Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

Les soldats se trouvent dans la vérité.

Bobulus posted:

(Completely ignoring, of course, how the heck a creature unable to touch air would be able to fly)

There's no gravity in the Ethereal plane, so this isn't a problem.

Gay Polymers posted:

Won't the invisibility break as soon as he attacks something?

It will; unless of course he has cast greater invisibility instead. (Though he probably hasn't since its duration is extremely short.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Occultatio
Aug 4, 2005

a massive toolclown who cannot stop causing problems
Heh, I just noticed a cute little touch: in the panel where they're all suddenly realizing the implication of the wind, Hinjo's cape is blowing WAY out of the panel, and all three of them are staring at it with freaked-out expressions.

gothfae
Mar 28, 2004

There seems no plan because it is all plan. There seems no center because it is all center.

Gay Polymers posted:

What happens if the zombie dragon rots enough that it's wings just fall off in mid-air? Would that suck, or is that not possible?

Maybe this is why zombies aren't real...

A skeletal dragon would not fly, there would be no meat. This would not stop the enterprising bad guy from making and attacking leather wings to the bones, preferrably of dragon leather, even stretching it over the entire skeletal structure. Not that xykon would care about the latter, he has a bony butt and doesn't need comfort.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

gothfae posted:

A skeletal dragon would not fly, there would be no meat.
Human skeletons shouldn't be able to stand, either. It's magic.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Occultatio posted:

Heh, I just noticed a cute little touch: in the panel where they're all suddenly realizing the implication of the wind, Hinjo's cape is blowing WAY out of the panel, and all three of them are staring at it with freaked-out expressions.
If you take a close look at sky in the panel where Haley says "Someplace...else. Someplace where we can't see him", you can see a very small, faint "whoosh" sound effect.

How does something made out of slightly-more-detailed stick figures manage to have such excellent art?

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

FMguru posted:

How does something made out of slightly-more-detailed stick figures manage to have such excellent art?

Because the writer/artist actually cares about his comic instead of just saying “good enough for now”.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
Not to mention he's actually a really, really good artist who just happens to be using stick figures.

gothfae
Mar 28, 2004

There seems no plan because it is all plan. There seems no center because it is all center.

Halloween Jack posted:

Human skeletons shouldn't be able to stand, either. It's magic.

Except the concept of flying skeletal dragons with leather flaps has been addressed in a dragon article about uses for dragon parts. Rght before the section on boats made out of dragon parts.

Jon
Nov 30, 2004

gothfae posted:

Except the concept of flying skeletal dragons with leather flaps has been addressed in a dragon article about uses for dragon parts. Rght before the section on boats made out of dragon parts.

That's just suggested material for a campaign setting, not necessarily canonical rules.

gothfae
Mar 28, 2004

High Altitude Hair Stylist posted:

That's just suggested material for a campaign setting, not necessarily canonical rules.

True, but it's all about suspension of disbelief in an internally consistent universe.

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

Literature is not exhaustible, for the sufficient and simple reason that no single book is. A book is not an isolated being: it is a relationship, an axis of innumerable relationships.

gothfae posted:

an internally consistent universe.

I thought we were talking about D&D here.

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Rolled a 1 on the random encounter table, didn't you?

Heresiarch posted:

I thought we were talking about D&D here.

Internally consistent to the 3.5 D&D rules, where good and evil are as physically real as gravity and momentum.

I bet the Einstein of D&D has a E=mc^2 equation only it means: Evil = magic * chaos squared.

Efreet saiid
Jan 29, 2006

by Lowtax

clockworkjoe posted:

Internally consistent to the 3.5 D&D rules, where good and evil are as physically real as gravity and momentum.
Oh good, it's the "bash alignment" section of the thread.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

Leikr Elferston posted:

Oh good, it's the "bash alignment" section of the thread.

No it isn't.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.
It's more like the "mention alignment in passing" point of the thread.

So can Haley stop Xykon at this point in time or is everyone going to run like hell to the throne room? Maybe Roy can trigger his sword and down the dragon, but that'd be a little too quick.

Edit: I say Haley because she's the only one there with ranged capabilities. Maybe the blind seer has some magic though, who know?

HitTheTargets fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Mar 22, 2007

The Werle
Aug 8, 2005

Fireworks for Christmas is absolutely American
:frogsiren: New Strip is up! :frogsiren:

HitTheTargets posted:

Maybe the blind seer has some magic though, who know?

Welp, I think you can forget that theory

TheGreenAvenger
Jun 23, 2005

I killed Chin the Conqueror.
Ah gently caress. Well now that we know that THAT clone's not actually Xykon, which one IS it? Watch there be five of them. HOSHIT MAYBE THEY ARE ALL XYKON.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

TheGreenAvenger posted:

Ah gently caress. Well now that we know that THAT clone's not actually Xykon

We do? What tells us that?

Maldraedior
Jun 16, 2002

YOU ARE AN ASININE MORT
he ain't wearing a medallion. pretty sure that makes him the real one. plus he was riding that dragon back in the splash where they first set out for Azure City

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

gothfae posted:

drat, I wish that instead of going on a date last night I'd read a magazine article about dragon skeleton boats.

Tag Plastic
Jun 10, 2006

Not organic.
You know, I'm a bit worried about Roy at the moment. More worried than I have been about any of the other PCs before. Don't die Roy :(

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

Les soldats se trouvent dans la vérité.

Tag Plastic posted:

You know, I'm a bit worried about Roy at the moment. More worried than I have been about any of the other PCs before. Don't die Roy :(

Don't worry; even if the worst does happen, he can always be raised from the dead. :)

Sock
Oct 8, 2001
Do me. Do me.

Factor_VIII posted:

Don't worry; even if the worst does happen, he can always be raised from the dead. :)

Not if Xykon kills him first :zombie:

Gay Polymers
Jun 14, 2005

I hear voices in my head
They talk to me
They understand
Where are my keys?
I'm a big fan of the running gag of Xykon having no idea who Roy is, even though Roy set out to kill Xykon in order to avenge the death of his father in the first place. Even after foiling Xykon's master plan to take over the world, the lich still has no idea who he is. :lol:

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe

Halloween Jack posted:

drat, I wish that instead of going on a date last night I'd read a magazine article about dragon skeleton boats.

gtfo JOCK

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
:siren: NEW STRIP IS UP :siren:

Oh, Roy :shobon:

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Fuego Fish posted:

:siren: NEW STRIP IS UP :siren:

Oh, Roy :shobon:

I dunno about you, but I am even more convinced that Xykon is a genius of the highest order.

Spaceship Zero
Jul 24, 2006

The soul of vengeance is a robot dinosaur

the_steve posted:

I dunno about you, but I am even more convinced that Xykon is a genius of the highest order.

You think he's just faking not knowing Roy just to keep him pissed off and reckless?

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade
Probably. See that confident smile on Roy's face in the second-to-last panel? Compare to his face in the last panel. Pure evil genius on Xykon's part.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

frankenfreak posted:

Probably. See that confident smile on Roy's face in the second-to-last panel? Compare to his face in the last panel. Pure evil genius on Xykon's part.

He constantly has to be reminded of who the order of the stick is, even when not in their presence. I highly doubt it's an act.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Spaceship Zero posted:

You think he's just faking not knowing Roy just to keep him pissed off and reckless?

I don't think he's faking, but he still knows that it pisses Roy off to no end.

Kramer
Aug 31, 2001

Do you know what it's like to fall in the mud and get kicked in the head with an iron boot?

Lurdiak posted:

He constantly has to be reminded of who the order of the stick is, even when not in their presence. I highly doubt it's an act.

Clearly, Xykon is a method actor. He doesn't want to break character.

NutShellBill
Dec 4, 2004
I AM SPUTNIK'S PARACHUTE ACCOUNT
Wow, I actually think this is where Roy dies. I could be wrong, but the guy who writes it seems to big on setting things up, and he's set up Roy's death for quite a while, in a subtle manner.

Hints:

1) The Oracle says that Belkar will possibly be "involved" for Roy's death. Giving him the ring qualifies, I think.

2) Roy's martyr complex. Did Roy have to jump Xykon right then and there? Not really, but as always, he feels its up to him as the "competant" member of the party.

3) Tactical error. Roy just jumped a high level lich riding a dragon, armed with a sword, a ring of jumping, and some guts. If I were his DM, there's a very good chance he'd be dead shortly.

4) No V + plus freefalling = splat. More specifically, no feather fall. I think there are a few reasons that V is away from the batlle, and the biggest one is the resulting plot hole from watching Roy plummet to his death. There's also the idea that Xykon will get pissed off enough at Roy to do something that you can't get raised from. With V not there to see what happened, Roy could be shipped off to another dimension, or disintegrated, and OoTS might not know how to get him back.

5) Impact: Roy is the member of the party that would likely have an effect on everyone: Durkon an Haley seems to be friendly enough to miss him, V would feel guilty, Belkar would realize that the Oracle is right, and Elan would be crushed. The party would all have a real reason to go after Xykon, Elan would take up the mantle of leadership, and dedicate his fight to Roy.

6) Audience Impact: People would notice, and probably just upset enough to keep reading.

7) New nameless guy: He doesn't have a name yet, but one of the prisoners is behaving an awful lot like he belongs with the party. AND, he clearly likes Haley, so that's a natural foil for Elan, and a reason to join up.

Things do not look good for Roy. I kinda hope I'm wrong, he's my favourite character.

RickoniX
Dec 4, 2005

A human or elf?

NO NOT A BADGER YOU GOON

NutShellBill posted:

4) No V + plus freefalling = splat. More specifically, no feather fall. I think there are a few reasons that V is away from the batlle, and the biggest one is the resulting plot hole from watching Roy plummet to his death. There's also the idea that Xykon will get pissed off enough at Roy to do something that you can't get raised from. With V not there to see what happened, Roy could be shipped off to another dimension, or disintegrated, and OoTS might not know how to get him back.

The most damage you can ever take by falling in D&D is something like 120, and that is with 20 6s on d6 dice (minimum 20, average 60), and if Roy makes a DC 15 jump check (with a +20 Ring of Jumping) he negates the first d6 and turns a second d6 into nonlethal. (I know that is a lot of rules for an offhand comment, but the way Burlew makes fun of the rules I do not think he would kill someone with falling)

NutShellBill
Dec 4, 2004
I AM SPUTNIK'S PARACHUTE ACCOUNT
Well, it'll be a lot more dramatic I think. Probably a 3 or 4 strip fight, but I could see Roy even being turned undead here just for that extra kick in the unk to the PCs (and the readers).

Still, it's been set up for a couple hundred strips, IMHO.

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

"phphphphphphpht"? this is what you're going with?

you sure?

Lurdiak posted:

To be fair, he's probably forgotten about more murders than Belkar has committed. And that's a lot of murder.

King Doom
Dec 1, 2004
I am on the Internet.
No chance at all of it happening like this but I want a shock plot twist that see's Redcloak tricking Xykon into flying to his destruction and then revealing that it was the hobgoblin who was the big evil all along. He's so much more entertaining than an idiot lich.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe

King Doom posted:

No chance at all of it happening like this but I want a shock plot twist that see's Redcloak tricking Xykon into flying to his destruction and then revealing that it was the hobgoblin who was the big evil all along. He's so much more entertaining than an idiot lich.

This is incorrect, and "Sshh! This dork is about to set off, like, a hundred traps" is why it is incorrect.

I don't think Roy's gonna die. I certainly hope he doesn't, anyway, because this new "competent" Elan bugs me somehow. It's the outfit. I have no desire to see him leading the Order.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

SuperKlaus posted:

This is incorrect, and "Sshh! This dork is about to set off, like, a hundred traps" is why it is incorrect.

I don't think Roy's gonna die. I certainly hope he doesn't, anyway, because this new "competent" Elan bugs me somehow. It's the outfit. I have no desire to see him leading the Order.

Competent? Did you see the strip where his inspirational speech depressed and pissed off all the troops right before the big battle? Just because he now has a prestige class that makes him actually decently combat-useful does not competence make :colbert:

And plus, his new outfit is homage to Locke from FFVI, so you better reco'nize

Wolfsheim fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Mar 25, 2007

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
Elan's not become competent, but he has become less than just a bipedal joke. Which is good, adds character depth.