Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Engine Fortegue
Feb 1, 2004

strap me down they must sedate me

poke me prod me irritate me

Buying-Bid posted:

Sorry about the lovely camera. My new Agile Al-2800

This is a rondomusic "B Stock", by the way. The b stock damage on this guitar is a scuff no worse than the screen on a lightly used iPod, I didn't even notice until I held it up to a lightbulb. Definitely not enough to justify a 140$ discount from the 310$ price tag, but Kurt is pretty awesome like that.

I was a strat guy before but I think I may have fallen in love.

That's loving gorgeous

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lobster Johnson
Sep 23, 2004

jealous of the flies and the worms inside me

Uncle Caveman posted:

Speaking of noise, how's the HOG? I love my POG, but the thing hisses like some kind of... hiss... factory.

Electro-Harmonix :(:fh:

I haven't played it at a really high volume but so far it's been ok - moreso with humbuckers rather than the soapbars. It also has an envelope filter that, if set to a fast attack, can be used to gate off whatever hiss it makes. What a crazy pedal, though - it rumbles, squeals, wahs and sounds goddamn huge when you get the organ effect going. The standout feature is the "freeze-gliss" though, which is either controlled by the middle footswitch or by an expression pedal - it holds whatever note or chord you play, swells the volume a touch and fades it out veeeeerrrry slowly. Very organ-like. I'm currently using it as an input into the murf: freeze a chord, turn on murf, play murf like an unpredictable rhythm instrument.

In fact I'm so over the moon about the murf that I might re-list the microsynth and jamman on ebay to fund a couple of the other moogerfoogers.

Buying-Bid posted:

Sorry about the lovely camera. My new Agile Al-2800

This is a rondomusic "B Stock", by the way. The b stock damage on this guitar is a scuff no worse than the screen on a lightly used iPod, I didn't even notice until I held it up to a lightbulb. Definitely not enough to justify a 140$ discount from the 310$ price tag, but Kurt is pretty awesome like that.

I was a strat guy before but I think I may have fallen in love.

That is stunning. How does it play?

beeble
Apr 27, 2004

BEEBLE 09.JUL.14

The glory of the many demands more TECH SUPPORT. I FEEL GLORIOUS!

Lobster Johnson posted:

That is stunning. How does it play?

very, very well. it came surprisingly well setup, it intonates a bit flat at the moment but not badly. the neck is very fast and i absolutely love the sound.

an AOL chatroom
Oct 3, 2002

bisticles posted:

That... is awesome.

I got a BYOC Rat clone yesterday. I'm going to paint it brown and call it The Dirty Sanchez.

Thought I'd post a follow up. Here it is after a couple of coats of Krylon brown primer. I sprayed it and then let it bake on my charcoal grill in the back yard.

As for sound, I'm really digging it at low distortion levels just to add a little bit of dirt to the sound. Works really well for some Rolling Stones type stuff.

Kekkoslovakia
Dec 21, 2004

by mons all madden

toadee posted:

Synthesizers.com Q118 Instrument Interface:

Basically takes an input from an uhh, instrument, and err, amplifies it. The neat part comes in in the gate signal. Once the input amplitude is above the threshold setting (set by the uhh, threshold knob), the gate opens (output goes to +5v), and when the signal goes below threshold, the gate goes back to +0v. Trigger fires a quick +5v pulse when the gate opens.

So yah, you can use this to run your microphone or guitar or electric violin or whathave you through your Synthesizers.com modular synthesizer, which is basically what I plan to do with it.

How much did this thing set you back?

I'm getting a custom modular built for me (a pic of the first panel is probably a couple of pages back now), and the second panel of it is still in planning stages. I've been thinking an instrument interface might be a nice addition since I've already got a Kenton Pro-2 heading my way to handle the MIDI side.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

oh god no what have i done what have i done :gonk:

mofolotopo
May 10, 2004

TICK STAMPEDE!!!!

Yoozer posted:

oh god no what have i done what have i done :gonk:

OH man, I just wanna rub that thing all over my naked body. I don't even know what it sounds like, but it looks so freaking awesome.

DaFuente
Nov 23, 2003

puppeh
Just picked this up off Ebay for 200 bucks!

It's a 70s Global, a Teisco brand I believe ^_^

I think it was built out of a coffee table

DaFuente fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Apr 11, 2007

JohnnySmitch
Oct 20, 2004

Don't touch me there - Noone has that right.

DaFuente posted:

That's pretty swank looking - and the gigantic neck pickup kinda scares me a bit, which I'm pretty sure adds to the cool factor.

Walter
Jul 3, 2003

We think they're great. In a grand, mystical, neopolitical sense, these guys have a real message in their music. They don't, however, have neat names like me and Bono.
Finally finished, shipped, and received. This is the mandolin that I started this entire thread because of, back in November or December.

5-string electric, Kent Armstrong humbuckers, push-pull pot for coil-tapping.

I just plugged in and played Larry Carlton's Kid Charlemagne solo (one of my favorites ever) and this thing is awesome. Nice clean, warm tone when not overdriven (something that's hard to achieve with an electric mandolin), and good and dirty when I put it through my SD-1.

It's the one on the right. The middle is my other e-mando, and the guitar on the left is for scale.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.

Walter posted:

Finally finished, shipped, and received.

That looks absolutely incredible.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

My Keystation 88 Pro just got here, and it's a little bit bigger than I was expecting:

(That's a queen sized bed)

It's so bloody heavy :gonk:

And to top it off the stand I got for it didn't come with the bolts to put it together, so for now it's going to have to chill on the bed because I've got nowhere else to put it :(

Walter
Jul 3, 2003

We think they're great. In a grand, mystical, neopolitical sense, these guys have a real message in their music. They don't, however, have neat names like me and Bono.

warwick5s posted:

That looks absolutely incredible.

Thanks! I'm pretty psyched about it. I was a little hesitant about the gold hardware, but I think it ended up working out pretty well.

The action on it is sick. I was just doing Eruption a little while ago, and it's amazingly responsive. Can't wait to get it onstage.

FFT posted:

My Keystation 88 Pro just got here, and it's a little bit bigger than I was expecting:

(That's a queen sized bed)

It's so bloody heavy :gonk:

And to top it off the stand I got for it didn't come with the bolts to put it together, so for now it's going to have to chill on the bed because I've got nowhere else to put it :(

Is that a new piece of equipment (in the sense of, made recently)? I thought they were building fairly lightweight (but sturdy, high-quality) 88-key synths these days.

Either way, that thing looks like a loving boat anchor. A cool boat anchor, but I wouldn't want to be you, lugging it around.

Jonas01
Jan 10, 2005

I'm carrying the wheel.
Delivered fresh from eBay on Monday: my USA-made Reverend Slingshot Custom, a discontinued model. In fact, all the USA Reverends are discontinued and they're now made in Korea. The Korean guitars are still actually really good, but the construction is totally different. The Americans (like mine below) had phenolic laminate tops and backs, and plastic edges. The inside is mostly a big slab of white mahogany. It probably seems really strange, but when you sit down and play it, the entire instrument vibrates and resonates like crazy.

I named her April. :gay:

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

Smoothing the Ice on Europa since 1997!

Walter posted:

Finally finished, shipped, and received. This is the mandolin that I started this entire thread because of, back in November or December.

I just plugged in and played Larry Carlton's Kid Charlemagne solo (one of my favorites ever) and this thing is awesome. Nice clean, warm tone when not overdriven (something that's hard to achieve with an electric mandolin), and good and dirty when I put it through my SD-1.

It's the one on the right. The middle is my other e-mando, and the guitar on the left is for scale.

Just FYI, I'm going to murder you in your sleep and steal those. I loves me some electric mandolins.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

Walter posted:

Is that a new piece of equipment (in the sense of, made recently)? I thought they were building fairly lightweight (but sturdy, high-quality) 88-key synths these days.

Either way, that thing looks like a loving boat anchor. A cool boat anchor, but I wouldn't want to be you, lugging it around.
It's just a midi controller with a fuckload of controls, actually. Keystations don't have any synth capabilities. Which just makes its weight weirder, really. It's got a great key action, though.

mofolotopo
May 10, 2004

TICK STAMPEDE!!!!

FFT posted:

It's just a midi controller with a fuckload of controls, actually. Keystations don't have any synth capabilities. Which just makes its weight weirder, really. It's got a great key action, though.

I think the two are related - my sense has always been that having a good weighted keyboard usually implies that the unit is pretty drat heavy.

Craiglen
Sep 2, 2006

Walter posted:

I've been waiting so long to see this. Well done man :)

Engine Fortegue
Feb 1, 2004

strap me down they must sedate me

poke me prod me irritate me

FFT posted:

Maybe it's full of drugs and you weren't supposed to get this specific one?

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

The bottom is made out of some sort of particle board.

But it is supposed to be ~50 lbs

Sixfools
Aug 27, 2005

You be the Moon,
I'll be the Earth
And when we burst
Start over, oh, darling

Walter posted:

Okay, so Captain Beefheart says Mandolins attract Wendy, (Acoustic Guitars attract Casper)what do Electric mandolins attract?

for reference: http://www.beefheart.com/datharp/10com.htm

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

HumanSpeedBump posted:

How much did this thing set you back?

I'm getting a custom modular built for me (a pic of the first panel is probably a couple of pages back now), and the second panel of it is still in planning stages. I've been thinking an instrument interface might be a nice addition since I've already got a Kenton Pro-2 heading my way to handle the MIDI side.

It was $102.00 shipped from Synthesizers.com directly.

It just arrived the other day, and I have been very pleased, it takes a bit to get to know the threshold setting and what you have plugged into it, but so far with a friend's bass guitar and my micorphone it's been a blast to mess around with. Also works well as a mic preamp, Ive hooked it into my Nord Mico Modular to do vocoder shenanigans. Nothing like calling up your friends in Google Talk with your mic run through a 16-band Vocoder. "Hey whats up Chris, this is Optimus Prime!"

The Rocket Salad
Sep 1, 2004

lol what

DaFuente posted:

Hey buddy :)

I like Teiscos. That humbucker in the bridge is pretty funky. I had a Teisco Jazz Bass knock-off, but originally with two of those humbuckers. When the one in the bridge died, I put the one from the neck down there and ruined the pickguard fitting in a P-Bass pickup set.

Then someone stole it :(

Chows
Apr 13, 2002

This is a fairly new acquisition, an American Deluxe Stratocaster in a color that I think might be Desert Sand. Not really sure, but it's gorgeous. The Samarium Cobalt Noiseless pickups are unbelievably quiet and the series switching gives some nice tonal flexibility.

And a very new purchase on not so new guitar:

An EMG DG20 (David Gilmour) pickup system dropped in a Chrome Blue American Standard Stratocaster. The pickups are very bright and crisp without being harsh, and the preamp controls (midrange boost, high/low bost) do some nice things to the sound.

I've also got a Valve Junior extension cabinet on order to go with my Valve Junior head. That'll turn up whenever Epiphone decides to start shipping units.

Walter
Jul 3, 2003

FFT posted:

Weighted keys, I presume?

drat, I wish I knew how to play keys. One of my big regrets...

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

Walter posted:

Weighted keys, I presume?

Very much so. It feels like a real piano :D

Lobster Johnson
Sep 23, 2004

jealous of the flies and the worms inside me

So much evil in such a little box.

Uncle Caveman
Jun 16, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Lobster Johnson posted:

FUUUUUUUCK
Why do you do this to us?

Why do you have such great taste in gear and the means to buy it all? Why can't you blow ten grand on lovely gear to make us all can feel better about ourselves instead of posting a collection that rivals God's own orgasm?

:unsmith::gizz::awesome:

Boner Slam
May 9, 2005

Walter posted:

I am not sure if you know what you use this kind of keyboard for.
You want to simulate the key action of a real piano with weight, graded action, response from the "string" and everything.

Synths often have really cheap and sucky keyboard keys. It's fine for playing an accord at a time, but not piano.

ptah
Apr 12, 2002

radiohead sucks

beeble
Apr 27, 2004

BEEBLE 09.JUL.14

The glory of the many demands more TECH SUPPORT. I FEEL GLORIOUS!

ptah posted:

vg strat

Awesome! Those things look so cool. How do the synthesized guitar settings sound? Almost organic???

I love how natural that strat looks for a semi-modeling guitar, compared to say a Variax.

beeble fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Apr 13, 2007

Mr JinX
Jul 10, 2001

Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger
I built this from an epi valve special combo

ptah
Apr 12, 2002

radiohead sucks

Buying-Bid posted:

Awesome! Those things look so cool. How do the synthesized guitar settings sound? Almost organic???

I love how natural that strat looks for a semi-modeling guitar, compared to say a Variax.

I'm recording clips for pushy chows in a little bit, as soon as I get some recording software installed. I think it sounds loving awesome.

ptah fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Apr 14, 2007

himajinga
Mar 19, 2003

Und wenn du lange in einen Schuh blickst, blickt der Schuh auch in dich hinein.

:rock:EMG 81:rock: The pickup I've been lusting after forever, finally got around to buying it. Sounds like sex.

himajinga fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Apr 13, 2007

trout!!
Mar 3, 2004

Finally, I have a nice guitar!

Taylor 310

JohnnySmitch
Oct 20, 2004

Don't touch me there - Noone has that right.

killingthebest posted:

Finally, I have a nice guitar!

Taylor 310

I've wanted one of those for years - maybe if I ever get the promotions I've been working for, I'll buy one to reward myself.

Walter
Jul 3, 2003

Boner Slam posted:

I am not sure if you know what you use this kind of keyboard for.
You want to simulate the key action of a real piano with weight, graded action, response from the "string" and everything.

Synths often have really cheap and sucky keyboard keys. It's fine for playing an accord at a time, but not piano.

No, I know that the good synths/keyboards these days are intended to mimic in every way the response of the keys of a real piano. My post was intended to show interest and enthusiasm, not to express a lack of knowledge or contradict the poster. Go back and read it again.

FFT mentioned that it was "so bloody heavy," to which I agreed that it looked that way. I also assumed (as I mentioned farther down) that it was set up with weighted keys and the like.

And, uh, what else would I think this keyboard would be used for but, you know, playing piano/keyboard parts? I wasn't under the impression that it was intended as a keytar, if that's what you're getting at.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

Walter posted:

And, uh, what else would I think this keyboard would be used for but, you know, playing piano/keyboard parts? I wasn't under the impression that it was intended as a keytar, if that's what you're getting at.

Oh god just imagining that :cry:

It's pretty handy for doodling directly into and along with stuff I'm working on though :)

Pirateparty
Apr 12, 2007

Scurvy
Whenever I am able to afford one of these I'd like to get an Ibanez IC400:

But first I'll need to shell out for a decent bass amp for the band I'm in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlossMan
Oct 19, 2005

No, I can't. Too much hair.

ptah posted:

You, sir, are a jerk.

oh god post some clips please sir