Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
I don't think any one aspect would be interesting even with the others absent, though, because I've seen 'em with elves before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gassire
Dec 30, 2004

"They're people. Deeply flawed, yes, but deeply human too. And maybe that's saying the same thing."

clockworkjoe posted:

why aren't there stats for titanium elementals, would it be so hard to add some OGL titanium elementals but no, no new elementals for me

Pretty sure there were some in 2nd edition, a whole entry of beings made up of different metals that live in the elemental plane of earth.

Talkie Toaster
Jan 23, 2006
May contain carcinogens

SuperKlaus posted:

The threads you mention are, uh, found together in pretty much every fantasy elf race. They're very far from mutually exclusive and also pretty far from interesting thanks to gross overuse. Tolkien's elves are an arrogant 'n' secretive dying race of mystics.
Except none of those features really seemed to be exploited far enough. Elves were just a stuck up, moping bunch of cryptic bastards. Authors don't seem to take things far enough to provide an actual interesting difference. If someone's not human then christ sake make them inhuman, we might not be able to empathise with them, but we won't be bored by them.

Talkie Toaster fucked around with this message at 11:42 on Mar 11, 2007

TJO
Aug 14, 2006

I had a funny feeling in my gut.
That latest strip was brilliant, if all the action is going to be of that quality this battle will be amazing.

Tag Plastic posted:

Anyway, I'm not sure if I'm gay or straight for Vaarsuvius, but I'm certainly FOR Vaarsuvius. Bad puns included.

drat straight.

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Do you think I posted to this forum because I value your companionship?

Talkie Toaster posted:

If someone's not human then christ sake make them inhuman, we might not be able to empathise with them, but we won't be bored by them.
It's not really what the games are about, though. I'm not saying it isn't a valid take on the whole multiple races thing, but it isn't and shouldn't be the only take on it. It isn't like the Martinan Manhunter or Superman are any more inhuman in their outlook than your average D&D Elf or Halfling. As a comic book fan who got into role playing games second, I've always kind of enjoyed the Legion of Superheroes-esque way that D&D has handled the question of other intelligent races. It doesn't bother me that, in most fantasy universes, people are the same all over.

Except Dwarves. :v:

Jonked
Feb 15, 2005
Elves are innately inferior to humans. It's built into D&D. A first level, just starting out human character can be anywhere from 15 to 30 years old. The Elf, on the other hand, can be anywhere from 100 to 300 years old.

A human can master the arcane arts and become a living embodiment of Boccob in the time it takes a Elf mage to master Magic Missile.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

Jonked posted:

Elves are innately inferior to humans. It's built into D&D. A first level, just starting out human character can be anywhere from 15 to 30 years old. The Elf, on the other hand, can be anywhere from 100 to 300 years old.

A human can master the arcane arts and become a living embodiment of Boccob in the time it takes a Elf mage to master Magic Missile.

The fact that default elf starting age exceeds the average human lifespan kinda negates the fact they're mentally slow.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
You want innately inferior to humans, try "they don't get a bonus feat or skill points." You ask me, every nonhuman race is inferior.

Also, I agree that this last strip contained some very exciting action considering the limitations of the art style.

Jonked
Feb 15, 2005

Fuego Fish posted:

The fact that default elf starting age exceeds the average human lifespan kinda negates the fact they're mentally slow.
Sure, but if Elves weren't quite literally mentally retarded, even a young elf would well into the Epic levels. That's what people don't seem to realize about elves. If their development was treated with any sort of commonsense, elves would be the ubergods of the D&D setting.

Destroying entire villages with a maximized Fireball, raising all of the villagers again, and then giving them a Major Geas to find the perfect Sheppard's Pie, because the one the inn keeper just gave him was burnt and tasteless.

LuchadoresDelNixon
Feb 7, 2007

Moonbase Alpha provides a realistic simulation of life on a natural satellite
With everyone arguing over science, mental faculty of specific races, and specific instances of the suspension of disbelief, you should be happy you never had my old DM.

Can you imagine a phyics major making up new "physics spells"? :science::gonk: :confused: :eek: :(

He was so sad when we decided to ignore that particular little gnome, with his peculiar new spellbook, too.

We weren't sad at all.

Anyhow, I think any stretch of the rules is okay in D&D when it balances out (and doesn't challenge) the munchkining going on. If your players aren't out to get you, don't be out to get them.

On the same note, I think any bending of the rules is okay in OOTS when it makes me go "oh drat that's creative and awesome!" It's just storytelling. And stick figures, you know?

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

clockworkjoe posted:

Anyway, I just realized the epic level monsters are SRD so my prediction is that the monster hiding in the umbrella is an atropal (or similar epic monster) and the son of Scratch (or whatever the monster behind the gates is called).

I had to google atropal to figure out what it was. Jesus, those things are scary as poo poo.

CoolCab posted:

Hating elves is a great reason to play D&D! One of my favorite characters was a Human supremest who was trying to gain support for his crusade to ''take back the forests''. The plan was to drive them into the seas like nature intended.

Thanks to my bigotry, my hatred, I united the Human Race against the rest of the plane! For the first time in history, humans no longer kill each other if they're a different color, class, or moral alignment...

Because now we've really got something to hate... something to fear... something to kill! Out there - in the trees - are creatures who are really different... really weird... A whole forest full of 'em!

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe

Jonked posted:

Sure, but if Elves weren't quite literally mentally retarded, even a young elf would well into the Epic levels. That's what people don't seem to realize about elves. If their development was treated with any sort of commonsense, elves would be the ubergods of the D&D setting.

2nd Edition capped the maximum character level of those nonhuman scum for precisely that reason. Common sense has no place in D&D anyhow. That's what makes the comics ragging on it so funny.

gothfae
Mar 28, 2004

There seems no plan because it is all plan. There seems no center because it is all center.

SuperKlaus posted:

2nd Edition capped the maximum character level of those nonhuman scum for precisely that reason. Common sense has no place in D&D anyhow. That's what makes the comics ragging on it so funny.

2nd Edition? Pshaw...

I played D&D when Elf wasn't just a race or a class... it was both.

Spaz mk. 2.0
Apr 19, 2005

Shank 'em if ya got 'em, fellas!
:frogsiren: http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0425.html :frogsiren:

New strip up a little earlier than usual. Not terribly funny, but a little bit of character development for Roy, which is good I guess.

edit: I did like the futurama reference though. :zoid:

Spaz mk. 2.0 fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Mar 13, 2007

Robot Bastard
Jul 14, 2004

by Ozma

gothfae posted:

2nd Edition? Pshaw...

I played D&D when Elf wasn't just a race or a class... it was both.

Check these games out.

http://www.rpg.net/news+reviews/reviews/rev_3117.html
http://www.rpg.net/news+reviews/reviews/rev_3161.html
http://www.rpg.net/news+reviews/reviews/rev_3717.html

Sergeant Rock
Apr 28, 2002

"... call the expert at kissing and stuff..."

Spaz mk. 2.0 posted:

edit: I did like the futurama reference though. :zoid:

Um... I missed that one... me dumb?

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

Sergeant Rock posted:

Um... I missed that one... me dumb?

"We kicked their shiny metal rear endes!" :fry:

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Rolled a 1 on the random encounter table, didn't you?

Schwarzwald posted:

I had to google atropal to figure out what it was. Jesus, those things are scary as poo poo.

Yeah, remember how the umbrella monster was only tickled by Miko when she attacked it and then punched her and her horse about a mile? Epic damage reduction and major attack bonuses. It also acts like a child, so it reasons that it is a baby demigod type monster. The only thing that makes sense for it be hanging out with Xykon is some connection with Snarl though.

One question though: If Xykon wants to open/control the gates, how does that help him rule the world? Is he planning on controlling Snarl? I thought Snarl would just tear poo poo up.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
World Domination through the blackmail of World Destruction is a time honored villainous plan.

Nobby
Sep 10, 2006

Everyone cries when they're stabbed. There's no shame in that.
I loved the 300 reference in this strip.

"But I don't want to fight in the shade!"

Kramer
Aug 31, 2001

Do you know what it's like to fall in the mud and get kicked in the head with an iron boot?

Nobby posted:

I loved the 300 reference in this strip.

"But I don't want to fight in the shade!"

Not really a 300 reference. It dates back to Herodotus, in his account of the battle of Thermopylae, it being the basis for comic book 300, and subsequently the movie based upon the comic book.

Nobby
Sep 10, 2006

Everyone cries when they're stabbed. There's no shame in that.

Kramer posted:

Not really a 300 reference. It dates back to Herodotus, in his account of the battle of Thermopylae, it being the basis for comic book 300, and subsequently the movie based upon the comic book.

But given the timeliness, I'd guess 300 had something to do with it.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe

Nobby posted:

But given the timeliness, I'd guess 300 had something to do with it.

Just a coincidence you're seeing. Remember when they met the bandits in the forest Elan says "where'd the sun go?" as arrows rain down on him. I played a card game once with a card called "Blackened Sky" representing tons of arrows being fired. It's all just a way of emphasizing that there's lots of incoming fire.

Jon
Nov 30, 2004

SuperKlaus posted:

Just a coincidence you're seeing. Remember when they met the bandits in the forest Elan says "where'd the sun go?" as arrows rain down on him. I played a card game once with a card called "Blackened Sky" representing tons of arrows being fired. It's all just a way of emphasizing that there's lots of incoming fire.

But the exact phrasing of the complaint indicates similarity as well as a response to an unsaid statement.

MathFreak
Feb 24, 2002
e^(i*Pi)=-1

Schwarzwald posted:

Thanks to my bigotry, my hatred, I united the Human Race against the rest of the plane! For the first time in history, humans no longer kill each other if they're a different color, class, or moral alignment...

Because now we've really got something to hate... something to fear... something to kill! Out there - in the trees - are creatures who are really different... really weird... A whole forest full of 'em!

That's why I love the WH40k universe. It's already like that.

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF

clockworkjoe posted:

Yeah, remember how the umbrella monster was only tickled by Miko when she attacked it and then punched her and her horse about a mile? Epic damage reduction and major attack bonuses. It also acts like a child, so it reasons that it is a baby demigod type monster. The only thing that makes sense for it be hanging out with Xykon is some connection with Snarl though.

One question though: If Xykon wants to open/control the gates, how does that help him rule the world? Is he planning on controlling Snarl? I thought Snarl would just tear poo poo up.

It can't be an Atropal, for two reasons. One, the negative energy aura would have jacked up Xykon to huge power. two, the negative energy aura would have killed the whole order of the stick in their first encounter being in the same room as it.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

SuperKlaus posted:

No, I'm pretty sure there's more than a coincidence to it. At least it's a hell of a lot more likely to be a reference than "shiny metal rear end" to Futurama.

Cowcaster fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Mar 14, 2007

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

MathFreak posted:

That's why I love the WH40k universe. It's already like that.

2000 AD universe, actually. :eng101:

RiotGearEpsilon posted:

It can't be an Atropal, for two reasons. One, the negative energy aura would have jacked up Xykon to huge power. two, the negative energy aura would have killed the whole order of the stick in their first encounter being in the same room as it.

Major Artifact: positive energy umbrella.

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

RiotGearEpsilon posted:

Auras can be lowered at will and the effect could be handwaved as long as the monster doesn't make an appearance. It has to be epic though and it probably has a connection to Snarl. It might be a normal monster with the paragon or pseudonatural template on it. We don't have enough info to point at a specific monster yet.

ZorbaTHut
May 5, 2005

wake me when the world is saved

clockworkjoe posted:

Auras can be lowered at will and the effect could be handwaved as long as the monster doesn't make an appearance. It has to be epic though and it probably has a connection to Snarl. It might be a normal monster with the paragon or pseudonatural template on it. We don't have enough info to point at a specific monster yet.

I'm going to be very amused if it's some sort of epic goblin.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe

Cowcaster posted:

No, I'm pretty sure there's more than a coincidence to it. At least it's a hell of a lot more likely to be a reference than "shiny metal rear end" to Futurama.

Neither statement is unique enough that there's any good reason to believe it is a reference. Not any more than Roy saying "THIS ENDS NOW!", should he ever fall so low (or has he said that before?), would be a Superman reference.

SuperKlaus fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Mar 15, 2007

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

I don't mind elves, I've seen enough settings where they're given interesting enough flavor that I don't think they're beyond redeeming. That said, Elves Cause Cancer

Efreet saiid
Jan 29, 2006

by Lowtax
The shade thing was really obviously a spartan refrence.

In other news, goblins has gone to single page updates for a short while, wich I think is good, and erfworld continues to be a complete waste of time. I could almost stand it if it wasn't for the stupid cutsey poo poo, wich is only going to get more grating over time. That wierd creepy interlude in the dungon wasn't too good, either.

clockworkjoe posted:

We don't have enough info to point at a specific monster yet.
Surely it's got to be some kind of joke or pun or play on the rules or something? Like every possible template at once or something.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

Goblins is pretty decent, but the artist really needs to decide if he's doing a webcomic or a book, the pace of it is just terrible at times. The characters are interesting enough, the idea is compelling but I just feel like he's being pulled in two different directions with the format and really needs to just pick one and go with it.

Gally
May 31, 2001

Come on!
I find Goblins a fun enough read but god its a bit beating over the head with SHADES OF GREY KILLING MONSTERS WITH NO PURPOSE EVIL BAD BAD PCS NO THINK ABOUT ACTIONS. I get it alright!?!

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?
:frogsiren: New Strip Is Up :frogsiren:

If you ask me, not enough skeletons have goatees.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.
Anyone know what those rainbow amulets are? They appear to have split Xykon into (at least) 3 bodies, each of which has a different emotional state.
Green for willpower, of course.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

HitTheTargets posted:

Anyone know what those rainbow amulets are? They appear to have split Xykon into (at least) 3 bodies, each of which has a different emotional state.
Green for willpower, of course.

Either that or they're not, and they have different coloured amulets to differentiate themselves to the reader because otherwise they all look the same and it would get a little confusing perhaps.

Efreet saiid
Jan 29, 2006

by Lowtax
I think they're just two decoys and the liche, from the looks of it it's a skeleton, a skeletal warrior, and the lich himself hanging back with redcloak. I guess it's possible the wussy guy is the real deal, but the guy on horseback is acting a lot like a skeletal warrior, apart from all the talk-talk of course.

A skeletal warrior is basically a mid-CR super-skeleton who fills a close combat role, and they're sometimes seen on 'horse'back, for isntance there's a classic illustration of the death knight Lord Soth from Dragonlance leading his skeletal knights on a charge.

Gally posted:

I find Goblins a fun enough read but god its a bit beating over the head with SHADES OF GREY KILLING MONSTERS WITH NO PURPOSE EVIL BAD BAD PCS NO THINK ABOUT ACTIONS. I get it alright!?!
I'm hoping the viper clan can add some substance to that(I really love their smirky shaman guy), also it's becoming more and more clear that goblin-slayer is running some kind of con on brassmoon in order to gain power.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

I bet they're all illusions/decoys and the real xykon is invisible or illusioned to appear as a normal hobgoblin or something.