Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Uncle Caveman
Jun 16, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Crustashio posted:

If I could have gotten that silver hardware on my epiphone explorer I would have easily gone for the black over the natural finish. Gold hardware on black guitars look like poo poo.
For everyone complaining about gold hardware:

Go to the store, buy some metal cleaner like Brasso or Nevr-Dull. Rub this stuff on your hardware. The gold plating is applied over a nickel base. Congrats, you now have nickel hardware.

:science:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr JinX
Jul 10, 2001

Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger

SeventySeven posted:

Limited Edition gold G400? Niiiiice. I have the option of picking the exact same up tomorrow or waiting to get a G400 in cherry red. I really love the cherry red but I'm seriously considering the gold one.

Did you have to make that decision? I'm finding it really tough. :(

edit: waiting for the cherry red.
I am thinking of selling a few off to get a faded cherry gibson SG I love this epi so much. I slapped some GFS pickups in it and its awesome

Lobster Johnson
Sep 23, 2004

jealous of the flies and the worms inside me
Well, I splurged :fap:

A Tech21 Trademark 30. Single channel, 30w, basically a Tech21 GT2 + poweramp + speaker. I'm totally in love with this thing - it does so many sounds, does them well and sounds great at any volume.

eBay purchase #1: EHX Micro Synth! Brings the funk like nothing else.

eBay purchase #2: EHX Hog & Hog Foot pedal! This is a fun one - part envelope synth ala the one above and part octave generator, like the EHX Pog. It's polyphonic, so it works on chords, and has a few other weird functions thrown in, like a whammy style octave/step bender, a wah and a "Freeze" thing, that holds chords or notes until you let the button go. Some seriously unbelievable sounds come out of it. The external pedal saves and triggers up to 6 presets.

eBay purchase #3: Moogerfooger Murf. Yeah, another synth. This one is even harder to explain than the last. It's a very fat sounding EQ coupled with a pattern generator that steps through each band on the EQ at a variable rate, passing it through an envelope filter. Warm chorus and tremolo sounds at one end, percussive craziness at the other. And being a Moog, it's fat and warm analogue bliss. Now I'm craving a FreqBox but that might be blowing the budget.

Loop time! A big Boss RC-50. 99 patches, 3 loop channels per phrase, syncs to a pc via USB. Check out the "Rico Loop Performace" under Boss' 2006 videos.

More looping! A Digitech Jamman. What the gently caress do I want another looper for? Well, I was eyeing off the EXH 2880 as it has 4 loop channels plus a 5th stereo channel that you can mix down your loops to. Not being able to find one locally, and the fact that the 2880 only understands 4/4 time, I went with a separate loop box for mixdowns. This one also has 99 patches and USB.

Finally, some new pickups for my main guitar, a '97 Les Paul Joe Perry signature. Was a little over the honky, midrangey sound of the stock PAFs, so I went with the popular Seymour Duncan Jazz neck, JB bridge combo. Loving it so far, especially the Jazz.

Closeup:

Background: I've been in a huge rut with my playing for the last few years, which is depressing. Rather than let it completely die, I decided to set a budget and buy up some new and interesting gear, items geared towards spontaneity and tweaking. The next step will be selling my second guitar, a 98 black SG special, my old amp and some other bits of crap to fund a new guitar (possibly a Maton) and another Moogerfooger or two.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Lobster Johnson posted:

Well, I splurged :fap:

A Tech21 Trademark 30. Single channel, 30w, basically a Tech21 GT2 + poweramp + speaker. I'm totally in love with this thing - it does so many sounds, does them well and sounds great at any volume.

eBay purchase #1: EHX Micro Synth! Brings the funk like nothing else.

eBay purchase #2: EHX Hog & Hog Foot pedal! This is a fun one - part envelope synth ala the one above and part octave generator, like the EHX Pog. It's polyphonic, so it works on chords, and has a few other weird functions thrown in, like a whammy style octave/step bender, a wah and a "Freeze" thing, that holds chords or notes until you let the button go. Some seriously unbelievable sounds come out of it. The external pedal saves and triggers up to 6 presets.

eBay purchase #3: Moogerfooger Murf. Yeah, another synth. This one is even harder to explain than the last. It's a very fat sounding EQ coupled with a pattern generator that steps through each band on the EQ at a variable rate, passing it through an envelope filter. Warm chorus and tremolo sounds at one end, percussive craziness at the other. And being a Moog, it's fat and warm analogue bliss. Now I'm craving a FreqBox but that might be blowing the budget.

Loop time! A big Boss RC-50. 99 patches, 3 loop channels per phrase, syncs to a pc via USB. Check out the "Rico Loop Performace" under Boss' 2006 videos.

More looping! A Digitech Jamman. What the gently caress do I want another looper for? Well, I was eyeing off the EXH 2880 as it has 4 loop channels plus a 5th stereo channel that you can mix down your loops to. Not being able to find one locally, and the fact that the 2880 only understands 4/4 time, I went with a separate loop box for mixdowns. This one also has 99 patches and USB.

Finally, some new pickups for my main guitar, a '97 Les Paul Joe Perry signature. Was a little over the honky, midrangey sound of the stock PAFs, so I went with the popular Seymour Duncan Jazz neck, JB bridge combo. Loving it so far, especially the Jazz.

Closeup:

Background: I've been in a huge rut with my playing for the last few years, which is depressing. Rather than let it completely die, I decided to set a budget and buy up some new and interesting gear, items geared towards spontaneity and tweaking. The next step will be selling my second guitar, a 98 black SG special, my old amp and some other bits of crap to fund a new guitar (possibly a Maton) and another Moogerfooger or two.

good lord how wealthy are you?!

mofolotopo
May 10, 2004

TICK STAMPEDE!!!!

3toes posted:

Precisely my thinking. I looked at all of that and thought "well, that's the sort of thing I might buy if I no longer needed food or a place to live".

SeventySeven
Jan 18, 2005
I AM A FAGGOT WHO BEGGED EXTREMITY TO CREATE AM ACCOUNT FOR ME. PLEASE PELT ME WITH ASSORTED GOODS.

Mr JinX posted:

I am thinking of selling a few off to get a faded cherry gibson SG I love this epi so much. I slapped some GFS pickups in it and its awesome

Everyone I've talked to says even that stock Epi is pretty awesome, but with new pickups it screams and is almost comparable to a Gibson. Not bad for a $600 (AU) guitar. I'm so disappointed it could take several more weeks until mine gets here.

Mr JinX
Jul 10, 2001

Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger

SeventySeven posted:

Everyone I've talked to says even that stock Epi is pretty awesome, but with new pickups it screams and is almost comparable to a Gibson. Not bad for a $600 (AU) guitar. I'm so disappointed it could take several more weeks until mine gets here.

Yeah, its great- I paid 200 for it from music123 and put a Dream 90 in the bridge and a fender split coil in the neck. Im unhappy with the 90's noise so I ordered a PAF last night. I may replace the tuners too with locking ones soon as well

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!
Should I get a Roland G-707?

Or an Ovation Viper?

Or this Jaguar?

I want a midi guitar so I can use it as a controller for a mic hooked up to a vocoder, hence the G-707, but I don't even know if that's possible. Or the Viper because they're badass and I'll never find a GP for a decent price, or the Jaguar because they're my favourite guitars of all time. I already have two Jaguars though, and it might be time for a change.

Specifically I was thinking the G-707 so I can use it like DFA1979 used their midi keyboards through a vocoder to change their voice in songs from their EP, or the way Daft Punk sings "Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger" near the end of the song. Anybody know about this? Or am I gonna have to experiment with it myself?

Help goons. :saddowns:

XYZAB fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Apr 4, 2007

Aeon_
Jan 6, 2002

See you, space cowboy.
I can vouch for HH Jaguars being great, but I'm not sure I would go with a Bigsby on it.

Then again, you already own two, so I don't know what the point would be. I don't really like the other two guitars you're looking at that much, and would probably go for something else.

Check out the Fender '65 RI Mustangs? Or maybe a Jazzmaster?

Aeon_ fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Apr 4, 2007

an AOL chatroom
Oct 3, 2002

Doesn't the 707 require some sort of fancy proprietary floorboard dealie to make it output real midi?

edit: Are you getting the idea for the Ovation and the 707 from Chrisguitars.com? I only ask because I noticed that they were both on the front page of "new" items, and didn't see any other place in the universe where their paths would cross.

an AOL chatroom fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Apr 4, 2007

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

bisticles posted:

Doesn't the 707 require some sort of fancy proprietary floorboard dealie to make it output real midi?

edit: Are you getting the idea for the Ovation and the 707 from Chrisguitars.com? I only ask because I noticed that they were both on the front page of "new" items, and didn't see any other place in the universe where their paths would cross.

Yeah the 707 is pretty much useless without its synth thing supposedly. And no, I've never been to chrisguitars.com. I've had an interest in the 707 for the longest time because it's just so loving weird looking, and the Viper because Josh Homme and Joey Santiago used them from time to time and they're pretty unique.

Edit: Holy poo poo, thanks for the chrisguitars link... I'm getting $1500 back in income taxes and $1000 for my drawing when the gallery exhibition it's at finishes up... I hope the 707 is still there in two weeks.

XYZAB fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Apr 4, 2007

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe
This. Soon.

god i can't wait

Buying the 6Ds was pretty much the stupidest thing I've ever done. I don't know who fell asleep at QC but the speaker I sent back to be fixed is still dead and to add insult to injury, its green LED has died, too.

gently caress.

Selling my MPC1000 so I can get this:

mofolotopo
May 10, 2004

TICK STAMPEDE!!!!

Yoozer posted:

You will not regret it. Just make drat sure you've got a firewire card with a TI chipset.

belikeron
Mar 11, 2007
Let bombs explode, cause that's what they do

Yoozer posted:

This. Soon.

god i can't wait

Buying the 6Ds was pretty much the stupidest thing I've ever done. I don't know who fell asleep at QC but the speaker I sent back to be fixed is still dead and to add insult to injury, its green LED has died, too.

gently caress.

That is pretty pathetic when your quality is so poor that your LED's go out, I thought those lasted almost indefinitely.

Engine Fortegue
Feb 1, 2004

strap me down they must sedate me

poke me prod me irritate me

Handen posted:

Should I get a Roland G-707?

Or an Ovation Viper?

Or this Jaguar?

I want a midi guitar so I can use it as a controller for a mic hooked up to a vocoder, hence the G-707, but I don't even know if that's possible. Or the Viper because they're badass and I'll never find a GP for a decent price, or the Jaguar because they're my favourite guitars of all time. I already have two Jaguars though, and it might be time for a change.

Specifically I was thinking the G-707 so I can use it like DFA1979 used their midi keyboards through a vocoder to change their voice in songs from their EP, or the way Daft Punk sings "Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger" near the end of the song. Anybody know about this? Or am I gonna have to experiment with it myself?

Help goons. :saddowns:

If you don't get the roland I'm going to kill you in your sleep

Lobster Johnson
Sep 23, 2004

3toes posted:

Now, or before I purchased all of that? :cry:

It actually wasn't all that expensive. The 3 ebay purchases saved something like $1600 on retail, which is probably the only reason I packed so much into this buy-up. In total, it's approaching $4k AUS - which was my budget - and that's nothing for decent music equipment here. My Les Paul cost 4.5k just under 10 years ago and that's been the most I've spent on gear in the last decade.

please validate my unwise spending guys i need support while eating ramen for the next year pls ok :cry:

Mugendai
Oct 23, 2002

You realize, of
course, that that
will not kill him

Lobster Johnson posted:

Now, or before I purchased all of that? :cry:

It actually wasn't all that expensive. The 3 ebay purchases saved something like $1600 on retail, which is probably the only reason I packed so much into this buy-up. In total, it's approaching $4k AUS - which was my budget - and that's nothing for decent music equipment here. My Les Paul cost 4.5k just under 10 years ago and that's been the most I've spent on gear in the last decade.

please validate my unwise spending guys i need support while eating ramen for the next year pls ok :cry:

The HOG and the moog thing look really cool. Do you have any recordings of them in action?

Edit: oh crap, after checking out moog's page on that pedal I am so doomed to buy one. That thing is awesome

Mugendai fucked around with this message at 07:49 on Apr 5, 2007

Lobster Johnson
Sep 23, 2004

Mugendai posted:

The HOG and the moog thing look really cool. Do you have any recordings of them in action?

Edit: oh crap, after checking out moog's page on that pedal I am so doomed to buy one. That thing is awesome

http://www.gearwire.com/electro-harmonix-hog.html
and
http://www.gearwire.com/search/node/moogerfooger

Warning: the gearwire moogerfooger videos may cause spontaneous wallet combustion. I just ordered the FreqBox today as well. Time cut up that drat credit card :(

iamlark
Feb 24, 2007
huh?

Yoozer posted:

This. Soon.

god i can't wait

gently caress.

i'm thinking that i should have waited and gone with the A7s.... but it would have taken forever to find the money for them. i was also wanting the 828 as well, but went with the 002 for compatibility with the machines at school.

this is my setup (in my old room)

all of the gear is new since sept. whee
(it wasn't really as messy as it seemed)

Engine Fortegue
Feb 1, 2004

iamlark posted:

i'm thinking that i should have waited and gone with the A7s.... but it would have taken forever to find the money for them. i was also wanting the 828 as well, but went with the 002 for compatibility with the machines at school.

Is that "Ferrets For Dummies" on the shelf? :psyduck:

fried eggs
Apr 4, 2007
with ketchup
71 vibrochamp... Not technically new, I got it about 6 months ago, but I just got it serviced, re-capped and retubed, sounds great especially living in an apartment. Put this little bastard on about 7 and it screams with out pissing off my neighbors (too much)

an AOL chatroom
Oct 3, 2002

fried eggs posted:

71 vibrochamp

That... is awesome.

I got a BYOC Rat clone yesterday. I'm going to paint it brown and call it The Dirty Sanchez.

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

bisticles posted:

That... is awesome.

I got a BYOC Rat clone yesterday. I'm going to paint it brown and call it The Dirty Sanchez.

....is this based on a DIY kit from generalguitargadgets.com?

an AOL chatroom
Oct 3, 2002

Handen posted:

....is this based on a DIY kit from generalguitargadgets.com?

Probably very similar. It's from buildyourownclone.com, although I bought it from someone used for much less.

iamlark
Feb 24, 2007
huh?

Engine Fortegue posted:

Is that "Ferrets For Dummies" on the shelf? :psyduck:

yeah...... it's actually a pretty good reference book for ferret ailments.

not pictured are "trigonometry for dummies, and soup for dummies"

belikeron
Mar 11, 2007
Let bombs explode, cause that's what they do

iamlark posted:

Haha nice, it looks like you have $10,000 worth of musical equipment stacked on top of a $15 30 years old TV. Is that where you store your extra amp tubes? :awesome:

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

Synthesizers.com Q118 Instrument Interface:

Basically takes an input from an uhh, instrument, and err, amplifies it. The neat part comes in in the gate signal. Once the input amplitude is above the threshold setting (set by the uhh, threshold knob), the gate opens (output goes to +5v), and when the signal goes below threshold, the gate goes back to +0v. Trigger fires a quick +5v pulse when the gate opens.

So yah, you can use this to run your microphone or guitar or electric violin or whathave you through your Synthesizers.com modular synthesizer, which is basically what I plan to do with it.

Sixfools
Aug 27, 2005

You be the Moon,
I'll be the Earth
And when we burst
Start over, oh, darling

Found this in my grandparents crawlspace the other day. It's pretty decent, I think I'm going to use it as a back up amp.

(yes I am aware my room looks 'kiddy' I'm moving out in a couple weeks)

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

Today is a good day to save.

Sweet jesus, that thing looks so cool. How does it sound?

Lobster Johnson
Sep 23, 2004

So I palmed off my SG. One '98 black SG Special + a little cash =

A '97 Les Paul Gem, from the short run of P90 equipped LP Studios finished after various gemstone colours. A little bit of an ugly duckling - what you can't really see in the photo is the dark translucent green finish, which is a bit so-so against the gold hardware and off-white plastics - but it plays and sounds really, really nice.

Sixfools
Aug 27, 2005

You be the Moon,
I'll be the Earth
And when we burst
Start over, oh, darling

Noise Machine posted:

Sweet jesus, that thing looks so cool. How does it sound?

It's pretty awesome for a solid state and it's LOUD. All the info I've been able to get on it was from a vintage guitar gear guide with not a whole lot. It's a Gretsch brand.

Has built in Tremolo with speed and intensity knobs, and Reverb, 2x12, 50 watts (That's where the 750 comes from apparently), Treble boosts for each channel. No gain or overdrive though, so I need to get myself a distortion pedal.. All around it was a pretty awesome find considering it was free

iamlark
Feb 24, 2007
huh?

belikeron posted:

Haha nice, it looks like you have $10,000 worth of musical equipment stacked on top of a $15 30 years old TV. Is that where you store your extra amp tubes? :awesome:

:ssh: (they have the best sound)

hah, i love that tv. it's older than i am and still works as good as when i got it (like 1992)

FlossMan
Oct 19, 2005

No, I can't. Too much hair.
I scored a brand-new Epi Valve Junior for $90. Pictures coming soon, after I'm done drooling over how amazing this amp sounds.

:fap:

Also... new locking tuners for Chester.

FlossMan fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Apr 10, 2007

Engine Fortegue
Feb 1, 2004

Lobster Johnson posted:

So I palmed off my SG. One '98 black SG Special + a little cash =

A '97 Les Paul Gem, from the short run of P90 equipped LP Studios finished after various gemstone colours. A little bit of an ugly duckling - what you can't really see in the photo is the dark translucent green finish, which is a bit so-so against the gold hardware and off-white plastics - but it plays and sounds really, really nice.

This is a perfect example of good looking gold hardware. How do those P90's sound?

Painkiller
Jan 30, 2005

You think the truth will set you free...
So I went to the guitar store today and tried out one of the Ibanez Artcore Custom's and OH GOD :fap:

It's sounds as good as it looks, it's got this great clean sound and the fretboard is like playing on butter. And the sustain is like watching a cricket match, it goes on forever!

Definantly going to buy it.

Lobster Johnson
Sep 23, 2004

Engine Fortegue posted:

This is a perfect example of good looking gold hardware. How do those P90's sound?

Not so sold on the gold hardware myself. The the lower 3 saddle screws on the bridge are corroded to hell and won't budge in the slightest (thank :psyduck: the intonation was perfect even though I raised the action) so it may end up chrome when I swap them out. Although much close up photography, photoshopping and feverish indecision will come between now and then.

The soapbars sound like pure awesome. They really are the halfway point between single coils and humbuckers and that's the only way I can think to describe them without blithering on about warmth and overtones and depth and clarity and :bravo2:

I'm trying to get used to the noise though - I haven't played anything with 60 cycle hum for almost a decade. Some homework on google/harmony-central/gearpage etc gives me way too many mixed opinions regarding the various stacked and noiseless soapbars sold by SD, Dimarzio et al. I'll probably just get used to flicking to the middle selection, which cancels out the noise humbucker-style, as a kill switch.

Uncle Caveman
Jun 16, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Lobster Johnson posted:

:dong:Gear Orgy:dong:
Speaking of noise, how's the HOG? I love my POG, but the thing hisses like some kind of... hiss... factory.

Electro-Harmonix :(:fh:

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Painkiller posted:

So I went to the guitar store today and tried out one of the Ibanez Artcore Custom's and OH GOD :fap:

It's sounds as good as it looks, it's got this great clean sound and the fretboard is like playing on butter. And the sustain is like watching a cricket match, it goes on forever!

Definantly going to buy it.

Nice! I haven't seen an AWD Custom before. Our lead plays an AWD83T but I think maybe he needs a new backup :)

How much was it going for if you don't mind me asking?

Painkiller
Jan 30, 2005

You think the truth will set you free...

3toes posted:

Nice! I haven't seen an AWD Custom before. Our lead plays an AWD83T but I think maybe he needs a new backup :)

How much was it going for if you don't mind me asking?

They said $1000 Sing, which is about $660 US.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beeble
Apr 27, 2004

BEEBLE 09.JUL.14

The glory of the many demands more TECH SUPPORT. I FEEL GLORIOUS!
Sorry about the lovely camera. My new Agile Al-2800

This is a rondomusic "B Stock", by the way. The b stock damage on this guitar is a scuff no worse than the screen on a lightly used iPod, I didn't even notice until I held it up to a lightbulb. Definitely not enough to justify a 140$ discount from the 310$ price tag, but Kurt is pretty awesome like that.

I was a strat guy before but I think I may have fallen in love.