Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
furushotakeru
Jul 20, 2004

Your Honor, why am I pink?!

Douche4Sale posted:

The dlp is bigger in size (both viewing and space it takes up) so that might be a factor. Also, the dlp has one more hdmi hookup than the lcd. On the downside, you'll be looking at replacing the bulb in the dlp every 3 years or so at around $150.

I would think it a fairly safe bet that the bulbs won't be $150 in three years. At least that is my fervent hope since I am looking into buying a DLP TV.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BillyGilmore
Feb 23, 2004
If any of these fuckers go crazy, I get to take them down.

Douche4Sale posted:

I have the 50hm66 (basically just the 50-inch version of that Toshiba) and love it. I play a lot of 360 on it and have been really pleased. I was slightly worried about game lag (as mentioned in the op for dlps), but haven't noted any. However, there is a setting in the menu for games in case it is a problem for you.

The dlp is bigger in size (both viewing and space it takes up) so that might be a factor. Also, the dlp has one more hdmi hookup than the lcd. On the downside, you'll be looking at replacing the bulb in the dlp every 3 years or so at around $150.

Personally, I vastly prefer picture quality on dlps to lcds, so I'm biased and the larger space it takes up and the bulb replacement aren't deal-breakers for me.

I guess I can answer any more specific questions about the Toshiba if you want.

The only other thing I was concerned with is the viewing angle of the Toshiba. I read some reviews that they were better than the average DLP, but I was just wondering how your experience has been with your set. You would recommend your set to a potential buyer?

ail
Jul 8, 2003

by The Finn

furushotakeru posted:

I would think it a fairly safe bet that the bulbs won't be $150 in three years. At least that is my fervent hope since I am looking into buying a DLP TV.

What happens when they cut down manufacturing of current-tech DLP bulbs because the format gets abandoned in a couple of years?

*ring ring*
hello, thank you for calling samsung support, how can i be of service?
YOUR GOD drat BULBS COST MORE THAN MY TV IS WORTH
buy a new tv, sir. have a nice day!
*click*

(not saying this will happen, but i am saying it is loving tops to have a tv that has a brightness half-life of 60,000 hours.)

ail fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Mar 27, 2007

drivel
Feb 24, 2005
Drivel is what comes forth from your mouth why don't you SHUT THE FUCK UP,Mods?

Nap Ghost
Anyone in Australia done any viewing comparisons with the 1080p tvs out at the moment? I'm considering the Sony Bravia LCD 1080p 46 inch but there is so little HD content compared to SD I am worried I'll be taking a step backwards. Are the scalers in the 1080p Bravias any good for SD content?

I'll probably be watching mostly free to air, downloaded movies/tv and foxtel. Foxtel is so ugly a lot of the time I would expect it to be terrible scaled up to the resolution of the TV.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

I just ordered the Olevia 537H 37" LCD set for $745 shipped. Fingers crossed it gets here undamaged. I'll post my impressions once it gets here, hopefully by Friday (but I doubt it). I'm migrating from a Samsung CRT HD set so I'm concerned the black levels will irritate me.

I'm going to have to upgrade to unlimited Usenet access now... just to support all the HD content I'll be downloading to watch from my HTPC.

ShaneB fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Mar 27, 2007

Taco Avenger
Aug 6, 2004

You're confused... and scared. But it's okay.
My parents are looking to buy a new TV within the next week. They want something around 50" or higher, but won't spend over $4000. My mother hates CRTs, and so they want plasma or lcd. What do you guys suggest? I've been reading the thread but I almost feel like I have too much information now. What brands/models/etc. would you guys pick if you had 4000 to spend and wanted a pretty large flat panel?

Donkey Kunt
Mar 19, 2006

I'm a cat.

Taco Avenger posted:

My parents are looking to buy a new TV within the next week. They want something around 50" or higher, but won't spend over $4000. My mother hates CRTs, and so they want plasma or lcd. What do you guys suggest? I've been reading the thread but I almost feel like I have too much information now. What brands/models/etc. would you guys pick if you had 4000 to spend and wanted a pretty large flat panel?

Do they hate all rear-projectors and CRTs? Or are they dead set on a flat panel? If their only doing flat panels with $4000, I would buy a Pioneer plasma.

Edit: If they don't mind rear-projection units, I would suggest the Sony SXRD LCoS television.

Edit2:
Pioneer plasma that goes into that price range:
http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pna/v3/pg/product/details/0,,2076_310069733_311066721,00.html

Sony SXRD:
http://www.sonystyle.com/is-bin/INT...ction_42to51TVs

Donkey Kunt fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Mar 27, 2007

Taco Avenger
Aug 6, 2004

Moo Moo Bells posted:

Do they hate all rear-projectors and CRTs? Or are they dead set on a flat panel? If their only doing flat panels with $4000, I would buy a Pioneer plasma.

Edit: If they don't mind rear-projection units, I would suggest the Sony SXRD LYCoS television.

My mom seems pretty dead set against rear-projection. She thinks they're ugly as hell. I want her to be happy with what she gets, because I know she's going to be living with what she buys. But I also think that the picture and longevity of the TV is more important than looks.

The Pioneer plasma kind of weirds me out with its 768p resolution. I'm also worried about burn in.

King Hotpants
Apr 11, 2005

Clint.
Fucking.
Eastwood.

Moo Moo Bells posted:

LYCoS

LCoS. Liquid Crystal on Silicon. Not that stupid website.

Donkey Kunt
Mar 19, 2006

I'm a cat.

Taco Avenger posted:

My mom seems pretty dead set against rear-projection. She thinks they're ugly as hell. I want her to be happy with what she gets, because I know she's going to be living with what she buys. But I also think that the picture and longevity of the TV is more important than looks.

The Pioneer plasma kind of weirds me out with its 768p resolution. I'm also worried about burn in.

Pretty much all flat panels that are 720p will actually be 768. The Pioneer I linked to is also the square pixels that you would find in any other set.

King Hotpants posted:

LCoS. Liquid Crystal on Silicon. Not that stupid website.

I was wondering why it looked so wrong.

Taco Avenger
Aug 6, 2004

Would you buy that Pioneer? I saw a couple today and I was pretty impressed by the picture.

Donkey Kunt
Mar 19, 2006

I'm a cat.

Taco Avenger posted:

Would you buy that Pioneer? I saw a couple today and I was pretty impressed by the picture.

If your mother is willing to pay up to $4,000, that is really the best your going to get in that price range with a flat panel. If I had that money and the want for 50" screen and a flat panel, I would go for that.

Taco Avenger
Aug 6, 2004

Moo Moo Bells posted:

If your mother is willing to pay up to $4,000, that is really the best your going to get in that price range with a flat panel. If I had that money and the want for 50" screen and a flat panel, I would go for that.

Alright, let me put it this way then. If you had $4,000 to spend on a TV, what would you spend it on?

Bozart
Oct 28, 2006

Give me the finger.
I am in the same situation as your mother. Right now I am looking at either the Pioneer that the good goon mentioned above, or the Sony XBR2. Then there is that new Samsung with the crazy contrast, but I decided against it because of the supposed glare.

Basically, 4k will get you the top of the line 50 inch or so. You can choose either plasma (720p or whatever) or lcd (1080p)

Donkey Kunt
Mar 19, 2006

I'm a cat.

Taco Avenger posted:

Alright, let me put it this way then. If you had $4,000 to spend on a TV, what would you spend it on?

What I would buy? I would probably buy an LCD because they're more portable. I usually do little LAN games or watch movies elsewhere with my 26". This is the new Samsung that has the high contrast ratio. I tried it out on the 360 with component cables at 1080p at Circuit City. However, I doubt your mother would be in the same boat.

LNT65F
http://samsung.com/Products/TV/LCDTV/LNT4065FXXAA.asp

If I was to buy a home theater kind of thing, I would buy the Sony SXRD. It has a high contrast ratio. Excellent response time. The screen is pretty nice that I don't see any problems with it. Also, with Verizon FiOS television, the SD content comes out as nice as it's going to get. It's a television I got to try out Blu-Ray at 1080p off of the PS3, and a bunch of XBox 360 games. A friend owns it, so I get to play games on it every now and than. It's probably my favorite television overall. Like all televisions, when you adjust the screen properly by using something like Avia, it looks amazing.

And if I really wanted a home theater that was a flat panel, I would no doubt go for the Pioneer I listed. As long as everything is set at 720p, it will upscale to 768p with no noticeable issues. As far as things go, it's an amazing set. Good blacks, good screen, good colors, and everything else. If I was your mother and I bought that television this week, I would not regret the purchase.

Quick edit:

Bozart posted:

I am in the same situation as your mother. Right now I am looking at either the Pioneer that the good goon mentioned above, or the Sony XBR2. Then there is that new Samsung with the crazy contrast, but I decided against it because of the supposed glare.

Basically, 4k will get you the top of the line 50 inch or so. You can choose either plasma (720p or whatever) or lcd (1080p)

The new 50" crazy-super LCDs that Samsung has are over $4,000. At least I think they are. At that price, it would just be smarter to go for the plasma.

.Nathan.
Jun 29, 2004

by Fistgrrl

Taco Avenger posted:

Pioneer 5070 or 6070 depending on viewing distance. Spend extra on some sort of nice accessory. I don't think the Pioneer Elite models are worth the 50% price increase. No other display can match the Pioneers. Might be worth looking at the new Samsung LCDs, though. I've never liked LCDs, but from what i've read they're some of the most plasma-like non-plasma displays available.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Moo Moo Bells posted:

Edit: If they don't mind rear-projection units, I would suggest the Sony SXRD LCoS television.

My friend has the 46" 1080p Sharp Aquos and his roommate has one of those Sony LCoS TVs. The viewing angle on it is terrible and I think the Aquos looks just as good. That's not even bringing the overscan issue into play

Douche4Sale
May 8, 2003

...and then God said, "Let there be douche!"

BillyGilmore posted:

The only other thing I was concerned with is the viewing angle of the Toshiba. I read some reviews that they were better than the average DLP, but I was just wondering how your experience has been with your set. You would recommend your set to a potential buyer?

Granted I spend most of my time directly in front of it, but I went and tested and I'd say the picture remains perfect up until ~45 degrees or so (head on being zero degrees and to the side of the screen being 90). I've also had quite a few people over at once and everyone has been spread out to watch and never complained.

I would definitely recommend my set. However, I'd encourage you to maybe look at sets in person if you can. I personally strongly prefer the picture of dlp over lcd (and didn't want to have to worry about response times in games). However, I've heard some people complain about dlps having a rainbow effect. I've never seen it, and I don't know if that is just me personally or if the issue has been fixed in newer dlps. Regardless, it is worth it to check them out either via a friend you know or a higher end video store (not really fair to compare sets in a place like Best Buy).

crab avatar
Mar 15, 2006

iŧ Kë3Ł, cħ gøÐ i- <Ecl8
Skimmed through the thread searching for "Sony" but I've seen no mention of the "U" series Bravias, specifically the KDL-32U2000 (around $1000 here). Apparently it's the budget line. I was just wondering if the brand is worth the money if I could get panels of the same size for $200-300 less by Samsung and co?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

jegHegy posted:

I was just wondering if the brand is worth the money if I could get panels of the same size for $200-300 less by Samsung and co?

To my understanding, Sony uses Samsung panels in their sets. What increases their prices has to do with the signal processing that they do.

So, I would think that the lower priced Sonys would be not much different than their Samsung counterparts for the most part.

As a side note, tracking tells me that my TV has been scanned in Pittsburgh. Estimated delivery date wasn't until Friday and I ordered this thing Thursday night.

Goddamn amazon is fast.

Lazarus84
Dec 17, 2002

We make holes in teeth!

ScootsMagoo posted:

Has anybody heard anything new about laser? I remember hearing last year about laser TVs coming out sometime this year and they sounded promising. Apparently, it's a flat-panel unit with CRT picture quality that's 30% less expensive to produce than an LCD.

Don't know if this is the same thing but Motorola has developed NEDs (Nano-Emissive Displays). Which has all the qualities you're talking about.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nano-emissive_display

samurai slowdown
Jun 11, 2006

POWER UP

ail posted:

What happens when they cut down manufacturing of current-tech DLP bulbs because the format gets abandoned in a couple of years?

*ring ring*
hello, thank you for calling samsung support, how can i be of service?
YOUR GOD drat BULBS COST MORE THAN MY TV IS WORTH
buy a new tv, sir. have a nice day!
*click*

(not saying this will happen, but i am saying it is loving tops to have a tv that has a brightness half-life of 60,000 hours.)

You can still find lamp units for the older microdisplays online. It's profitable enough for another company to step in if the TV manufacturer stops supplying them.

Hockeyman
Dec 19, 2003

I'm sorry, I wasn't listening.
I just got a Samsung 5687W DLP yesterday and it is a beast. The only problem is I'm having a problem programming the channels. I have regular cable (not digital) that comes straight from the wall. I tried the over the air jack and the cable jack and tried all of their different cable types. Does anyone know what I'm doing wrong? I sure hope my set isn't dead or the cable jack is broken. Hopefully I'm just doing something wrong.

Jaketeck
Jul 6, 2004

<3 Robots

Hockeyman posted:

I just got a Samsung 5687W DLP yesterday and it is a beast. The only problem is I'm having a problem programming the channels. I have regular cable (not digital) that comes straight from the wall. I tried the over the air jack and the cable jack and tried all of their different cable types. Does anyone know what I'm doing wrong? I sure hope my set isn't dead or the cable jack is broken. Hopefully I'm just doing something wrong.

Im pretty sure you should just need to have it connected to the Cable coaxial connection in the back. Then make sure in the TVs settings that its set to Cable and not OTA.

Hockeyman
Dec 19, 2003

Ah great, then I think something might be wrong with it.

ail
Jul 8, 2003

by The Finn

Taco Avenger posted:

fyi burn-in isn't really that much of an issue with current plasmas. just don't leave a static image on overnight. avsforum loving freaks out over it, turning brightness down to -15 and changing sources every 30 seconds; it's ridiculous. all you have to do is moderate your source on occassion and you'll be fine. it's something to be aware of, not to panic over.

Bozart
Oct 28, 2006

Give me the finger.

ail posted:

fyi burn-in isn't really that much of an issue with current plasmas. just don't leave a static image on overnight. avsforum loving freaks out over it, turning brightness down to -15 and changing sources every 30 seconds; it's ridiculous. all you have to do is moderate your source on occassion and you'll be fine. it's something to be aware of, not to panic over.

The thing you get nailed on though is with channels like CNN and other news stations. They have tickers with the same static images all day long, so if you leave that channel on for too long it could result in damage.

CORN NOG
Sep 25, 2003

eh, better than wadded beef i guess?

Hockeyman posted:

My Samsung LCD had the same problem. Try using a VCR or something that you know works, to rule out your cable signal being bad.

It turned out the tuner in my TV was shot. I would have just returned it, but it was an open box that I got a particularly good deal on. I called Samsung, and they had someone out in just a couple of days to swap out the part. Took less than half an hour for them to do, and it works perfectly now.

CORN NOG
Sep 25, 2003

Quote != Edit

Hockeyman
Dec 19, 2003

ilikegrapejuice posted:

My Samsung LCD had the same problem. Try using a VCR or something that you know works, to rule out your cable signal being bad.

It turned out the tuner in my TV was shot. I would have just returned it, but it was an open box that I got a particularly good deal on. I called Samsung, and they had someone out in just a couple of days to swap out the part. Took less than half an hour for them to do, and it works perfectly now.

How did you know that it was the case? Did you spend hours on the phone with tech support?

ROOMBA floorvac
Aug 21, 2004
If I buy a 30" LCD with a response time of 8ms, will I get any motion blur from it?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Sigh. My TV is in town, it's less than 10 miles away, but I'm not likely to see it until tomorrow at the earliest. Eagle Global Logistics is handing it off to the local freight agent tonight and I still have to negotiate a delivery time with them tomorrow. Hopefully, their schedule will permit same day delivery.

I really wish I could drive over and pick up the drat thing myself. This is killing me.

CORN NOG
Sep 25, 2003

Hockeyman posted:

How did you know that it was the case? Did you spend hours on the phone with tech support?

Nope. I tried doing the auto program several times on cable, and couldn't pick up anything at all. I ran a coax out from my Tivo, to see if I could get that to show up. No such luck.

I called Samsung and told the lady I had a problem with the tuner in my TV and what I had done to troubleshoot it; she referred me to one of their second-level support people. I repeated to him what I had told the last lady, he asked me for my address and the TV's serial number, then he said he was sending my information and the required part to a local repair shop, and that they would contact me when it got there.

I didn't mind waiting a few days for the people to show up, as I watch very little live TV anyway. If you do, however, and you bought the TV new, you might want to just go back to the store and exchange it.

ail
Jul 8, 2003

by The Finn

Bozart posted:

The thing you get nailed on though is with channels like CNN and other news stations. They have tickers with the same static images all day long, so if you leave that channel on for too long it could result in damage.

Yes, but it would take hours for this to get permanently burned in (you might get image retention sooner but that poo poo goes away).

What kind of loving idiot watches CNN for five hours straight? GET A drat LIFE. Or hell just watch some Golden Girls reruns or something after a couple of hours.

Rakshas
Jun 7, 2003
Oompa Loompa Extraordinarie
Can anyone recommend a good component switcher preferably with a remote? I have a few devices that feel left out that I can't switch.

Dick Jones
Jun 20, 2002

Number 2 Guy at OCP

maverick99 posted:

If I buy a 30" LCD with a response time of 8ms, will I get any motion blur from it?
It depends. Try to view a floor model at a local electronics store before deciding. Since there's no iron-clad industry standard for measuring pixel response time, the only way to be 100% sure there's no blur is to check the TV out in person and view some test footage.

CORN NOG
Sep 25, 2003

Rakshas posted:

Can anyone recommend a good component switcher preferably with a remote? I have a few devices that feel left out that I can't switch.

ilikegrapejuice posted:

The Impact Acoustics 3-play is a good quality component/optical/rca remote controlled switcher and is only fifty bucks.

I used that one for a little while before I got my new receiver, and I think it's easily the best one you can find for under $100.

Hockeyman
Dec 19, 2003

ilikegrapejuice posted:

Nope. I tried doing the auto program several times on cable, and couldn't pick up anything at all. I ran a coax out from my Tivo, to see if I could get that to show up. No such luck.

I called Samsung and told the lady I had a problem with the tuner in my TV and what I had done to troubleshoot it; she referred me to one of their second-level support people. I repeated to him what I had told the last lady, he asked me for my address and the TV's serial number, then he said he was sending my information and the required part to a local repair shop, and that they would contact me when it got there.

I didn't mind waiting a few days for the people to show up, as I watch very little live TV anyway. If you do, however, and you bought the TV new, you might want to just go back to the store and exchange it.

Thanks for the help. I hooked up my dvd player and it worked fine. When I switched back to the cable feed it was fine. I was then able to watch regular cable. Who knows what happened, but it works now. :iiam:

Jaketeck
Jul 6, 2004

<3 Robots
I picked up the new Samsung LN-T4066F today but it seems to be defective. When supply it with a 1080p signal I get this.

It just slowly goes from top to bottom. Takes about 12 seconds to complete its trip then starts all over again. I pray its defective and this isnt something the whole series will do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Insidious5
Aug 23, 2003
HI IM AJ,,,, WHATS SHOT WEB
I'm about to go pick up a Samsung HL-P4663W from tigerdirect.com ( http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1362673&CatId=1830 ) tomorrow. I keep hearing about reliability issues and a buzzing sound coming from the cooling system as the set gets older. Anyone have any issues with this tv? I love the price on it, and I don't think I can get another comparable tv for that price.

• Locked thread