aug 22, 2006

what a fucking nightmare
Man I'm trying to get a room in SF because I'm an AAU student who lives in the South Bay and I can tell you commuting from Sunnyvale when you're at school full time is a huge bitch. Craigslist is my best friend right now.

Oh and I was wondering if there was an way to get to downtown SF around Market St.I could get off of caltrain at Milbrae and take BART to downtown, right? Not familiar with SF's transit system right now.

Bullet Ant
May 28, 2005

Best Friend posted:

Man I'm trying to get a room in SF because I'm an AAU student who lives in the South Bay and I can tell you commuting from Sunnyvale when you're at school full time is a huge bitch. Craigslist is my best friend right now.

Oh and I was wondering if there was an way to get to downtown SF around Market St.I could get off of caltrain at Milbrae and take BART to downtown, right? Not familiar with SF's transit system right now.

Yeah. There are many BART stops in the Financial District/Union Square area along Market Street.

grutz
Mar 16, 2004

i am a BANANA!

minya posted:

oh yeah. tribe.net... people actually use that? Maybe I'll check it out.

Polyamorous burning man artists do. It's always great to meet somebody and they say "I only talk on-line through tribe, my account is HolyHumperSlutBag."

Tribe's fun but it's kind of a niche.

Kobalt
Mar 19, 2003

grutz posted:

Polyamorous burning man artists do. It's always great to meet somebody and they say "I only talk on-line through tribe, my account is HolyHumperSlutBag."

Tribe's fun but it's kind of a niche.

Wow. You're right. I thought it was just me wondering if those types were just attracted to the site for some reason.

Also, it's saturday night and I'm bored. Tell me what to do between SF and San Jose on the peninsula goons!

SnatchRabbit
Feb 23, 2006

by sebmojo
I'm staying at the Ramada at 8th and Market. What's a chill, not too expensive bar to down a few and meet some cool people. Mainly looking for other twenty-something hang-outs with a decent mix of college kids and young professionals (I'm 24). Wandering about town I checked out The Gold Dust Lounge, Lefty O'dhouls (sp) and some other place I think it was called Foley's or something. Anyone have some good suggestions for the Powell/geary/Market area around Union Sq?

Bullet Ant
May 28, 2005

SnatchRabbit posted:

I'm staying at the Ramada at 8th and Market. What's a chill, not too expensive bar to down a few and meet some cool people. Mainly looking for other twenty-something hang-outs with a decent mix of college kids and young professionals (I'm 24). Wandering about town I checked out The Gold Dust Lounge, Lefty O'dhouls (sp) and some other place I think it was called Foley's or something. Anyone have some good suggestions for the Powell/geary/Market area around Union Sq?

I like Edinburgh Castle at Geary & Larkin, although I don't know about the "Young Professionals" part. It's in the Tenderloin (which isn't the best area), but you should be fine if you keep your head up.

Debbie Metallica
Jun 7, 2001

minya posted:

I'm planning/hoping/aiming to move to SF by July-ish/August. maybe. I guess looking for roommates without a job lined up is a bit silly :sweatdrop:

Two months is crazy long, what'd you do in the meantime?

Well, it's tough to look for roommates that far in advance at the very least since in my experience roommate searches are very last minute. I have found very few people who are ready to see people at the beginning of the month for a sublet/roommate agreement beginning at the end of the month. They typically want someone right away so they look exactly when they need someone which is frustrating.

My current roommate wanted more space so his GF could move in and he could use my bedroom as his office; he gave me two months to look which was cool and very necessary, unfortunately.

Swivel Master
Oct 10, 2004

Floating in much the same way that bricks don't.

Bullet Ant posted:

I like Edinburgh Castle at Geary & Larkin, although I don't know about the "Young Professionals" part. It's in the Tenderloin (which isn't the best area), but you should be fine if you keep your head up.

I was there a few weeks ago. Nice place and they have live music sometimes... actual rock music!

SnatchRabbit
Feb 23, 2006

by sebmojo
Any good, cheap places to get breakfast around 8th and Market?

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Heh I was just at Ediburgh Castle on Sat. night, that place is awesome. Great beer and you can order fish and chips and they'll go get it from the place around the corner, greasy as hell but its so goon, especially the prawns and onion rings. On the weekends there are bands but the place is also a sort of literary spot and they have poetry readings and such there pretty frequently.

Also in the general Union Square/Downtown area is the Irish Bank which is on a small side street, I think off of Bush near Grant or thereabouts. It can fill up with an after work crowd pretty quickly but the chips and curry is worth it.

Also the Tunnel Top is somewhat near that area, its also a pretty nice bar and usually has some great art.

grutz posted:

Polyamorous burning man artists do.

Yeah, thats the basic Tribes demographic - but thats a pretty sizable chunk of the city's population.

SnatchRabbit posted:

Any good, cheap places to get breakfast around 8th and Market?

Well I'm never really in that area in the morning and I don't know what you like to eat for breakfast but Taqueria Cancun at 6th and Market is great cheap Mexican. Nothing fancy, but they do it right. Also, there's a farmers market on Wednesdays on Market between 7th and 8th, lots of great produce for cheap and you can get samosas and tamales to eat right there from various stands, also cheap and very good.

Best Friend posted:

No need to get off at Millbrae, stay on the train till you get to the 4th and King station, which is in SoMa. That's walking distance to the general downtown area, but if you don't feel like walking you can get the N-Judah Muni line (right next to the Caltrain station) which will take you up the the Embarcadero station, which is about as downtown as you can get.

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Feb 26, 2007

14mission
Dec 17, 2005
foo
Whew--finally caught up with this thread.

I'm an SF native, and a transit geek, and could talk about lots of stuff--but the one thing that jumps out at me here that nobody's mentioned yet is Mitchell's Ice Cream.

http://www.mitchellsicecream.com

It's at 29th and San Jose.

Right now, it's pouring rain, and I bet there's still people waiting in line there. I've seen it before, and it's that good.

My favorite is their rum raisin, but if you want to try something different, go for ube (purple). But even the vanilla is awesome.

SnatchRabbit
Feb 23, 2006

by sebmojo
im heading into japan town in a bit. so far all im planning on hitting up is kinokuniya bookshop. are there any more cool anime shops or other stuff worth chekcing out in j-town

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

SnatchRabbit posted:

im heading into japan town in a bit. so far all im planning on hitting up is kinokuniya bookshop. are there any more cool anime shops or other stuff worth chekcing out in j-town
You can see the whole thing in about 15 minutes so there's Japantown video and the model store on the first floor of the main building in addition to the bookstore. The stationery store has some neat stuff you probably won't see elsewhere. Super 7 on Post street across from the hotel is cool for urban vinyl stuff if you're into that.

If you're going to eat, get ramen at Suzu.

minya
Sep 7, 2004

qirex posted:

If you're going to eat, get ramen at Suzu.
or udon/soba at Mifune

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Honestly, downtown San Mateo is more of a Japantown than Japantown.

SnatchRabbit
Feb 23, 2006

by sebmojo

Earwicker posted:

Honestly, downtown San Mateo is more of a Japantown than Japantown.

really? anything over there i should check out?

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

SnatchRabbit posted:

really? anything over there i should check out?

I don't really know the name of anything specific there, I've only been through a few times, but there are a ton of sushi places and other Japanese restaurants (like 5 Japanese places for every 1 non-japanese place), at least one pretty big "miscellaneous japanese stuff" store, and a really nice Japanese garden in the middle of town, complete with ugly fish and everything.

Nothing extraordinary, I guess there's just a large Japanese population in that town for some reason. But still it feels much more like a town with a lot of Japanese stuff as opposed to Japantown which always struck me as more of a Japan-themed mall.

Orange Cream Soda
Oct 14, 2005
anyone have any recommendations for east bay hookah lounges?

i'm having a hookah meet over in the goonmeets subforum, but need some places to go, not just people willing to attend

SnatchRabbit
Feb 23, 2006

by sebmojo
WHAT ARE SOME GOOD CHEAP CRABSHACKS/SEAFOOD JOINTS?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

TrueClash
Dec 22, 2003
I put cocaine in a little girl's rubber ducky
There's a couple seafood joints along Hyde that are supposed to be pretty good. One at Hyde and California that I can't remember the name of, and one a little before Hyde and Pacific called Hyde Seafood.

As far as drinking or any sort of social activities outside of shopping, I tend to stay away from Market Street on evenings and weekends. There's some good stuff in SoMa but I don't venture there too often. There are a lot of good places around Polk street, but maybe I'm saying that because I like to stay in my neigborhood.

Also, for the alcohol inclined, there's a pretty nifty yahoo group called SF Diver Bars. Goes to a different dive every other Thursday. I enjoy it, you might as well.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
What's it like to own dogs in San Francisco? It seems like there are plenty of dog parks, and I'm sure my guys would love the beaches. How hard would it be to find a townhouse to rent or something with a tiny bit of grass in the back for poopin'?

ixo
Sep 8, 2004

m'bloaty

Fun Shoe
I'll be moving to the city probably in July. How far ahead of time should I start calling up places from craigslist and trying to get a place? 1 month? Anytime I hear of my friends moving in SF it's always hurredly at the last minute. Do I have to find a place and then get my poo poo there immediately within 3 days?

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

warwick5s posted:

What's it like to own dogs in San Francisco? It seems like there are plenty of dog parks, and I'm sure my guys would love the beaches. How hard would it be to find a townhouse to rent or something with a tiny bit of grass in the back for poopin'?

I'm not sure how hard it is to find places that allow pets because I've never looked, but a suprising amount of even small apartments have access to a yard. I know a lot of people who live in very busy, urban neighborhoods but they have a backyard you can go into and completely forget you are in the city. It seems like a ton of people own dogs here so I'm sure you'll find something.

Debbie Metallica
Jun 7, 2001

warwick5s posted:

I do not own a dog but have a cat; for me, it's tough to find a place where Izzy is welcome that is within my price range. I've been told it is about 10x harder for dogs. If you have a lot of money and can pay a lot in rent you'll find you have more opportunities. Yard access isn't too hard to find, though. Your main concern will just be finding a place for your doggie to begin with if you're on a tight budget.

ixo, in my experience you can't really start much earlier than 1 month because when a landlord puts up an apartment they want someone in it immediately, be it the middle of the month or some random week. It's incredibly frustrating and it pisses me off to no end because it is absolutely impossible to plan ahead here. In fact, every time I have found a new place to live it has been in the second half of the month. The last time I moved (last WEEK in fact) I didn't even know I had an actual place to live in until the week before. When you're looking for apartments, if you're not ready to move ASAP they'll give the place to someone else who will. My boyfriend and I had this happen to us back in January--- we found a great place that we really loved and it was about 2 weeks before the end of the month. He told the landlord that our move-in date would need to be the first and bam, no place. They gave it to someone who could move in the day after signing the lease. Motherfuckers. Their loss though, I think the only other people who filled out an app besides us were a bunch of frat boys. I overheard them talking about where they're going to put the keg for their parties at the open house. Since the landlord lives in the building, a fun time will be had by all.

Zoccoli
Feb 12, 2004

Everything that stands will be at odds with its neighbor, and everything that falls will perish without grace

ixo posted:

I'll be moving to the city probably in July. How far ahead of time should I start calling up places from craigslist and trying to get a place? 1 month? Anytime I hear of my friends moving in SF it's always hurredly at the last minute. Do I have to find a place and then get my poo poo there immediately within 3 days?
I'm in the final stages of getting an apartment right now (:woop: ), and it's been hectic. I started looking seriously on craigslist on 2/28, and there were tons of "MOVE IN ASAP" ads, some of which I got responses to. Around this time of the month, most of the ads will be for either the beginning of next month or for as soon as possible. The ASAP ads won't consider anyone not willing to move in right away, and not many people will take you seriously if you're looking for a place further down the line than next month. In my case, I'm willing to pay for this month, even though I can't move for another week or two, just so that I can actually get the apartment with enough prep time beforehand. I think as long as you're willing to pay up front, most people won't mind if you don't move in right then, but that's probably going to vary from person to person. Good luck!

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Ozma posted:

D'oh, I forgot about Sprint.

Dammit! I'm trying to make a decision today! And Sprint looks appealing since their night minutes start much earlier than all the others do...

Motherfucking cellphone decisions!

I have Cingular and my girlfriend has Sprint. We live at 7th & Fulton. Inside our apartment, I get either zero or one bar, and drop calls all the time. My girlfriend's phone seems fine. I've never really noticed problems anywhere else in the Bay (lived in Berkeley for two years), but I'm going to be switching to Sprint this month.

warwick5s posted:

I don't have a dog, but I want one, so when I was looking for my place I always looked for allows pets first. The fact that you already have dogs is good, because landlords who allow dogs tend to give priority to people who already have them. You're going to have to work your rear end off to find a place though, because competition for dog-allowing apartments is fierce and places get snatched up REALLY quick. A nice affordable place that allows dogs will be rented within a day or two of being posted, usually.

Papercut fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Mar 6, 2007

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
Yeah, I've been using housingmaps.com just to get a feel for pricing and stuff, and once you check that "dogs" filter you drop from 30 to 3 available places in just about every price range. :( There was a sweet 3br townhouse with a 1car for $2200/mo, and it lasted about a week.

My girlfriend and I are paying around $2000 a month for my house in Madison (mortgage + winter utilities bill rapeage.) I don't really see us making LESS money in SF vs. Madison, so it seems like we'd be able to rent a decent place for similar money.

Debbie Metallica
Jun 7, 2001

warwick5s posted:

Yeah, I've been using housingmaps.com just to get a feel for pricing and stuff, and once you check that "dogs" filter you drop from 30 to 3 available places in just about every price range. :( There was a sweet 3br townhouse with a 1car for $2200/mo, and it lasted about a week.

My girlfriend and I are paying around $2000 a month for my house in Madison (mortgage + winter utilities bill rapeage.) I don't really see us making LESS money in SF vs. Madison, so it seems like we'd be able to rent a decent place for similar money.

Hmmm, yeah, you're looking in what would be about my pricerange for a shared apt with pets. My boyfriend and I really, really struggled to find largish 2 bedroom or 3 bedroom apartments between $2000 and $2500. It depends on what you want in a place, really. What makes it tough is that my BF is super-duper picky with stuff. Gotta have a decent kitchen, gotta have bathroom w/ glass doors (no curtains), gotta have parking, can't be too close to the train, can't have single pane windows, blah blah. If you're NOT picky but just want to have space for a dog it will be easier, but yes---- things are snapped up IMMEDIATELY. When I have to start looking again (and I will, since where I am now is just a sublet for 3 months) I'll go back to what I did all of Jan/Feb: sit at work all day constantly refreshing craigslist. Sometimes even then you're not fast enough. :( Some complexes are pet-friendly but you won't get pet areas. For example, the Fillmore Center is dog-friendly and pet-friendly and not too far from a park but you get no real backyard. I'd rather not live in a big complex if I can avoid it, though.

Papercut posted:

I have Cingular and my girlfriend has Sprint. We live at 7th & Fulton. Inside our apartment, I get either zero or one bar, and drop calls all the time. My girlfriend's phone seems fine. I've never really noticed problems anywhere else in the Bay (lived in Berkeley for two years), but I'm going to be switching to Sprint this month.

You live right by where I used to live, hahaha. I lived between 7th and 8th on Cabrillo. :) How you liking all that construction they're doing where the old Safeway was?
But yeah, I went with Cingular and didn't get a lot of bars in my old place but now that I'm by 19th in the Sunset I get full bars and no dropped calls. It does pretty well elsewhere in Richmond depending on the building.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Ozma posted:

You live right by where I used to live, hahaha. I lived between 7th and 8th on Cabrillo. :) How you liking all that construction they're doing where the old Safeway was?
But yeah, I went with Cingular and didn't get a lot of bars in my old place but now that I'm by 19th in the Sunset I get full bars and no dropped calls. It does pretty well elsewhere in Richmond depending on the building.

I got sprayed in the face this morning by some broken water pipe at the construction site, great way to start the morning! It hasn't been bad though, probably because I have a few buildings buffering the noise. It was crazy how fast the building went down, they put the fences up and practically the next day the whole place was leveled.

minya
Sep 7, 2004

Since a lot of you are complaining about lovely cellphone service in your apartment, I'm guessing you guys dropped the landline altogether and just got a cellphone? I'm pretty sure that's what I'm going to do once I move to the city, especially since I'm not a big phone user.

PrettyhateM
Apr 17, 2002

Papercut posted:

I have Cingular and my girlfriend has Sprint. We live at 7th & Fulton.

Hey we are close! 3rd and Clement!

Captain Cool
Oct 23, 2004

This is a song about messin' with people who've been messin' with you
I can't believe this thread is still going. I have the same question as I did last year, back on page 11: does anyone have any good leads on housing in Santa Clara? Or opinions of the places near SCU?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Extortionist
Aug 31, 2001

Leave the gun. Take the cannoli.
Random question I can't seem to find an answer to:

I'm going to a show at the Independent, which is on Divisadero and Hayes. Can I find street parking nearby, is there a garage, should I just take BART/Muni?

• Locked thread