Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Won't the whole party get Quest XP for defending the city, though?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

Lurdiak posted:

Won't the whole party get Quest XP for defending the city, though?

Ultimately, yeah. Were this a proper game, they'd probably get little bits of XP along the way and once the battle is resolved, a good chunk more for having completed the chapter (at least that's how I would structure it). But yeah, since this is the thrust of the entire campaign, everyone's getting XP at the end.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Ununnilium posted:

The problem is, of course, when you get people who disagree on what "common sense" means, either out of of honest confusion or out of trying to game the system. (See early Magic: The Gathering for more of this.)
Yeah. To be clear, I acutally tried to _implement_ that "hole full of toads" plan once.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
NEW

STRIP

IS

:siren: UP
:siren:

And oh boy was it worth the wait.

Gally
May 31, 2001

Come on!
Oh no, poor V! I'm actually worried for the little guy. Girl. Elf. Thing.

TJO
Aug 14, 2006

I had a funny feeling in my gut.
Bearded Paladin! You were favourite Paladin that wasn't Hinjo or Miko! But I'm not worried, V is a badass. She'll find a way to stop that thing.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
It's not showing for me, goddammit.

EDIT: 'ere we are!
Now we know Burlew will leave us hanging for a week or two, showing us what's up with the borefests that are Elan and Haley's situation.

Calaveron fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Apr 17, 2007

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

Calaveron posted:

It's not showing for me, goddammit.
Same here. Looks like the site's getting hammered.

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

Les soldats se trouvent dans la vérité.
I never get tired of the joke concerning the ever-present familiar. It's so true to the game. :)

DaveWoo posted:

Same here. Looks like the site's getting hammered.

It took a while for it to load for me as well. I've uploaded it on waffleimages in case the problem persists.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
I do hope everyone here knows better than to give an undead the chance to surrender.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.

SuperKlaus posted:

I do hope everyone here knows better than to give an undead the chance to surrender.

Don't ask me, I've never met an Undead. :rimshot:

That said, V is cool and I hope she doesn't get eviscerated or whatever. :smith:

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Rolled a 1 on the random encounter table, didn't you?
Not liking asking him to surrender would have made much of a difference. Even if they just attacked, the level 0 warriors couldn't have gotten past his DR or AC and the general didn't look tough enough to drop him with an extra round of attacking. More likely, in game terms, it was the death knight's initiative and the general couldn't have acted anyway.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Well paladins sort of have to ask anyway, don't they?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
I like Erfworld a lot better now that they have "bonus Thursdays" that explain the plot so the characters don't have to.

Doug Lombardi
Jan 18, 2005

Lurdiak posted:

He probably isn't a paladin, since he didn't try to use his gimped Turn Undead.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.

Halloween Jack posted:

I like Erfworld a lot better now that they have "bonus Thursdays" that explain the plot so the characters don't have to.

I see those as the comic just admitting that it's pretty much incoherent on its own terms.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Rincewind posted:

I see those as the comic just admitting that it's pretty much incoherent on its own terms.

Yea, it's like someone explaining all their jokes to you. If you need that, then hey, stop telling jokes. A comic should stand on it's own, without someone there to explain exactly what the hell is going on.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

Taear posted:

Yea, it's like someone explaining all their jokes to you. If you need that, then hey, stop telling jokes. A comic should stand on it's own, without someone there to explain exactly what the hell is going on.

Exactly! Don't get me wrong, I love world-building, and I love long, encyclopedic treatises on fictional settings, but these shouldn't be necessary to understand what the hell is going on.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe

Lurdiak posted:

It's dead. "Always Evil" alignment, like a demon or something. Only a brain-dead paladin stops to tell outsiders and undead to surrender. I like the idea that anything with sentience could conceivably be redeemed but this is D&D and quite a lot of creatures are Evil, Period. That bearded guy deserved what he got.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
But asking something to surrender is a free action.

Gassire
Dec 30, 2004

"They're people. Deeply flawed, yes, but deeply human too. And maybe that's saying the same thing."

SuperKlaus posted:

It's dead. "Always Evil" alignment, like a demon or something. Only a brain-dead paladin stops to tell outsiders and undead to surrender. I like the idea that anything with sentience could conceivably be redeemed but this is D&D and quite a lot of creatures are Evil, Period. That bearded guy deserved what he got.

I would, it's a Deathknight which means at one time he was a paladin himself. He would deserve a chance at redemption.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

Gassire posted:

I would, it's a Deathknight which means at one time he was a paladin himself. He would deserve a chance at redemption.

Yeah, once you're dead and have been reanimated, redemtion is really not in the cards for you.

ZorbaTHut
May 5, 2005

wake me when the world is saved
Anyone know what's so horribly wrong with their server? I'd check their forums, but the server is so slow I can't get there.

Idran
Jan 13, 2005
Grimey Drawer

rantmo posted:

Yeah, once you're dead and have been reanimated, redemtion is really not in the cards for you.

Tell that to Lord Soth.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
I haven't read from the beginning up to date. I started when this thread started, and I've also read to the when they first defeat Xykon. What I want to know though is where did all this "V has indeterminate gender" thing begin?

gothfae
Mar 28, 2004

There seems no plan because it is all plan. There seems no center because it is all center.

Panty_HaX0r posted:

I haven't read from the beginning up to date. I started when this thread started, and I've also read to the when they first defeat Xykon. What I want to know though is where did all this "V has indeterminate gender" thing begin?

Before the comics you see on the site. Before the transition to 3.5 which 'begins' the stuff you see. It's V's running gag. "Before" in that there are strips, in print only, in both collections and that have appeared in Dragon that, from their clothing, are previous to 3.5 (lack of chain shirts, etc). Whether they were drawn chronologically before or after I have no idea. But whenever the subject of gender has been brought up, it's always been a joke. Though in "No Cure for the Paladin Blues", Rich discusses V using "him", he has commented that it's easier to do that rather than type "him/her" every time and that this should not be taken as a hint. V's gender, or lack thereof, is even mention in the OOTS FAQ.

You know though, I don't think he's ever mentioned what Belkar's chosen enemies were. I tend to forget he's a ranger.

gothfae fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Apr 19, 2007

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

gothfae posted:

You know though, I don't think he's ever mentioned what Belkar's chosen enemies were. I tend to forget he's a ranger.

It seems to be pretty much Humanoids to me. :v:

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

Potsticker posted:

It seems to be pretty much Humanoids to me. :v:

I'd say "You" was more fitting.

Noonsaliwah
Sep 5, 2006
Shizne

gothfae posted:

Presumably Kobolds are one of them. He should have another 2 I think, but I'm not great with the rules.

I think V's gender thing was only started when Burlow found out nobody was sure, and he just went for it. I think this early comic was supposed to be the "it's a guy" one, but when Burlow found out people were still confused, he just went with it? Although that comic does come after the one where she's commenting on the lime green shoes...

Vomax
Oct 12, 2005

?
:siren: NEW STRIP IS UP :siren:

Funny, but a teensy bit anticlimactic. v:)v

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

Literature is not exhaustible, for the sufficient and simple reason that no single book is. A book is not an isolated being: it is a relationship, an axis of innumerable relationships.
SHFLCCKT is an excellent sound effect.

BioTech
Feb 5, 2007
...drinking myself to sleep again...

Kind of....lame

And I don't know a lot about D&D, but in order to control a creature, it has to be able to move on it's own, right? With the head cut off, the creature cannot give commands to it's body, and Xykon commands what commands the dragon gave to it's own body, not how each arm, leg or wing moved, or am I wrong?

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Haha, that was awesome. Also, a zombie's brain doesn't command it's body. You could theoretically chop it to all sorts of bits, but as long as it had an HP left it would still be moving. Undead and constructs are immune to critical hits and called shots, in general.

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

How exactly do hitpoints/damage work for undead in D&D? Just chop them up until there's nothing capable of crawling around? I understand the concept of being immune to criticals and whatnot, but my entire experience with the system is the Baldur's Gate video games, where they just had generic hitpoint pools, and have no idea if you need to do something special to completely get rid of them.

Also, let me breath a sigh of relief for V. Anti-climatic, yes, but this is still a humor comic, after all.

BioTech
Feb 5, 2007
...drinking myself to sleep again...

greatn posted:

Haha, that was awesome. Also, a zombie's brain doesn't command it's body. You could theoretically chop it to all sorts of bits, but as long as it had an HP left it would still be moving. Undead and constructs are immune to critical hits and called shots, in general.

Thanks for clearing that up, I don't play a lot of D&D so this "technical stuff" confuses me.

So I guess you should say D&D Zombies are magical, because doing this to a real zombie would kill them.

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

Literature is not exhaustible, for the sufficient and simple reason that no single book is. A book is not an isolated being: it is a relationship, an axis of innumerable relationships.

BioTech posted:

So I guess you should say D&D Zombies are magical, because doing this to a real zombie would kill them.

There's so much wrong with this sentence that I'm not sure exactly where to start.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Quick, someone match up the average HP of a death knight with the increased velocity D6 damage of a falling dragon head so we can figure out how high they're fighting!

It'll be totally math!

Nobby
Sep 10, 2006

Everyone cries when they're stabbed. There's no shame in that.
I love well implemented dramatic irony!

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Lurdiak posted:

Quick, someone match up the average HP of a death knight with the increased velocity D6 damage of a falling dragon head so we can figure out how high they're fighting!

It'll be totally math!

I'll assume a d10 hit die(since it used to be a paladin, or are those d8?), and 12th level. I'll assume a 14 constitution, because why not. So, 85 hp just for a nice number.

I think falling damage is just a base d6 per ten feet, the same for dropping something on you damage. So at an average of three they would be about 280 or 290 feet up, but could be as low as 140-150 feet, or in the worst case scenario, 850 feet up. It could of course, be much higher and be tons of overkill. This isn't taking damage reduction into account.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
I wouldn't think that something falling on you has a base damage like that. I mean, there's no accounting for size or weight whatsoever. That'd make a bucket falling from a second storey window do as much damage as a Goddamn house from the same height.