Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Rolled a 1 on the random encounter table, didn't you?

Adimeadozen posted:

Rogue, maybe, but he does seem to be whipping out the Manyshot like a ranger (not that a rogue couldn't take manyshot).

Or a fighter specializing in archery. Or a fighter/rogue. Or one of any number of prestige classes aimed at archery.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Efreet saiid
Jan 29, 2006

by Lowtax
There's an interview up with the author here-

http://sequentialtart.com/article.php?id=467

One answer in particular supports what a lot of people have been saying on the thread about his composition:

quote:

ST: What design school did you go to? Did you enjoy it?

RB: I went to Pratt Institute, in Brooklyn, NY. I ended up with a degree in Illustration, much to the surprise of those familiar with my current work. I enjoyed it immensely, even though I spent perhaps a little more time learning to render than, as it turns out, was strictly necessary. To be clear, though, I was drawing stick figures before I ever even heard of the school, so don't blame them for it. They tried to shake it out of me; I was just too stubborn to listen. But everything I learned about color use or panel composition, though, I picked up at Pratt.

Every once in a while, I get some smartass who walks up to me at a convention and says, dripping in sarcasm, "Gee, I bet your art teachers must be really proud of you!" (The implication being that I'm supposed to be embarrassed by my art on OOTS, and that my instructors would be too.) It makes me smile because every truly great teacher I've ever had the privilege of studying art under wouldn't see it that way — because art really is more than just rendering anatomy, especially comic art. Communicating the actions of the main characters is the primary goal here, not to show off how well I understand facial structure. My art communicates just fine, most of the time, though I'm constantly attempting to refine it. So yeah, I think my teachers would at least understand what I'm trying here without judging

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
Guys let's hang out at the next con and be his "punch smartasses in the face crew." Did these people not experience the How to Draw books in their childhoods? I get a warm feeling every time I see a OoTS dragon because it makes me think of fifth grade, peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, and dodgeball.

Efreet saiid
Jan 29, 2006

by Lowtax
They're probably all Piro fans anyway.

Adimeadozen
Apr 6, 2004
Not That Guy

clockworkjoe posted:

Or a fighter specializing in archery. Or a fighter/rogue. Or one of any number of prestige classes aimed at archery.

Yep, in fact I'd say a rogue would be the archer who'd benefit least from Manyshot (since sneak attack would connect only once, and average base attack).

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Adimeadozen posted:

Yep, in fact I'd say a rogue would be the archer who'd benefit least from Manyshot (since sneak attack would connect only once, and average base attack).

yeah and weapon specialization and strength damage bonuses count for each arrow. All he needs is a ranged cleave feat :v:

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

I was assuming the new archer was going to be a new Linear Guild member, one that's going to stick around longer than the last set of recruits.

Admiral Lasers
Dec 10, 2000

There's no need for him in the Linear Guild, so long as they've got Sabine to be Haley's evil counterpart.

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Lower those eyebrows, young man. And the other one.
http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0434.html

:siren: New Strip! :siren:

Man poor Roy, his great vendetta just keeps getting pettier and pettier.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

Badass.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
And the mystery of the glowing sword is solved. You're making Roy angry, you wouldn't like Roy's sword when he's angry.

Unless you think green glowing swords are awesome, then you might like it a lot.

Gyges fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Apr 3, 2007

bgaesop
Nov 1, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I really like this comic. I don't think I can add anything more besides that.

Nobby
Sep 10, 2006

Everyone cries when they're stabbed. There's no shame in that.

rantmo posted:

Badass.

REALLY badass.

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

I AM NOT BEING PAID TO CORRECT OTHER PEOPLE'S POSTS! DONKEY!!

Ever since the other week, when Roy attacked Xykon and Xykon said "Unholy crap!"...

I've been hearing Xykon as having Strong Bad's voice.

Soylentbits
Apr 2, 2007

im worried that theyre setting her up to be jotaros future wife or something.
The only thing I never really understood about Roy's sword is why the weaponsmith thought it was a good idea to remove its undead smiting abilities. Did he just dislike the combination of magic and weapons? Was he mayhap insinuating a better time when weapons were just finely crafted pieces of metal and you had to walk fifteen miles in the snow to get to a decent anvil?

R.Q.E.
Nov 18, 2004

Mmmm! That's good plasma!
I'm actually consistently impressed with his art style, and I'm not shocked in the least he's studied at an impressive institute like Pratt. He conveys an amazing range of emotion and does a fantastic job of storytelling with such a barebones art style.

Adimeadozen
Apr 6, 2004
Not That Guy

Parahexavoctal posted:

Ever since the other week, when Roy attacked Xykon and Xykon said "Unholy crap!"...

Funny, something about the writing in the comic today had me hearing Xykon having Bender from Futurama's voice.

RickoniX
Dec 4, 2005

A human or elf?

NO NOT A BADGER YOU GOON

Soylentbits posted:

The only thing I never really understood about Roy's sword is why the weaponsmith thought it was a good idea to remove its undead smiting abilities. Did he just dislike the combination of magic and weapons? Was he mayhap insinuating a better time when weapons were just finely crafted pieces of metal and you had to walk fifteen miles in the snow to get to a decent anvil?

She thought it might have been a gift for his mummy.

(That was Burlew's answer when asked)

Efreet saiid
Jan 29, 2006

by Lowtax

Soylentbits posted:

That whole bit with the "side effect" was just a joke, making fun of the fact that things are rarely that easy in such stories, and are often in fact ridiculously difficult in ways that don't even make sense. And that doesn't even factor in the miserly attitude some GM's have towards treasure and good fortune in general.

Jon
Nov 30, 2004

Adimeadozen posted:

Funny, something about the writing in the comic today had me hearing Xykon having Bender from Futurama's voice.

This, for me. I just imagine him as the most self-absorbed person possible, and I come away with Bender.

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

I think the new archer is going to be a cohort for OOTS. He's useful, probably going to be important to the battle and will either be saved by one of the OOTS or save one of them. Either way, Hinjo doesn't want the prisoner to hang around and sticks him with the PCs.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Parahexavoctal posted:

I've always heard him as the robot devil from Futurama.

King Crab
Nov 12, 2005

lets pretend i didnt say that and lets als0 pretend it isnt inevitable

clockworkjoe posted:

I think the new archer is going to be a cohort for OOTS. He's useful, probably going to be important to the battle and will either be saved by one of the OOTS or save one of them. Either way, Hinjo doesn't want the prisoner to hang around and sticks him with the PCs.

Sometimes an NPC is just an NPC.

cell
Nov 25, 2003

The more Johnny the better.

greatn posted:

Me, too. I think it's the permanent grin.

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

Literature is not exhaustible, for the sufficient and simple reason that no single book is. A book is not an isolated being: it is a relationship, an axis of innumerable relationships.
I was kinda right but not really. Plot device, yes; magical artifact of awesome power, no.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Heresiarch posted:

I was kinda right but not really. Plot device, yes; magical artifact of awesome power, no.

It DOES retain alignment, or something though.
Remember, Roy kept coming up as Evil on a Detect Evil check because he was wearing it.

Spaz mk. 2.0
Apr 19, 2005

Shank 'em if ya got 'em, fellas!
Evil auras can rub off on objects that are close to it a lot, like the crown that Xykon wears. It usually only lasts for an hour or so after being moved away though. However, someone with an overwhelming aura can make it last for several days, but in order to have that they'd need 21+ hit dice.

Cirofren
Jun 13, 2005

Pillbug

greatn posted:

As have I, but I never realised it until just now as I haven't watched Futurama in ages.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

I think I wanna buy this as an avatar for myself, if I can come up with something clever underneath.

Or an animated one of his "Badass, Really Badass" scene.

Daneaxe
Jan 9, 2006
Hey, new strip's up.

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0435.html

This I wasn't expecting, and I think a lot of theories just went down the drain.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
I was proven wrong, in the best way possible.

I think my favorite thing about Belkar isn't the cliche bloodlust stabbity stab-stabness, but more the fact that he's so single-minded that even in situations where he's badly outnumbered all he wants is to go on a murderous rampage, unlike most stereotypical psychopath characters who are also cowardly and plotting. One of my favorite comics (unlinked; if you think I'm trudging through the archives you're mistaken) is the one where Miko is chasing him through the palace, and when he manages to knock her out by tricking her with his lead sheet, he waits until she regains consciousness because he wants to continue fighting her.

I guess you could say his shallowness gives him more character depth??

ZorbaTHut
May 5, 2005

wake me when the world is saved

Wolfsheim posted:

I guess you could say his shallowness gives him more character depth??

The nice thing about shallow characters is that it's easy to avoid contradictions. Belkar likes stabbing living things. End of story!

I have to admit I've kind of grown to hate tortured morally-ambiguous villains or evil people. It's like they're so weak-willed that they spend all their time agonizing over their actions. I like evil guys who either know they're evil or (incorrectly) know they're good.

Belkar and Miko fill these two roles perfectly.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Daneaxe posted:

Hey, new strip's up.

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0435.html

This I wasn't expecting, and I think a lot of theories just went down the drain.

Woohoo, Belkar is back in action!

Plus, that will probably convince Hinjo to reduce the jail sentence back to being off the hook.

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.
Hahaha, I was just gonna come into this thread and say "gently caress your theories" but that's already been covered. Oh, Belkar.

Spaceship Zero
Jul 24, 2006

The soul of vengeance is a robot dinosaur
Holy poo poo, that was totally out of left field and totally loving awesome.

Boggus
Mar 26, 2007

A yellow jumpsuit makes all the difference.
Anyone think that poison arrow will have any other intended outcome in this fight, seeing how it just flies away?

Admiral Lasers
Dec 10, 2000

I was just thinking that. That, and, wasn't there a 'you can only be so far from Roy' rule to the Mark Of Justice?

Nomenklatura
Dec 4, 2002

If Canada is to survive, it can only survive in mutual respect and in love for one another.

the_steve posted:

Woohoo, Belkar is back in action!
Can I get a "Hell, yes!"

(Hell Yes!)

I know I'm late to this realization, but it's amazing how good this strip has become.

Gay Polymers
Jun 14, 2005

I hear voices in my head
They talk to me
They understand
Where are my keys?

Admiral Lasers posted:

I was just thinking that. That, and, wasn't there a 'you can only be so far from Roy' rule to the Mark Of Justice?

Yeah, but wasn't it a mile or something like that? I think Belkar's fine unless Roy bites it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sam Hall
Jun 29, 2003

Boggus posted:

Anyone think that poison arrow will have any other intended outcome in this fight, seeing how it just flies away?

And if it did hit somebody, couldn't Belkar technically be said to have caused their death?

gee i'd hate to be roy or v right about now