Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LuchadoresDelNixon
Feb 7, 2007

Moonbase Alpha provides a realistic simulation of life on a natural satellite

Rincewind posted:

Oh no, Roy. :smith:

I wonder how this one'll get printed.
Here's hoping for a fold-out page!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Yes, yes, poor Roy. But what about Belkar, how will this effect him?

Gally
May 31, 2001

Come on!
I'm wondering if Roy WILL come back? I could see the writer using a character death to make fun of 'rerolls' mid campaign. I hope Roy does come back, as funny as reroll jokes could be.

It's sad Roy died, but I'm kinda happy his very very poor choices did lead to death. Too many D&D chars seem to have an aura of I CAN BE AS STUPID AS I WANT AND I'LL BE OK!

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Wasn't the dragon headed back out of the battle when Roy got meteored to the face? Wouldn't this mean he fell behind enemy lines? Where there are tons of clerics zombifying people? Not to mention redcloak?

Gally
May 31, 2001

Come on!
Oh god, that would be amazingly horrible if we got Zombie Roy.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

Gally posted:

Oh god, that would be amazingly horrible if we got Zombie Roy.

Death Knight Roy :madmax:

BAWRLIN
Nov 23, 2003

He'll regret it till his dying day, if ever he lives that long.
If Roy stays dead I will be very cross. :colbert:

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

Ferrinus posted:

Death Knight Roy :madmax:

Archlich Roy :toot:

That way he can become a spellcaster like dad wants!

bgaesop
Nov 1, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Man I am enjoying this comic. I'm so excited to see where this goes that I can't even get upset.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.

Fuego Fish posted:

I think he'll have to do this. I mean, you can't be a Death Knight if your sword regularly emits energy whose sole effect is weakening you.

Women's Rights?
Nov 16, 2005

Ain't give a damn
:gonk:

No! Roy! Where the hell has Durkon been during all of this and where is he now?

If the zombie dragon's head could land on the archlich or whatever V was fighting then why couldn't Roy have landed on the pile'o'hobgoblins Belkar's been killing? :argh:

Jon
Nov 30, 2004

Fuego Fish posted:

Don't lich's get stuck at whatever caster level they are when they become a lich?

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Rolled a 1 on the random encounter table, didn't you?

High Altitude Hair Stylist posted:

Don't lich's get stuck at whatever caster level they are when they become a lich?

You're thinking of Azalin from Ravenloft. Standard liches are just casters with a template so there's nothing stopping them from leveling up.

Daneaxe
Jan 9, 2006
Fighter go splat.

This amused me far too much in that he didn't think of the butt-saving magical item until too late. See that, people? That's GOOD fantasy writing.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Wisdom is always a dump stat for warriors.

Spaz mk. 2.0
Apr 19, 2005

Shank 'em if ya got 'em, fellas!

Gyges posted:

Yes, yes, poor Roy. But what about Belkar, how will this effect him?

It makes a great day into the BEST DAY EVER.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Does it make me a cynical person if I predicted this comic almost exactly from the previous one, except his sword ended up impaling him at the end?

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Spaz mk. 2.0 posted:

It makes a great day into the BEST DAY EVER.

Well, it's either the best day ever or the worst. Since the mark was tied to Roy, his death will likely either negate it(BEST DAY EVER), or activate it(WORST DAY EVER).

Though if Belkar is growing gradually weaker, to the point where he's unable to kill anything, does that make it so he starts getting experience from all these hobgoblins?

Spaz mk. 2.0
Apr 19, 2005

Oh right, that. I doubt it would activate because of something Belkar had no control over, even if he was partly responsible.

NutShellBill
Dec 4, 2004
I AM SPUTNIK'S PARACHUTE ACCOUNT

Gyges posted:

Though if Belkar is growing gradually weaker, to the point where he's unable to kill anything, does that make it so he starts getting experience from all these hobgoblins?

Nope, I don't think the spell drains levels, but more likely his strength and maybe constitution. Even if it did drain a level, he'd stil be ECL11-13, until the effects became permanant.

Gassire
Dec 30, 2004

"They're people. Deeply flawed, yes, but deeply human too. And maybe that's saying the same thing."

Gyges posted:

Well, it's either the best day ever or the worst. Since the mark was tied to Roy, his death will likely either negate it(BEST DAY EVER), or activate it(WORST DAY EVER).

What if it didn't effect the spell at all and they have to lug Roy's corpse around to avoid the ill-effects. Though we know Durkon's high enough to cast raise dead it'll just be a factor of having to do some quest to appease Thor to be able to cast the spell. Nordic gods aren't too big on restoring the dead.

gothfae
Mar 28, 2004

There seems no plan because it is all plan. There seems no center because it is all center.
There are days when I read OotS after reading the comments here the day or two before, and I ponder to myself whether he occasionally reads this site and thinks "Wow, these guys are evil assholes, I'm going use that idea, but crank it up a notch. BAM!" That is, if he were Emeril Lagasse.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Gassire posted:

What if it didn't effect the spell at all and they have to lug Roy's corpse around to avoid the ill-effects. Though we know Durkon's high enough to cast raise dead it'll just be a factor of having to do some quest to appease Thor to be able to cast the spell. Nordic gods aren't too big on restoring the dead.

That's certainly another option, but when Belkar was counting on the res to gently caress with Miko V only raised the objection of regent cost. I'm pretty sure Azure City will spot the diamonds and stuff for Roy's res. Belkar would definitely been hosed though.

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

Literature is not exhaustible, for the sufficient and simple reason that no single book is. A book is not an isolated being: it is a relationship, an axis of innumerable relationships.

Gyges posted:

Since the mark was tied to Roy,

That's assuming Lord Dead Old Guy wasn't lying, like he did a lot.

Soylentbits
Apr 2, 2007

im worried that theyre setting her up to be jotaros future wife or something.

Gyges posted:

That's certainly another option, but when Belkar was counting on the res to gently caress with Miko V only raised the objection of regent cost. I'm pretty sure Azure City will spot the diamonds and stuff for Roy's res. Belkar would definitely been hosed though.

Didn't they have the spell ready for Shinjo though? They could probably use it on Roy fairly quickly if they wanted to right? Also note that there are currently no living stick minorities in the main cast.

Samedi
Aug 26, 2003

I turn evil.

Soylentbits posted:

Also note that there are currently no living stick minorities in the main cast.

There's a halfling, a dwarf, and an elf. The party is mostly minorities.

gothfae
Mar 28, 2004

There seems no plan because it is all plan. There seems no center because it is all center.

Soylentbits posted:

Also note that there are currently no living nappy headed hos in the main cast.

I think that's what he really meant.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Durkon is mighty tan for a Dwarf.

Soylentbits
Apr 2, 2007

im worried that theyre setting her up to be jotaros future wife or something.

gothfae posted:

Except that I've never actually seen that phrase before and Roy lacks hair and ho attributes.

Sock
Oct 8, 2001
Do me. Do me.

gothfae posted:

The Linear Guild has Sabine. :sharpton: Because only a racist like Burlew would show that the black woman must be evil!

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Rolled a 1 on the random encounter table, didn't you?
You know, in standard D&D rules, I'm pretty sure once a corpse is turned into an undead creature, it makes resurrection impossible, even with a wish spell.

Let's hope Redcloak doesn't get to Roy's corpse first.

Doug Lombardi
Jan 18, 2005

Gyges posted:

Durkon is mighty tan for a Dwarf.

Dwarves are usually more swarthy than you would expect from a subterranian race.

Caselogic.com
Jan 5, 2002

clockworkjoe posted:

You know, in standard D&D rules, I'm pretty sure once a corpse is turned into an undead creature, it makes resurrection impossible, even with a wish spell.

Becoming undead only stops a raise dead spell the lvl 7 resurrection will do it just fine without the level loss even.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

clockworkjoe posted:

There's always the Wish spell, although that does require a 17th level Cleric.

Volga Boatman
Sep 22, 2006

By striving to do the impossible, man has always achieved what is possible

High Altitude Hair Stylist posted:

Only in 2nd edition and even then there were exceptions (at least Larloch).

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

Soylentbits posted:

Except that I've never actually seen that phrase before and Roy lacks hair and ho attributes.
Well, there was that one time... :D

Buffer Overflow
Sep 3, 2006
Interweb Addict

LuchadoresDelNixon posted:

Here's hoping for a fold-out page!

Forget that, the only suitable format for that comic is part of a popup book.

Spaz mk. 2.0
Apr 19, 2005

I just realized this while reading it again. One of those potions, the Shillelagh Oil, could have been used to turn a normal quarterstaff into a 1d10 magic weapon and thus bypass Xykon's damage reduction. He just whips it out and says "Why do I even have these??" Come on Roy, you're supposed to be a smart fighter and you don't even know the weaknesses of the guy you've sworn to kill. :downs:

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

His sword was a +5 greatsword, which is far superior to a 1d10 shillelagh.

Edit:

WHY WON'T ANYONE THINK OF THE CRITTERS?

Seriously, all the critters he tossed out of the bag of tricks. They go splat too?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
Yeah, but he's never carried a quarterstaff. No one in the Order does, unless you count the Quarterstaff card in the board game.