Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Socket Ryanist
Aug 30, 2004

The only really bad part of Oakland is the southeast area, closest to san leandro and the airport. West oakland isn't that great either, but if you live there you're not really in that much danger of being mugged.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

What's a good source for shows and events in Berkeley? For that matter, is anything fun going on tonight?

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Twinxor posted:

What's a good source for shows and events in Berkeley? For that matter, is anything fun going on tonight?

Pick up a copy of the East Bay Express it should have listings for just about everything and you can find it (it's free) in newspaper boxes all over that area.

Afro Thunder
Sep 4, 2003

Makin blunts disappear like Im houdini

Socket Ryanist posted:

The only really bad part of Oakland is the southeast area, closest to san leandro and the airport. West oakland isn't that great either, but if you live there you're not really in that much danger of being mugged.

The best part of Oakland is 3100, that street is really safe.

Rod Munch
Jul 17, 2001

Can someone please turn off the stink eminating from the fire in Redwood City? I can taste the metal in the air in Mountain View.

The Monarch
Jul 8, 2006

I've got a few general questions:

One, if I want to go as a foreigner for school (I am Canadian), how difficult is the process for getting a student visa?

Two, What good film schools are there? I know this is California and if I want to go into film I should go to LA, but I would much rather live in San Fransisco or the general Bay Area.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

The Monarch posted:

One, if I want to go as a foreigner for school (I am Canadian), how difficult is the process for getting a student visa?

Two, What good film schools are there? I know this is California and if I want to go into film I should go to LA, but I would much rather live in San Fransisco or the general Bay Area.

Kinda depends on what you wanna do. Do you wanna do film or do you wanna watch film. If the latter than go to Berkeley like I did (though there is a small DIY thing going on). I can't vouch for SF State so you'll have to ask around.

Does anyone know where I can get a decent Belgian waffle around here. I'm in San Jose and sometimes hang out in the East Bay and occasionally SF. Not that generic poo poo IHOP is trying to pass off

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

The Monarch posted:

The bad news is that there are very few colleges in San Francisco.

The good news is that SF State has (or had) a reputation of having a good film program.

There are a couple art schools in SF that are kind of meh. If you want San Francisco and film it just has to be SFSU. Your other two options for college in the city are USF for business/law or UCSF for medical stuff, but UCSF is pretty much a graduate school.

So how can I convince my friend who's been living here since September that he's not going to get stabbed if he walks near golden gate park?

Swivel Master
Oct 10, 2004

Floating in much the same way that bricks don't.

Heran Bago posted:

The good news is that SF State has (or had) a reputation of having a good film program.

There are a couple art schools in SF that are kind of meh. If you want San Francisco and film it just has to be SFSU. Your other two options for college in the city are USF for business/law or UCSF for medical stuff, but UCSF is pretty much a graduate school.

So how can I convince my friend who's been living here since September that he's not going to get stabbed if he walks near golden gate park?

I went to the SF State film program. It's good or bad depending on how much effort you put into it. Unfortunately it generally only starts when you're a junior (or a really determined sophmore)... the system is pretty crappy but there are some great teachers and it's a good chance to meet people and stuff. It's probably the best all around education for film you'll get outside of USC and UCLA for the price (since USC and any other major film school is also private and expensive), and of course you get a degree from a four-year university and not Academy of Art or something.

To respond to the second issue, stab him while he's somewhere else. You know, to give him some perspective.

PM me if you have questions about SFSU's film program or stabbing people.

Zoccoli
Feb 12, 2004

Everything that stands will be at odds with its neighbor, and everything that falls will perish without grace

Heran Bago posted:

I've lived very close to the park for a month now without getting stabbed, therefore nobody ever gets stabbed there. :pseudo:

EllisD
Mar 14, 2004

WHAT IS THIS BULLSHIT!?

Heran Bago posted:

:confused::confused:

The Art Institute of California - San Francisco
Keller Graduate School of Management
California Culinary Academy
Professional Culinary Institute
Bauman College: Holistic Nutrition and Culinary Arts
California College of the Arts
Golden Gate University
Heald College - San Francisco
Lincoln University
New College of California
Presidio World College
San Francisco State University
University of California - San Francisco
University of San Francisco
University of the Pacific
City College of San Francisco
comedy Devry/Uni of Phoenix

This post will be three times as long if I include colleges within 45 minutes of city borders. The bay area is an academic epicenter. Whatchoo talkin' 'bout foo?

Swivel Master
Oct 10, 2004

quote:

The Art Institute of California - San Francisco - Private art school
California College of the Arts - I have no idea
Heald College - San Francisco - Private vocational/technical school
Presidio World College - What?
University of California - San Francisco - Grad-only medical school
University of San Francisco - Private Jesuit university
City College of San Francisco - JC
comedy Devry/Uni of Phoenix - LOL

Most of these are not useful for most people.

Tacier
Jul 22, 2003

EllisD posted:

University of the Pacific
It's only their dental program that's in SF. The real school is in Stockton.

EllisD
Mar 14, 2004

WHAT IS THIS BULLSHIT!?

Swivel Master posted:

Most of these are not useful for most people.

Well jesus what do you want, a city with 20 4-year schools? If you can't find an education here you probably never had one to begin with, but there's also plenty of awesome to decent schools within a reasonable distance. Stanford and Berkeley for example. I know a couple people with really good jobs in the city that drive the 90 minutes to UC Davis.

A quick aside, CCSF is useful for anyone with a brain. Finish the honors program with a 3.0 and you're pretty much a guaranteed transfer to anywhere in California except Caltech/Stanford unless you have 3.6+

HanabaL03
Nov 12, 2003

We're spread, we're spread, we're spreading our.... wings! :v:
I currently live and go to school in Reno (UNR) and am making a trip with my girlfriend to San Fran on May 9th for the Mets/Giants game. The game starts at 12:35, and I am leaving for the Bay early that morning. It is dead day (study day for finals, gently caress finals) and I want to see my Mets play. What is there to do around the park after the game? I'll have a car and am curious as to what is close, mainly food and something fun to do after the game. Thanks.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

HanabaL03 posted:

I currently live and go to school in Reno (UNR) and am making a trip with my girlfriend to San Fran on May 9th for the Mets/Giants game. The game starts at 12:35, and I am leaving for the Bay early that morning. It is dead day (study day for finals, gently caress finals) and I want to see my Mets play. What is there to do around the park after the game? I'll have a car and am curious as to what is close, mainly food and something fun to do after the game. Thanks.

Right around there there isn't much but if you walk along the bay to the ferry building there's lots of tasty things to eat there [and the new downtown Pancho Villa next door]. Don't try to drive right after a baseball game, it will only lead to anger and tears. Or if you walk up 4th street to Market there's lots of stuff in the Union Square area.

If you do stay down by the ballpark splurge on a Wagyu burger at the Brickhouse on Brannan street.

Swivel Master
Oct 10, 2004

EllisD posted:

Well jesus what do you want, a city with 20 4-year schools?

I just meant that your list in response to someone saying there aren't very many colleges around was technically correct but that a lot of them serve very specific purposes... no one person has THAT many options.

I know this is a great area to get an education :)

Outside SF, there's UC Berkeley, Cal State East Bay, UC Santa Cruz, CSU Monterey, and, Sonoma State - all the public four-year schools. Plus there are a ton of community colleges, including Diablo Valley, College of Marin, and Santa Rosa JC (the last two are number two and number one CC's in the state, respectively).

Then of course there's Stanford.

The Duck Is Back!
Sep 19, 2005
HOW I MINE FOR FISH??

Swivel Master posted:

Stanford attendee option #1: Be a rich, annoying frat boy with sleazy blondes you purchased hanging over your arm. Be universally loathed by all non-rich, non-annoying, non-frat boys (save sleazy blondes who are easily bought and their brunette friends).

Stanford attendee option #1: Graduate college $150,000 in debt.

nosml
Jan 14, 2003

Swivel Master posted:

Outside SF, there's UC Berkeley, Cal State East Bay, UC Santa Cruz, CSU Monterey, and, Sonoma State - all the public four-year schools. Plus there are a ton of community colleges, including Diablo Valley, College of Marin, and Santa Rosa JC (the last two are number two and number one CC's in the state, respectively).

There's also Santa Clara University, but then again I'm bias ;).

EllisD
Mar 14, 2004

WHAT IS THIS BULLSHIT!?

The Duck Is Back! posted:

Stanford attendee option #1: Be a rich, annoying frat boy with sleazy blondes you purchased hanging over your arm. Be universally loathed by all non-rich, non-annoying, non-frat boys (save sleazy blondes who are easily bought and their brunette friends).

Stanford attendee option #1: Graduate college $150,000 in debt.

Good job having no idea what you're talking about. Anyone whose parents make less than $40K/year attend absolutely free. Fat scholarships for those with parents evading the six figure range too. No, Stanford does not graduate jobless students engulfed in debt. It prioritizes them in the grad school pool and any remaining school debt becomes trivial.

I know a lot of people who went to Stanford and none of them complain about their financial situation, because it doesn't matter.

Stanford is a very good school and most of the students are respectable, it isn't crawling with rich obnoxious frat boys. Worst stereotype ever, I'd like to know where it came from.

ArmyGroup303
Apr 10, 2004

If this were real life, I would have piloted this helicopter with you still in it.

nosml posted:

There's also Santa Clara University, but then again I'm bias ;).

My friend went there for a year before bookin.' How do you like it there?

The Duck Is Back!
Sep 19, 2005
HOW I MINE FOR FISH??

EllisD posted:

Good job having no idea what you're talking about. Anyone whose parents make less than $40K/year attend absolutely free. Fat scholarships for those with parents evading the six figure range too. No, Stanford does not graduate jobless students engulfed in debt. It prioritizes them in the grad school pool and any remaining school debt becomes trivial.

I know a lot of people who went to Stanford and none of them complain about their financial situation, because it doesn't matter.

Stanford is a very good school and most of the students are respectable, it isn't crawling with rich obnoxious frat boys. Worst stereotype ever, I'd like to know where it came from.

It came from spending thirteen years living a quarter-mile away from Stanford University, seeing the students and the wannabe students. And then I went to Cal. :pseudo:

Stanford's an excellent university, but in my experience the grad students tend to be really cool people and the undergrads tend to be typecast. They're the ones you'll find at Miyage in groups of 15 doing sake bombs with zero regard for the other customers, they're the ones that you can recognize instantly from their uniforms of tshirts/sweatshirts, shorts, and flip-flips in any weather whatsoever, including pouring rain and hail. Obviously, there will be just as much variation within the Stanford student body as there will be at any other non-themed university, but trying to deny that it's got a certain slant strikes me as overly-defensive. You can just as easily typecast the average Cal student as either a psycho-Asian pre-med or a politically active ultraliberal indie kid, and you'll be just as accurate because that DOES describe most of the student body.

I sadly have a friend who is attending Stanford and his parents simply can't afford it, yet mysteriously isn't receiving this free ride you speak of. His older sister, also a Stanford student, was lucky enough to get an athletic scholarship. But he'll be deep in the hole from student loans when he graduates. Other non-rich friends, classmates, and acquaintances to attend Stanford will be facing similar plights to varying degrees.

Victor Nightingale
May 11, 2005

I've just accepted a job working in Palo Alto, about a block from the Caltrain station (on University) at a tech company.

We're looking into a 3 bedroom somewhere either in south SF or maybe a little bit into the city but still near mass transit (my work will reimburse caltrain fees :awesome: ) We've made lists of places to check out when we are there, but I'm not sure what we should have prepared in advance to give to the landlord/property owners to actually accept any of the houses.

So far I can guess that we need:
1) Proof of work
2) Credit report (I've got one so far, the other two are on the way)

What else should I expect to bring, and should my housemates need when we're finally ready to rent a place. All I've heard is that the renting market is a madhouse and that it's incredibly competitive so I want to be as prepared in advance as possible.

Victor Nightingale fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Jun 15, 2013

EllisD
Mar 14, 2004

WHAT IS THIS BULLSHIT!?

I sadly have a friend who is attending Stanford and his parents simply can't afford it, yet mysteriously isn't receiving this free ride you speak of. His older sister, also a Stanford student, was lucky enough to get an athletic scholarship. But he'll be deep in the hole from student loans when he graduates. Other non-rich friends, classmates, and acquaintances to attend Stanford will be facing similar plights to varying degrees.

Well I don't know how much money their parents' make, but just because you make $80-90K/year doesn't mean you can afford your children's education. Everyone with an income of less than $40K/year does attend for free though, I'm under the impression there are no exceptions.

The Duck Is Back!
Sep 19, 2005
HOW I MINE FOR FISH??

EllisD posted:

Well I don't know how much money their parents' make, but just because you make $80-90K/year doesn't mean you can afford your children's education. Everyone with an income of less than $40K/year does attend for free though, I'm under the impression there are no exceptions.

There you go, then. Someone's parents only make $60k a year, they can barely afford their mortgage, the kid graduates $150k in debt from loans. My described situation is not, as you implied, impossible.

Cry For More Fish
Mar 21, 2003

Then I lost to a guy and it changed my life. I swore I would never lose to a guy in a wheelchair again

Twinxor posted:

funcheapsf.com
laughingsquid.com/squidlist

Debbie Metallica
Jun 7, 2001

the kid graduates $150k in debt from loans

Do many people end up with that much in loans when they're out here?

It almost makes me feel better about the frightening loan amount I'll be starting to slowly chip away at after I graduate next month.

ArmyGroup303
Apr 10, 2004

If this were real life, I would have piloted this helicopter with you still in it.

Ozma posted:

Do many people end up with that much in loans when they're out here?

It almost makes me feel better about the frightening loan amount I'll be starting to slowly chip away at after I graduate next month.

Yep, espically if you're going for an MD or a master's from a private university.

Yessod
Mar 21, 2007

EllisD posted:

In my case, it came from going to Berkeley, then moving to Mountain View. All I need to do to confirm the stereotype is go out to dinner in downtown Palo Alto! Pretty much guaranteed there will be vast crowds of obnoxious spoiled over-sheltered tanned bleach-blondes in baseball caps.

There'll also be drat good food, so c'est la vie.

EllisD
Mar 14, 2004

WHAT IS THIS BULLSHIT!?

ArmyGroup303 posted:

Yep, espically if you're going for an MD or a master's from a private university.

Many of the students at the UCSF dental school two blocks from my house are probably around $200K in debt just from the dental school, but there is the whole 'worthwhile investment' part of getting your MD.

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.
I've never understood why people will go to a college that will leave them 200k in debt when they could go to another one and be 50k in debt (max). I guess it makes sense for the really top tier schools, but something like the UCSF dental school? Why not go to a dental school that is 25% as much? Especially with cost of living factored in. I know in North Carolina you can get 4 years of education including living cheap and come out less than 50k in debt if you just work like 15 hours a week, and that is with no scholarship, and that includes living expenses. I know NC public schools are below average cost wise, but it blows my mind people are willing to go to a private school (especially non top tier ones) and graduate with 200k of debt when they could go to a public one that is just as good as any non top tier school and leave with 50k in debt.

Anyways, my question I came to ask. I applied for a job where the office is in the financial district but I have to drive round to various places for engagements with my own car. How much would having your own car add to your cost of living if you want to live in the actual city of San Francisco? Assume gas is paid for. I mean just to park it all over. I'm assuming 200 a month, is this close to accurate?

For what its worth I was planning on living without a car if I got a job in the financial district and walking, using public transportation, or riding my bike to work/the store/the gym/everywhere. Speaking of, how practical would a bike commute be from some place downtown to the financial district be. It looks like it would be 1-1.5 miles on average depending exactly where I live/work. Assume physical demands are nothing considering I last rode my bike all over the place in the mountains.

Ribsauce fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Apr 12, 2007

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Cry For More Fish posted:

funcheapsf.com
laughingsquid.com/squidlist

These are full of good stuff, thanks :)

ArmyGroup303
Apr 10, 2004

Ribsauce posted:

Anyways, my question I came to ask. I applied for a job where the office is in the financial district but I have to drive round to various places for engagements with my own car. How much would having your own car add to your cost of living if you want to live in the actual city of San Francisco? Assume gas is paid for. I mean just to park it all over. I'm assuming 200 a month, is this close to accurate?

Financial District parking is typically $20-30 a day, but you might luck out and find one for $10 a day. Parking costs a lot in the city, and this assume you can find parking at peak hours. If you can walk or bike or (shudder) take MUNI for personal stuff, do it. See if you can't expense parking too, because that stuff hurts.

A fellow co-worker acutally is paying a neighbor $100 a month just to park his car in her garage.

EllisD
Mar 14, 2004

WHAT IS THIS BULLSHIT!?

Ribsauce posted:

I've never understood why people will go to a college that will leave them 200k in debt when they could go to another one and be 50k in debt (max).

Because the school is so prestigious that having the name UCSF on your diploma will prioritize you for a job that will pay off your debt in under 5 years. UCSF MDs are, to say the least, vouchers for a 6 figure salary.

EllisD fucked around with this message at 09:02 on Apr 12, 2007

TrueClash
Dec 22, 2003
I put cocaine in a little girl's rubber ducky

EllisD posted:

Well jesus what do you want, a city with 20 4-year schools?

They have that. It's called Boston.

Most major four year universities tend to be outside of city limits simply because of the cost of land.

Debbie Metallica
Jun 7, 2001

Mmmm I love waiting 45 minutes for the 22. :D

I'm going to just blame it on the T-line even though it should have nothing to do with the fact that all the 22s were on just one side of the line earlier tonight.

loving TRAINS

Blooot
Mar 19, 2001

ArmyGroup303 posted:

Financial District parking is typically $20-30 a day, but you might luck out and find one for $10 a day. Parking costs a lot in the city, and this assume you can find parking at peak hours. If you can walk or bike or (shudder) take MUNI for personal stuff, do it. See if you can't expense parking too, because that stuff hurts.

A fellow co-worker acutally is paying a neighbor $100 a month just to park his car in her garage.

I pay $300 a month for two spots under my building at 25th and Pennsylvania. A single spot in downtown runs around the same per month.

'Sup bay area people...

Sabacc
Jul 8, 2002

Ozma posted:

I'm going to just blame it on the T-line even though it should have nothing to do with the fact that all the 22s were on just one side of the line earlier tonight.

loving TRAINS

I don't get it. They Beta tested the line for weeks -- hell, I rode it all the way down and back one boring Saturday afternoon! Then they go and pull all this wackiness...

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
For anyone that likes anime, the SF International Film Festival is having a single showing of "Paprika" on May 2nd, tickets are on sale now.

http://fest07.sffs.org/films/film_details.php?id=80

Youtube trailer:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fcUyB8hl8ro

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

Ozma posted:

loving TRAINS

The T line is loving ghetto. Sometimes I have to catch it instead of the J and today some very young mother was changing her baby's diaper on the train. Then her boyfriend took the dirty diaper and threw it onto the train floor. This was after they got into a confrontation with 2 old dudes. I also enjoy all the gangsters and their icy "look me in the eyes and you're gunna get stabbed" stares.

Papercut posted:

For anyone that likes anime, the SF International Film Festival is having a single showing of "Paprika" on May 2nd, tickets are on sale now.

http://fest07.sffs.org/films/film_details.php?id=80

Youtube trailer:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fcUyB8hl8ro

Oh this looks cool. I might have to go.

• Locked thread