Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

Les soldats se trouvent dans la vérité.

Backdoor Blanche posted:

edit: sorry if I came off angry here. I just used to really, really like KoDT and it just got so lovely once they came out with Hackmaster, it really pisses me off.

I used to like KoDT quite a bit as well. I stopped buying it when the comic ended up being more about uninteresting character drama (Will Crutch ever escape his life of crime? Will Bob ever manage to make peace with his father? etc) rather than jokes about RPGs. The fact that the magazine was stuffed with articles about Hackmaster, a game system I had no interest in, certainly didn't help maintain my interest in it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free

Gassire posted:

They didn't make up their up system though. They bought the rights to 2nd edition added a couple house rules and slapped a Hackmaster sticker on it. That was part of the joke. Hackmaster really is what they were playing.
1st ed, actually! :eng101:

Efreet saiid
Jan 29, 2006

by Lowtax

Lurdiak posted:

Normally I wouldn't do this sort of thing but I know he'll be back if he gets banned, and I've been wanting an avatar for a long time now.
Still waiting that PM.

Gassire posted:

It gave sanctuary to the bitter old fat guy with a thick beard and did nothing but bitch about 3rd edition at the back of the comic/hobby store. I think each store by gamer law is required to have one.
To be fair there are a few products in that niche. The thing that annoys me about hackmaster is that an actual satire game of fantasy tropes or D&D could be a lot of fun, instead it was just lovely 'irony' or geek-camp or something on top of another dnd wannabe.

A lot of the problem with KOTD is just typical webcomic BS, the descent into 'drama', overly long plots that don't go anywhere interesting, ect. It was never that good to beging with, but it sure did get a lot worse.

I was a bit concerned about OOTS going somewhere similar back when they had all the dating scenes and so on, it didn't get that bad but it was still great to see things get back on track.

Ununnilium
Oct 23, 2006

An imperfect duplicate of love

High Altitude Hair Stylist posted:

I think I once gave Sean Howard of "A Modest Destiny" an aneurysm on his message board. Of course, everyone who disagreed with him on his message board gave him an aneurysm.

He's pretty anyeuristic. I pretty much stopped reading the comic when the blog rants below became nothing but bitching about other people in webcomics.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Ununnilium posted:

He's pretty anyeuristic. I pretty much stopped reading the comic when the blog rants below became nothing but bitching about other people in webcomics.

Honestly, I like the comic, but isn't the creator also the guy who swore Penny Arcade was out to get him or some poo poo?

LuchadoresDelNixon
Feb 7, 2007

Moonbase Alpha provides a realistic simulation of life on a natural satellite
:siren: New comic is up :siren:

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0437.html

I'm afraid our Death Knight might not live long enough to be more than a one-line joke. Jeez, first they kill off Boba Fett for a burp gag, now gravity pranks. :black101:

LuchadoresDelNixon fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Apr 10, 2007

The Werle
Aug 8, 2005

Fireworks for Christmas is absolutely American
Yeah, but check that Greater Cleave out...

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

This Mr. Burlew really knows how to paint a scene.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
Big 3E ups for the "AOO" sound effect in the last panel.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

These last few comics really represent how far his art has come. Sure, the characters look nearly the same as in the early comics, but he's learned so much about perspective and placement, and pacing, and making frames seem less monotonous... seriously, check out the first few comics and compare them to this recent storyline. It's like worlds apart.

Also for the record, HappyElf has kept his promise and PMed me and I'm just waiting for someone to make me an avatar worth using, so don't Toxxban him.

LuchadoresDelNixon
Feb 7, 2007

Moonbase Alpha provides a realistic simulation of life on a natural satellite

Lurdiak posted:

These last few comics really represent how far his art has come. Sure, the characters look nearly the same as in the early comics, but he's learned so much about perspective and placement, and pacing, and making frames seem less monotonous... seriously, check out the first few comics and compare them to this recent storyline. It's like worlds apart.

Also for the record, HappyElf has kept his promise and PMed me and I'm just waiting for someone to make me an avatar worth using, so don't Toxxban him.

I'd like to thank both of you for staying civil in the face of possible derailment/gassing!

I :love: BSS.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Lurdiak posted:

I'm just waiting for someone to make me an avatar worth using

May I recommend this?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

bgaesop
Nov 1, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post

FMguru posted:

Big 3E ups for the "AOO" sound effect in the last panel.

I came here to post that! I love how detailed this comic is.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe

Factor_VIII posted:

I used to like KoDT quite a bit as well. I stopped buying it when the comic ended up being more about uninteresting character drama (Will Crutch ever escape his life of crime? Will Bob ever manage to make peace with his father? etc) rather than jokes about RPGs. The fact that the magazine was stuffed with articles about Hackmaster, a game system I had no interest in, certainly didn't help maintain my interest in it.

Similar here, but my peeve was more that he started writing as if we gave a poo poo about the fantasy world the guys played in (see: excessively long entries in Brian's diary about some poo poo in the jungle, poo poo about gnomes). I jumped ship before the character drama ramped up and I'm grateful for it. It fell so far.

So, doods, we need a new thread for 1 kilopost or is this thing good to go for eternity?

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Schwarzwald posted:

May I recommend this?

I had to scroll back up to check the comic, but those motion lines look like a butt and a dong. I was wondering why that horse was being raped and possibly farted upon.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Soonmot posted:

I had to scroll back up to check the comic, but those motion lines look like a butt and a dong. I was wondering why that horse was being raped and possibly farted upon.

Those arn't motion lines, those are the horse's legs and tail.

Now I can see the dick, too. :mad:

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Thanks, now I can't see anything but the dick. They were horses legs till I read this thread, drat it.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Gyges posted:

Thanks, now I can't see anything but the dick. They were horses legs till I read this thread, drat it.

Oh my god, that's loving hilarious.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Oh, they were legs! Guess that's one of the hazards of using stick art. Sometimes horse's legs just look like a dong and a butt.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Soonmot posted:

Oh, they were legs! Guess that's one of the hazards of using stick art. Sometimes horse's legs just look like a dong and a butt.

And after I made that comment about his art improving, too... I look the fool now.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Lurdiak posted:

And after I made that comment about his art improving, too... I look the fool now.

Well, I think it was just seeing it cropped down, because in the full panel of the comic, I didn't notice anything weird. Even when it was posted here. It wasn't until the death knight was cropped that I noticed the... irregularity.

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

Literature is not exhaustible, for the sufficient and simple reason that no single book is. A book is not an isolated being: it is a relationship, an axis of innumerable relationships.
This Death Knight most definitely has the voice of Murray the Skull from Curse of Monkey Island.

MathFreak
Feb 24, 2002
e^(i*Pi)=-1

Heresiarch posted:

This Death Knight most definitely has the voice of Murray the Skull from Curse of Monkey Island.

Holy moley, that's perfect! Good to see he got a body worthy of his greatness. Now he can actually stride through the gates of Hell.

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

Les soldats se trouvent dans la vérité.

JohnnyCanuck posted:

1st ed, actually! :eng101:

According to what I it said in the back of one of the books it's a combination of 1st and 2nd edition AD&D as well as some new stuff. I had a look through the Player's Handbook and it seemed like AD&D but with a bunch of extra overcomplicated and counter-intuitive rules. It's neither funny to read and its rule system is both bad and a slightly altered version of a widely available older game so I don't think it works either as a humor book or as an RPG.

SuperKlaus posted:

So, doods, we need a new thread for 1 kilopost or is this thing good to go for eternity?

Statring a new thread will interrupt the flow of the discussion and since large threads no longer strain the servers I see no reason no reason close this thread.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
Alright then, I will suppress my sudden temptation to create The Order of the Stick: All About Boners. Would probably attract the wrong crowd, but it's all I can see in that picture now too dammit! drat FedEx penis!

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Rolled a 1 on the random encounter table, didn't you?

SuperKlaus posted:

Similar here, but my peeve was more that he started writing as if we gave a poo poo about the fantasy world the guys played in (see: excessively long entries in Brian's diary about some poo poo in the jungle, poo poo about gnomes). I jumped ship before the character drama ramped up and I'm grateful for it. It fell so far.

Actually, those diary entries moved the plot along and I thought they were interesting if not amusing. However, I do see some of the same problems in KODT that I do in some webcomics, particularly the romance angle (Bob and his girlfriend and Dave and whats her face).

However, I still think it's entertaining. They've really got the old school Gygaxian school of gaming down to a pat and I always find GM sadism inflicted on hack and slash rules lawyers funny. For example, the whole story arc of two uber magical swords basically dominating the players and waging war on one another was pretty demented.

Of course I'm biased. I've written for them several times and just got a GM's workshop article in #125. :v:

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
I've been published in KoDT twice. :cool:

I tend to agree with the general thrust of the conversation, though; the strip is great when it's about gaming and gamers, and falls right on its rear end the moment it tries to do romance/family/other plots.

Shavnir
Apr 5, 2005

A MAN'S DREAM CAN NEVER DIE
Is KoDT still set in Muncie?

I swear everything about Muncie is stereotypical, down to the basement game store with leaky pipes above it and bad lighting.

As for Order of the Stick its getting pretty :awesome: . I think I'll preorder that new Black and White book too.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Wanderer posted:

I've been published in KoDT twice. :cool:

I tend to agree with the general thrust of the conversation, though; the strip is great when it's about gaming and gamers, and falls right on its rear end the moment it tries to do romance/family/other plots.

Exception being the times when Bob has tried to get his family to game. Like when he was babysitting his nephew and niece and made them play Dawg the RPG, or when his dad agreed to play that wild west game(cattlehack?).

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
Oh man I just got and read No Cure for the Paladin Blues, in which Rich Burlew writes about the possibility of an "Origin of Xykon" book, and now it's advertised on GiantITP's front page! I am totally preordering this.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
On it like white on rice. Goddamn I might have to splurge and finally buy that Xykon avatar I been thinking about.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
:siren: NEW STRIP IS UP! :siren:

Man this strip is pretty :3:

Jon
Nov 30, 2004

Fuego Fish posted:

Mostly the 7th and 8th panels, specifically. I don't know how perspective so well with 2-D figures.

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

I AM NOT BEING PAID TO CORRECT OTHER PEOPLE'S POSTS! DONKEY!!

Fuego Fish posted:

Elaaaaaaaan's in trouuuuuuuuuuuble!

On a tangentially related point, Erfworld - did you realize that "Parson Gotti" is an anagram of "Protagonist"?

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

High Altitude Hair Stylist posted:

Mostly the 7th and 8th panels, specifically. I don't know how perspective so well with 2-D figures.
Yeah. I came to post that the eighth panel - the perspective shot with Haley waving at the end of the battlements - is astonishingly well-rendered. Again I ask: how can someone make such good art with freaking stick figures?

(Answer: He's very talented and has a superb technical drawing education, according to the Sequential Tart interview.)

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
No dongs, but this strip still brought a big goofy smile to my face. Yeah, that perspective shot is amazing.

Rose wood
Apr 4, 2006

You're a superstar!
I was just looking at that perspective panel after everyone praised it, and something seemed off about it... It took me a few seconds to realise, but shouldn't the battlements be on Elan's left?

Oh god I'm picking up continuity errors in a webcomic. Can't... get... clean... :gonk:

Edit: VVV Oh yes, it's still a great panel, really great perspective and everything, giving a context for the individual characters in the whole battle. There's nothing wrong with the panel itself at all :)

Rose wood fucked around with this message at 12:40 on Apr 12, 2007

Efreet saiid
Jan 29, 2006

by Lowtax
Still, that is a great panel. It's a pretty funny idea, and it ties the whole strip back into the battle and changes the perspective when the rest of the panels are uniform. It works really well.

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

Literature is not exhaustible, for the sufficient and simple reason that no single book is. A book is not an isolated being: it is a relationship, an axis of innumerable relationships.
elan do you like me pick one

yes [] no []

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Lower those eyebrows, young man. And the other one.
elan do you like me pick one

yes [X] no []

This really is total filler but it's just too awesome not to include.