Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Krakkles
May 5, 2003

yigabit posted:

i can only describe the sound as very close to belt squeal, although it is not actually belt squeal. you know the classic belt squeal where the individual squeals eventually merge into one long squeal as the car pulls away faster?, well it the sound doesn't merge into one long squeal for me. it just squeals faster and then fades away once i reach higher rpms, aside from recording the sound i'm not too sure how to describe this and hopefully someone will know what i'm talking about.

I would think sticking idler pulley or drive pulley, but I may be wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

yigabit posted:

i've had this sound for a long time and i can't place exactly where its coming from or what causes this.

the sound appears in all sorts of weather more so than others, and in the lower rpm range, motor understrain, ie up a hill. it's not knocking, cause i know what knocking sounds like, and although i'm not familiar what pinging actually sounds like, i'm sure its not pinging because pinging suggests like it should sound like you flicking your finger at a metal surface. (correct me of i'm wrong of course)

i can only describe the sound as very close to belt squeal, although it is not actually belt squeal. you know the classic belt squeal where the individual squeals eventually merge into one long squeal as the car pulls away faster?, well it the sound doesn't merge into one long squeal for me. it just squeals faster and then fades away once i reach higher rpms, aside from recording the sound i'm not too sure how to describe this and hopefully someone will know what i'm talking about.

My car has actually started doing the same thing. It sounds like a squeaking belt or pulley, and it behaves the exact same way as you describe. It dissipates slightly when the car warms up, and virtually disappears when revved up beyond about 2500rpm. I'm assuming it's just the accessory belt or an idler pulley, at least that's what I hope it is. I know my dad's truck was doing the same thing about a year or two ago, and it eventually started doing that signature SCREEECH of a completely slipping accessory belt. He got it replaced and all is well.

yigabit
Mar 26, 2005
i have an ericofon

Krakkles + Guinness posted:

idea = idler pulley

how do i go about fixing this?
slipping on a new belt is one thing changing the pulley? lubing the crap out of it? or is this one of them take it to the mechanic things?

Net Boners
Mar 2, 2002

did you go to town with hot wheel tracks, Joan Quinn?
Is there anything fundamentally bad about a difference in camber of .5 degrees between the left and right front wheels? My left front is -1.5 and my right front is -2. I asked the guy to max out the negative camber as he could and that's what he said was the most he could get out of each. I assumed they would be closer than that but when I got the results I wasn't going to bitch and make him go redo it.

Petekill
May 14, 2005

Where's Hammond?
Well I'll call him!
I recently bought a set of 17" wheels and tires to replace the stock 15 inchers on my 2001 Saab 9-3. When I put them on, or have them put on, will I have to buy new lugbolts, or will the ones that are on the wheels now work?

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

Petekill posted:

I recently bought a set of 17" wheels and tires to replace the stock 15 inchers on my 2001 Saab 9-3. When I put them on, or have them put on, will I have to buy new lugbolts, or will the ones that are on the wheels now work?

I'd think the stock ones will work but sometimes custom wheels have different clearances than standard, so the only way to find out for sure is to try them out. Just pop one bolt out and see how it fits in the new wheel when they show up. If it seats on the countersink it'll be fine.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

LloydDobler posted:

I'd think the stock ones will work but sometimes custom wheels have different clearances than standard, so the only way to find out for sure is to try them out. Just pop one bolt out and see how it fits in the new wheel when they show up. If it seats on the countersink it'll be fine.

Take a piece of clay or putty. Push it into the new wheels. Cut it in half, so you have a profile of the angled seat. Match that to your OE lugs. If they match, you will be fine, if they don't you need new lugs. Chances are, you'll need new lugs. Most OE wheels use a round seat, most aftermarkets use an angled seat.

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

yigabit posted:

how do i go about fixing this?
slipping on a new belt is one thing changing the pulley? lubing the crap out of it? or is this one of them take it to the mechanic things?

Difficulty depends on the pulley and the engine, but it's not neurosurgery. Remove old pulley, install new one. Generally cheap and easy, though ease will depend on how it's fastened to the engine/whatever else and how much room you have to work under the hood.

Deserted
Dec 17, 2006
I can't...I can't look away!
Two questions:

I have a set of 17x8 wheels that weigh about 17 pounds each. Is this light/normal/heavy?

Also, my car came used with some weird rear end tires on it. They are VISA branded 215/45R17s. On a Saturn. I have no idea why the previous owner put on 17s, but I don't really have a problem with the wheels. My major issue: I can't find any pressure suggestions for them, and there is nothing written on the tire. I've since replaced the drive wheels with something better, but it is really time to look at the VISAs. Anyone have any idea about that particular tire, or general guidelines for 215/45R17?

Dark Solux
Dec 8, 2004

Old School Saturn God

buns of molybdenum posted:

Is there anything fundamentally bad about a difference in camber of .5 degrees between the left and right front wheels? My left front is -1.5 and my right front is -2. I asked the guy to max out the negative camber as he could and that's what he said was the most he could get out of each. I assumed they would be closer than that but when I got the results I wasn't going to bitch and make him go redo it.

A cross camber of 30' is max spec for most cars, as long as the tolerance isn't stacked with something else (like castor). All thing being equal, it would pull to the left a little bit.

What are the measurements for the rest of the suspension? Caster, SAI, toe, ect.

Net Boners
Mar 2, 2002

Dark Solux posted:

A cross camber of 30' is max spec for most cars, as long as the tolerance isn't stacked with something else (like castor). All thing being equal, it would pull to the left a little bit.

What are the measurements for the rest of the suspension? Caster, SAI, toe, ect.
code:
Castor:         Left +3.10   Right +3.33
KPI:            Left +2.74   Right +2.50
Camber:         Left -1.50   Right -2.05
Toe:            Left +0.05   Right +0.04
Setback:        -0.19
Included Angle: Left +1.25   Right +0.44
Before the alignment it was pulling to the left but it doesn't seem to be pulling now.

Net Boners fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Mar 10, 2007

Dark Solux
Dec 8, 2004

Old School Saturn God

code:
Castor:         Left +3.10   Right +3.33
KPI:            Left +2.74   Right +2.50
Camber:         Left -1.50   Right -2.05
Toe:            Left +0.05   Right +0.04
Setback:        -0.19
Included Angle: Left +1.25   Right +0.44
Before the alignment it was pulling to the left but it doesn't seem to be pulling now.

What kind of car is this?

Also he probably adjusted the camber like that to make up for road crown.

Net Boners
Mar 2, 2002

Dark Solux posted:

What kind of car is this?

Also he probably adjusted the camber like that to make up for road crown.

03 Evo 8. I asked for the front camber to be maxed out and for 0 toe.

Dark Solux
Dec 8, 2004

Old School Saturn God

03 Evo 8. I asked for the front camber to be maxed out and for 0 toe.

Did he look at the rear suspension at all? It may just be that is the limits for camber, as in it came like that from the factory (compensated for road crown) if you want more then you will have to start replacng suspension bits/ drilling different sized bolt holes to put camber bolts in.

But that should be enough negative, eh?

Net Boners
Mar 2, 2002

Dark Solux posted:

Did he look at the rear suspension at all? It may just be that is the limits for camber, as in it came like that from the factory (compensated for road crown) if you want more then you will have to start replacng suspension bits/ drilling different sized bolt holes to put camber bolts in.

But that should be enough negative, eh?

Yeah he got the rear suspension set up how I asked.

I had to get a new alignment because I had camber plates on the car (and like -2.5 degrees of camber up front) but one of the camber plates busted and I had the strut mounts and top hats replaced back to stock.

Basically all I wanted to know is if the discrepancy between the left and right camber would be bad for any reason.

Petekill
May 14, 2005

Where's Hammond?
Well I'll call him!

sharkytm posted:

Take a piece of clay or putty. Push it into the new wheels. Cut it in half, so you have a profile of the angled seat. Match that to your OE lugs. If they match, you will be fine, if they don't you need new lugs. Chances are, you'll need new lugs. Most OE wheels use a round seat, most aftermarkets use an angled seat.

I went out and looked closely at them today, and this is what I discovered. The OE wheels use an angled seat, as do the aftermarket ones. I forgot to mention, they are ASA JH8 17x7.5, +40 offset. The difference is that on the ASA wheels, the part that is angled isn't as long as on the originals. I will probably just take them to a tire shop this week to get it done, but It'd be nice to know whether I'm going to have to pony up 40 or 50 bucks for new bolts.

Kahta
Dec 31, 2006

meatpimp posted:

The reason for the question -- I have had cars that get better gas mileage as the average speed goes up (to a point)... I believe there are gearing / engine efficiency "sweet spots." Am I on drugs?

e:f,b

You are correct. There are sweet spots where a small increase in speed results in a relatively speaking generous increase in fuel economy. For example, IIRC, I get better gas mileage at 80 than I do at 65.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Petekill posted:

I went out and looked closely at them today, and this is what I discovered. The OE wheels use an angled seat, as do the aftermarket ones. I forgot to mention, they are ASA JH8 17x7.5, +40 offset. The difference is that on the ASA wheels, the part that is angled isn't as long as on the originals. I will probably just take them to a tire shop this week to get it done, but It'd be nice to know whether I'm going to have to pony up 40 or 50 bucks for new bolts.

So long as the angles are the same, you'll be fine. If they differ, you'll need new bolts, as the bolt and wheel will only be touching in one spot, not a large surface as they are designed.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

This Winter my muffler became extremely loud. I recently was messing around and figured out the problem.

I have a 2001 Nissan Maxima with 2 exhausts (I don't mean dual exhaust, its basically 2 pipes coming out the 1 muffler). One of the pipes is clogged somehow and doesn't let out any exhaust.

Is there any way I can fix this with little know how with cars? I've really only changed my own oil. Is there any type of product that could clean it out? If not, how much would this cost me?

duodenum
Sep 18, 2005

My sister's Red Isuzu Rodeo is turning pink with (what I guess is) oxidation. I remember seeing an infomercial with some magic goop that just wiped that poo poo off and made the finish look good as new. Was that full of poo poo or is there some real stuff out there like that?

<3

Delicious Sci Fi
Jul 17, 2006

You cannot lose if you do not play.
I don't know if this really needs its own thread or not but I have a 1990 Ford Bronco that I use for offroading and tooling around. The transmission has started to slip and can barely go over 20 mph forward but still has plenty of torque going backwards. The transmission is an automatic E4OD with about 100 thousand miles on it. I was thinking it could be the torque converter but it could be something way worse. Is it even worth dropping the transmission and trying to fix it or should I just go get a new one? I have a few friends who will help so could three guys who know a decent amount about cars fix this tramsission or is it too much work? None of us have ever worked on taking apart a transmission before.

Cypress
Sep 23, 2005
Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy
the car is a 93 integra rs.

Just this morning it started making what sounds like a knocking noise whenever I accelerate. I'm assuming it's the timing belt about to go (the car has 200 000km on it) and I have a new timing belt/water pump at home (I just need some cash to get it installed since I don't trust myself to do it) and I was just wondering if a knocking noise form the engine when accelerating could be anything else? I'm going to go to my mechanic to get it checked out after school.

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

Cypress posted:

the car is a 93 integra rs.

Just this morning it started making what sounds like a knocking noise whenever I accelerate. I'm assuming it's the timing belt about to go (the car has 200 000km on it) and I have a new timing belt/water pump at home (I just need some cash to get it installed since I don't trust myself to do it) and I was just wondering if a knocking noise form the engine when accelerating could be anything else? I'm going to go to my mechanic to get it checked out after school.

That's typically a sign of detonation - instead of the fuel/air mixture being ignited by the spark plug and having a nice deflagration to push against the piston, it spontaneously ignites and detonates against the piston while it's on its way up. This can be caused by running low-octane gasoline in a car designed for premium, bad sparkplug timing, or overheating. The timing might be off if your distributor is loose; try wiggling the distributor. If it moves, then put it about in the middle of the range of travel, tighten the adjustment bolts, and have the timing set ASAP. That shouldn't take more than a few minutes of work for a mechanic.

As for the timing belt, you won't have any sign that it's about to go in terms of engine noises or whatever. There's often an inspection port you can pop off to see any cracking, but that's about it. You don't get any warning before it breaks. Depending on the type of engine you have, a broken timing belt will either stop the engine abruptly or make a hideous noise as the pistons smash into the valves and the engine begins its new life as a boat anchor.

Time For Cheese
Jan 24, 2007
It's Brie o' Clock!
Is there any site that shows symptoms and common problems so that you can attempt to self-diagnose what is wrong with your car?

My car has been acting up, and I'm still trying to pinpoint what causes the problem and in what situations. It seems that if I have been at a standstill for a while, hitting the gas sometimes just shuts the engine off. It's an automatic.

Deserted
Dec 17, 2006

Deserted posted:

Two questions:

I have a set of 17x8 wheels that weigh about 17 pounds each. Is this light/normal/heavy?

Also, my car came used with some weird rear end tires on it. They are VISA branded 215/45R17s. On a Saturn. I have no idea why the previous owner put on 17s, but I don't really have a problem with the wheels. My major issue: I can't find any pressure suggestions for them, and there is nothing written on the tire. I've since replaced the drive wheels with something better, but it is really time to look at the VISAs. Anyone have any idea about that particular tire, or general guidelines for 215/45R17?

Anybody?

Octavio Barnaby Sr.
Feb 23, 2004

Where you're going, there are no jokes.
Start at 35psi.
I have two Visa tires on the back of my 240sx and they make it feel like it has 400hp.

Deserted
Dec 17, 2006

Octavio Barnaby Sr. posted:

I have two Visa tires on the back of my 240sx and they make it feel like it has 400hp.

What do you mean by this?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Deserted posted:

What do you mean by this?

Spin the tires a fuckload.

Deserted
Dec 17, 2006

BlackMK4 posted:

Spin the tires a fuckload.

That's what I figured, mine seem to have no grip either.

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

Posted this in the old (wrong) thread just before it was closed:

I have a 91' ford explorer and don't really know poo poo about cars. But today when I came to a stop in my parking lot there was smoke coming out from the hood. Not a lot, but a little bit. After letting it cool, I opened the hood, started the car and tried to reproduce the smoke so I could see where it was coming from, but nothing.

I've also noticed the brakes have been a little slow to respond, could the smoke be coming from some kind of break problem?

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;
For April Fools Day, I want to take my friends lovely white Nissan Micra, and emphassise his feminine side. I'm thinking large pink flowers, painted onto his car. However, he's a lot larger than me. So I thought it would be a good idea for it to be non permenant, non abrasive and cheap.

Any ideas? Can I do this with acrylic paint and have it wash off with warm water, or would it eat through the car like acid?

Help greatly appreciated. :D

struan87
Sep 8, 2004

What's your sign?

ibroxmassive posted:

For April Fools Day, I want to take my friends lovely white Nissan Micra, and emphassise his feminine side. I'm thinking large pink flowers, painted onto his car. However, he's a lot larger than me. So I thought it would be a good idea for it to be non permenant, non abrasive and cheap.
If your friend cares about his car, he will get mad at anything you paint onto it. Maybe the paint can be washed off, but the act of painting will almost certainly scratch the car.

If you're serious about this, use vinyl decals. They stick on with plain water and come off easily.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;
Does anyone in the U.K. know where I could get some bright pink vinyl flower decals by April 1st?

Thanks straun87 as well. I did'nt realise that paint could scratch a car. :aaa:

Total Meatlove fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Mar 23, 2007

FURIOUS T
Jan 19, 2006

by Fragmaster
How reliable are older 4runners? I'm looking at a 95 with 250,000 km's on it. It seems a little high, but I've heard of these trucks lasting a long, long time.

struan87
Sep 8, 2004

What's your sign?

ibroxmassive posted:

Thanks straun87 as well. I did'nt realise that paint could scratch a car. :aaa:
I'm not sure it could, I'm more worried about the way you apply the paint. If there's any dirt on the car, a brush or rag or your finger or whatever will just grind the dirt particles into the clearcoat or paint.

I'm just basing it on the fact that if I saw anybody put anything on my paint for any reason without asking me I'd freak out :)

Pitch
Jun 16, 2005

しらんけど

ibroxmassive posted:

Does anyone in the U.K. know where I could get some bright pink vinyl flower decals by April 1st?
Many sign shops have the equipment to make custom vinyl graphics. Check your local yellow pages, or whatever color you people make your phone books.

As for me, why did I post in the old thread? :downs:

I was wondering if anyone knows how to take tire rubber off of paint. It's fairly thick, like mud except deposited in long, ropey strands. I've tried goo gone and heated pressure washing without much success. I'm scared to try anything harsher without knowing if it will help at all.

Beef Hardcheese
Jan 21, 2003

HOW ABOUT I LASH YOUR SHIT

I've been hearing some horror stories about the "radio anti-theft systems" in Civics, where if you disconnect the battery, the radio won't work again until you put in a code that's unique to each car. I was wondering if this was true or not, and if so, how I could figure out the code for my car? I got mine used, and I don't remember seeing any documentation that mentioned a battery code like this. I know I could take it to the dealer, but I also know they would charge me out the rear end for it. :(

struan87
Sep 8, 2004

What's your sign?

Simon Draskovic posted:

I know I could take it to the dealer, but I also know they would charge me out the rear end for it. :(
No they won't. I didn't have the code for my S2000, so I just took it into the dealer, showed them the VIN, and got the code for free. That's the best way to do it.

Beef Hardcheese
Jan 21, 2003

HOW ABOUT I LASH YOUR SHIT

I'll have to actually try that, then. I've just had nothing but bad experiences with dealerships in the past, and figured they would try to bilk me $50 to look up some code on a computer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

struan87
Sep 8, 2004

What's your sign?

Simon Draskovic posted:

I'll have to actually try that, then. I've just had nothing but bad experiences with dealerships in the past, and figured they would try to bilk me $50 to look up some code on a computer.
Call them first. If you have the VIN, they might give it to you over the phone (although I doubt it). If they tell you to come in, confirm that they won't charge you.

• Locked thread