Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ScreaminKing
Feb 26, 2002

I was punched in the face. What's your excuse?

Uncle Caveman posted:

Thanks! I really love the Antiquities - really fat and plunky sounding, like a cross between a P-90 and a Rickenbacker. However, the cover is what holds the pickup in place - otherwise, it's just sitting on a piece of foam. There might be enough room at the edges to drill small holes for small mounting screws, but remember that the bobbin on vintage-style JM pickups is often just really stiff cardboard covered in wax.

For what you're describing, I'd rather paint the covers themselves: wipe down with naptha or paint thinner to remove any oil, spray w/ Krylon designed for plastics, repeat a dozen or two coats, then clearcoat.

I wouldn't want to drill holes in it anyways, I was just wondering how exactly the pickups mounted. If I ever wanted to do that in the future I could just do a little spraypainting.

I spoke to this guy at one of the big guitar stores here in Toronto, and he said that they stopped selling Duncans because the Canadian distributors were overpriced. He said it's cheaper even with all the customs crap just to buy them online. I also looked into Novak's and they're about the same price as the Antiquity's. I think I may have just changed my mind.....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drazzy
Oct 5, 2003

If I had $20 right now, I'd probably put it towards one of my many bills that I have yet to pay.
My replacement neck finally came. No more playing my Ibanez when I want to play some SRV or Pink Floyd. Woo! Should be fun, though. Gotta drill mounting holes for the tuners and on the hell of the neck. Oh well, should be fine.

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

Uncle Caveman posted:

Thanks! I really love the Antiquities - really fat and plunky sounding, like a cross between a P-90 and a Rickenbacker. However, the cover is what holds the pickup in place - otherwise, it's just sitting on a piece of foam. There might be enough room at the edges to drill small holes for small mounting screws, but remember that the bobbin on vintage-style JM pickups is often just really stiff cardboard covered in wax.

For what you're describing, I'd rather paint the covers themselves: wipe down with naptha or paint thinner to remove any oil, spray w/ Krylon designed for plastics, repeat a dozen or two coats, then clearcoat.

Guitarpartsresource.com sells black JM pickup covers.

Uncle Caveman
Jun 16, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.
I thought about those when I was working on mine, since the earliest JM picture I've seen (in some Fender book showing an old catalog) was of a sunburst w/ aluminum guard and black pickup covers. I decided to keep the white CIJ ones and tint them with amber clearcoat instead.

Though, SK was looking at a black guard w/ silvery covers...

edit - the old catalog with the then-new Jazzmaster:

Uncle Caveman fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Apr 22, 2007

Candleshire
Dec 16, 2003

weird beard laffo
I got a new toy in the mail

:D

PenguinBob
Oct 12, 2000

Hooray leftover financial aid! I'll be paying off Stafford loans until I'm 30 but by God I'll be enjoying myself in the meantime!

FBz
Mar 8, 2004
FatboYgw got me this account for my birthday!
I just bought these guys last weekend (excuse horrid cam-phone picture)

Dual Super Lead + 1960 Cab. I use it with a Boss GT8 using the 4 cable method. They sound lovely.

Can't wait to crank it up at next band practise as anything over volume 2 tends to shake the walls and make my children cry. :rock:

MrKriceMC
Feb 5, 2007

Mackie Onyx Satellite. Definitely need a new audio interface and this seems like one of the better deals out there. $200 for the base station and satellite (for mobile applications) plus you get the full version of Tracktion 2, which from what I've read from the reviews is a well-designed recording program. I've been using Audition for recording and love the depth of the wave editing, but the program isn't entirely user-friendly and still sadly does not support MIDI. Anybody that can make a comparison between the 2 programs?

That metal dude
Mar 7, 2007

I call out to the beasts of the sea! To come forth and join us! This night is yours!

FBz posted:

I just bought these guys last weekend (excuse horrid cam-phone picture)

Dual Super Lead + 1960 Cab. I use it with a Boss GT8 using the 4 cable method. They sound lovely.

Can't wait to crank it up at next band practise as anything over volume 2 tends to shake the walls and make my children cry. :rock:

NICE! I plan on getting a DSL sometime in the future.

sobeczech
Dec 24, 2006
I finally got a real overdrive pedal. Ibanez TS-9, I'm very happy with it.

Bees
Mar 26, 2007

Hooray for the boom mic stand. It's not terribly exciting, but it's kind of exciting. I haven't even really used it, but I keep playing with it -just, like, putting the mic in front of my face while I sit here, testing it out with my guitar. I think I'm gonna have to start experimenting with vocals on tracks now. Really though, I'm just excited that I can use two hands when recording percussion samples. That thing can aim a mic anywhere!

I'm way too excited.

HolaMundo
Apr 22, 2004
uragay

sponge would own me in soccer :(
After playing for a couple of months with my acoustic and my brother's lovely strat clone I bought this JS-910.
Can't really tell the color from the pic, it's dark red.

an AOL chatroom
Oct 3, 2002

If buying wood, velcro, adhesive spray and stain counts, then I bought a pedalboard :)

LivestockSucks
Sep 28, 2005
Been waiting to post in this thread :D. Just got this baby on saturday and I've probably played it for 20 hours thus far. If you couldn't tell it's an American stratocaster.

Cynicide
Jun 13, 2002

Born from a wish

bisticles posted:

If buying wood, velcro, adhesive spray and stain counts, then I bought a pedalboard :)

That looks cool!

RocketTurtle
Mar 26, 2007
i bought myself one of these:

I cannot emphasize how fast this thing plays. It's the Geddy Lee model, complete with the tapered down neck...so...fast.

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

RocketTurtle posted:

i bought myself one of these:

I cannot emphasize how fast this thing plays. It's the Geddy Lee model, complete with the tapered down neck...so...fast.

My friend has one of these. It's awesome.

Jimix
Jun 20, 2001

Lobster Johnson posted:

eBay purchase #2: EHX Hog & Hog Foot pedal!

sup hog buddy :cool:

This thing is pretty ridiculous! Also my pedal board is filthy :(

This is my guitar that I have posted about 800 times in ML, but I replaced the bridge and totally redid the electronics. Each knob does coil tap for a pickup, 3-way is a regular pickup selector, one mini switch is phase and the other is a kill switch.

new bridge for my strat too, with some locking tuners to go with. stays in tune, even doing whammy bombs and the like

I wish I had a picture of a mesa 50/50 to go with, but the package hasn't come yet :(

Avatarspeakers.com 1x12 with a celestion alnico gold.

If anybody wants to join this thread, you can buy my old amp, a mesa boogie mark IV. I'm eventually planning on going stereo, hence the studio pre and 50/50. As soon as I can afford another alnico gold cab that is...

Merciless Face Puncher
Sep 11, 2005
I am the dog.

M-Audio Prokeys 88, I finally found a used one within my price range. Some guy is selling one on craigslist and I got him down to $315. I'm excited. Although I would love to hear if any goons recommend against this thing. I don't play piano (yet) so is this a mistake?

Lobster Johnson
Sep 23, 2004

jealous of the flies and the worms inside me

Jimix posted:

sup hog buddy :cool:

:rock:

Did you get the foot controller? If not, consider adding it to your wishlist, especially if you gig. Lets you save 6 presets to their own stomp switches :coal:

For the sake of someone who missed your 800 posts, tell us about your guitar - looks like a warmoth?

C.C.C.P.
Aug 26, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post

As you can see, I finally got some effects pedals after owning a crappy DigiTech multi effects pedal.

I do have a question, though: I heard there's a certain order in which you should chain them together. What is it? I also have a tuner, which I have first in the chain right now.

ScreaminKing
Feb 26, 2002

I was punched in the face. What's your excuse?

nigga plz posted:

As you can see, I finally got some effects pedals after owning a crappy DigiTech multi effects pedal.

I do have a question, though: I heard there's a certain order in which you should chain them together. What is it? I also have a tuner, which I have first in the chain right now.

You should probably switch the chorus and the delay, the tuner should be first (hooked into your guitar).

There's no real set way to do things, but generally delay and reverb should come last.

Occupy Japan
Feb 4, 2005

I've spent so much time clopping to fillies that my joints have locked up!

nigga plz posted:

There's no real specific order. Just keep your tuner at the front of the chain, so that the effects don't gently caress with tuning in any way.

If you had a noise gate, I'd also suggest putting that at the end of your chain, but barring that, I'd just suggest doing whatever sounds good, because chorusing your guitar's dry signal and then reverbing it is going to sound slightly different than reverbing a dry signal and then chorusing it, etc.

Uncle Caveman
Jun 16, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.
I'd keep the noise gate right after whichever is the noisiest part of your chain - putting it at the very end will clip off your reverb and delay trails if it's set too high.

Occupy Japan
Feb 4, 2005

I've spent so much time clopping to fillies that my joints have locked up!

Uncle Caveman posted:

I'd keep the noise gate right after whichever is the noisiest part of your chain - putting it at the very end will clip off your reverb and delay trails if it's set too high.

Oh poo poo, yeah, I didn't take that into account. I'd definitely put the gate after whatever distortion/overdrive pedal you have, though, as that is generally the noisiest, I've come to find.

juan chaos
Sep 3, 2006
Let It Die
Also keep in mind that your DD-6 and RV-5 are both stereo pedals. I forget what about the DD-6 makes it stereo, but I think it's capable of ping-pong delays or panning? If you can somehow utilize that, then put the Chorus before the Delay and run your rig in stereo.

ProdigalSon
Sep 15, 2003

Candleshire posted:

I got a new toy in the mail

:D

What's your opinion of it so far? I saw a short clip of it on youtube recently, looks pretty cool. How's the crossfader? I'm interested in reading whatever you feel like writing about it, basically.

PenguinBob
Oct 12, 2000

Rode NT1000. It will be at my local GC in about a week. I also got the shockmount to go with it, along with a boom and a pop filter. It will be used to record my voice and my upright. Bitchin'.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

nigga plz posted:

I'd keep everything where it is really, chorusing your delay or delaying your chorus doesnt really make a difference. I prefer the former.

What do you all think of Telecasters?

I was thinking of making this my next guitar although it seems like EVERYONE these days is using a standard tele. I'd be putting a Tone Zone in the bridge too because although I love the Tele neck sound the tele bridge sound has been ruined for me by going down the local venues and seeing the 1000th lovely dancey-jangly-retro-indie band. I want to rock with my tele.

Merkin Muffley
Aug 1, 2006
The Ballsiest
Oh why hello there Mr. Crybaby...

Wah and volume in one pedal, I can't wait to get my grubby little mits on this thing to screw around with it for hours seeing what kind of sounds I can make.

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

Merkin Muffley posted:

Oh why hello there Mr. Crybaby...

Wah and volume in one pedal, I can't wait to get my grubby little mits on this thing to screw around with it for hours seeing what kind of sounds I can make.

My uncle found one of these in his closet from 1971 (although made by Jen Electronica in Italy) and he gave it to me straight up if I could fix the scratchy pot. So I took it all apart, took the pot apart, cleaned the post and soldered it all back together again. It's a sweet pedal. Enjoy. :D

IdentityVoid
Mar 30, 2003

The colonel is breakdancing!
I just ordered one of these:

And I'm thinking about getting one of these for my pod XT sometime soon:

Merkin Muffley
Aug 1, 2006
The Ballsiest

Handen posted:

My uncle found one of these in his closet from 1971 (although made by Jen Electronica in Italy) and he gave it to me straight up if I could fix the scratchy pot. So I took it all apart, took the pot apart, cleaned the post and soldered it all back together again. It's a sweet pedal. Enjoy. :D

Ha, actually your post in the wah-wah thread is what gave me the idea to get the Mr. Crybaby instead of the vanilla cry-baby, so thanks!

pimpology 101
Aug 6, 2006
Pimpin' ain't easy.

IdentityVoid posted:

And I'm thinking about getting one of these for my pod XT sometime soon:

Does anyone know how good those Atomic amps are?

IdentityVoid
Mar 30, 2003

The colonel is breakdancing!

pimpology 101 posted:

Does anyone know how good those Atomic amps are?

There are quite a few reviews over on harmony central, and there are a few reviews actually on atomic's site. Most of them seem to be very positive. If I end up getting it, I'll definitely post up my thoughts in the Instrument/Gear Review thread. It seems like the best solution for my needs, since I want to actually have an actual amp for my pod, instead of just listening through headphones or my el cheapo crate amp.

Fistboy
Oct 24, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
A Marshall AVT20X combo amp and a stand to display all my guitars. I needed a smaller amp since my other two aren't very popular with the neighbors. Plus a shameless plug for the rest of my gear. I posted the TSL 100, 1960A, and the JP Musicman earlier in this thread.

reversefungi
Nov 27, 2003

Master of the high hat!
I should be getting one of these two soon enough, I just need to decide on which one! :)

Schecter C-1 Hellraiser:

ESP LTD V-500:

Edit: I've heard some bad things about LTD. Can anyone clarify the issue and tell me if it is worth worrying about?

reversefungi fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Apr 29, 2007

Admiral Crunch
Nov 26, 2005

by Peatpot
I've never used the LTD, but I've played that schecter before, and it was really nice.

I'm planning on getting a 12 string electric, and I can't decide which one's best. I'm probably getting the Schecter TSH-12, but I might go for a different one. anyone know of any good brands? (besides Rickenbacker of course. I can't afford that)

an AOL chatroom
Oct 3, 2002

The Dark Wind posted:

I should be getting one of these two soon enough, I just need to decide on which one! :)

Schecter C-1 Hellraiser:

ESP LTD V-500:

Edit: I've heard some bad things about LTD. Can anyone clarify the issue and tell me if it is worth worrying about?

I really like the look of that Schecter. I've got a thing for arched-top doublecuts lately, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

bisticles posted:

I really like the look of that Schecter. I've got a thing for arched-top doublecuts lately, though.

Agreed. Also, I can't stand Flying V's because sometimes I want to sit down and play.