Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Noonsaliwah
Sep 5, 2006
Shizne
I think the real Xykon is probably waaay up in the air on an undead dragon or something... the undead dragon is as suspiciously missing as he is, at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

Noonsaliwah posted:

I think the real Xykon is probably waaay up in the air on an undead dragon or something... the undead dragon is as suspiciously missing as he is, at least.
Well observed and I think that none of the three Xykons seen recently are decoys. However the personalities of the three give me something to think about...

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

Noonsaliwah posted:

That would be pretty sweet, although at the moment it really looks like the Xykon who's hanging back with Redcloak is the real deal.

I am going to reiterate once again that I totally called the decoy thing :c00lbert:

Reacean
Nov 29, 2004

Those amulets have to be important, because up until this strip Xykon didn't wear any amulets.

turnways
Jun 22, 2004

Battlestar Ferrinus posted:

That would be pretty sweet, although at the moment it really looks like the Xykon who's hanging back with Redcloak is the real deal.

But the one hanging back with Redcloak didn't know who Greenhilt and the Order of the Stick were.

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Lower those eyebrows, young man. And the other one.
That's actually in character.

371 panel 6

He's got a lot of enemies he can't be bothered to remember who's who.

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

"phphphphphphpht"? this is what you're going with?

you sure?

Reacean posted:

Those amulets have to be important, because up until this strip Xykon didn't wear any amulets.
I'm guessing they're like Hats of Disguise, only in amulet form. Apparently you only get a Will save to see through the illusion if you interact with it, so it's possible we'll only really know once the poo poo hits the fan.

TheFuzzyLumpkin
Sep 15, 2003

But you are a person, and I can't say I'm awfully fond of that.

lavhoes posted:

But the one hanging back with Redcloak didn't know who Greenhilt and the Order of the Stick were.

It's a long-term gag that he has no idea who the OotS are. Remember when he first fought Roy and Roy had to get embarassingly specific about who he was seeking revenge for?

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0110.html

Beaver Patrol
Sep 25, 2005

Reacean posted:

There was one strip where he did and in this arc too! It was orange. Hint maybe?

Vanadium
Jan 8, 2005

That is the strip where "Hey, it is a decoy" was first called.

turnways
Jun 22, 2004

TheFuzzyLumpkin posted:

It's a long-term gag that he has no idea who the OotS are. Remember when he first fought Roy and Roy had to get embarassingly specific about who he was seeking revenge for?

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0110.html

Oh yeah, that's right. Can't believe I forgot that.

Oh well then yeah, that's probably him. Damnit, I thought there'd be more of a twist to it.

Vanadium
Jan 8, 2005

I don't get the new strip :smith:

Sock
Oct 8, 2001
Do me. Do me.

Vanadium posted:

I don't get the new strip :smith:

What's not to get? V's a badass.

Vanadium
Jan 8, 2005

Sock posted:

What's not to get? V's a badass.

But all that buildup just to end with "hay I have another buff spell :owned:"?

Doug Lombardi
Jan 18, 2005

Vanadium posted:

But all that buildup just to end with "hay I have another buff spell :owned:"?

That's basically what wizards are good at, though. Unless you can cast Fireball, but who memorizes THAT spell?

Vanadium
Jan 8, 2005

Endrite posted:

That's basically what wizards are good at, though. Unless you can cast Fireball, but who memorizes THAT spell?

I was expecting some unexpected side-effect of the combination of spells that V chose, or perhaps an arcane reason for the exact number of soldiers he chose to buff. I guess I am just disappointed that it was only about just how awesome V is.

Spaz mk. 2.0
Apr 19, 2005

Shank 'em if ya got 'em, fellas!
The arcane reason V chose 13 is because the mass line of buffs affect one person per caster level. I guess this confirms that V is level 13. Also, any more than that probably wouldn't fit.

gothfae
Mar 28, 2004

There seems no plan because it is all plan. There seems no center because it is all center.

Spaz mk. 2.0 posted:

The arcane reason V chose 13 is because the mass line of buffs affect one person per caster level. I guess this confirms that V is level 13. Also, any more than that probably wouldn't fit.

You may have noticed that my explanations tend to consume more time than the plans themselves.

:love: Vaarusvius. :awesome:

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
Why do I feel that this showcasing of how cool V. is is only gonna lead to tragedy?

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Rolled a 1 on the random encounter table, didn't you?

JohnnyCanuck posted:

Why do I feel that this showcasing of how cool V. is is only gonna lead to tragedy?

A one sided duel vs. Xykon perhaps?

Spaz mk. 2.0
Apr 19, 2005

Shank 'em if ya got 'em, fellas!
Elan of all stick people got to showcase how badass he can be, I don't see why someone like V can't either. Not to mention how game breaking wizards are supposed to be at the higher levels, especially when they have a good idea of what they'll be facing before they prepare their spells at the beginning of the day.

Sock
Oct 8, 2001
Do me. Do me.

JohnnyCanuck posted:

It's been foreshadowed for a long time.

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

Les soldats se trouvent dans la vérité.

Sock posted:

I suspect that this might be referring to the Snarl itself rather than to Xykon. Xykon after all doesn't possess ultimate power, so I fail to see how he'd be able to impart it onto V. The Snarl on the other hand must have such power for Xykon to seek it out.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.
I wonder if Bluecloak will ever get a callback. That strip may as well be called "Callback City - Population: Oh You'll See."

Robot Bastard
Jul 14, 2004

by Ozma

Sock posted:

Heh. That's a very interesting strip--because it tells us that Xykon is not going to be permanently destroyed in this story arc! (And hopefully the characters will remember the Oracle's answer when they try to decide where to go next.)

Gally
May 31, 2001

Come on!
Well Erfworld has gotten into territory I honestly don't care about at all. Shame, the strip had a good start but has failed on so many levels at this point.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

gothfae posted:

You may have noticed that my explanations tend to consume more time than the plans themselves.

:love: Vaarusvius. :awesome:

"Truly, it is a poor omen when elves are doing stonemasonry."

I wonder if he will be right in the end.

Robot Bastard
Jul 14, 2004

by Ozma

Gally posted:

Well Erfworld has gotten into territory I honestly don't care about at all. Shame, the strip had a good start but has failed on so many levels at this point.
Yeah; at this point, I'm reading it because A: it's free and B: it's on the same site as "Order".

Jeet
Jul 12, 2001

Robot Bastard posted:

Yeah; at this point, I'm reading it because A: it's free and B: it's on the same site as "Order".

its so slowly paced its ridiculous.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Gally posted:

Seriously, they're superdeformed little computer game people who speak in things like "Erf" and "Dwagons", why are we supposed to give a poo poo about their politics?

EDIT: Oh, and can't forget "Croakamancer" :pseudo:

Maldraedior
Jun 16, 2002

YOU ARE AN ASININE MORT

Zereth posted:

Seriously, they're superdeformed little computer game people who speak in things like "Erf" and "Dwagons", why are we supposed to give a poo poo about their politics?

I actually liked the Dirtamancer guy

Occultatio
Aug 4, 2005

a massive toolclown who cannot stop causing problems

Zereth posted:

Um... I'm almost certain that that's the whole *point*. You'll note that Parson has been treating the world with precisely the same attitude, and it's starting to bite him in the rear end. I mean, they even specifically touched on the issue of the infantilized names for things.

Erfworld is deliberately trying to subvert as many of the cliches and expectations of the "ordinary kid gets SUCKED INTO A GAME!" story as it can. It's even a little heavy-handed about it, but that may just be because it's still getting warmed up. The point of the comic is, you wouldn't expect to care, or even expect that the story would *want* you to care, about the politics and morality of the factions in the game world, but they're actually turning out to be both important and ambiguous.

Personally, I'm enjoying it. It would be nice if it updated more frequently, but the story isn't moving all that slowly on a strip-by-strip level. And I think it is funny, so there. :colbert:

Vorxnyx
Sep 4, 2002

they told me how to make this implant
they said it would make a better me of me
I mostly enjoy Erfworld too. It seems to me like most of the people in this thread who dislike it are mainly just angry about things it's not trying to be. If you don't like the idea of a Croakamancer, then you probably won't enjoy Erfworld.

Robot Bastard
Jul 14, 2004

by Ozma
The problem that I have with Erfworld is that it's all over the place. Is this supposed to be a cute superdeformed RPG world? Is this supposed to be a grim exploration of war in a fantasy setting? Is this supposed to be a self-insertion fanfic? Is this supposed to be a parody of computer-RPG cliches? Pick one.

Oh, and O RLY? Oh :rolleyes:.

Occultatio
Aug 4, 2005

a massive toolclown who cannot stop causing problems

Robot Bastard posted:

Is this supposed to be a cute superdeformed RPG world? Is this supposed to be a grim exploration of war in a fantasy setting? Is this supposed to be a self-insertion fanfic? Is this supposed to be a parody of computer-RPG cliches?

Yes.

Robot Bastard posted:

Pick one.

Why?

RickoniX
Dec 4, 2005

A human or elf?

NO NOT A BADGER YOU GOON

Robot Bastard posted:

The problem that I have with Erfworld is that it's all over the place. Is this supposed to be a cute superdeformed RPG world? Is this supposed to be a grim exploration of war in a fantasy setting? Is this supposed to be a self-insertion fanfic? Is this supposed to be a parody of computer-RPG cliches? Pick one.

Oh, and O RLY? Oh :rolleyes:.

It's not self insertion, the guy who writes Hamstard is someone completely different from Rob Balder (unless Hamstard is just some really weird meta joke comic made to supplement Erfworld).

Robot Bastard
Jul 14, 2004

by Ozma

Occultatio posted:

Why?
Because the "sudden, ironic shift from parody to pathos" is a cheap ploy for sentiment. You can't just say "THIS ARE SERIOUS COMIC NOW" and expect that we're all going to jump on board with you.

VoidTek
Jul 30, 2002

HAPPYELF WAS RIGHT
I don't really mind Erfworld much, aside from it's glacially slow pace. I don't make a regular habit of reading it like I do OotS, but every now and then i'll remember to check it and catch up.

I don't see why it has to be one thing or the other, rather than all of the above, either. And I especially really really doubt it's meant as a self-insertion fanfic because jesus christ just look at the guy. He's so intentionally repugnant. I know self deprecation is all the rage among most nerds, but I doubt anybody would actually make their own representation that severely unlikeable.

Efreet saiid
Jan 29, 2006

by Lowtax

Zereth posted:

Yeah the only think i'd read for is just to see more of the plot/exposition revealed, but even if I was was willing to wait through al the other poo poo for plot, if would still be a plot about dwagons and ending the turn and the king of the loving bippity boos or something.

Vorxnyx posted:

I mostly enjoy Erfworld too. It seems to me like most of the people in this thread who dislike it are mainly just angry about things it's not trying to be.
Like entertaining? So it's not trying to be one of those stories that don't have a really iritating naming convention, and it's not trying to have likeable or interesting characters?

I don't tghink the creators are trying for some kind of nega-cliche or anything of the sort. I just think they took a one-joke idea (nerd in the game), attached it to an obnoxiously wierd setting, and ran with it.

Efreet saiid fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Mar 19, 2007

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vorxnyx
Sep 4, 2002

they told me how to make this implant
they said it would make a better me of me

Robot Bastard posted:

Because the "sudden, ironic shift from parody to pathos" is a cheap ploy for sentiment. You can't just say "THIS ARE SERIOUS COMIC NOW" and expect that we're all going to jump on board with you.

One might even say that the "sudden, ironic shift from parody to pathos" was a fantasy/webcomic cliche. Either it's a self-aware parody, or it's an unintentional parody, and either way I think it's funny.

Leikr Elferston posted:

Yeah the only think i'd read for is just to see more of the plot/exposition revealed, but even if I was was willing to wait through al the other poo poo for plot, if would still be a plot about dwagons and ending the turn and the king of the loving bippity boos or something.

I don't tghink the creators are trying for some kind of nega-cliche or anything of the sort. I just think they took a one-joke idea (nerd in the game), attached it to an obnoxiously wierd setting, and ran with it.

Oh happyelf :shobon: