Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spaz mk. 2.0
Apr 19, 2005

Shank 'em if ya got 'em, fellas!
They're in a city and had roughly a day to prepare. I'm sure there was one lying about somewhere. Also, bypassing Xykon's damage reduction (fifteen to everything that isn't a magical blunt weapon) probably would have made some difference.

I was just commenting on how he didn't see how that oil would have been useful to him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Myok
Apr 8, 2005

Technology on the brain.
Pillbug

Taerkar posted:

WHY WON'T ANYONE THINK OF THE CRITTERS?

Seriously, all the critters he tossed out of the bag of tricks. They go splat too?

I'm going to answer this because it beats workin'.

Under straight D&D falling damage rules, they're doomed :(

Under real-world physics, the cat at least has a non-fatal terminal velocity, and the same probably goes for the skunk as they're a similar size/shape/fluff-ratio. The beaver and the mouse, no idea. So at least 50% of the animals have a chance of surviving the landing with broken bones or other non-fatal injuries requiring medical attention. :stoat:

Update: according to this site, the mouse is going to survive, too.

Myok fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Apr 24, 2007

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Wanderer posted:

Yeah, but he's never carried a quarterstaff. No one in the Order does, unless you count the Quarterstaff card in the board game.

What about his club he carried around while his sword was broken? Wouldn't that have been much better as a shillelagh than a 2X4 club?

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Spaz mk. 2.0 posted:

They're in a city and had roughly a day to prepare. I'm sure there was one lying about somewhere. Also, bypassing Xykon's damage reduction (fifteen to everything that isn't a magical blunt weapon) probably would have made some difference.

I was just commenting on how he didn't see how that oil would have been useful to him.

Wait, Xykon has 15 DR against a +5 greatsword because it is not a blunt weapon? That's ridiculous. By the time you get up to +5 it shouldn't matter that it ain't blunt. Who wrote these rules?

Even given that, the +5 greatsword with undead smiting ability, even up against that DR, is certainly more useful than a 1d10 damage shillelagh, essentially making that oil useless to him.

Vomax
Oct 12, 2005

?

greatn posted:

Wait, Xykon has 15 DR against a +5 greatsword because it is not a blunt weapon? That's ridiculous. By the time you get up to +5 it shouldn't matter that it ain't blunt. Who wrote these rules?

Even given that, the +5 greatsword with undead smiting ability, even up against that DR, is certainly more useful than a 1d10 damage shillelagh, essentially making that oil useless to him.

With 3.5, Wizards of the Coast changed the DR rules from DR/+1, DR/+2, etc. to just DR/magic. I'm pretty sure things like DR/bludgeoning, DR/slashing, DR/cold iron and such existed before, but they started applying those more than just DR/magic as well as toning down the amount of DR across the board. Lots of people bitched about it, but I kind of saw it as a way to make DR worth something again.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
Besides, he could just hit Xykon with the flat of the sword and have it count as blunt.

edit: I was lurking through Traditional Games on a whim and found this image:

I had always wondered what exactly those things were in the strip!

Brannock fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Apr 25, 2007

Efreet saiid
Jan 29, 2006

by Lowtax
Flumph's are renowned for being the lamest monsters ever. They're all but harmless, lawful good, and there's no reason to kill them. They have since been updated to 3.5- they were even featured in a module in Dungeon.

Kahrytes
Jun 4, 2004

Now I need a drink. Not this one. Another one. And in a different place.

Brannock posted:

Besides, he could just hit Xykon with the flat of the sword and have it count as blunt.

Improvised/nonstandard use of his sword. -4 to hit. And Roy was already whiffing when he swung at Xykon, I do believe.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Hay guys so wut alinement is Belker :downs:.

Love it when webcomic authors just get furious and set stupid forum speculators right.

Kojiro
Aug 11, 2003

LET'S GET TO THE TOP!

Calaveron posted:

Love it when webcomic authors just get furious and set stupid forum speculators right.

D&D players will debate for hours over allignments of D&D comic book characters, it's very pointless and usually doesn't matter at all to the progression of the comic. But they still do it lots :)

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
It really doesn't help that a lot of OotS fans seem to have this stubborn determined streak where they'll take some random conjecture and run with it. Witness, for example, the debates over Miko.

Spaz mk. 2.0
Apr 19, 2005

Shank 'em if ya got 'em, fellas!

Calaveron posted:

And yet those stupid forum speculators still kept debating it, even after he told them how it is. There was like one thread about it a week up until the strip with Belkar's two evil consciences.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Spaz mk. 2.0 posted:

And yet those stupid forum speculators still kept debating it, even after he told them how it is. There was like one thread about it a week up until the strip with Belkar's two evil consciences.

Honestly, if I ever start my own webcomic the one thing I'll never do is attach them to an official forum, just like how Achewood has no official forum (that I know of).
Though Achewood has an unofficial forum somewhere out there, which loving sucks.

Calaveron fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Apr 26, 2007

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

Wanderer posted:

It really doesn't help that a lot of OotS fans seem to have this stubborn determined streak where they'll take some random conjecture and run with it. Witness, for example, the debates over Miko.

Hell, witness the one in this very thread, back around when the strips about Roy beating the hell out of Fallen Miko were posted. I forget their name, but someone was unhappy about the majority of comic readers "absolutely denouncing" (or whatever) Miko and excusing all of Roy's horrible crimes and god Miko's actions are so unrealistic.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Ferrinus posted:

Hell, witness the one in this very thread, back around when the strips about Roy beating the hell out of Fallen Miko were posted. I forget their name, but someone was unhappy about the majority of comic readers "absolutely denouncing" (or whatever) Miko and excusing all of Roy's horrible crimes and god Miko's actions are so unrealistic.

That'd be me you're referring to I think. I can't even remember what I was arguing about her at the time, and I'm too lazy to check, plus hell, who wants to get into that shitfest again, honestly?

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Brannock posted:

edit: I was lurking through Traditional Games on a whim and found this image:

I had always wondered what exactly those things were in the strip!

It's awesome that they felt the need to mention that they are helpless once flipped over.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Oh hey new strip.

:siren: http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0444.html :siren:

:(

Sock
Oct 8, 2001
Do me. Do me.

Nintendo64fouuurrrrr posted:

Oh hey new strip.

:siren: http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0444.html :siren:

:(

Speak of the Flumph.

I do find it funny that they determine death by "X's in his eyes"

Soylentbits
Apr 2, 2007

im worried that theyre setting her up to be jotaros future wife or something.
drat it all Durkon. You don't know Roy at all.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

This only goes to further my love for Durkon, under-used though he is. Even if he's completely wrong, that was the right thing to say and well put.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

tsob posted:

That'd be me you're referring to I think. I can't even remember what I was arguing about her at the time, and I'm too lazy to check, plus hell, who wants to get into that shitfest again, honestly?

As far as I can recall:

-Roy was wrong to attack Miko and everyone should have been more sensitive about her troubling experience (gutting an old man in half and being punished for it)
-Everyone here is clearly too biased to talk to on the issue because of how they condemned Miko and justified Roy on "every level"
-Miko is the least realistic villain in a comic that contains an undead mage who wants to rule the world and somebody's evil twin

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

I'd just like to point out that regardless of whether Roy gets resurrected, there'd better be a few comics of him meeting his father in the afterlife, complete with lectures of if he'd been a wizard he'd know feather fall and none of this would happen.

Roy's dad is probably my favorite minor character, bringing the perfect mix of annoying his son for personal pleasure and trying to help his son by annoying him that every father figure should employ.

evilsake
Oct 25, 2004

by Fragmaster

Big Mad Drongo posted:

I'd just like to point out that regardless of whether Roy gets resurrected, there'd better be a few comics of him meeting his father in the afterlife, complete with lectures of if he'd been a wizard he'd know feather fall and none of this would happen.

Roy's dad is probably my favorite minor character, bringing the perfect mix of annoying his son for personal pleasure and trying to help his son by annoying him that every father figure should employ.

I like how he doesn't care at all that he's messing Roy up from beyond the grave. "Well, yeah kid, no poo poo I've moved on from your mother here in the afterlife. Do you know how much after life booty there is up here?!"

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

Les soldats se trouvent dans la vérité.

Taerkar posted:

Wisdom is always a dump stat for warriors.

Considering that warriors have crappy Will saves, Wisdom score is more important for them than either Intelligence or Charisma.

Taerkar posted:

WHY WON'T ANYONE THINK OF THE CRITTERS?

Seriously, all the critters he tossed out of the bag of tricks. They go splat too?

Aren't these summoned? If they are then they'll simply return to where they came from when they are destroyed.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
This is going to sound stupid, but I wish the title of today's comic wasn't "He's Dead Jim". Way to spoil it for me before I'd clicked over!

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.

Taear posted:

This is going to sound stupid, but I wish the title of today's comic wasn't "He's Dead Jim". Way to spoil it for me before I'd clicked over!

Didn't see it that way. Given the rather consistent way that (non-animated) corpses are shown with x's for eyes, Roy's pretty clearly dead at the end of #443.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Have there been any psionic characters in the comic yet? I really can't recall any.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

greatn posted:

Have there been any psionic characters in the comic yet? I really can't recall any.

Maybe one :v:

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
I decided to skim the archives, and I found a piece of foreshadowing that might support Hinjo replacing Roy. Note the party size and composition.

The Werle
Aug 8, 2005

Fireworks for Christmas is absolutely American

Brannock posted:

I decided to skim the archives, and I found a piece of foreshadowing that might support Hinjo replacing Roy. Note the party size and composition.

Ummm...no.

The purpose of Soon's band was to establish a reason for each of the snarl gates having a different method of defense, and to set up Shojo as somebody with knowledge to fill the Order in on backstory. There's nothing there to suggest that Hinjo would join the order.

Not to say that its impossible, but between him being the new Leader of the Sapphire Guard and having a few hundred evil backstabbing nobles who would take over the city and ruin everything I doubt he's going anywhere.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Why were Durkon and Haley so upset about Roy's death? Is there some reason they can't just rez him like nothing happened later?

Gally
May 31, 2001

Come on!

tsob posted:

Why were Durkon and Haley so upset about Roy's death? Is there some reason they can't just rez him like nothing happened later?

Roleplaying experiance. :v:

gothfae
Mar 28, 2004

There seems no plan because it is all plan. There seems no center because it is all center.

tsob posted:

Eatten by ghouls.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

tsob posted:

Well, the author might be holding to 'no resurrections of main characters' to keep dramatic tension up. Or the GM of the fictional game could have the same house rule for the same reason.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

The Werle posted:

Not to say that its impossible, but between him being the new Leader of the Sapphire Guard and having a few hundred evil backstabbing nobles who would take over the city and ruin everything I doubt he's going anywhere.

Yeah, the only way I can see Hinjo joining the Order is if this arc ends with Azure City, its gate, and the Sapphire Guard all being destroyed, and if it did, it wouldn't make him a very good comedic foil.

evilsake
Oct 25, 2004

by Fragmaster

Wanderer posted:

Yeah, the only way I can see Hinjo joining the Order is if this arc ends with Azure City, its gate, and the Sapphire Guard all being destroyed, and if it did, it wouldn't make him a very good comedic foil.

I don't see why this can be ruled out as a possible ending. He may not be a good comic foil initially, but since he's basically Paladin Roy as it is I can see him eventually fitting in and becoming funny.

NutShellBill
Dec 4, 2004
I AM SPUTNIK'S PARACHUTE ACCOUNT

tsob posted:

I think there was some rather subtle foreshadowing, when roy is fighting Xykon, and comments that they're over the battlefield, and demands that Xykon turn the dragon around. It really didn't seem to make much sense, but I have a sneaking suspicion that Roy is going to raised as undead, preventing ressurection.

LuchadoresDelNixon
Feb 7, 2007

Moonbase Alpha provides a realistic simulation of life on a natural satellite

Fuego Fish posted:

Maybe one :v:

Maybe two! :v:

Edit: just to derail and rant...I've tried so hard to give Erf the benefit of the doubt. But what the hell is going on these days? I thought they had already rescued Zamussels, with the Gobwin Knob trap foiled? Why the hell is she still in the forest?? :argh:

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

NutShellBill posted:

It really didn't seem to make much sense, but I have a sneaking suspicion that Roy is going to raised as undead, preventing ressurection.

If Roy's body retains intellegence, then it'd be almost as good as ressurection. Durkon will just have to memorize some harm spells, and everyone will need to take a few panels to get used to the stench.

Also, imagine Belkar's reaction.

Edit: of course, if Roy isn't raised as an intellegent undead, the team could have V control him for old times sake. Elan wouldn't be the dumbest member of the party anymore!

Schwarzwald fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Apr 26, 2007

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

LuchadoresDelNixon posted:

Edit: just to derail and rant...I've tried so hard to give Erf the benefit of the doubt. But what the hell is going on these days? I thought they had already rescued Zamussels, with the Gobwin Knob trap foiled? Why the hell is she still in the forest?? :argh:

No, the vampire convinced the blond guy to back off since they knew it was a trap, so now the chick is just sitting there in the forest.

And apparently Parson knows a way to cheese out of the situation now.