Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheFuzzyLumpkin
Sep 15, 2003

But you are a person, and I can't say I'm awfully fond of that.

clockworkjoe posted:

Man, I thought I was a huge D&D nerd, but I had never heard of eyes of fear and flame. Did they actually appear in any modules?

I can't believe I'm freaking answering this question, but they are in the Book of Vile Darkness. Their thing is apparently doing bizarre psychological torture type things, like saying "go kill your best friend or I'll torture you both to death."

They're pretty freaking lame, so I'm all over the one in OotS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Sock posted:

Redcloak's going to return it to the store and get his money back after getting use out of it. Because he's evil.

Is he going to return it...without a receipt?

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Rolled a 1 on the random encounter table, didn't you?

TheFuzzyLumpkin posted:

I can't believe I'm freaking answering this question, but they are in the Book of Vile Darkness. Their thing is apparently doing bizarre psychological torture type things, like saying "go kill your best friend or I'll torture you both to death."

if you look at the ENworld link, it says they are from 1st ed. Since I began in 2nd ed. I never ran across them. However, I can think of modules that use the other two forms of undead, but not the eye.

Kojiro
Aug 11, 2003

LET'S GET TO THE TOP!

TheFuzzyLumpkin posted:

Seems to be a stupid question for a CR8 monster to ask a fully-geared up party with their gang of friends.

bgaesop
Nov 1, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I just bought On the Origin of PCs today, and am halfway done with it. It's really good, despite being black and white. It's not necessary for understanding the plot, but it does make certain comics (such as this one) much more interesting, and it's just good fun, too. Overall, very worth the $13 I spent on it. I won't scan any pages or anything, but if anyone has questions about the content feel free to ask.

vanPart
Nov 19, 2004
NEW STRIP IS UP

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0432.html

Coconut oil and pokeballs

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Lower those eyebrows, young man. And the other one.
I hope guy-I-let-out-of-prison-to-fight doesn't die.

also, love the "chu" sound effect.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

farraday posted:

I hope guy-I-let-out-of-prison-to-fight doesn't die.

Seconded, he is rather amusing.

bgaesop
Nov 1, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Yeah, I like him. I really hope Roy doesn't die, though, On the Origin of PCs has made me really like him.

Shavnir
Apr 5, 2005

A MAN'S DREAM CAN NEVER DIE

Backdoor Blanche posted:

I just bought On the Origin of PCs today, and am halfway done with it. It's really good, despite being black and white. It's not necessary for understanding the plot, but it does make certain comics (such as this one) much more interesting, and it's just good fun, too. Overall, very worth the $13 I spent on it. I won't scan any pages or anything, but if anyone has questions about the content feel free to ask.

Ha, I was hoping I'd be the only one not to read that book.

Curious though, would making refrences to plotlines started in it be spoiler text material?

bgaesop
Nov 1, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post
There's not much in it that's really new, most of it is just fleshing out the backstories and interactions between the characters, as well as being just interesting new stories. Off the top of my head, the only big new thing I can think of is that Durkon has been prophesized to "bring death and destruction to us all" (us all being the dwarves) when he returns home. That's why he was sent out into human lands, to hopefully keep him from ever being able to return, the High Priest of Odin is hoping he'll be eaten by a monster and never get back.

Vorxnyx
Sep 4, 2002

they told me how to make this implant
they said it would make a better me of me
Okay these battle scenes are pretty funny but for the love of god just get to the resolution already :gonk:

Gay Polymers
Jun 14, 2005

I hear voices in my head
They talk to me
They understand
Where are my keys?

the_steve posted:

Is he going to return it...without a receipt?

Not only that, but he's going to return it... to a different store than he bought it from!

Detetsu
Jan 14, 2006

Your loyal assistant Dr. Meowgon is all over this one.

Backdoor Blanche posted:

There's not much in it that's really new, most of it is just fleshing out the backstories and interactions between the characters, as well as being just interesting new stories. Off the top of my head, the only big new thing I can think of is that Durkon has been prophesized to "bring death and destruction to us all" (us all being the dwarves) when he returns home. That's why he was sent out into human lands, to hopefully keep him from ever being able to return, the High Priest of Odin is hoping he'll be eaten by a monster and never get back.

Wouldn't the obvious loophole be for him to never leave in the first place?

bgaesop
Nov 1, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Detetsu posted:

Wouldn't the obvious loophole be for him to never leave in the first place?

They specifically address that, actually. "He would have left home eventually, to get food or visit his uncle. Even if he was imprisoned, he'd eventually escape and then disaster would surely follow. But I know tha lad. He's so Lawful, if I command him ta stay away until I send for him, he will-- Even if it means spendin' tha rest o' his life exiled!"

Vanadium
Jan 8, 2005

I am not really familiar with D&D's magic system, what kind of spell would Redcloak use to create/summon the Xykon clones?

bgaesop
Nov 1, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Vanadium posted:

I am not really familiar with D&D's magic system, what kind of spell would Redcloak use to create/summon the Xykon clones?

Greater Animate Dead.

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

Les soldats se trouvent dans la vérité.

Backdoor Blanche posted:

Since we already know that Durkon is going to return to his homeland (posthumously) maybe he'll get turned into a powerful evil undead later on and return to destroy the community that exiled him. :)

Jibba Jabba
Aug 27, 2003

FUTURE
DEAD
PERSON
Reading over the current storyline, I just realized that the prisoner that refused the pardon deal is Haley's father.

I really like how the plot ties together so many subtle elements.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Jibba Jabba posted:

Reading over the current storyline, I just realized that the prisoner that refused the pardon deal is Haley's father.

I really like how the plot ties together so many subtle elements.

could you link to the strip where she reads the note about her father? I thought he was somewhere other than azure city.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

greatn posted:

could you link to the strip where she reads the note about her father? I thought he was somewhere other than azure city.

You're right. http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0131.html

Jibba Jabba
Aug 27, 2003

FUTURE
DEAD
PERSON

Cowcaster posted:

You're right. http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0131.html

Whoops; I thought the prisoner looked a lot like the father in the one strip he appeared.

I'd link it, but I don't remember when that comic aired.

Efreet saiid
Jan 29, 2006

by Lowtax
I really hope they actually end up rescuing her father at some point, i'd like to see this guy's take on an evil nation ruled by a tyrant, assuming there's not a fake-out going on.

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Rolled a 1 on the random encounter table, didn't you?

Jibba Jabba posted:

Whoops; I thought the prisoner looked a lot like the father in the one strip he appeared.

I'd link it, but I don't remember when that comic aired.

I thought that was in the Origin of the PCs book. I.E. YOU MUST PAY TO READ IT RARGH

but I have it and it's pretty cool.

Spaz mk. 2.0
Apr 19, 2005

Shank 'em if ya got 'em, fellas!

Leikr Elferston posted:

I really hope they actually end up rescuing her father at some point, i'd like to see this guy's take on an evil nation ruled by a tyrant, assuming there's not a fake-out going on.

I'm mostly just basing this on a hunch, but I think that that Lord Tyrinar dude is Elan's dad, which would make that arc even cooler.

Ununnilium
Oct 23, 2006

An imperfect duplicate of love

Spaz mk. 2.0 posted:

I'm mostly just basing this on a hunch, but I think that that Lord Tyrinar dude is Elan's dad, which would make that arc even cooler.

...that... would make sense. Dangit.

Efreet saiid
Jan 29, 2006

by Lowtax
I was thinking along the lines of red color scheme/horned helmets even without making that link, and their dad is/was LE according to the strip. And it would be cool to see how Nale gets along with his dad.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Given the things Xykon has at his siposal, what in the world could the shadowy monster actually be? Virtually the only thing bigger than anything he's used so far that I can think of would be the Tarrasque, but the creature is way too small to be the tarrasque.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

greatn posted:

Given the things Xykon has at his siposal, what in the world could the shadowy monster actually be? Virtually the only thing bigger than anything he's used so far that I can think of would be the Tarrasque, but the creature is way too small to be the tarrasque.

That and way too smart. The tarraque is just a mindless engine of destruction. It wouldn't be taking poo poo from Xykon or Redcloak.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0433.html

:siren: New strip is up :siren:

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Lower those eyebrows, young man. And the other one.
Hey anyone think guy-I-let-out-of-prison-to-fight, looks a lot like the shadowdancer guy from the hotel arc?

Hmmmm

Poor Belkar, standing there, unable to mayhem.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

farraday posted:

Poor Belkar, standing there, unable to mayhem.

Seriously, you'd think the whole "We needs all the help we can get" mindset might have given one the foresight to whip up a quick Dispel or whatever it takes to get that Mark off of him.

Efreet saiid
Jan 29, 2006

by Lowtax
Don't worry, there'll be plenty of undead to go around.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Leikr Elferston posted:

Don't worry, there'll be plenty of undead to go around.

Goose
Goose
Goose
Goose
Geese

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
Aw, the archer-prisoner-badass-guy is so going to be a PC! This seems to further support the theory that one of the Order is going to die by this arc's end, though :(

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

Les soldats se trouvent dans la vérité.

Wolfsheim posted:

Aw, the archer-prisoner-badass-guy is so going to be a PC! This seems to further support the theory that one of the Order is going to die by this arc's end, though :(

I'd say that Belkar seems like a likely candidate to die since the oracle they visited had said that he was going to die soon. Though he admittedly never commented on the lifespans of other members of the OotS, so there's alwas the chance it'll be someone else. (Or maybe since he's a Rogue it's Haley that'll die as that would allow the party to maintain the same class composition it currently has. :))

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

Factor_VIII posted:

I'd say that Belkar seems like a likely candidate to die since the oracle they visited had said that he was going to die soon. Though he admittedly never commented on the lifespans of other members of the OotS, so there's alwas the chance it'll be someone else. (Or maybe since he's a Rogue it's Haley that'll die as that would allow the party to maintain the same class composition it currently has. :))

Oh you shut your filthy whore's mouth. Haley isn't going to die, no sir. Especially not when there's a great deal of plot relating to her that's still to be explored.

Spaceship Zero
Jul 24, 2006

The soul of vengeance is a robot dinosaur
Aw, I didn't like today's strip so much. Seems like throwaway filler.

Oh well, they can't all be gold.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Fuego Fish posted:

Oh you shut your filthy whore's mouth. Haley isn't going to die, no sir. Especially not when there's a great deal of plot relating to her that's still to be explored.

Plus Elan can't get his happy ending if she dies, can he?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adimeadozen
Apr 6, 2004
Not That Guy

Factor_VIII posted:

(Or maybe since he's a Rogue it's Haley that'll die as that would allow the party to maintain the same class composition it currently has. :))

Rogue, maybe, but he does seem to be whipping out the Manyshot like a ranger (not that a rogue couldn't take manyshot).