Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CORN NOG
Sep 25, 2003

eh, better than wadded beef i guess?

Insidious5 posted:

I'm about to go pick up a Samsung HL-P4663W from tigerdirect.com ( http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1362673&CatId=1830 ) tomorrow. I keep hearing about reliability issues and a buzzing sound coming from the cooling system as the set gets older. Anyone have any issues with this tv? I love the price on it, and I don't think I can get another comparable tv for that price.

That's a really good price for a TV that size, but it is a fairly old model (three years old, I think.) Picture quality is all right, but SD video games will lag pretty badly. I remember hearing about that buzzing problem a lot (IIRC it was the motor for the color wheel wearing out, but I may be thinking of something else).

You're only getting a 3-month limited warranty, and I've heard a lot of bad things about Tiger Direct. How much do you need a new TV now? How long do you plan to keep this set?

My recommendation? I would put the money towards a newer model. I've seen HL-S5086W's go for around 800-900 bucks used in good condition, and pricegrabber is showing them at about 1100 new from various sites. It's a little bit more money up front, but I think you'd be happier with something like that in the long run.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HEVampersand
Apr 2, 2005

Do you even own a toothbrush?

sinon posted:

if you have JUST bought that set, please tell me you got a price adjustment down to $899.99 for it.. I went in and bought it yesterday with an ad from compUSA Click here to print it You'll have to add to cart in order to see the $899.99 price, but print that badboy out and go show them to get a price adjustment.

$899.99 CDN? They had an open-box one for $100 off, when the new one was on sale for $100 off from $1299.99. They had sold the open box one and left the sticker on next to the new price so I mentioned it and it wasn't long before he knocked the new one down to that. After sticking around, still eyeing the Samsung 3241D on sale for $999.99 I ended up making my decision, but not before mentioning that I was also there to pick up some stuff for my PS3. He replied with, "oh, you wanted something else? Like a game, or a controller or something? Just go and pick something and I'll throw it in for free. I ended up getting a sixaxis and Kingdom of Heaven on blu-ray for free, so the TV ended up costing me around $990 CDN. I have a feeling he still made around "26 points" or so.

already is
Jul 13, 2004
Looking to buy a new TV this summer. What are my options right now for non-plasma televisions that can receive a 1080p/24 signal? My focus obviously being the expected next generation of blu-ray players.

Not looking for a huge TV, just something around 42"

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Jaketeck posted:

I picked up the new Samsung LN-T4066F today but it seems to be defective. When supply it with a 1080p signal I get this.

It just slowly goes from top to bottom. Takes about 12 seconds to complete its trip then starts all over again. I pray its defective and this isnt something the whole series will do.

That looks like some sort of interference pattern to me. If you could try a different 1080p source, that would be the first thing I would do.

Another thing could be refresh rate, if you have a computer hooked up to it, it may be feeding it some odd refresh rate that it's having trouble dealing with.

SaltPig
Jun 21, 2004

So I finally made the HDTV plunge. Spent a good month researching my options and lurking avsforum. (it is worth making an account just to change that god awful color scheme) Because I have a lot of room in my apartment and no real interest in wall mounting I decided to go with LCoS. I feel that LCoS has the qualities of all the technologies without any of faults(burn in, screen lag, screen door, etc.)
Right now only Sony and JVC make LCoS sets, both of which are in my price range of $2000ish. In the past, the Sony LCoS sets have been considered superior to their JVC counterparts. Apparently JVC got their poo poo together because the most current line (HDxxFx97) is on par with the Sony. They are also about 300-500 dollars cheaper.

Anyway
I ended up going with the HD56FN97 because all the reviews were positive and it looked great in the store, better then the Sony KDS-xxA2000. I have had it for 2 weeks now and I couldn't be happier. I don't have anything to test 1080p content yet, but both 720p and 1080i look great when this set up-converts them. So if anyone is looking at rear projection sets, I really recommend taking a look at this.

SaltPig
Jun 21, 2004

Also: Get the extended warranty For rear projection sets especially. Even if you never need it, the warranty will cover a lamp bulb which you will need in to replace before the warranty expires anyway.
Best Buy will totally hooked me up. I got a 300 dollar stand (designed for my HDTV) even though it wasn't marked on the display floor and they had to order it. All is did was mention that I heard that it came with a stand and he said yup and put it on my order for $0.00. They also had a deal where if you upgrade your cable or satellite service through them, they will knock off another $100. Upgrading to Time Warner's HD cable (which I was going to do anyway) was only another 5 bucks a month and you could cancel it after a month even if you didn't want it. If you let them know that you want an extended warranty, they will be much more inclined to through in some extras.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Man, my new LCD won't get here until Monday. I was hoping to have time to set it up and show it off this weekend during my cookout. :(

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

ShaneB posted:

Man, my new LCD won't get here until Monday. I was hoping to have time to set it up and show it off this weekend during my cookout. :(

Sorry, mine just showed up. Now to make it through the rest of the day until I can get it home.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

How much power does the average 37" LCD take to operate, specifically compared to a 27" CRT? I know each set is different, but are LCDs cheap to leave on? Is there any danger of doing so? I'd like to have my 37" LCD on most of the time when people are home, acting as a photo frame displaying photographs from Flickr. This also gets around the 10-12 second boot-up time of the Olevia. Any opinions?

Jaketeck
Jul 6, 2004

<3 Robots
Strangly the scrolling line is gone this morning. I hope it stays that way.

From what Ive seen I think this TV handles Standard Def fairly well. I am very pleased with my purchase. I was thinking of going with the 46" but now that I have the 40" in my living room I can really see how big it is. It seems Huge!

Jaketeck fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Mar 28, 2007

Bozart
Oct 28, 2006

Give me the finger.

ail posted:

Yes, but it would take hours for this to get permanently burned in (you might get image retention sooner but that poo poo goes away).

What kind of loving idiot watches CNN for five hours straight? GET A drat LIFE. Or hell just watch some Golden Girls reruns or something after a couple of hours.

Well, in my case, my roommate. He occasionally falls asleep with the tv on.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

That's the thing with plasma and why I chose LCD. I know burn in problems have been largely eliminated and that if you are careful, you shouldn't have issues. But that's just the thing, I don't really want to worry about having to be careful. If I were getting a display strictly to watch movies on (and didn't have enough room to setup a projection system) I would go plasma. However, for a general use TV, I still don't want to be constrained with "Hum, have I been watching this too long or playing this game too long?"

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

ShaneB posted:

How much power does the average 37" LCD take to operate, specifically compared to a 27" CRT? I know each set is different, but are LCDs cheap to leave on? Is there any danger of doing so? I'd like to have my 37" LCD on most of the time when people are home, acting as a photo frame displaying photographs from Flickr. This also gets around the 10-12 second boot-up time of the Olevia. Any opinions?

According to documentation, my 37" LCD draws as much power as my 26" flatscreen CRT (180W is the number I'm getting off the top of my head)

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

WhyteRyce posted:

According to documentation, my 37" LCD draws as much power as my 26" flatscreen CRT (180W is the number I'm getting off the top of my head)

The 40 incher I just bought draws 250w and my 27inch Trinitron draws about 140w :(

Bigger TVs, Bigger Power bills. Power consumption reduction really only comes into play when you are comparing computer monitor sizes it seems.

The Catalyst
Jan 29, 2003

I'm Mister Hundred and One.

Jaketeck posted:

:words:

Samsung LCD TVs are amazing, much nicer picture than many other sets out there.

.Nathan.
Jun 29, 2004

by Fistgrrl

Bozart posted:

Well, in my case, my roommate. He occasionally falls asleep with the tv on.

Hit the sleep button if you start feeling tired? I fall asleep with my plasma on all the time and there's never a problem, even with long hours of static images. The slight worry about tiny amounts of temporary image retention is a small price to pay for viewing angles and blacks that are unmatched by any other technology. I've abused the hell out of my plasma and my next TV will also be a plasma. I've done just about every no-no out there just to see how my plasma handles it, but it hasn't missed a step. Left it on for literally 30 days straight, paused content for a whole day, fell asleep and left the Windows MCE screen up for 10 hours, etc. The worst retention i had was after watching the World Cup for a whole day. The way ESPN has their scoreboard set-up was pretty much the worst thing a plasma could have - lots of solid black with completely white numbering and words. That said, any trace of it was gone within 20-30 minutes of watching different content. And even for that 20-30 minutes it was only visible on completely solid light content.

Jaketeck posted:

I was thinking of going with the 46" but now that I have the 40" in my living room I can really see how big it is. It seems Huge!

Haha, you will now experience the mystery of the shrinking TV. I thought my 42" set was massive, but with each passing day some sort of gnome comes and steals some of the viewing area. The only way i found to fix this was to go on vacation and put up with a 27" CRT for a week or so. :iiam:

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Yeah, about a month after getting my 42" TV it already feels small.

Commander Jebus
Sep 9, 2001

You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought...

Insidious5 posted:

I'm about to go pick up a Samsung HL-P4663W from tigerdirect.com ( http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1362673&CatId=1830 ) tomorrow. I keep hearing about reliability issues and a buzzing sound coming from the cooling system as the set gets older. Anyone have any issues with this tv? I love the price on it, and I don't think I can get another comparable tv for that price.

I had this exact model TV for just shy of two years. Overall it was a decent TV. PQ was good on both HD and decent on SD sources as it had a really good scaler. Downside to having this good scaler was the input lag on SD consoles, and there isn't a built in game mode to fix it. Hope this isn't an issue with you. Has one HDMI and one DVI (which is nice) as well as VGA. I never notice "rainbows" and the silk screen effect wasn't too bad. Never had a buzzing problem.

Ultimately the TV proved unreliable, as it started to have periodic cooling issues and eventually complete failure of the cooling unit (rendering the TV inoperable) and I replaced the TV with a new LCD under the extended warranty (although it took months for futureshop to finally approve the replacement). Micro-displays are more prone to problems, especially when you look at the older models like the one you are looking at. Keep that in mind.

King Hotpants
Apr 11, 2005

Clint.
Fucking.
Eastwood.
After I got my 100" screen my boss felt the need to go out and get a 120".

Dick.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I have to say, I'm floored by the size of 40 inch. It dwarfs my 27 inch.

ROOMBA floorvac
Aug 21, 2004
Do any of the 30"-40" Samsung LCDs have a problem with ghosting? Or is it basically non-existent nowadays?

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

My 37" looked huge when I took it out of the box. Now it seems barely adequate :cry:

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Well, my Samsung LN-S4095D 40inch LCD is all setup. After letting it run for a few hours, I set to work with DVD essentials.

I am floored. Really, everything I keep throwing at it (except my crappy analog cable) looks phenomenal. I connected my notebook and threw several 1080p trailers at it. I cannot wait for Cartoon Network HD later on this year because the Simpsons trailer and ATHF trailer just about floored me with the sharpness and color fidelity.

I connected my 10 year old Radio Shack desktop amplified antenna to the air input and I can pull in all the broadcast stations OTA except for The CW because it doesn't exist in the Pittsburgh market (their network specturm is in dispute between the station and some guy in bumfuck with a low powered station). The FCC has been deliberating for several years on that one now, ugh.

Man, I so don't want to go to work tomorrow.

Brosa Parks
Jan 28, 2005

Freedom is never voluntarily given by the oppressor; it must be demanded by the oppressed.
I thought my 56" was going to look stupidly big when I got it out of the box, but 4 months later I realize it's a perfect fit for me. :3:

samurai slowdown
Jun 11, 2006

POWER UP

maverick99 posted:

Do any of the 30"-40" Samsung LCDs have a problem with ghosting? Or is it basically non-existent nowadays?

If you're talking about ghosting or blur related to the response time then the answer is no. A response time of 12ms or less is fine for movies or games and most of the name brand LCDs rate about 6 to 8ms. Any motion artifacts on these sets would be source related like your digital cable bandwidth temporarily going all lovely on you.

Jaketeck
Jul 6, 2004

<3 Robots
Can anyone identify the audio connection next to the VGA port?

AVSforum cant decide if its a standard headphone sized jack or mini TOS link. I dont want to go jamming things in the wrong hole of my new TV.

Brosa Parks
Jan 28, 2005

Freedom is never voluntarily given by the oppressor; it must be demanded by the oppressed.
Looks like a regular 1/8" to me. Why would the TV have an optical in? Do any?

The fact that it's right next to the VGA port and enclosed under the "PC IN" bracket says 1/8" in to me.

Jaketeck
Jul 6, 2004

<3 Robots

Mr. Gone posted:

Looks like a regular 1/8" to me. Why would the TV have an optical in? Do any?

The fact that it's right next to the VGA port and enclosed under the "PC IN" bracket says 1/8" in to me.

Most do. Its so if you have a lovely reciever(like I do) you can run everything in to the TV. Instead of having to switch inputs on both the TV and Reciver you just do it on the TV and have the TV output to the reciever.

Brosa Parks
Jan 28, 2005

Jaketeck posted:

Most do. Its so if you have a lovely reciever(like I do) you can run everything in to the TV. Instead of having to switch inputs on both the TV and Reciver you just do it on the TV and have the TV output to the reciever.

I'm sure there are some sets with an optical audio input, but I really don't think that "most" do. I'm looking at different sets online right now and I'm having trouble finding one.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Jaketeck posted:

AVSforum cant decide if its a standard headphone sized jack or mini TOS link. I dont want to go jamming things in the wrong hole of my new TV.

Since you have a samsung like me (though not the same model) I think I can safely say it's a 3.5mm headphone sized jack. It's perfect for hooking up PC audio to the TV.

The Catalyst
Jan 29, 2003

I'm Mister Hundred and One.

maverick99 posted:

If I buy a 30" LCD with a response time of 8ms, will I get any motion blur from it?

maverick99 posted:

The 30"-40" Samsung LCDs are absolutely stunning when run through a good source and calibrated correctly. Another thing to consider is that you really don't need a 1080p set if you're getting something smaller than a 50" set, get a 1080i and save yourself some scratch. Your eyes won't able to see the difference if you're sitting more than 5 to 8 feet away from set anyhow.

Here's some good info on the subject: http://www.tv.com/story/2595.html

crab avatar
Mar 15, 2006

iŧ Kë3Ł, cħ gøÐ i- <Ecl8
:awesome: POP QUIZ :awesome:

Does it void Samsung's warranty if you mess in the hidden service menu on an LCD HDTV? Any way to hide the fact that you've changed stuff in it before you ship it off for service? I've been reading some user comments on the set I'm eyeing (LE-32S71B) on another forum and many people were complaining about the default colour setup. (greys too green, skintone too red, etc)

ROOMBA floorvac
Aug 21, 2004

The Catalyst posted:

The 30"-40" Samsung LCDs are absolutely stunning when run through a good source and calibrated correctly. Another thing to consider is that you really don't need a 1080p set if you're getting something smaller than a 50" set, get a 1080i and save yourself some scratch. Your eyes won't able to see the difference if you're sitting more than 5 to 8 feet away from set anyhow.

So how do you go about calibrating a Samsung LCD?

CORN NOG
Sep 25, 2003

eh, better than wadded beef i guess?

jegHegy posted:

:awesome: POP QUIZ :awesome:

To the best of my knowledge, no.

isotope4
Jul 8, 2005

Better living through chemistry
What's the consensus on this

My dad was looking at this but it looks as though that doesn't have true 1080p resolution (no 1080p HDMI input).

Basically we're looking for a set to replace our 50 inch rear projection SDTV.

isotope4 fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Mar 29, 2007

King Hotpants
Apr 11, 2005

Clint.
Fucking.
Eastwood.

isotope4 posted:

My dad was looking at this but it looks as though that doesn't have true 1080p resolution (no 1080p HDMI input).

It has two HDMI inputs, what's the problem?

isotope4
Jul 8, 2005

King Hotpants posted:

It has two HDMI inputs, what's the problem?

From what I've read the HDMI inputs are not in 1080p, only the coaxial input is, plus the other set looks nicer in general.

King Hotpants
Apr 11, 2005

Clint.
Fucking.
Eastwood.

isotope4 posted:

From what I've read the HDMI inputs are not in 1080p, only the coaxial input is, plus the other set looks nicer in general.

If that's true it would be the stupidest loving thing I've ever heard.

isotope4
Jul 8, 2005

King Hotpants posted:

If that's true it would be the stupidest loving thing I've ever heard.

Yeah I thought the same thing.

Any input on the other set?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Donkey Kunt
Mar 19, 2006

I'm a cat.

The Catalyst posted:

If you're talking about LCDs, they show 720p, not 1080i. You would get 1080i from an analog display such as a CRT. All LCDs are 720p, they accept 1080i signals and then downconverts them to 720p.

Edit: I'm going to be clarifying that as it was poorly written. I hope this is better worded.

LCDs are not 1080i native. That resolution is something you would find on ab HD CRT. As was said, you would be spending more money than needed at that size if you were to buy a 1080p LCD. An LCD HDTV would either show 720p, or 1080p as the native picture.

LCDs are capable of receiving a 1080i signal and scaling that image down to its native resolution which is a progressive picture.

Donkey Kunt fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Mar 30, 2007

• Locked thread